Warhammer

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer
Last edited:
Even though I like the gameplay of Fantasy better overall (though I don't know with the new rule book), 40k's story has always really appealed to me.

I had a Guard/Gaunt's Ghost army (cause I loved the novels)... didn't really go anywhere with it. Tried Grey Knights, liked them for a while. Now I've been thinking if I get the funds rolling again I'd do Tyranids. (Even though I'd have to order online or something because all the sales people at my local GW creep me out).

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Space marines looks like good fun.

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
YACCBS, Legato Bluesummers, Daenaerys Targaryen, Revy, Kate Beckett, Samantha Carter, Matsumoto Rangiku
I had no idea they were making an RPG WH40k game. Looks pretty damn good, too. Makes me wanna play DoW2 again.

I never got that into the tabletop game - I really liked the world, and I would play with my brother's armies, but it was too expensive for me to buy my own stuff. I did, however, really enjoy making scenery out of scraps of styrofoam and carboard and stuff. Once my brother moved out I kinda forgot about it - but he left behind the first Gaunt's Ghosts novel, and someone showed me the opening cinematic of DoW1 (so. good.), and that was that.

Speaking of which, I really need to get my hands on Blood Pact.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
I had no idea they were making an RPG WH40k game. Looks pretty damn good, too. Makes me wanna play DoW2 again.

Space Marines is more of a third person squad action game than it is RPG. I hope it has co-op.

Kujata

X's Brother
Speaking of which, I really need to get my hands on Blood Pact.
Yes, yes you do; its a great read.

the 40k universe has to be in my top 3 of any universes I've ever read into, the gritty style is just so much more appealing than the vast majority of scifis out there. But why do these all have to be about the goddamn Ultramarines? I mean cmon? They're they cops of space marines, I don't want to play AS them! When our little crew makes terrain/bases that feature dead bodies (and my brother can attest to this) we always use Ultramarines. Just so we can slight them as much as possible.
That being said, I am looking forward to both the game and the movie. Seems that they'll both be great fun.

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer
The only army I've collected to date is the Space Wolves. Unfortunately, my force got lost in the warp (read: very clumsy removal firm snapped a lot of my plastic figures in awkward to repair places). However, I've given thought to creating a new army, even drawing up a few army lists for the Ordo Malleus (hitting daemons with a hammer since M31), the Imperial Guard, Codex Space Marines, and Tyranids. And the last one only got thwarted by GW releasing the latest codex (I wanted a genestealer army).

At present, my current idea is a Necron force, inspired by the campaign cutscenes in Dawn of War: Dark Crusade, and the Ciaphas Cain novel
Caves of Ice
. Unfortunately, I can't make a force just of Pariahs (although, any opponents I may face will probably think this is very fortunate! XD), so I'll go for the other very striking image: hordes of Warriors.

In a 1,500 point army, I can fit in seventy Warriors (I could fit in more, but after I equipped my Necron Lord, he came to a little over 200 points). >=D

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
:lol: How come? I would collect Tyranids or Chaos, but my painting skills are pretty lacklustre. With Necrons, black undercoat, boltgun metal basecoat, danab mud wash, boltgun metal drybrush for highlights, a bit of scorpion green on the power cells, and we're ready to rock.

TBH, I'd prefer one of the forces of Order (Guard, Marines, Inquisition, Eldar, Tau), but IIRC my dice rolling with my Space Wolves army was pretty dire (low on armour saves, high on leadership tests). So, if I use a more antagonistic army (Chaos, Orks, Dark Eldar, Tyranids, Necrons) and win, that's awesome. But if I lose, it's probably for the best. XD

They always seemed like the baby army to me. High stats, not a lot of choice in HQ or Troops, oh and if they die you just roll to get them back up yay! *facepalm*

They just aren't fun to play against in my experience. That and Tau... buggers sitting on the table edges. Your close combat sucking doesn't matter if it takes three turns of your way too powerful for regular guys guns to get through to you!
[/rant]

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
:lol: Not a lot of choice in HQ and Troops is a understatement... only one in each slot.

Besides, considering the quantities of power weapons (and choppas) in the galaxy, it's theoretically quite easy to take down the Necrons - especially the basic warriors - in close combat. As long as the Lord doesn't take a Resurrection Orb, which I think is a cheap trick. Pity the only Lord minature I can find has one. DX

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
I have no idea. XD I only saw it given a page of coverage it a games magazine (which was basically just saying it had been announced there was going to be a 40K MMORPG and who it was made by), and then searched the trailer on youtube.

Personally, I'm wondering if there's going to be different characteristics based on not just the "race" (Loyalist Marine, Traitor Marine, Guardsman, Tau, etc.), but on the "force" (e.g., for Loyalist Marines, Ultramarines, Blood Angels, Space Wolves, Black Templers).

Still, I'd probably be a member of the Ordo Malleus. :)

Not a lot of choice in HQ and Troops is a understatement... only one in each slot.
It's been quite a few years since I'd seen the codex, so I wasn't sure if there was an update to that yet or not.

Personally, I'm wondering if there's going to be different characteristics based on not just the "race" (Loyalist Marine, Traitor Marine, Guardsman, Tau, etc.), but on the "force" (e.g., for Loyalist Marines, Ultramarines, Blood Angels, Space Wolves, Black Templers).
I wanna be a Genestealer cultist! Old skool white dwarf armies ftw.

EDIT: I'm in love with this new model.
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod860018a
m1290073a_99069915045_TheChangeling_445x319.jpg

Perhaps I just need a Demons army... then I can play both games as long as the bases aren't glued on too tight. :awesome:

Last edited:

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
It's been quite a few years since I'd seen the codex, so I wasn't sure if there was an update to that yet or not.
Unfortunately, no. Although, I really don't think it would be appropriate to expand the Troops section. Also, I guess there's a second HQ option in the form of the C'tan.

And I still think Necron from FFIX was a C'tan. :awesome:
I wanna be a Genestealer cultist! Old skool white dwarf armies ftw.
:O I hadn't thought of that... *groan* I want a Genestealer Cultist army for on the tabletop... but no limos, that's just...stupid. :doh:

The new daemon models are quite cool, aren't they? Personally, I like the look of the new Daemon Prince kit.

EDIT - creator of the thread, and first to take us to a new page. :D

My boyfriend had a Genestealer cult army back when it was "legal". He took his unfinished Guard army and made them look really cool and had this toy car he converted to be the limbo/truck with a necromunda goon with a heavy stubber on top.

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Sounding awesome, but I really wish they'd given the job to someone who knew the universe a bit better...

"Ultramarines division"? Ouch. And the presence of Valkyries sounds to me like there's gonna be support from the Imperial Guard/Navy. :awesome: Cos as everyone knows, the Astartes prefer Thunderhawks.

Kujata

X's Brother
Sounding awesome, but I really wish they'd given the job to someone who knew the universe a bit better...
Someone who knows the universe better? Relic handled both Dawn or War games, and their respective expansions, I think they know the universe very well actually.

"Ultramarines division"? Ouch. And the presence of Valkyries sounds to me like there's gonna be support from the Imperial Guard/Navy. :awesome: Cos as everyone knows, the Astartes prefer Thunderhawks.
If you ask me the use of division instead of chapter is likely the writer of the article, or possibly a company higher up who was talking after being briefed without really knowing his stuff. I trust their developers from the previous games they've done in the universe. But I agree with you about the not using a thunderhawk, made me do a double take when I read it. Then again, it is set on a forge world so PDF or guard support is far from unlikely.

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Someone who knows the universe better? Relic handled both Dawn or War games, and their respective expansions, I think they know the universe very well actually.
:lol: I meant the person writing the article. And what you say about Relic is very true. The only expansion Relic outsourced was Soulstorm. I haven't played that one, but I understand it's easily the worst expansion for DoW.

Incidently, I know it was released around two years ago now, but I was just re-reading the designers notes. How do you guys feel about how, in Codex: Chaos Demons, the Daemon Prince is in the Heavy Support section? I mean, I understand why they moved it there, but thematically, it doesn't sit well with me. Personally, I would want a Daemon Prince to lead my army. DX

That is pretty weird. It reminds me of the way Vampires used to (or still do, I don't like the new book so I don't know much about it) work. If you had less than 2000pts., your army had to be lead by the Necromancer, because the Vampire Thrall wasn't magical enough to keep the skeletons alive.

I was in a little hobby store I didn't know existed in my town the other day and he had some awesome old skool 40k stuff sitting around, like the old Daemonettes. Man I can't wait until I have enough money to start another army now. XP

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Well, there are now Vampire units - the Black Coach now has the Vampire rule, there are Blood Knights (units of Blood Dragon vampires), and the Varghulf (the logical conclusion to the Strigoi bloodline) - so it's easier to fit vampires into the force.

Of course, each of those units is in the Rare section.

Maybe we should get a mod to change the thread name, so it includes the Fantasy system as well. Thoughts?

Top Bottom