What are you listening to?

Mormz

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Dustin
T.3.R - Zuruck 1,2

Just kind of stumbled upon these guys last night. They sound a bit inexperienced with their song structure, but have some cool music shits going on. The lead singer looks a bit feminine, but has a pretty deep voice. O_o

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
Stan - Eminem

My tea's gone cold
I'm wonderin' why
I got out of bed at all
The morning rain clouds up my window
And I can't see at all
And even if I could
It'd all be grey
Put your picture on my wall
It reminds me that
It's not so bad
It's not so bad...

Goes well with the rain outside my window.

SoulReaper

Titties 'n' Beer
AKA
Lord_Graf
Ⓐaron;165097 said:
I'm probably several days late, but I rate this choice with an A+

Loved what I heard, where to go next with Eno?

Captain Beefheart & His Magic band - Big eyed beans From Venus

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Loved what I heard, where to go next with Eno?

Captain Beefheart & His Magic band - Big eyed beans From Venus

For me the quintessential four Eno records are Here Come the Warm Jets, Taking Tiger Mountain, Another Green World and Before and After Science, but really, his ambient work is essential listening for anyone with even a casual interest in the genre as well, since he pretty much invented it. With that I'd say go for the works labelled Ambient 1 through 4 (volumes 2 & 3 were collaborations with Harold Budd and Laraaji, respectively), Discreet Music and The Pearl (also a collaboration with Harold Budd). There's honestly a lot of gaps in my Eno knowledge, though; I haven't listened to Music for Films or pretty much anything he released as a solo artist past 1980 or so. Though I do have a couple of other solo albums of his downloaded which I intend to listen to eventually. He also recorded some collaborations with David Byrne and others with Robert Fripp which are widely regarded as essential listening, though despite being a huge fan of both Talking Heads and King Crimson (as well as Eno) I don't have them. Allmusic.com also gave a rave review (five-star rating, iirc) to Fourth World, Vol. 1 with Jon Hassell, so I'd assume it's worth having, but I honestly forgot it even existed until I looked at his discography again. And you can't go wrong with Velvet Underground alumni, so Wrong Way Up is probably also worth having.

And then of course there's his production work, which opens up dozens more artists' worth of essential listening. Perhaps the best album he produced is Talking Heads' Remain in Light, though it really has quite a bit of stiff competition, not just from his other work with the Heads but from his work with groups like Devo (get Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo!), U2 (The Joshua Tree is probably his most essential album with them, though there are several gems), James (Laid), and on and on and on. He's also responsible, though not explicitly credited, for the sound of David Bowie's Berlin trilogy: Low, Heroes and Lodger. The first two are essential and the second is only a step below it (and if you like those you might as well go onto Scary Monsters, which Eno didn't produce but still unmistakably bears his influence).

Really though, I'd say get Before and After Science next, since it's the most similar to Another Green World and seems to have been consciously crafted as a sequel. Those two, plus his first two albums, are his solo works that I return to most frequently. I need to be more adventurous about his discography - honestly, until you asked me that question I'd forgotten how fucking big it is, and how much of it I still haven't explored.

I should add; I have Sun Ra's Visits Planet Earth and Interstellar Low Ways. What should I get next?

Mirrorthrone - Ils Brandiront leurs Idoles

Last edited:

SoulReaper

Titties 'n' Beer
AKA
Lord_Graf
Seems like I've got lots of homework to do :monster: Thanks. Gotta love artists you just have to explore.

Venom - To Hell And Back

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
No problem :monster: Speaking of those, it looks like I made my edit about Sun Ra too late for you to notice it; after Visits Planet Earth and Interstellar Low Ways, I have Atlantis queued up, but what else is essential?

Mirrorthrone - The Fecal Rebellion

the title seems, well, shitty until you actually read the lyrics. If you can tolerate a ton of synths with your prog this is pretty much perfect.

Last edited:

SoulReaper

Titties 'n' Beer
AKA
Lord_Graf
Well I have only heard Jazz In Silhouette and Lanquidity so far, which both are known as essentials I think. Loved them both, two completely different records. It's hard to tell with Sun Ra where to start apparently, it's going to take some serious time to get through his discography.

Venom - Countess bathory

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Yeah Sun Ra's discography is pretty much as intimidatingly large as Zappa's.

I should also add that Eno is composing the score for Peter Jackson's new film The Lovely Bones, which is just awesome.

Mirrorthrone - Une Existence dont plus Personne ne Jouit

SoulReaper

Titties 'n' Beer
AKA
Lord_Graf
Pretty sure Ra's disco is bigger than Zappa's. Although there's still lots of unreleased Zappa stuff in the vaults.

That's great. Haven't heard about The Lovely Bones, hopefully it's what's Peter Jackson is really good at, gory Horror comedies.

Venom - Nightmare

I Am Not Me

The Mean Clack
AKA
Mei, Koibito, Stalker, Little Dude, Nami
DBSK. Tohoshinki. TWJGDSJHLIOIAJLDJLKJAKLJLDAJK

WTF I hate being such a fangirl. It's almost like a disability. FFFFUUUUUUUUU

GO KOREANS :reptar:

Kikyou

just a fleeting memory
AKA
M-Mira, crackitlackin, Izaya Orihara, SAILOR NARU, Sharon Rainsworth, Mara, Brosuke Hanamura, Commissioner Gordon, Santa Claus, Lenneth Valkyrie
Fairy Tales and Sand Castles - Lifehouse

SoulReaper

Titties 'n' Beer
AKA
Lord_Graf
Deeds of Flesh - The endurance

I find it incredible that a pummeling, brutal death metal band like DoF can pull off an 11 minutes epic without it becoming boring. I mean a band like Nile has epic sensibilities but Deeds? Hell this track crushes skulls.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Pretty sure Ra's disco is bigger than Zappa's. Although there's still lots of unreleased Zappa stuff in the vaults.
makes sense

That's great. Haven't heard about The Lovely Bones, hopefully it's what's Peter Jackson is really good at, gory Horror comedies.
nah it's actually completely different from anything he's filmed to date. I'm not familiar with the novel it's based on apart from its reputation (it was a fairly steady seller before the project was announced and it's only increased its pace since then) but the trailer that came out a few weeks ago floored me. The Lovely Bones is written from the point of view of a teenager who's been raped and murdered, viewing events from a fairly unreligious afterlife. Alice Sebold has a reputation as a novelist who covers extremely morbid subject matter, but does so in an almost otherworldly quality.

Deeds of Flesh - The endurance

I find it incredible that a pummeling, brutal death metal band like DoF can pull off an 11 minutes epic without it becoming boring. I mean a band like Nile has epic sensibilities but Deeds? Hell this track crushes skulls.

*insta-download*

Though to be fair, Origin did the same with Antithesis. Yeah I know, only nine and a half minutes but it's still in the same ballpark.

Dead Kennedys - Stars and Stripes of Corruption

Is there a better lyricist still working than Jello Biafra? Well aside from Dylan. I'm not aware of any.

Last edited:

SoulReaper

Titties 'n' Beer
AKA
Lord_Graf
Thats too bad. Braindead is the most hilarious film ever made along with Spinal Tap and Monthy Python & The Holy Grail if you ask me. Might listen to some DK myself tonight, it's been literally years

The Mothers of Invention - Invocation & Ritual Dance Of The Young pumpkin

Top Bottom