What Comics Are You Reading?

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I really think that it has to do with how you're acclimated to the particular medium and its framerate before seeing it. There's a really interesting thing that I've noticed about media and frame rates for me, and it probably has a lot to do with how much time I spend consuming things, and my exposure to them.

If I've been playing a bunch of games and/or seeing things shot/recorded at 60fps and then go to watch a film – I visibly notice that they're shot at 24fps and a lot of the motion blurring on quick pans and other things like that really irk me. If I've been watching a lot of animated media and then go to watch a film, I definitely don't ever get bothered by the framerate being 24fps at all by comparison. I'm also one of the few folks who saw the Hobbit films in theaters at 48fps, and while they do have a different quality to them, it wasn't one I disliked, but it is definitely different and made me judgmental about the limitations of lower framerates on films. What's interesting is that Dragonball FighterZ implemented hybridization in their game's cel animation: the gameplay is locked at 60fps, but every time that it initiates an animation cut scene as a part of a move, those are locked at 24fps so that it feels more like the anime does. They don't seem choppy by comparison, but there IS definitely an immediately noticeable difference to them where they "feel" more like the anime because of it.

I think that that's a subtle "bias" that your brain has for what it gets used to. When it comes to cel-shaded animation, since that's mostly used as a game medium if you're not used to is as an animation style, it's likely that you'll see it like you'd see a game underperforming and feel that it's choppy/dropping frames. Like I said before, the only one that bothered me was The Dragon Prince, because they change the frame rate they use between particular scenes, and the inconsistency stands out really jarringly for me.

X :neo:

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
More updates about it: https://io9.gizmodo.com/shueisha-is-making-a-huge-push-toward-accessible-offic-1832123493

Late last year, the U.S. edition of Weekly Shonen Jump—Shueisha’s premiere anthology for its shonen manga titles—announced a complete overhaulinto a digital subscription service, offering the latest chapters of its biggest series for free on a weekly basis, translated into English for a simultaneous release with WSJ in Japan, as well as access to over 10,000 chapters of manga archives if you signed up for a $2-a-month subscription.
Seriously. If you read ANY of the WSJ manga, you need this.

X:neo:

ChipNoir

Internet Ghost
AKA
Mister Spooks.
I've got a backlog of Delicious Dungeon and My Brother's Husband. I try to take myself out to the cafe down the hill once a week to disconnect from the internet and be someplace that isn't my bedroom. The polar vortex though has made this more difficult lately.

Top Bottom