What premise would you love to see in a future Final Fantasy title?

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
I usually think of it in terms of the setting more than the story themes. I'm fine with the generic "band of misfits opposing an evil empire" story as long as the setting and characters are all interesting. I'm not someone who cares too much for the deeper themes.

The setting I'd like to see done properly is the hi-tech sci-fi setting. They've kinda experimented with it a bit in some of their games (Esthar in FF8, Academia in FF13-2). I'd like to see a whole game based on that style. I'm thinking of a more clean and optimistic version of Cyberpunk 2077.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Girl With A Strong Opinion
Yeah, like how Nintendo went back to not using discs for their home consoles anymore with Switch 'cause back in the 64 era, it was no discs up 'till Gamecube right up to Wii as far as I can remember...or was it Wii-U that was the last Nintendo Console that used discs? But it's like Mr. Ite said, most of us don't even use discs anymore because almost everything is via the internet.

Anyone think that a premise based around the internet be good. It could be a magical based internet.

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
Wasn't XIII as a whole kind of based on that style? That's how I would describe it.

Yeah sort of. But its setting wasn't really used as a meaningful part of the story. It was just pretty backdrops for the character-driven story.
I want something much more immersive where the nature of the world affects gameplay. Like using a flying car to move about a city. Or using a high-speed train to zip across the world. Or interesting high-tech weapons that lead to cool gameplay ideas.
It's not really sci-fi if you fight enemies by punching them (Snow).

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
I said this early on based on my first impressions of Versus-XIII, but I'll repeat it here:

1. You're part of the Mafia Triads, on the opposite side of the law, and yet your job is to protect the Crystal.
2. Your girlfriend is a member of an opposing family, but duty and her legacy forces her to fight you as an enemy.
3. Even though you and your girl are enemies, you try to get back together despite your families (ala Romeo/Juliet).
4. As a result of fighting your fate and bad rep, the Crystals suddenly become your enemy and the world is on a manhunt for you.
5. You decide to take over the world on your own terms, despite being the "bad guy". Some people agree with you, while others keep opposing you, and you do your best to convince both sides.

It sounded cool in my head...

Ghost X

- I'd like what I've read to be the "original" version of FFXV to take place, like what Blade seems to be getting at. Seemed to be more interesting than what we ended up with.

- In a similar vein, I'd put some moral grey into the whole concept of the traditional warrior of light protagonist being "good", by making them the villain :P. They may even feel and act like the traditional good guy, which could cause tension for the player throughout the game ("Am I doing the right thing!? Is this game just subverting the tropes,, or am I actually the evil person!?), perhaps providing you options for multiple endings or whatever.

This seems to be what they were originally trying to do with Noctis (being in control of darkness and death spells, etc...), but it has been a while since I've read possibly bogus theories, so I could be wrong about that.

Anyways, playing as the protagonist (taking on the appearance of the villain with the associated FF tropes), maybe the "void" or a time-compressed existence (etc) you wish to bring to the world is actually a good thing (eg: a heaven of sorts that ends suffering), based on solid evidence and logic, but no one believes you, so a team of unlikely "heroes" attacks you while going on their delusional campaign to turn the world against you :P. The bitter sweat ending would be that you'd provided the choice for people to come with you, but not all your loved ones do because they're sticking with their paranoid guts, and about half of the world perishes (if not more) to the alternative option (a status quo bringing some kind of doom *insert allegory to real world events here*).

Only part I would be uncomfortable with is having you start off in a powerful position, like most villains in FF games. I think it would be better to be an underling that tries to gain favour within a system of power (or causing revolution, or whatever). I'd also want a morally just reason for "stealing" the crystals from other countries, etc, which from the perspective of the WoL / heroes could be seen as stealing still :P.

Last edited:

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
Isn't there the "My life as a villain" game in the same vein as My Life as A Prince? I swear the same teams that did Crystal Chronicles had some sort of game like those...

Edit: Yep, "My Life As a Darklord" Although it's only a tower defense game.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
@Ghost X
Though it didn't go into nearly as much detail as you described you'd hope for, and it didn't have you play from his perspective, Dissidia 012 did do pretty much what you're suggesting with the Warrior of Light.

There, he worked with Kain to betray/kill their fellow Warriors of Harmony in order to protect them from being killed by manikins instead, which would have resulted in them being erased when the world was reset instead of being reset along with it. There is then some hostility between Lightning and WoL when this all comes to light, as they don't exactly see eye to eye on this.

Instead of working with him, she -- along with Laguna, Yuna, Vaan, Kain and Tifa -- head off to destroy the gateway allowing manikins to enter the world. They succeed, but die in the doing, and are consequently erased.

Pretty much exactly what you described in the broad strokes. :monster:

Unlike your suggestion, though, you come at it more from Lightning's perspective. WoL's is still highlighted, though, and he's still portrayed as valiant and selfless in all the ways you'd expect him to be.

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
- I'd like what I've read to be the "original" version of FFXVIII to take place, like what Blade seems to be getting at. Seemed to be more interesting than what we ended up with.

18 in Roman numerals looks too clumsy to be in a game title. Maybe they should switch to regular indian/arabic numerals after FF16

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
We've had MCMLXXXVIII and shit in movies for a while, I don't see how XVIII would be that much more difficult :monster:

Also what did they call KH games again? Kingdom Hearts 2.8 HD Final Mix 358/2 3D: Dream Drop Memories By Sleep VR Final Chapter Prologue Remix?

Ghost X

Each job class would be interesting to explore as a characteristic of the protagonist, if it were integral to the storyline. Would likely result in very different stories than what FF has covered so far.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I was just thinking about the half-way plot death like in

[ spoiler ] every other FF game [ /Spoiler ]

and how cool it would be if the sword-hero actually bit it, and not just temporarily while they sorted out their heroic BSOD in the underworld or whatever, but actually got Aeris’d. The rest of the cast would have to go on without them.

When Tifa takes over in FF7, I legit thought she was going to be our protagonist from then on. I was blown away by the narrative choice, an. I‘m not sure FF has ever been that cynical.

Top Bottom