• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Winter is coming...

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
Whenever idiot fans stop hounding GRRM and sending him death threats because he hasn't finished the book yet.

Shit's intense man. The book is done when it's done. People think they're entitled to a book a year and they're not.

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
May want to spoiler tag that phrase, Carlie.

Does it even qualify as a spoiler? Every single book fan already assumed this and George didn't even bother revealing this in TWOW, just said it on a random Con.

On that note, can you lot stop posting GoT spoilers / episode references on FB? I usually don't watch it until a day later and spoilers are bad, mkay? They were much less during previous seasons, and to date there's little to no Star Wars spoilers out there, too.

I deleted my Facebook last month to avoid GoT spoilers. I've also avoided reading excerpts. I'm waiting for TWoW to be in my hands!!

Yeah facebook and also tumblr are the worst places to be to avoid spoilers for GoT. I got spoiled for episode 5 by tumblr and I think Lith's facebook, is a non issue for me since I don't care about spoilers or the show for that matter. Yop the best thing to do is avoid any form of social media until you watch the new episode.

Ahem. So please keep show stuff in the show thread! (We're all doing great so far <3)

Totally agree, I've been paying attention to any news I find about the books to post here. Also because most things from TWOW will make no sense to show only fans since the show has deviated so much.

Do we have a freaking release date yet?

No, best case scenario would be early next year.

I actively seek spoilers out. I'll read the episode summary on the wikia before I watch it. I enjoy it more that way.

That's smart, I did that last season (before that I would watch the episodes live), it prepared me for the disappointment.

Has anyone read The World of Ice and Fire? There's some awesome stuff there.

edit:

Whenever idiot fans stop hounding GRRM and sending him death threats because he hasn't finished the book yet.

Shit's intense man. The book is done when it's done. People think they're entitled to a book a year and they're not.

I don't even understand the logic behind it, oh my favorite author is taking too long writing his book, I'm sure if I send him death threats he'll finish it quicker?

Last edited:

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
I lovelovelove The World of Ice and Fire.

'Specially the bits where it actually goes into detail and about just how Tywin completely annihilated the Reynes and the Tarbecks. :ego:

And everything with the Targaryen kings is freakin awesome too.

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
I love the World of Ice and Fire too, it's an epic book. I still haven't read all of it (My cousin has a copy that I've borrowed before) but it's so good. The history of Westeros and Essos is just so amazing. The level of detail and stuff, ashfghhjfhgsgadkgl <3 <3

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
Learning more about Visenya, Aegon and Rhaenys, and Egg's rule were particular favorites. As George explained it:

There is always this presumption that if you are a good man, you will be a good king. [Like] Tolkien &#8212; in Return of the King, Aragorn comes back and becomes king, and then &#8220;he ruled wisely for three hundred years.&#8221; Okay, fine. It is easy to write that sentence, &#8220;He ruled wisely&#8221;.

What does that mean, &#8220;He ruled wisely?&#8221; What were his tax policies? What did he do when two lords were making war on each other? Or barbarians were coming in from the North? What was his immigration policy? What about equal rights for Orcs? I mean did he just pursue a genocidal policy, &#8220;Let&#8217;s kill all these fucking Orcs who are still left over&#8221;? Or did he try to redeem them? You never actually see the nitty-gritty of ruling.

I guess there is an element of fantasy readers that don&#8217;t want to see that. I find that fascinating.

As for the Targaryen siblings is very fascinating how George deconstructs the fantasy behind them.

I've been re-watching the first season through the lens of the ethics unit I'm currently teaching in my philosophy class. Ned Stark's a true Kantian ("We can't kill Daenerys because that would be wrong." "Joffrey can't inherit the throne because he's not Robert's son and that would be wrong.") His honour depends on his doing his duty, and his duty is to do the right thing. Everybody else on the council, to the extent that they have a morality beyond serving their own self-interest, is a utilitarian (except Cersei; she's a care ethicist). Killing Daenerys will prevent war. Letting the succession pass to Joffrey will prevent war. Ned's inability to take this pragmatic stance, and his assumption that everyone else must and will do what is "right" (how could he have reached whatever age he is and still be so naive?) is what leads to the destruction of his family and one disaster after another for Westeros.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Using GoT in class because science? I like it :monster:

How would Hodor fit in that er, categorisation though?

Using GoT in class because science? I like it :monster:

How would Hodor fit in that er, categorisation though?

Pop culture is great for philosophy and classic civ, also increased interest in the Wars of the Roses (then disappointment when it's revealed the Plantagenets had no dragons).

Hodor doesn't have an ethical system, or if he does it's the same ethical system as the dire wolves: absolute loyalty and obedience to the master. Hodor doesn't have a will of his own, he doesn't make any choices, and so as a moral entity he doesn't really exist, even though he is utterly good and a pure soul.
That existence as an independent moral entity, which defines humanity, is what Bran (accidentally) took from him and it's why it is so horrifying.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I've taken the liberty of spoiler tagging that bit that was in the TV show but not the books (yet) for you. Be very careful with discussing TV show related events in this thread, :monster:

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
I've been doing my second very slow reading of the series, I've been on ADWD for the past year cause procrastination. Dany's chapters have annoyed the living hell out of me every single time with her obnoxious romantic plot tumor with Daario. Is like I'm reading Mockingjay again and Katniss is going on and on about Peeta and Gale while there's a revolution happening, I don't fucking give a shit. I get that we're supposed to see what happens when a not so completely mature teenager wants to be a conqueror and end slavery without a long term plan but did we really need the crap with Daario?

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Neat little subtle thing here (from the ASoIaF forums):

When Robb arrives at the twins before the red wedding and asks if he can cross the river, walder says 'you wanted crossing and I gave it to you and you never said mayhaps.' Then when catelyn asks for food, Walder says '.... A loaf of bread, a bite of cheese, mayhaps a sausage.' This is a call back to the game that little Walder and Big Walder play at Winterfell, where someone is the lord of the crossing and you can promise them anything but if you say mayhaps the promises don't matter. Walder says Robb never said mayhaps so his promise couldn't be broken He then says mayhaps when promising things to Robb which lets him break the promise and start the red wedding.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Holy crap. That's some hella foreshadowing -- "Clash of Kings" is indeed a masterpiece!

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
So I'm reading this new old theory that Melisandre is
the daughter of Bloodraven and possibly Shiera Seastar

It's an epic read and totally worth it. I just reached bit where it's noted that
Bloodraven's mother is even named Melissa which is trivial in comparison to the other facts, but as I keep reading I'm thinking "WOW...more and more mind fuckery". :wacky:

If anyone's interested to read, the thrad is hur:
Melisandre ASOIAF theory

Last edited:

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Weird that *this* thread is now the one we use spoiler tags in now...

Like I have totally read all the books and the Hedge Knights and seen some seasons of the show but for the last two months I have been HELLA CONCERNED about spoilers, now I feel the show-only people's pain.

Could we qualify spoiler tags with *show spoilers* (being now ahead of the books) vs. *book spoilers* (which in this thread hasn't been an issue for me since 2010)

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
Could we qualify spoiler tags with *show spoilers* (being now ahead of the books) vs. *book spoilers* (which in this thread hasn't been an issue for me since 2010)

I done did it. :monster:

Although technically I think what I linked there is just a far fetched tin foil hat theory sort of thing. It involves at least one character who does not exist in the show so it's unlikely to be a show spoiler. :3

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
Some images from the illustrated edition of A Game of Thrones:

game-of-thrones-illustrated-ss07.jpg

3103114-3.jpg

game-of-thrones-illustrated-ss08.jpg

More in the Vanity Fair Article below:
http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2016/09/game-of-thrones-illustrated-edition-images#6

Top Bottom