World of Warcraft: Shadowlands

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
I've been having fun with it. In Westfall.

OH OLD BLANCHY WHY?! D:

But good Horatio Caine humor. :monster:

Russell

.. ? ..
AKA
King of the Potato People
So WoW is free to play upto level 20...

Today, the Irvine, CA-based developer announced that it would be changing its free trial system to let players play as often as they want, for as long as they want, on as many characters as they want. The normal trial restrictions are still in place, of course: You can't go above level 20, and your ability to send in-game messages and use the in-game auction house is restricted (just in case, y'know, you're a gold farmer).

Still, being able to play up to level 20 on as many characters you want is a pretty good deal, especially since the newbie zones are arguably some of the game's best content following the Cataclysm expansion pack. Hell, you could stop at level 19, twink yourself out, and engage in low-level PvP for free as long as you wanted.
I tried Wow once, for about 10 minutes but lost all interest in it pretty quickly....

Kill X amount of monster Y for lazy stationary cob-shite Z, sell piss-poor loot for fuck all, REPEAT
Kill X amount of monster Y for lazy stationary cob-shite Z, sell piss-poor loot for fuck all, REPEAT

I assumed it would get better later on but I just couldn't stick with it, (knowing I would to pay for it to get better later on.)

Now it's free to play upto level 20, I thinking of trying it again. But is there any other way of levelling up early without the piss-taking Kill x amount of Y quests? How long until I get a nice 'here is a dungeon kill everything in it & collect treasure' quest? :huh:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Now it's free to play upto level 20, I thinking of trying it again. But is there any other way of levelling up early without the piss-taking Kill x amount of Y quests? How long until I get a nice 'here is a dungeon kill everything in it & collect treasure' quest? :huh:

1. Yes, there is, just do the unofficial "kill ∞ of Y" quest, or grind instances like a crazy fucker (that's what everyone else does, last time I checked, with the dungeon finder and all).

2. Never, they don't exist, it's all X of Y, :monster:. Killing all is optional if you run instances, most people just do it for the XP and money and occasional shitty items.

Related: the Burning Crusade expansion is now free etc.

Related²: I started playing again on a private server, but couldn't be arsed :monster:.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Related³, I reactivated my account (got free days, lulz) and started playing TBC properly, :monster:. I had played it before, but that was on a private server and I raced / grinded through it.

It's still kinda boring though, and the whole MMO thing is completely lost - I've only seen about half a dozen people in the wild (outland), but like 50 in instances. I can only guess, but I'm pretty sure the vast majority of people just grinds instances with the dungeon finder in order to level up to 85 as fast as possible.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
It seems I'm getting old, too. I just haven't got a clue what's happening and/or what I'm doing, and find myself mainly looking at cooldown thingies running to 0 so I can spam them some more, :monster:. And if / when I die in instances, I wonder what I did wrong (partly because I haven't got a clue wtf is going on).

This might also be caused by half a dozen orcs bashing my character's brains in simultaneously, btw.

Xelazander

sunglasses at night
AKA
alexx
It's boring until max level imho.
I still play at top level and find blizzard are running out of ideas.

Levelling is a lot faster than it used to be and since the Cataclysm it's more interesting with better quests and lore.

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
I reckon the Cataclysm was a good idea, changing a lot and almost redefining the game. On the flipside, yeah Blizzard are running out of ideas. I don't see where they'd go from here.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Changing the world was fun but I actually find Cataclysm to be kind of boring. I enjoyed the lore of WotLK so much better. I haven't even logged on to WoW in probably almost three months. :/

I probably should just to see what's up with my guild, but I don't know. :/

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Be a frosty mage. :awesome:

As for race, a lot of people have their opinions, but I say just go with whichever you like best. My mage is a human.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I quite like a protection paladin at the moment. Solo 2-man quests and group-rape half a dozen mobs solo == win, ;p.

Did part of Ahn'Qiraji temple or whatever it's called today. On the one hand, it was kinda dull as we just grinded through it with ten people (where once it was a 40-man raid). On the other, I haven't got a clue how difficult it must've been back in the day.

The main problem I have with WoW is that I'm way behind on everything. No need to grind for months on end, try and try again to beat the then-strongest boss (or some below them), that kinda thing. On the other hand, I'm glad I don't have that to waste my time with, xD.

I am considering to play a MMO from day 1 though. Maybe that Star Wars one, or else the new one from Blizzard - but that one'll probably take three more years to even come to an official announcement, and then another two to actually release. I hope to be married or at least have something else to do by then, :monster:.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
A lot of people in my guild were married with families.

And they all played WoW together. :monster:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Please shoot me if that ever happens. I don't particularly like WoW, let alone playing it all day.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
They did it for a significant part of their spare time, that's enough :monster:.

@thread, I quit again. I played it for a week, got my paladin up to level 65, did a bunch of instance runs, did half an Ahn'Qiraj run with the guild, got a flying mount, etcetera and so forth, but I just can't say I'm having fun with it.

Moving on, :monster:.

Xelazander

sunglasses at night
AKA
alexx
That's because it's not fun until you're the same level as everyone else and can participate in all of the content... so 85.

PvP twinking is good fun.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I know, :monster:. It's like Shadow of the Colossus, where you haven't got a clue what's going on until you're done with the game, except there the path to the endgame is actually fun to do and doesn't cost you months of your time, :monster:.

I'll stop ranting now.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
New expansion announced, WoW meets kung-fu panda. The once proud, long, hard erect boner of the WoW fans of the first hour has deflated massively in one fell swoop. The new expansion has no story outside a short one to introduce a new race (kung-fu pandas), a new continent that's basically the same quality as the game they built ten years ago (boring and graphically highly unimpressive), and they're reworking the whole game's mechanics (again) to make it even dumber or whatever their reasoning is.

I can understand they're reworking the mechanics so there's not something like an 'ultimate build' anymore though. On the other hand... I don't see it working unless they dumb it down enough to be balanceable.

Oh also, they're adding Pokemon to the game.

Seems to me they're definitely bailing out of the western world and aiming their arrows at the east - China in particular, they luffs pandas.

It might also be part of a bigger plan - dumb down WoW and make it a casual, low-end mass-market game, and hit it big (again) with their MMO currently under development - and still unannounced, despite it's been known to be in development since three or four years ago or something.

Oh well. Care -1. Should've played it (and wasted more of my life) when it was still new and fun.

Xelazander

sunglasses at night
AKA
alexx
I've played pretty much since release, it's just getting shitter and shitter.

Atleast they're bringing out new stuff, long standing WoW account holders get free Diablo 3 and the new MMO 'Titan' can't be too far off.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Kung-fu pandas aka the Panderin? They aren't new to WoW, but they've never been playable before.

But hmmm...Cat has only been out for a year. When's this new one coming out?

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Atleast they're bringing out new stuff, long standing WoW account holders get free Diablo 3 and the new MMO 'Titan' can't be too far off.

Titan's gonna take at least three more years - they haven't even officially announced it yet (maybe next year), and traditionally it takes years more for a game to finally be released.

Top Bottom