Should they re-make FFVII?

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Y'know, I'm beginning to wonder if you're being deliberately dense.

I'm not saying that a remake should have the same graphics as the original. Hell, if they do a remake, updating the graphics by some degree would and should be the first thing they'd do. What I'm saying is, arguing that making a remake would be a good idea because they can do it with better graphics (which seems to be the main thing you keep coming back to) is pointless.

Where have I ever said that the only reason they should remake it is so it can be shown with better graphics? Read my posts, chief.

As for the importance of graphics - in the US and Japanese markets (there aren't many clear records for the EU markets), the DS regularly outsells all other consoles, home or handheld.

That's because the DS has more game titles and development. And no, the DS doesn't outsell *all* other consoles, period. It dominates the handheld market most of the time, however.

Just to be clear: I'd be overjoyed if there was a remake. However, I don't want them to do a remake as a half-assed graphical clean up just to get some more money. If they were to have a definite direction, areas where the storyline had been altered to acknowledge the Compilation, extra character moments, etc., then I'm all for it.

Well, then glad we agree.

Raquelborn

"I slice your ass in 4."
AKA
Raq, Raquel.
I wonder what lacked ACC to be a good story, because I still can't see what's wrong with it :monster:

To be honest, as a first-time watch to someone who has had no contact with Final Fantasy or even just FFVII, it's an incredibly confusing storyline. Even after watching reminiscence I didn't get what the hec was going on other than 'Cloud kills Sephiroth and everyone stops being mouldy'.

Most of AC/C's negative reviews have also pushed the point that it's storyline is confusing and hard to grasp at first watch.

It's not a question of "if," but of "when" and "will it receive the full scope of current possibilities, or will it be done like the FFIII and FFIV remakes?"

Personally, I'd consider this to be a huge dissapointment.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
I wonder what lacked ACC to be a good story, because I still can't see what's wrong with it

A lot. I could write a thesis on the thematic flaws of ACC and it's storytelling. It's a fun movie, but I wouldn't say it's a good movie qualitywise.

Last edited:

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
To be honest, as a first-time watch to someone who has had no contact with Final Fantasy or even just FFVII, it's an incredibly confusing storyline. Even after watching reminiscence I didn't get what the hec was going on other than 'Cloud kills Sephiroth and everyone stops being mouldy'.

Most of AC/C's negative reviews have also pushed the point that it's storyline is confusing and hard to grasp at first watch.

I see. It's different for me since I was already a fan when they released the movie, so I could catch what was going on almost from the beginning. Maybe Reminiscence should have been longer, then.

A lot. I could write a thesis on the thematic flaws of ACC and it's storytelling. It's a fun movie, but I wouldn't say it's a good movie qualitywise.

Maybe because they tried to write it as a videogame instead of as a movie :monster:

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer

This. While I personally don't think of it as a bad movie either, it does have its fair share of flaws. All in all though, it's one of my favourite entries in the Compilation (excluding the original game).

...That third one is the best reason NOT to remake it, IMHO. :monster:

I think the main problem with making the Compilation make sense is Cloud's mental state until about halfway through FFVII. In a twisted way... things have to not make sense until Cloud rediscovers who he really is.

Burton could manage Cloudia IMO. It might come across as impossibly awkward, but that's how I imagined Cloud reacting to the situation when I played through, so it'd work :wacky:

For your second point though, I still think they can remake the game and have it still 'not make sense' until the lifestream event. In fact, that's one thing that interests me most to see redone. I am worried that they'll go too heavy on the sadness element for Cloud throughout the beginning, but I think it can be done. Cloud in CC for example was very different from ACC Cloud, yet you still knew it was the same character. They might change how Cloud is screwed up in the beginning of the game, but I see it working.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
In fact, that's one thing that interests me most to see redone. I am worried that they'll go too heavy on the sadness element for Cloud throughout the beginning, but I think it can be done. Cloud in CC for example was very different from ACC Cloud, yet you still knew it was the same character. They might change how Cloud is screwed up in the beginning of the game, but I see it working.

Why would Cloud be sad during the beginning of FFVII? He wasn't even himself, and he was a cocky, yet cool asshole mercenary.

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
I know, but since the original game, Cloud has been personified as somewhat of a sad person. I'm just saying there's a chance that S-E might try to inject that element into his early-FFVII self.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I know, but since the original game, Cloud has been personified as somewhat of a sad person. I'm just saying there's a chance that S-E might try to inject that element into his early-FFVII self.

Sad in what? AC and ACC?

He wasn't sad in CC. Or DC.

I wouldn't really put much stock in what KH depicts seeing as how its totally an AU in and of itself.

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon

Cloud didn't become sad until the end of Disc 1. If they remake it, many people will then claim that they have changed Cloud from a sad person to a tough guy, to then convert him again into a sad person :wacky:

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
Sad in what? AC and ACC?

He wasn't sad in CC. Or DC.

I wouldn't really put much stock in what KH depicts seeing as how its totally an AU in and of itself.

I meant AC/ACC, and a little bit of KH and Dissidia too, though you're right that KH doesn't matter to a remake. It's not a particularly rational worry, but it's still there :monster:

CC gives me hope that they can do it right though. Cloud was fuckin' perfect in that one, imo. The lovable little dork who became a hero :excited:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I meant AC/ACC, and a little bit of KH and Dissidia too, though you're right that KH doesn't matter to a remake. It's not a particularly rational worry, but it's still there :monster:

CC gives me hope that they can do it right though. Cloud was fuckin' perfect in that one, imo. The lovable little dork who became a hero :excited:

They wouldn't make him depressed or "mopey" unless he actually was in the story. As CC and DC demonstrate.

Cloud wasn't sad in Dissidia. Not like ACC. The guy's inner turmoil was mostly kept inside, while he put up a facade of being the responsible one. But he rightfully questioned what exactly was going on, and what the fighting would accomplish. I wouldn't equate that to how he was literally depressed and having to be pushed into fighting, like in AC.

Raquelborn

"I slice your ass in 4."
AKA
Raq, Raquel.
I'd personally find the cocky/Zack Cloud really hard to adjust to after AC/C. But it was weird to adjust to when going from AC to the original game anyway. A consistent look and voice actors would probably help actually.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I'd just hope that the directors would be sure to communicate the shift throughout the game to Burton. He got it in DC, I'm just a little concerned they wouldn't make it clear enough that he starts out a tough guy, than is sad and unsure of himself (and those two overlap, especially during Sephy's vision in the Whirlwind maze) and then is confident and friendly (though dorky).

People can say what they want about generic heroes, but Cloud really wouldn't be a very easy guy to play. During his FF7 time at least.

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
They wouldn't make him depressed or "mopey" unless he actually was in the story. As CC and DC demonstrate.

Cloud wasn't sad in Dissidia. Not like ACC. The guy's inner turmoil was mostly kept inside, while he put up a facade of being the responsible one. But he rightfully questioned what exactly was going on, and what the fighting would accomplish. I wouldn't equate that to how he was literally depressed and having to be pushed into fighting, like in AC.

For not being sad in Dissidia, people sure reference it a lot. Tidus says, "Enough moping. Let's go!", Exdeath tells him that, "Brooding gains you nothing!". Hell, even Cloud himself laments his inability to protect others, and a tree's inability to know true despair. He is much tougher in Dissidia compared to Advent Children, but he still has his 'down moments'. That personality works for Dissidia, but I'm not convince it would for the original game.

Before I say anything else though, I want to clear something up. From what I remember, Cloud has very few sad moments in the original game. When he's ZaCloud he's confident and self-centered, and after the lifestream event he's flawed but still generally a cheery guy. Am I missing a stage of his character development?

@ForceStealer: I agree! I think it would be tough, but I have faith in Burton if a remake is made.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Before I say anything else though, I want to clear something up. From what I remember, Cloud has very few sad moments in the original game. When he's ZaCloud he's confident and self-centered, and after the lifestream event he's flawed but still generally a cheery guy. Am I missing a stage of his character development?

....When the hell was Cloud ever "cheery?"

Zidane..is cheery. Tidus...is cheery. Bartz, is cheery. You seriously, are putting him on that level? Cloud was a leader, and was determined and believed in the gang, but how that translates to cheeriness is beyond my guess.

Cloud was a leader in Dissidia as he was in FFVII. He had his moments of dry humor and wit, but how that translates to cheeriness is beyond me. The fact he doesn't express his hesitation or feelings of failure, to none save for Terra, is a bit telling in how he's trying to keep his reservations to himself.

And for every introspective and "mopey" quote, there's a snarky and cool one too, so what does that say? The guy's rightfully got a lot on his mind but he isn't letting it get him down.

Last edited:

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer
Where have I ever said that the only reason they should remake it is so it can be shown with better graphics? Read my posts, chief.
Well, it's just you were pushing on me (eek, that sounds weird... keep calm and carry on) about graphics, so it seemed to be your main thrust (oh Lordy...).
Well, then glad we agree.
Or at least agree to disagree. :monster:
'Cloud kills Sephiroth and everyone stops being mouldy'.
That pretty much sums it up even when you do know what the heck's going on.
Burton could manage Cloudia IMO. It might come across as impossibly awkward, but that's how I imagined Cloud reacting to the situation when I played through, so it'd work :wacky:

For your second point though, I still think they can remake the game and have it still 'not make sense' until the lifestream event. In fact, that's one thing that interests me most to see redone.
I know, but... Burton. :nah: :P In all seriousness, though, the Wall Market chapter, with voice-acting... it'll either have me crying with laughter or wishing they'd left it more to visual humour.

When I replay VII, what always has me interested early game is the flaws/gaps in Cloud's compounded (his, err, "Clack") memory. As long as they get that sense of confusion (especially in Tifa) right, they'll have won half the battle.

Oh, and have Aerith recognise the Buster Sword, and have a "wtf?" look on her face.
And so say we all.

Vossler

Voss da boss bitch
AKA
Nightmare,race driver,steel tormenter
Well in my view I think they should remake it. I think it would be cool to see all the characters for what they look like today. Add more to the story line and with a fan base in the billions, I think it would be appropriate to tell more of Zack and the other characters that weren't mentioned much but played somewhat of a major role in the game.

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
....When the hell was Cloud ever "cheery?"

Zidane..is cheery. Tidus...is cheery. Bartz, is cheery. You seriously, are putting him on that level? Cloud was a leader, and was determined and believed in the gang, but how that translates to cheeriness is beyond my guess.

I said 'generally cheery' to indicate that he was kinda quirky and happy, hopefully carrying the implication that he wasn't excessively so. Of course he's no where near Zidane or Tidus, but he does have his moments on the Highwind, such as joking with Yuffie about motion sickness and telling Tifa he'll make enough noise for everyone, while doing squats.

Cloud was a leader in Dissidia as he was in FFVII. He had his moments of dry humor and wit, but how that translates to cheeriness is beyond me. The fact he doesn't express his hesitation or feelings of failure, to none save for Terra, is a bit telling in how he's trying to keep his reservations to himself.

His leader traits, were similar to those of his FFVII self, but I don't remember him ever feeling bad for himself in the original

And for every introspective and "mopey" quote, there's a snarky and cool one too, so what does that say? The guy's rightfully got a lot on his mind but he isn't letting it get him down.

You raise a good point. But really this is an argument for another place. If you have another point to raise, let's do it somewhere else.

Nolok

Blarg
Yes, yes they should.

I have several friends that couldn't play it because of the graphics of the original.

I know the logistics of making this would make it take 10+ years to make, but it would be cool if they remade the entire FF7 compilation into a single coherent game.

Dee

sweet dee
AKA
Bun, Academic
Might as well.

I'm kind of at this point as well. At first, I was adamant about not wanting a remake, to keep it as it is, but quite obviously so many people want one that it almost seems inevitable.

Aki

he are sick
The only problem I would have with a remake is it would be too angsty and moody. I know the story line is of the original, but theres all the cute jap anime style humuor that keeps cropping up to put a light mood on things again.

These parts that would just look idiotic in a realistic looking game, and then theirs the happy and laughing scenes...would the end up as irritating to watch as FFX's yuna nd tidus scenes?

The only thing along of people really want I think is to be able to explore the FULL FFVII world in FULL 3D. I'd be more up for a next gen game thats as epic as the first but gives us something fresh. But I doubt a sequel could deliver anything good and the prequels being done. Which leads us in a circle back to a remake

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I know the logistics of making this would make it take 10+ years to make, but it would be cool if they remade the entire FF7 compilation into a single coherent game.

I think that would fail because it wouldn't be a single, coherent game. Each individual title has its own themes and narrative arcs -- something that would be lost in a Katamari version of the Compilation.

Top Bottom