Should they re-make FFVII?

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
I agree with the sentiment to keep the wacky scenes wacky and to avoid making the entire game overly dramatic. Based on the other remakes S-E has made, and even CC, I think they can handle it. My biggest fear in this regard is the swearing and other vulgarities. If I ever hear Cid say "Be quiet, take a seat, and enjoy your hot tea!" I'm all but positive the world will lose some joy.

One thing I do want them to change though is the appearance of the cast. I think they should use the AC looks for the characters, not in what they wear, but how they changed from the original game. The most obvious example is Cloud's hair. While the 'blonde spike of ultimate doom' was cool in the original, I think he needs his AC hair combined with his original clothes. I know a few of the other characters had minor changes between the original and AC, and I think those should be kept to help the remake fit in better with the rest of the Compilation.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
The most obvious example is Cloud's hair. While the 'blonde spike of ultimate doom' was cool in the original, I think he needs his AC hair combined with his original clothes.

I think they did that on purpose in AC to reflect Cloud's getting older. If you notice in Dissidia, AC Cloud looks a little bit bigger than FF7 Cloud. It wouldn't make sense for Cloud to sport a hairstyle he won't have in two years.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I think they did that on purpose in AC to reflect Cloud's getting older. If you notice in Dissidia, AC Cloud looks a little bit bigger than FF7 Cloud. It wouldn't make sense for Cloud to sport a hairstyle he won't have in two years.

Wow, I'm glad I'm not the only who noticed.

I think that the changes and looks of each of the characters in AC aren't necessarily the same as they were in FFVII. If you want a more updated look of the characters for FFVII, you only need to look towards the 10th Anniversary CGI renders of the characters in their FFVII attire.

cloud-portrait.jpg

cloud-advent-children-complete.png

The numerous and sharper spikes are intentional for FFVII Cloud.

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
Sorry guys, I don't see the difference. But your point is taken and if Cloud looks like he did in the technical demo (or the 10th Anniversary render that Mako posted) I'll be more than happy. That's the look I was trying to describe. Thanks!

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
cloud.jpg

syasin4.jpg

Wasn't it even mentioned in a magazine article once that they specifically changed his hair? I think it was for CC. Even though most people wouldn't noticed they made the large spike on top of Cloud's head face forward rather than backward because that's the way it was in FFVII, and they figured the AC hairstyle where it faces more toward the back was just an older-Cloud thing and would be for AC and after only. lol

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I...guess the AC hair is more feathery, but that's a pretty subtle difference. I remember his spikes looking long in his debut in DC.

EDIT: That's a much better comparison, Tennyo :monster: It is clearer there.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
I have a better version of that pic where Cloud's head isn't so far in the corner, but it's on my external drive. :P

EDIT:

33658q7bkp87tkh.jpg

Cloud20Strife.jpg

lovers.jpg

finalfantasyviiadventchildrenpic_2.jpg

Last edited:

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
Hmm, I think I see the difference now, subtle as it is. Knowing that his hair was changed to better fit his 'older self' is the kind of detail that I enjoy hearing, which just makes me think that if they remade VII the number of similar details would be many and appreciated.

@Pomona: The pictures you provided worked for me, hopefully they will for others too. So no worries about the other one.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Ah, that's good. If anyone wants, here are some pics that show CC Cloud:

300px-Crisis_core_Final_Fantasy_VII.jpg

Crisis_Core__Final_Fantasy_7_by_bla.jpg

As you can see, it is more like the FFVII style. :)

Bex

fresh to death
AKA
Bex
to be honest, cloud looks exactly the same, and i think this is just an excuse for everyone to wank off again.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Nah, there is a subtle difference in his hair. But it's very subtle.

And we actually need an excuse to wank off?

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
to be honest, cloud looks exactly the same, and i think this is just an excuse for everyone to wank off again.

I wouldn't say that. I think his hair has much less colour in advent children (much like his costume)

Tbh I this overall palette swap represents the shift from being a complex character to the black and white, 2 dimensional, stock RPG hero that we see in Advent Children.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
You need to watch ACC before you say his hair has less color (or heck, less of anything). There's nothing dull about it and its changes are obvious if you look. And I don't see how a man fighting for his family, and working through the failures of his past and relationship is anything close to a stock RPG hero. The guy's no Loto at all.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
I know the hair style has changed, I'm just saying it looks like its gotten much paler too.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
It looked pale and shit in the original AC due to how grey and stuff it all appeared in the movie, but in ACC, the color scale has been increased significantly, and it actually looks vibrant and blond. The coloring has definitely been upped in the director's cut, in terms of most of the scenes.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
I don't really see how the hair color in ACC matters that much since it's not THAT much of a difference. It's just what suited the palette of the movie more. :)

But yeah things do look better in ACC. :)

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
And I don't see how a man fighting for his family, and working through the failures of his past and relationship is anything close to a stock RPG hero.

Depends on who you're comparing him to.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Since when did that become stock RPG hero?

Maybe I'm just old fashioned.

No, I'm not saying Cloud at his core is a stock RPG hero. He has a lot of potential to have very interesting exposition, and games like Crisis Core and Dissidia have done a pretty decent job at portraying him as the 'strong as shit introverted yet responsible country boy loser guy' that he is in a way that actually CHARACTERIZES Cloud. But do you know how many ways that you can do that wrong?

A company can take a character that has a lot of potential and screw him up. A company can also just go ahead and create a pretty boring character and also screw him up. If FF7 were to be remade, characterization is important. We the fans know the nuances and all that behind Cloud's personality, but it's also important to give a good first impression on potential first players as well.

If someone goes "I think Cloud is boring" and we have to go "WELL IF YOU READ PAGE 235 OF THE ULTIMANIA AND THE EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW BY TETSUYA NOMURA AND WATCH ACC A MILLION TIMES YOU'D KNOW THAT'S FALSE", than SE did a bad job. The goal of any writer should be to paint a clear and unique picture of their characters to everyone. Because I'll be the first to admit it, the 'moody, introverted badass' RPG hero isn't exactly in short supply, and a Cloud done wrong fits right into that stock character.

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
No, I'm not saying Cloud at his core is a stock RPG hero. He has a lot of potential to have very interesting exposition, and games like Crisis Core and Dissidia have done a pretty decent job at portraying him as the 'strong as shit introverted yet responsible country boy loser guy' that he is in a way that actually CHARACTERIZES Cloud. But do you know how many ways that you can do that wrong?

Well that's very true. I'd say his KH/KH2 iterations are the cardboard caricatures that are examples of the "wrong" way to characterize him. At least compared to the depth and complexity he has in his original games. But I don't really care since that's KH.

A company can take a character that has a lot of potential and screw him up. A company can also just go ahead and create a pretty boring character and also screw him up. If FF7 were to be remade, characterization is important. We the fans know the nuances and all that behind Cloud's personality, but it's also important to give a good first impression on potential first players as well.

Yup, very true.

If someone goes "I think Cloud is boring" and we have to go "WELL IF YOU READ PAGE 235 OF THE ULTIMANIA AND THE EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW BY TETSUYA NOMURA AND WATCH ACC A MILLION TIMES YOU'D KNOW THAT'S FALSE", than SE did a bad job. The goal of any writer should be to paint a clear and unique picture of their characters to everyone. Because I'll be the first to admit it, the 'moody, introverted badass' RPG hero isn't exactly in short supply, and a Cloud done wrong fits right into that stock character.

Well yeah, you're right. I definitely don't disagree with that.

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer
Anyways, people saying that remaking the game would take away the originals charm make no sense. Nothing can take away the original's charm because the original will always exist. It's not like they can erase the game from history or your collection. You want to play the shitty translated version with the lego people, go play it. Let the rest of us who want the story and game polished and updated for what the best this generation can offer play our version. The blocky, ATB shit can only be entertaining for so long.
You misunderstood me. The original will not lose its charm, I agree. However, the remake would not have the original's charm.

Wow, never knew you were such a graphics whore, Mako. :monster: And arguing to have it remade just because the graphics are better... well, the Pokemon games have been going since the release of FFVII, with only minor graphical innovations, none of which push the system (case in point: Diamond/Pearl vs the FMV at the beginning of FFIII DS).

If they do a remake, they need to include references:

1) When Aerith first meets Cloud, she recognises the Buster Sword, then shrugs it off as just being similar.

2) You find (but are unable to enter) the ruins of Banora. Maybe have a dialogue with someone asking what happened, and Cloud saying "who knows?". If you find it after recruiting Vincent, he makes a comment it looks like the work of the Turks.

3) You stumble on Meoheim (sp?) while travelling towards Icicle Inn. Random monster encounters, a few items lying around, but no sign of anyone (or maybe have them find a dead Genesis or Angeal copy lying around).

Also, I'd want to know about the missing year (at the end of CC, Aerith says in her letter it's been four years since Zack was reported MIA/DIA. In FFVII, its repeated several times that the Nibelheim Incident was five years ago).
I know the hair style has changed, I'm just saying it looks like its gotten much paler too.
Bleached by more exposure to sunlight? *shrugs*

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
No, they were merely the first that came to my mind.

Damn thread's got me wishing again. What's the latest, official word on the remake?

"Not happening anytime soon. Go download the original off the PSN store":

http://tinyurl.com/yhckox2

Basically, it's still in that same phase it was years ago when the PS2 came out and people were asking them about it in interviews: it's something they like to think about, but haven't even gone into the earliest of pre-production stages with.

Anyways, people saying that remaking the game would take away the originals charm make no sense. Nothing can take away the original's charm because the original will always exist. It's not like they can erase the game from history or your collection. You want to play the shitty translated version with the lego people, go play it. Let the rest of us who want the story and game polished and updated for what the best this generation can offer play our version.

While I don't disagree with your premise, I take issue with the notion that an update will necessarily provide a polished story. I sincerely doubt it.

In any case, while the original can never be unmade, it's frustrating to see things that one appreciates dealt humiliating blows. That, I think, is what those who fear a "loss of the original's charm" are thinking.

Imagine your reaction if you heard that a live-action version of FFVII was being filmed -- and authentic Sephiroth hair and Cloud hair would be a must! It's pretty much the same concern, I imagine.

In my case it's partly that and partly a concern that the name of a great piece of work will be drug through even more broken bottle glass.

Still, as you've said, there's no reason both the original and a new version can't exist.

For that matter, I think a remake is a certainty. Just a matter of when.

This, times a 1000. That's the fun of RPGs, especially Final Fantasies. The enemies don't HAVE to make sense. They're just amusing, and sometimes, hilariously designed. I think that was lost post FFVII to an extent. It came back for FFIX though. And definitely FFXII. Fuck, the boss fight against the Fury was just pure gold.

Oh and FFXI as well. There are some hilarious notorious monsters in that one too.

I can't be the only one who appreciated and preferred FFVIII's more realistic assortment of monsters.

Besides, PuPu was there to balance things!

Hell Houses were by no means the stupidest enemy you fought in FFVII

No shit. That honor probably goes to the Dorky Face.

They were dropping some serious shit when they came up with some of these creatures.

Just wondering - can anyone see the Hell House making it into a remake of the game? Especially if encounters aren't random and don't take you into a different battle screen (meaning you can see enemies before you engage them on the map, like in Final Fantasy XII).

I can see it appearing as a side-quest boss.

Do you reckon that the "feel" of certain scenes might be lost? Like Don Corneo thrusting around, and the bath-tub scene in the Honeybee Inn? Would they feel any different rendered in far more detail?

Yes. XD Absolutely.

I'd love it if they could remake the game and iron out the contradictions. Particularly in the Nibelheim Incident.

In addition, I think with all this other stuff they've added to the Compilation that have been...well inconsistent I would like to see it resolved. I mean, they tried, but maybe not hard enough, to make all the other parts of the Compilation consistent.

They didn't even make the Compilation titles consistent with each other, much less the original. Remaking the original wouldn't fix that issue.

Anzu Mazaki said:
In fact, instead of a remake I think they should just compile the entire Compilation into one huge game, from CC all the way through to DC :awesome: It would definitely help me picture the timeline better. I would buy a PS3/Xbox just for that.

You mean do something like Super Mario All-Stars?

Also, I'd want to know about the missing year (at the end of CC, Aerith says in her letter it's been four years since Zack was reported MIA/DIA. In FFVII, its repeated several times that the Nibelheim Incident was five years ago).

That was the time in which Zack and Cloud traveled from Nibelheim to Midgar.

They went into the Shinra mansion in October of 0002, came out in December of 0006, and Zack died outside Midgar in September of 0007.

Last edited:

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
In any case, while the original can never be unmade, it's frustrating to see things that one appreciates dealt humiliating blows. That, I think, is what those who fear a "loss of the original's charm" are thinking.

Imagine your reaction if you heard that a live-action version of FFVII was being filmed -- and authentic Sephiroth hair and Cloud hair would be a must! It's pretty much the same concern, I imagine.

In my case it's partly that and partly a concern that the name of a great piece of work will be drug through even more broken bottle glass.

It's exactly the same feeling I (and the vast majority of the fans) had when I first heard that they were going to make a live action movie of The Lord of the Rings. I could only be sceptical, after watching the previous version of Ralph Bakshi, until I could go to the cinema.

I only hope that SE boys want to make it right.

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer
That was the time in which Zack and Cloud traveled from Nibelheim to Midgar.

They went into the Shinra mansion in October of 0002, came out in December of 0006, and Zack died outside Midgar in September of 0007.
Oh, I see. Thanks for clearing that up. ^_^ Yeesh, they took their time, didn't they? Oh, mind you: ruddy great ocean.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Mako Eyes said:
This, times a 1000. That's the fun of RPGs, especially Final Fantasies. The enemies don't HAVE to make sense. They're just amusing, and sometimes, hilariously designed. I think that was lost post FFVII to an extent. It came back for FFIX though. And definitely FFXII. Fuck, the boss fight against the Fury was just pure gold.

Oh and FFXI as well. There are some hilarious notorious monsters in that one too.

They can do whatever they want in a remake so long as they give me a triceratops tank! :rage:

Top Bottom