• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Suspension of Disbelief and Good Fiction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Except the rest of it, all of which was poor, is STILL IN THERE. That does not make the movie that much better. But regardless, I will be watching the ACC tonight, and from what I have read, they even extended fight scenes. That isn't a good thing.

Again, wait until you see it before baselessly hating on something you haven't seen. If you're not going to watch it objectively, and are just seeing it for the purpose of hating it, I don't really see the point in doing so at all, just so taht you can continue on your whimsical "bad fiction" rampage without blatantly being ignorant of what you're talking about.

The Lord of the Rings was FULL of fighting. If you watch the LotR Extended Edition, a LOT if not all of the fights are MUCH longer. If you then go watch the fight scenes in the theatrical release, you'll realize that those ones are choppy and terrible in comparison. Just because you seem to be against the flashy anime-like fighting style, doesn't mean that it's a bad thing for them to have extended the fight scenes.

Again, even if you didn't like AC, go into ACC without the need to subjectively pick apart everything as you see it added in. Watch it as if it were an entirely different film, and base your conclusion on the WHOLE thing, without making comparisons to it and how AC handled the story.

UPDATE:

Can't you make ONE post to reply to everyone without re-editing everything?

NO. NO. NO. That is a weak argument. All films have to stand by their material and work. You don't need to watch Terminator 1 to understand most of Terminator 2. FF7 AC is fanboy nonsense.

No. It doesn't compare. AC was made as a DVD-only released sequel to a 40+ hour game. The introduction summarizing the basic concepts was there to give the audience who didn't know the game some background. T2 recaps all the basics of T1 in the introduction, because there's barely anything to recap. If you made a DVD sequel to a 40+ hour TV series, and ONLY saw the DVD film, you'd probably be missing a lot of the character developments and motivations.

Another reason you should watch Plinkett reviews, he explains why telling people to read novels about the film is ridiculous.

Having them exist to understand all the minor intrate details of the film isn't ridiculous. Hell, StarCraft 2's story has lots of little intracasies that are enhanced by the content of the novels, but they're not NEEDED to understand the story. The story makes sense on it's own. The same is true of ACC. The fact is that they're details that don't NEED to be told, but they exist for the fans who are curious. AKA, if you are unfamiliar with the original 40+ hours of the material, it's doubtful you'd read novellas on it.

AND

Also- that youtube link was basically 8 mins of annoying bollocks just to hear, "Bending the physics of real life causing the audience to disconnect with a character and breaks tension." Again, this only applies if the characters are interacting in a normal environment to begin with. The reason that YOU disconnect more from it is that you're expecting a more real-life physics environment, rather than something like a CG anime "realism" that AC(C) (and FFVII) has, although I'm certain you'll attempt to debate that point until you're blue in the face. While I understand that SOME people have issues with a ton of things on screen, I've never had a problem keeping track of focus to retain tension in scenes like the ones mentioned in that review.

X :neo:

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tifabelle, Nathan Drake, Locke Cole, Kain Highwind, Yamcha, Arya Stark
NO. NO. NO. That is a weak argument. All films have to stand by their material and work. You don't need to watch Terminator 1 to understand most of Terminator 2. FF7 AC is fanboy nonsense.

This is not a big screen, Hollywood film. This is a straight to DVD movie created for a specific purpose for a specific audience. They aren't trying to cater to non-FF7 fans, and they don't try to pretend like they are. It is intended to be for the "fanboys". They did exactly what they set out to do.

Except the rest of it, all of which was poor, is STILL IN THERE. That does not make the movie that much better.

But you can't say that BEFORE SEEING THE FILM. The added scenes actually enhance the already existing scenes. And it's not just added scenes, some of the already existing ones were expanded or improved.

Anyway. See it before you have something else to say about it.

DLPB

Banned Flunky
AKA
Seifer Almasy, DanielReturns
Again, wait until you see it before baselessly hating on something you haven't seen.
I have seen the vast majority of it already. I don't quite understand how 30 extra minutes is going to make me change my mind that AC was turd?

The Lord of the Rings was FULL of fighting.
It was not there for the sake of it and it was not between 2 people or a few people for minutes at a time. LOTR was also much larger film. That is a poor analogy and you know it.

Watch it as if it were an entirely different film,
It's not.

They aren't trying to cater to non-FF7 fans, and they don't try to pretend like they are.
That isn't a good thing.

I've started watching but I will have to switch to Japanese audio. THis english dub is a joke.

Last edited:

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
DLPB said:
All films have to stand by their material and work. You don't need to watch Terminator 1 to understand most of Terminator 2. FF7 AC is fanboy nonsense.
Saying that you should be able to watch ACC by itself and understand what is going on and connect to the characters is like saying that you should be able to watch the 7th Harry Potter movie without watching the other six movies and be able to mostly understand who everybody is and what's going on and connect with them.

In general, squeals are made for the people who watched and liked the original not to stand by themselves.
I have seen the vast majority of it already. I don't quite understand how 30 extra minutes is going to make me change my mind that AC was turd?
Because it's not just 30 minutes of film tacked on between the end of the film and the ending credits. The new 30 minutes is sprinkled throughout the film

Last edited:

DLPB

Banned Flunky
AKA
I am watching it :) I will be back when I have seen it. There is already 1 plot hole.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
This is not a big screen, Hollywood film. This is a straight to DVD movie created for a specific purpose for a specific audience. They aren't trying to cater to non-FF7 fans, and they don't try to pretend like they are. It is intended to be for the "fanboys". They did exactly what they set out to do.
In all fairness to both sides of the argument, let me just say that the movie was made for a specific 'straight to DVD audience' does not excuse a film from ignoring basic tenets of character development or from presenting a coherent plot. In fact, I would go as far as to say that half of the problem with Advent Children is that because it was made with the fanbase in mind, it gave the creators license to be as lazy and uncreative as possible because they knew it would still make money.

I'm not saying that all productions across all media that are made with the intentions of pleasing a franchise's fanbase operate like that. But SE do, that's beyond a doubt.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
In all fairness to both sides of the argument, let me just say that the movie was made for a specific 'straight to DVD audience' does not excuse a film from ignoring basic tenets of character development or from presenting a coherent plot. In fact, I would go as far as to say that half of the problem with Advent Children is that because it was made with the fanbase in mind, it gave the creators license to be as lazy and uncreative as possible because they knew it would still make money.

I'm not saying that all productions across all media that are made with the intentions of pleasing a franchise's fanbase operate like that. But SE do, that's beyond a doubt.

That I will totally agree with. It's also why I stated that AC(C) was primarily made for the fans.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Also, DLPB, since i know it's coming - don't come back saying "I SAW IT, IT SUCKS, I TOLD YOU I WOULDN'T LIKE IT!" Because that's not why we told you to see it.

I in fact specifically told you that it will not change your opinion, but you still cannot criticise something that you have not seen. And at least two of your complaints about AC's story are remedied in ACC. So just keep that in mind when you're drafting your berating post after you watch it.

DLPB

Banned Flunky
AKA
A Final Fantasy product has a plot hole?
FF7 worked within itself , these prequels and sequels are useless. So far, I am appreciating a few things as I did before. The camera, the animation, the graphics, and the tempo. The tone is good also.

The narrative, dialogue and character development already is poor. But I will reserve proper criticism to the end. I know this film goes completely off the tracks half way through.

>>
And yes I will say that, forcestealer.

Mitch Connor

Its All Good Enough
AKA
Blazing782
Judging from what I have read from you, yes.

They didnt rebuild. We arent talking about a house that gets remade here. We are talking about a crap film that had a few edits and additions. If ACC was massively different to AC sure, but it isnt.

Why are you being purposefully dense (again)? You havent seen ACC, take it from people who have seen it. It makes significant improvements. So stop arguing that. now.

But dude, he READ about it!

lol

Last edited:

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA

Just before you read this: I had a whole post that got eatn by a database error. So now I don't remember what I said, but it was better than what i have here. Take this with a grain of salt cause I couldn't remember my train of thought, and feel bad for me:

I wouldn't necessarily disagree with you here. I liked AC/C, but I've always said I shouldn't have had to buy a movie twice to get a quality film.

That being said, the film bases a lot of things on the fact that it expects you to already know things. Like who Aerith is. Or who Zack is. And what materia is when you see it (bc my dad didn't know). And other things. The character development has already been done, they don't have to do it again. And they couldn't. They couldn't fit everything into a 2-hour film. And as a fan, I don't want things re-explained to me that I already know. It might make a better film, but a more boring one. idk. It's a sequel. Not a stand-alone film. There are certain things you have to expect to be glossed over.

As for plot development, I agree. There are certain plot elements that are questionable. Not only that, but they tried to shove things into a plot rather than just create a plot. Such as Sephiroth's appearance. SE "needed" him in there, so they forced it into the plot. And it does feel forced.

Regardless, I still like it.

Everything SE does is to make money. They're a business and it's a capitalist world. I don't have a problem with that. But wanting to make money doesn't mean you should take short cuts. This has been SE's problem recently. Just shove things in our face and hope we buy it just because we like Final Fantasy instead of creating a quality piece of work, and knowing it will make you money because of its greatness. The quality of your work will also make people buy your future work. It's why we bought FFXIII. Now what's going to happen with your future games?

DATABASE ERROR'D ME AGAIN, BUT THIS TIME I C/P'D. I WIN BITCH.

DLPB

Banned Flunky
AKA
I am 10 minutes in and I don't like it overall, for many reasons which I did not like it for before. It isn't going to get any better but I will watch it to the end.

Rest assured though that I will be putting a review on youtube of why it sucks.

DLPB

Banned Flunky
AKA
THIS HAS GOT TO BE THE WORST DIALOGUE EVER.

"hehe I think you do have mother there. No need to shooout... Ok I don't want to talk to you anymore.... Put the president on"

I mean, this is basic shit here... this is AWFUL. Mother, I remember, was KILLED. So was the president. That's not a good start. 2 retcons and awful dialogue trying to tell you that they still have Jenova there.

LOL

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Don't post until you're 2 hours in.

DLPB

Banned Flunky
AKA
2 hours? It is gonna be hard to stomach this crap that long but OK, also... already we have a meaningless fight sequence and chase. It just popped out of nowhere as well.

This is movie making "how not to" 101. Gonna be great to review.

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
YACCBS, Legato Bluesummers, Daenaerys Targaryen, Revy, Kate Beckett, Samantha Carter, Matsumoto Rangiku
Or don't post until you're finished. Crazy, I know.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X

Yeah, a 1hr 40 min film being extended to a little over 2 hours isn't a big change. It's only adding about 25% to the film's content. Why would that possibly make any difference at all? Haters gonna hate.

It was not there for the sake of it and it was not between 2 people or a few people for minutes at a time. LOTR was also much larger film. That is a poor analogy and you know it.

Neither were ACC's fights. I'm sure Tifa should've just waved at Loz in Aerith's Church, and Cloud should've just carried all the kidnapped kids home on his bike, while Kadaj apologised.

It's not (a different film). I am 10 minutes in and I don't like it overall, for many reasons which I did not like it for before. It isn't going to get any better but I will watch it to the end.

You're missing the point. Don't JUST watch the additions, and pick it apart from your previous bias of AC. Watch the film AS A WHOLE.

Rest assured though that I will be putting a review on youtube of why it sucks.

Rest assured, no one cares any more than they did that you disliked AC.

Don't post until you're 2 hours in DONE WATCHING IT.

This. Just sit down and watch the damn film. We don't need a scene by scene update from you.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop

It probably won't. It does, however, make it an overall better movie - more bits of background, more bits of details, smoother storytelling, and in some parts, better (HD) visuals (although they upscaled existing scenes). I found ACC more enjoyable / better than AC, without actually voicing my opinion on either as a movie.

They aren't trying to cater to non-FF7 fans, and they don't try to pretend like they are.
That isn't a good thing.

Depends on what you think is a good thing or not. It's not a good thing if Square wants to be a significant player in the (CG) movie market, for example.

I've started watching but I will have to switch to Japanese audio. THis english dub is a joke.

I listened to exactly 0,5 seconds of English dub, then I stuck a screwdriver up my ears.

There is already 1 plot hole.

...dun dun dunnn! A movie without plot holes is like <insert a relevant and/or nonsensical analogy here>.

DLPB

Banned Flunky
AKA
I am sorry people, but how do you LIKE this? HOW do you LIKE this film? It is BLOODY awful!

"It goes without saying that it was SHinra who put this world in the sorry state it is in"

WOULD RUFUS REALLY SAY THAT? Would he balls. This isn't even in character. Rufus was a ruthless leader who did not give a shit.

Last edited:

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
...dun dun dunnn! A movie without plot holes is like <insert a relevant and/or nonsensical analogy here>.

He assuming something is a plot hole when he hasn't even seen the whole film. I don't think he knows what a plot hole is. But yeah, every movie/tv show/video game has plot holes.

DLPB

Banned Flunky
AKA
I don't think he knows what a plot hole is.
I think I understand that this film is a disaster from start to finish. Obviously you watched it and don't have a clue why it is piss poor. That says more about you than me.

There are so many things wrong with this film ALREADY.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
"It goes without saying that it was SHinra who put this world in the sorry state it is in"

WOULD RUFUS REALLY SAY THAT? Would he balls. This isn't even in character. Rufus was a ruthless leader who did not give a shit.

Hey doofus, he's trying to con Cloud into helping them.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
It's like watching a 5 year having to finish eating his brussel sprouts, but instead of making faces or whining, he posts EVERY TIME he tastes them. HOW ABOUT JUST TELL US ABOUT IT WHEN YOU'RE DONE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom