The Love Triangle Debate thread of KNEEL BEFORE ZOD OR SUFFER HIS WRATH (ignore the opening posts at your peril) (Round 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClerithRaven

DIE-HARD CLERITH
AKA
Ren, ClerithRaven, Lunafresca's Raven
I agree. But I think Cloud is acting like the father in CoT already. :awesome:

At a time. Though that stopped when he left. Hope it resumes after AC/C. Marlene and Denzel obviously want Cloud pay attention to them.

Oh, tough one. I guess Cloud is more of a temporary dad, or.. something..

Yeah. I guess so too.

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tifabelle, Nathan Drake, Locke Cole, Kain Highwind, Yamcha, Arya Stark
In regards to the "who's the daddy?" issue. People have fathers and step-fathers for example. A person can have twelve father figures in their life.

Marle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Ava, Spike Spiegel, Stella Nox Fleuret, Altair Ibn-La'Ahad, Princess Zelda, Alice, Raven Roth, Faye Valentine, Tifa Lockhart, Khal Drogo
Oh, heavens no! That would be.. well, bothersome for me too. I just pointed it out. It's more like, Barret is Marlene's legal father. While Tifa acts as the mother, adn well, let's assume that Cloud finally manages to really act as the father after AC/C.

Though what happens when Barret comes back? Lucky Marlene. She gets two fathers.

:joy:

Cool! :D I'm glad we could agree on that. I also like to think Cloud becomes even more of a fatherly figure to the kids after AC/C. True, he was one before but I think he really matured by the end of the movie with the help from Aerith and friends. :) But that has no bearing on Barret being the man who initially raised Marlene and is her legal father. Girl can totally have two awesome, badass fathers! That's all I really wanted to hear.

You and me both, sister. :whistle:

Yeah, Misty love, I just hope you know that none of us here will judge or dislike you for your views on what pairings you like/ship/believe is canon. As you can already tell, it's been a mostly chill atmosphere regardless of shipping preference. Friends are friends because they're good people, not because they ship what I agree with. Just keep that in mind, k?

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
Again? She changed before?
Huh.......

Several times before. Like Raven said, no one is going to judge you for the pairing you like. But if you truly like Cloti this time around, make sure it's because actually enjoy the pairing. And as for the LTD... make sure you actually believe it's canon. you never agreed with the HW stuff before.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu

Hey, if you can decide for Cloud and Barret to mutually love each other like Anastar seems to think the AV lets you decide, they have every right to both be Marlene's daddy.

Finally, we agree on something, Ryu. :glomp:

I think you'll find no one disagrees that Barret is Marlene's father in his and her eyes. It just doesn't affect the 7th Heaven family unit.

And yeah, changing guardianship by handing a child off to your relatives or most trusted friends really isn't that complicated.
Luanne in King of the Hill, Will in Fresh Prince, Cousin Oliver on the Brady Bunch...

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
There have been much more complicated plot stories in video games. Within FFVII even :monster:

Claim: Tifa didn't prohibit Cloud coming into her room when her mother just had died.
She does. The dialogue is like this:
"Hey, look! Cloud's coming. You think he wants to come in?"
*Tifa shakes her head*

Claim: Tifa's family doesn't just consist of friends.
However, she says so. It's certainly true that Cloud holds a very special place within her heart, but does Cloud also feel the same?
As far as I remember, it was said nowhere that Cloud loves any woman in the game romantically at the present time, and the only thing we've got are two quotes about ambiguous feelings he holds towards both women.

Claim: Nomura didn't seem to be picky about making Ingus/Sara, Squall/Rinoa, etc. canon.

Two things to say:
First, I agree. While it's true that all those couples are canon, there was never another comparable love triangle. While there were other love triangle situations, the feelings of the protagonist were always made certain, through actions or words and what not. Also, they were seen together kissing, hugging, etc. They always had got something that made it clear that they were a couple.
However, both Aerith and Tifa lack such a treatment, and Clouds feelings were never clarified to hundred percent. Therefore, I don't think FFVII is comparable to any other game since there wasn't a similar situation in other games.
Second, I think you did understand me wrongly. I wasn't talking about Nomura making couples canon, I was talking about him making some medias uncanon. Like "Last Order" or - in some opinions - "Maiden who travels the planet". So I think if Nomura wanted CloTi to be canon, he would say something against the magazine's conclusion...?

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
Hey, look! Cloud's coming. You think he wants to come in?"
*Tifa shakes her head*

Shaking your head no to "do you think he wants to come in" is not prohibiting him. Besides, her Mother just died. She probably didn't want anyone talking to her.

However, she says so. It's certainly true that Cloud holds a very special place within her heart, but does Cloud also feel the same?
As far as I remember, it was said nowhere that Cloud loves any woman in the game romantically at the present time, and the only thing we've got are two quotes about ambiguous feelings he holds towards both women.

Yes, we KNOW she says so. Once again, you can have a family of friends and a family of others. Cloud does feel the same. He said he wanted to start a new life with her and that it was *different* with her by his side. She's also the woman that understands him the most, it's her opinion that matters most (words of Cloud on that one). Also don't forget that in the game Cloud thanks everyone (including Aerith) but actually goes out of his way to say "Especially you, Tifa". Cloud shares mutual feelings with Tifa (as stated) and Tifa loves Cloud. That says it right there.

Also who says all the games need to play the same? Like FFXII that had no love interests really at all.

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
Claim: Tifa didn't prohibit Cloud coming into her room when her mother just had died.
She does. The dialogue is like this:
"Hey, look! Cloud's coming. You think he wants to come in?"
*Tifa shakes her head*

But Cloud says it was his first time in the room. She also nods it after shaking it, and we see that Cloud has joined the group on their trek up the mountain. He was let in.

Claim: Tifa's family doesn't just consist of friends.

The 'family of friends' quote could also, and more logically does, refer to her time with AVALANCHE, as it's Tifa's thoughts intercut in remembrance once the idea of the new family is started.
As for Cloud holding Tifa special in his heart, well, yes. She's the subject of the sealed up secret wish and the tender memories. She's who he wanted to impress. He'd be so pleased to learn she was looking for information on him. She's the only person he's opened his heart up to.

Claim: Nomura didn't seem to be picky about making Ingus/Sara, Squall/Rinoa, etc. canon.

Two things to say:
First, I agree. While it's true that all those couples are canon, there was never another comparable love triangle. While there were other love triangle situations, the feelings of the protagonist were always made certain, through actions or words and what not. Also, they were seen together kissing, hugging, etc. They always had got something that made it clear that they were a couple.

Ingus and Sarah didn't, actually. No hug, no kiss.
Actually, Wakka and Lulu didn't either. But we didn't see their confession moment, either.
The FTOIL page is really concerned about moments of romantic expression- folks pouring their romantic feelings out for another.

However, both Aerith and Tifa lack such a treatment, and Clouds feelings were never clarified to hundred percent. Therefore, I don't think FFVII is comparable to any other game since there wasn't a similar situation in other games.

Well, no Love Triangles with someone in them Dying, no. But there is the Cecil <-> Rosa <- Kain LT.

Second, I think you did understand me wrongly. I wasn't talking about Nomura making couples canon, I was talking about him making some medias uncanon. Like "Last Order" or - in some opinions - "Maiden who travels the planet". So I think if Nomura wanted CloTi to be canon, he would say something against the magazine's conclusion...?

Maiden, for all it's issues elsewhere, isn't a problem to C/T. It's actually a problem to several C/A arguments too. Most of the people who argue against it do so not from a position of the LTD, but it being patently ignored in the coming years and compilation entries.
Also, Nomura ALSO didn't make those entires acanon. We're not quite sure who did. But Nomura isn't the sole arbiter of FF7. At the minimum, Nojima and Kitase also hold sway.

Tina Armstrong

Rockstar
AKA
Fackbito, RedGloves, Eileen Galvin, Saria, Lady Croft
A question:
How does SE describe the other FF couples feelings for eachother in Ultimanias etc.?
Like how/when they realized their feelings for eachother.

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
If someone wants to translate these, be my guest? Lol. They were translated awhile ago when people were requesting scans of the pages, but I totally forgot what they were. But I still have the scans. XD And they books... I just don't know what they say. :monster:

http://s230.photobucket.com/albums/ee17/bpmm/?action=view&current=001-2.jpg

http://s230.photobucket.com/albums/ee17/bpmm/?action=view&current=ffx001.jpg

http://s230.photobucket.com/albums/ee17/bpmm/?action=view&current=VIchart001.jpg

and then here's VII's chart:
http://s230.photobucket.com/albums/ee17/bpmm/?action=view&current=ffvii001.jpg

as for direct quotes, I'm not sure... If I could have this entire book translated that'd be awesome. Then again I'd have to scan EVERY SINGLE PAGE and have to find someone willing to translate them. XD

You know a good TLS project would be translating what the Ultimanias say about the other games. :)

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
Higher resolution scans, if you please. I know you have 'em.
IIRC, from the last time I gandered at these Wakka and Lulu are also referred to as Childhood Friends. Using the same phrase used for Cloud and Tifa too.

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Then again I'd have to scan EVERY SINGLE PAGE and have to find someone willing to translate them. XD

OMG DO IT. Just scan them in. Maybe someone(s) will translate when they're bored. If not, I can still look at pretty pictures.

Claim: Tifa's and Cloud's love was made canon when they started to be a family and when it was said that they shared mutual feelings under the Highwind.
So Cloud's romantic interest in Tifa was made canon in a highly equivocal quote and a mention that he was now part of a family?
For the family part, I think it was already answered, and therefore, the only remaining evidence are the lines about the Highwind - lines that leave much room for speculation and interpretation.
I guess there is nothing else...?

Claim: The CecilxRosaxKain Love Triangle is comparable to FFVII's love triangle.
Wasn't Rosa's love for Cecil made clear? Didn't she say that she loved him?

Claim: Tifa's lines are no prohibition for Cloud entering her room.
First, I agree with all the argue about why Tifa did this and why not.
But second, it seems as if she is prohibiting him from going in there. If she blatantly says to her surrounding friends she doesn't want to have him in her room, then this comes close to prohibiting him from being there.
But, indeed, she doesn't explicitly prohibit it, right.

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
Higher resolution scans, if you please. I know you have 'em.

Sure, but I'd have to rescan them and I'm not gonna be home until Thursday. xD

OMG DO IT. Just scan them in. Maybe someone(s) will translate when they're bored. If not, I can still look at pretty pictures.

Guuurl do you know how lazy I am? If anyone wanted anything specific then I would do it. XD

If she blatantly says to her surrounding friends

But she doesn't. She doesn't say anything. Re-read what Ryu posted.

But she doesn't. She doesn't say anything. Re-read what Ryu posted.
Okay, then I'll rephrase:
"If she blatantly tells her surrounding friends through shaking her head that she doesn't want to have him in her room, then this comes close to prohibiting him from being there."

aerbear

Lv. 25 Adventurer
No. It just happens to be one of the four most important scenes in said story according to Square.

Does it affect anything? What changes due to the Highwind scene existing/being High Affection or Low Affection?

OWD said the dates/date mechanics aren't important, so neither is the Highwind scene.

Yeah, that doesn't actually address anything that OWD said. I know you're here to help Anastar, but you should help her by making cogent arguments, not asking people if they need hugs.

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know we're supposed to be cynical thundercunts to each other, and we can't make jokes, and Final Fantasy isn't supposed to make us happy, we're supposed to be angry and fight with each other for 15 years because we see things a little differently.

And I did help her, but no one responded to what I wrote. Funny that they responded to the Aer Bear hug comment instead.

Anastar, calling an argument bullshit isn't slander, even under the colloquial usage. Even IF IT WERE, given how rude and self contradictory you have been in this thread, take your lumps.

I haven't seen Anastar being rude at all. But OWD, on the other hand, and quite a few people on your side, have been.

As for self contradictory, I think a lot of the Compilation has serious contradictory on its own. When we're dealing with contradictory subject matter, it may be hard to get your point across, especially since her opinions/ideas/interpretations are being ignored or shot down entirely because it doesn't make sense to you.

I see Anastar giving quotes and facts, and then her interpretation, opinion, and analysis of those quotes and facts. I see about eight people denying all of it. You don't have to agree with her, and she doesn't have to agree with you. So it's only "bullshit" to you. OWD should have left that to himself because it isn't a "cogent argument."

Incorrect. It is a part of it and as a part of it, it plays a role and has a purpose. It is the payoff to an earlier set-up. It's basic storytelling.

Tifa's feelings are a part of the story and as such need to be addressed in the story. She loves Cloud. That's your set up. He either reciprocates or he does not, she either gets him or she doesn't. The answer to it, even if you feel that it plays no larger part in the story, is a vital part of Tifa's character arc. You can't just introduce her as Cloud's potential love interest and then never address it again. Because unlike Barret, who is completely an optional date for nothing more than shits and giggles, Tifa's feelings are written in stone. They are a part of the fucking story.

You said that the date mechanics, and therefore the dates, aren't important. But that's also basic storytelling. Aerith tells Cloud how she feels and her intentions on her optional date. Aerith's feelings are also a part of the story and as such need to be addressed in the story. She loves Cloud. That's your set up. But "it affects diddly squat of the actual story." Because there are four outcomes? The Highwind scene has two outcomes. Not one. Which version you get depends on the date mechanics and how much you use her in combat. The dates rely on only the date mechanics. But that affects "diddly squat."

So if the versions of the Highwind scene rely on the date mechanics as well, this must affect "diddly squat."

WHY IS THE HIGHWIND SCENE SYNONYMOUS WITH THE HA VERSION?

Kitase: Katou also did the event on the airship, the night before the final battle.
Nojima: Oh, the scene with the risqué line of dialogue?

I'll repost what I wrote yesterday:

An offhand comment about what the scene is known for means that's the one that happened?

Have you heard of Mass Effect? It's known that if you play as a dude, you can have a relationship with Miranda Lawson. I'm saying her specifically because she's the most well known person for a guy to be with in the second game. But this is also optional. Having a relationship with any other character is optional, being a girl in the game and having a relationship with any other character is optional (though it is default to play the game as a guy), or , even better, not having one at all is optional. When the people who make Mass Effect talk about the different relationships and what they're known for/what they mean, this makes them all canon?

There's no right or wrong way to play the game. There's no right or wrong way to play Final Fantasy. There's no right or wrong way to choose between Aerith and Tifa.

"Nothing else matters now, just Cloud"

When she says this, that's one of the reasons I see her as being really dependent. Nothing else matters, not AVALANCHE, not their other friends, not Marlene, in comparison to Cloud?

I just see Tifa in a different light, I guess.

I definitely don't like Tifa, but I think she's easy to relate to. She's kind of clingy and annoying (in my opinion), but a lot of us chicks are. But in FFVII, she shows that she's too dependent. She cries a lot, she only seems to care about Cloud. I think when a girl is too dependent on a particular dude, she shouldn't be with him. I think there's someone in the Final Fantasy VII world that will make her kind of grow up, be independent. I think she should be with someone like Reno, who has a really strong, in-your-face personality. That'd be great for her. Cloud is maybe a little too sensitive, like her, and doesn't seem to communicate very well with her. Nojima said things "might not work" between him and Tifa, and personally I agree.

not to be mean, but it kinda annoys me.
You aren't being mean AT ALL. You're talking to me, not in a forceful way like the rest of them.

Well that's a well thought out answer, but I want to point out that in the 10th AU playback, it's not a script, it's a summary of the story. IN that summary they only mention the high affection version. hell in the BOOK they only mention the high affection :monster: It seems that Square at the very least favors the HA version. You'd agree with that right? Why do you think this is?

I'm not denying that Square seems to favor the HA version. They said themselves, the other version is apathetic and ends quickly. But both versions wouldn't be there for no reason.

It may be just because Aerith is dead, but either way, it does seem to me like they favor Cloud and Tifa in the later Compilation and the books, and favor Cloud and Aerith in other games (Dissidia, Kingdom Hearts, Itadaki Street.) Not trying to pull those three AU games into here, but I just think they're trying to please everyone. But even if they favor the HA version, this doesn't make it canon. It's like you said on the other forum, bringing in the Highwind scene sucks because everybody goes around and around and won't agree with each other. We all here love Final Fantasy, right? This is the most important thing, is it not? More important than Cloud's relationshits. But calling Cloud and Tifa canon because Nojima only mentioned a line of dialogue from the High Affection version (which is undeniably the reason the Highwind scene is infamous) and the HA version is most dominant in the Ultimanias, doesn't make it canon. We're still allowed to choose who Cloud likes based on our personal interpretations, and that's the beauty of them not making anything canon.

It's when someone insists that their side is canon, that's when people start getting pissed.

(don't give me that "There's no canon couple!" nonsense, because you don't believe it either)

I do believe there's no canon couple. I'm not here to prove Cloud/Aerith, I'm just trying to say that calling us delusional, saying it's over when it isn't over, and excluding us is not right.

Cloud names various reasons for fighting, on the top of them "a very important, personal memory".
I consider Aerith to be that personal memory. But since Cloud didn't clarify, we're both speculating.

Connecting the dots. Do it right.
I connect different dots. So I'm wrong?

But, no matter, Cloud will always go for Tifa.
Because Square Enix doesn't say it's up to the players. We're all entitled to your beliefs. Thank you, and hallelujah. Praise be to Yevon.

Kobato

Pro Adventurer
Why the change of heart... again? Seriously, if you're not sure which pairing is canon just say so.

On Quex's forum I asked a Cloti question, and it made sense( the answers I got in return.) Yeah I admit, I've jumped sides alot during this year. xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom