Final Fantasy Tactics Community Playthrough

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
CHAPTER TWO

How did you feel about the rest of the "flashback" chapter?

I really enjoyed the flashback chapter and how we learnt the details concerning the rift between Ramza and Delita. Commoner vs Royalty is always a very interesting dynamic to witness unfold in fiction, especially commoners rising up to be treated with more respect and as equals to those simply born with royal blood.

Of course I have a slightly biased view on events as I'm personally not a massive fan of the monarchy (I'm from the UK) or the 'privilege' bestowed on people simply for being born in a better position, but let's not get into that here, lol.

It's sad to see their friendship torn like this.

How much do you hate Argath/Algus?

Off the scale, lol. I really hate the guy and his involvement in events.

Did any of the fights in this chapter give you trouble?

I saw 'Game Over' multiple times, so yeah, lol. Both fights just saw my team getting wiped out, as my main hitters ended up in vulnerable positions in their rescue attempts for my weaker team members. I did a couple of grind battles in order to obtain Lifefont for a key few units, making sure everyone had either Parry or Counter, and outfitting some of my units with access to Hi-Potion.

Eventually I managed to get through it, but that did take a heck of a while, hence the delay.

Fangu

Great Old One
Don't have any allies on the tile next to the enemy you're killing with fire. Check.

Also, Chocobos are evil in this game X( When I can I take them to a tavern and have them roasted for supper?

Oh, question:
I would recommend prioritizing getting all the non-guest characters on your party JP Boost as soon as possible (It's a Squire passive skill - the little curved arrow icon in the ability screen - remember to Assign/Set it after you unlock it!). One other tip to keep in mind is that if anyone on the party is earning JP for a given job, the rest of the participating party will also earn a fraction for that job.
But don't they have to stay in the Squire job for this passive ability to work?

Last edited:

AvecAloes

Donator
Once they've learned the skill, you can use it no matter what job you are, as long as you remember to set/assign it :)

Fangu

Great Old One
Okay, that's pretty win. But in order to gain JP for a role, they need to be in that role when they earn JP, right? So I'm not gonna get JP to get me JP Boost when my character is a Black Mage. Right?

Sorry I'm behind :lol:

AvecAloes

Donator
You will earn JP for a job if anyone in your party is that job. So if you have a black mage in your party, the rest of your squad will earn 1/4 of the black mage JP that the black mage earns.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
Chapter 3 Thoughts

• The third battle in this chapter has one of my favorite tracks (entitled Battle on the Bridge). What are your thoughts on the OST so far?

• Okay, I'm not going to lie - one of the main things that spurred my interest in playing Tactics again was listening to the OST (I have them all, of course). The music in this game is amazing, and as it is primarily battle themes it's amazing to hear the variety of music that goes into it. Rather than be one Ishimoto-esque guitar wailing after another, or even the usual Uematsu affair which would still have worked, Sakimoto and Iwata create dazzling and exciting orchestral piece one after the other, from tense and dark, to uplifting and exciting, to slow and somber and to energized and climactic. The OST here is no slouch at all and I'm always excited to hear what the next story battle will bring by way of music.

[*]This chapter really starts to get into the shifting or unclear loyalties/goals. What are your thoughts on the different parties' motives?

Well the Game of Thrones comparison rings true - though most of the characters motivations at this point don't seem entirely unclear. Perhaps the most suspicious is Mustadio but for the most part
    we get why Delita is doing what he is doing even if we don't know the ins and outs of it, we know Gafgarion is a money-hungry mercenary fuck, we know Agrias is adorably loyal and honorable, and that Ramza is disenchanted and trying to do what he thinks is right - status quo be damned. There is still the matter of Weigraf and all the "higher up" characters though.

[*]If this is your first time, are you starting to gain some comfort with the game's systems? If you're a vet, are you trying some different character/job combinations?

You know my plans by now. Spam and grind, like dirty dancing with a poor person. :P

ForceStealer

Double Growth
It's Hashimoto, thus it sounds like everything else he has ever written. :P He has such a distinctive style; many times I've said "oh, that's Hashimoto" within 10 seconds of seeing or playing a game for the first time. I already knew he had co-composed the score for Tactics before I started, but you get the point.

This is absolutely true. He does have quite a "tell." Shimomura does too, but still not as much as Hashimoto.

The good thing about his music is that it almost always fits the setting. It's very thematically consistent and never really irritates me. The bad thing about it is that I forget it almost as soon as I put the game down. Clash on the (small) Bridge? I honestly don't remember it, and I won't until I either play the game multiple times or listen to the soundtrack extensively. Then again, my memory is like a sieve...

Okay, I'm not going to lie - one of the main things that spurred my interest in playing Tactics again was listening to the OST (I have them all, of course). The music in this game is amazing, and as it is primarily battle themes it's amazing to hear the variety of music that goes into it. Rather than be one Ishimoto-esque guitar wailing after another, or even the usual Uematsu affair which would still have worked, Sakimoto and Iwata create dazzling and exciting orchestral piece one after the other, from tense and dark, to uplifting and exciting, to slow and somber and to energized and climactic. The OST here is no slouch at all and I'm always excited to hear what the next story battle will bring by way of music.

Interestingly, though I agree with Flint generally on Hashimoto, in that I never dislike his music, I also never remember any of it. I find that Tactics kind of bucks that trend. I'm aware that I'm much more familiar with the game so it could simply be that, but I find that I'll be whistling Tactics themes later. Trisection, and that main motif (featuring prominently in Battle on the Bridge) especially, along with that title card theme, are often stuck in my head. With the exception of Rabanastre, none of his other OSTs (that I've experienced) have done that for me. I've wondered before if that's on account of the co-composer, or PS1's chipset (whether in limitations forcing more memorable melodies on the tracks or something else).

Russell

.. ? ..
AKA
King of the Potato People
I can't get past Ziekden Fortess fight against Argath, how do I do it?

Argath uses auto-potion every time you hit him, Ramza is the only player I have that does more that 30 damage so how the fuck do you beat him?

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I hit him almost exclusively with black magic and I don't remember him auto-potioning once. Perhaps magic doesn't trigger it?

ForceStealer

Double Growth
It does, but it is a % chance, so you can get lucky. Still, magic is probably the best choice as it will do enough to outpace any healing auto-potion will do.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I've been waiting for a new chapter since yesterday and every time I see you post here I think it's gone up. Only now did I realise that you've switched to posting them every five days. D'oh.

I'm fine with the change, just a bit slow on the uptake. :monster: Might have to play something else to scratch my Final Fantasy itch between chapters though.

AvecAloes

Donator
I've also been dying for more Tactics - I've been playing random battles while waiting for the next chapter, but I'm worried about becoming over-leveled for the story battles. Guess we'll see :monster:

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Delita can't die. keep in mind you can drag the battle out for ever and move through his people as a full group.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Chapter 4: The Legend of the Zodiac Braves

Time: Wednesday Feb 15 to Monday Feb 20

Target: When you complete the battle pictured below at Golgollada Gallows

a8h6iFT.jpg

This chapter is a bit longer, with 5 story battles and lots of story. More intrigue regarding the Crown is presented, as well as some new players. None of these battles should be anything too unexpected at this point, and you can start bringing 5 characters into battle now, which is welcome. You will start encountering Summoners, though. They're fragile, but can deal damage over a large area, be careful.

Two things I did want to point out about the chocobo you recruited in the last chapter just in case people didn't know. One, chocobos (and any monsters recruited), will periodically lay eggs as you move around the map that will spawn new chocobos. You can dismiss them as they start to fill up your roster, but once it starts producing Red or Black chocobos there can be some benefit. Red Chocobos know Choco Meteor which is a really powerful move. The other thing is that if you bring a chocobo into battle, by moving one of your characters onto the same square, they will mount it. The chocobo will no longer get its own turns, but the character will now have the chocobo's movement range, which can be useful. Especially with Black chocobos, who can fly.

Discussion:
  • Have you been participating in any Errands?
  • Now that Mustadio is no longer a Guest, did you continue using him? (Even if you don't use him, you will need him on your party for sidequests, so sign him up and hold onto him.)
  • Any thoughts on the story developments in this chapter?
  • Did you struggle with any of these fights? About now you can start delving into some of the more unique jobs, what kind of party are you rockin'?

Last edited:

AvecAloes

Donator
Chapter 3

Discussion:
  • The third battle in this chapter has one of my favorite tracks (entitled Battle on the Bridge). What are your thoughts on the OST so far?

I have always loved the soundtrack for this game. I very much appreciate that there are several battle themes that play, especially since each battle can last anywhere between 5-45 minutes. It would be something of a bore to listen to the same theme for every battle in this case. I also used to listen to the soundtrack while at work, as it makes for really good background noise while dealing with frustrated patients :lol:
  • This chapter really starts to get into the shifting or unclear loyalties/goals. What are your thoughts on the different parties' motives?

I hate them all.
  • If this is your first time, are you starting to gain some comfort with the game's systems? If you're a vet, are you trying some different character/job combinations?

Up through this chapter, I was really sticking with the familiar jobs. Monk for Ramza, two lady Archers, a Black Mage who sometimes became a Time Mage for some JP there, and a White Mage. I start switching it up (albeit only a little so far) in the next chapter!

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Have you been participating in any Errands?
Yup. I had only done one before, but I figured this would be a good chapter to do all the things. I was wrong. All but four of my non-Chocobo characters were on errands when I got trapped in Goug. I just completed the chapter and I still haven't got them back. :lol:

It's okay though; I made sure to keep my best characters, and then Mustadio and Agrias joined anyway. I did have to go through a couple of fights with a Chocobo on my team but that wasn't a problem. I've got a few black birds in my crew, no reds yet though.

Now that Mustadio is no longer a Guest, did you continue using him? (Even if you don't use him, you will need him on your party for sidequests, so sign him up and hold onto him.)
I used him in the first fight after he joined because I basically had to. :P I also put him in my party for the Gallows fight but swapped him out for my second, successful attempt. Unlike Agrias, he doesn't seem that useful.

Any thoughts on the story developments in this chapter?
It's a game of thrones. :monster: Agrias (?) even says as much. Colour me confused.

Did you struggle with any of these fights? About now you can start delving into some of the more unique jobs, what kind of party are you rockin'?
Only the fight at the Gallows gave me any real trouble. Eight against five isn't very fair, game. >_>

My first thought was to take out Gaffgarion as quickly as possible. That proved fruitless, since he insisted on using Shadowblade, and thus healing himself by 40-50 HP, every turn. I tried piling on him but my characters (Ramza/monk, Mustadio/machinist, Agrias/holy knight, black mage, archer) couldn't survive more than a few rounds. So I thought to myself, before making a second attempt, "I'm outnumbered and my units are divided; what do I most need right now?", and I decided it was HP. I would spend the first couple of turns bringing my units closer together and then start picking off the enemies one by one.

So Ramza became a knight and Mustadio was switched out for another knight, who, between them, formed a protective barrier around my black mage at the start. I made Agrias and my archer the two isolated characters because they could still do ranged attacks while I moved them across the battlefield to join the others. Once they were more or less together, it was relatively straightforward. The black mage could 1HKO most enemy units, and she also had white magic for auxiliary healing. I completely ignored the time mages at the start because they spent roughly half their turns hasting themselves to no real effect. They were out of MP and completely harmless by the end of the fight. Gaff himself was the second-last enemy to fall (or retreat, damn plot armour), with just one archer to take down after him.

I suppose the first fight was technically a bit hairy as well, but I was able to juggle phoenix downs efficiently enough to stop anyone's timer from hitting zero, so I beat it on the first try.

I'm still waiting for that roadblock of a fight that I just can't get past...

Russell

.. ? ..
AKA
So I got to the end of chapter 2.

I'm wondering how far I can go with an all Knight party. :wacky:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Damn, Flint, you're movin'. hahaha

I also put him in my party for the Gallows fight but swapped him out for my second, successful attempt. Unlike Agrias, he doesn't seem that useful.

He's definitely not on par with Agrias. He has some situational uses (Leg Shot is better than the Immobilize Spell, Seal Evil petrifies undead enemies, etc.) and guns pair nicely with Knight abilities. IMO, they're usually kind of a waste, but the ability to Rend Weapon/Armor at range becomes a much more tantalizing prospect. Of course, anyone with a gun could do this, not just Mustadio.

Also, he gets more outclassed in War of the Lions than in vanilla, but not til game-Chapter 4.

I'm still waiting for that roadblock of a fight that I just can't get past...

The next chapter MIGHT be the one, I remember having a lot of trouble with it on my last playthrough. Otherwise, if it will be anything, it will likely be the Riovanes Castle fights (my chapter 8). Everyone hates those.

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
Whaaaaaat? He's great. Add in the Knight's Break skills and put him back on Engineer and he's a debuff machine.

Russell

.. ? ..
AKA
I got to chapter 3, currently at Lion Castle I think. So I caught up? :monster:

I was about to comment that this games needs a Witcher 3 style glossary for characters, but then remembered it has one. :wacky:
(It under 'Chronicle' on the main menu.)

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
Discussion:
  • Have you been participating in any Errands?

• Oh baby I've done them all. It's a great way to get gold and if gives my off-characters something to do, which at this point is Rad, Alicia, Lavian and my two dudes who aren't Harry. I will literally pop them in an assignment and then go back and forth until they complete. The only one in this chapter I have yet to cash in on is the one in Lionel Castle, for obvious reasons.

[*]
    Now that Mustadio is no longer a Guest, did you continue using him? (Even if you don't use him, you will need him on your party for sidequests, so sign him up and hold onto him.)
    Yeah, same with Agrias, and I am thinking of devoting some time to re-training my B Team, which will now consist of Mustadio, Agrias, and my two non-healer dudes. It might be nice to have a physical focused backup unit, even though Team PunchSpell is rolling right along. Probably gonna make Mustadio learn the Knight abilities as recommended, but I'm also taking one of my guys through Mediator right now so I am thinking of combining Mediator and Time Mage to make a dedicated buffer/debuffer out of him.

[*]Any thoughts on the story developments in this chapter?

The names, Mason. What do they mean?

Seriously the higher up story took a left turn at snooker and loopy even though the basic premise as it relates to Ramza continues to be relatively simple. Even reading the Rumors at the Bar only filled in a few gaps. It's engaging no doubt but still can be confusing (this was the same problem I was having with FFFXII, though to be fair half the problem there was me spending literally hours grinding in between story sequences and I forgot what was going on).

[*]Did you struggle with any of these fights? About now you can start delving into some of the more unique jobs, what kind of party are you rockin'?

Not until the last one. I was steam-rolling through these fights with Team PunchSpell but the last one I had to do three times for a few reasons. There were the Time Mages which made my life hell, the insanely strong Knights who were carving through my mages like butter, but if I had to pin down one thing that killed me it was the fact that my party was split into two units. I hate whenever the game forces me to do this as my tactics are based around combined troop movement (Harry and Ramza's area healing makes me an impenetrable fortress of health while my mages decimate the opposition. And we scatter to be sure but can regroup when needed.)

The first time I actually did really well, since my mages and summoner can 7 times out of 10 kill an enemy in one hit. However Harry died and I couldn't get to him because my only nearby unit was Ramza who didn't have Item. I had Revive from Punch Art, but he was on a ramp and the ability only works on perfectly level ground which is fucking infuriating. Same with Chakra. The only weaknesses it has as we get into rockier and rockier terrain. The second time was a disaster. I tried to put my Summoner on the gate team which meant I wasn't able to get an early kill on the knights. Sure the Time Mages went down fast but not before Hasting Gafgarion which spelled my doom. Finally I just went hog-wild putting my units as close together as possible and I got really lucky that on two separate ocassions three enemy units wound up within summon range of each other and I managed to pull out a come from behind victory (I was down to Ramza and my summoner and came back from that, many thanks to switching Ramza to Monk so he could use Items and the Moogle Summon to heal everybody once I phoenix downed them all.)

Team PunchSpell's current roster:

Ramza - Samurai with Punch Art and Martial Arts. He's still really strong by quickly being outclassed by the Mages. I am training him slowly in the Samurai arts and once he has enough abilities there I will feel comfortable taking off the PunchArt training wheels to see how he handles with those skills.

Ilean - Summoner with a nearly full roster of Black Magic, including Bolt4 and Flare. And still learning new ones thanks to the JP Sharing. So far she has the basic elemental summons, Moogle and Titan. She deals the most damage by far especially with MagicAttackUp. We are talking guaranteed at least 120 HP in some cases as high as 208.

Harry - Dedicated healer. A Priest with a full roster of Items and Throw Item so he can still do his Chemist range. He has Cure - Cure3, Raise and Raise2 as well as Protect and Shell. But by far my favorite spell he has is Holy which has obscene and targeted damage (like Flare) and I swear in that last fight when I targeted one of the time mages with it, it dealt over 300 HP damage. He's kind of a badass.

Madeline / Penelope - My two "understudy" Wizards. My plans are to have them finish up the Black Magic spells and then decide what to do with them. Madeline in particular tends to under perform a bit in the magic area so I might consider re-classing her into a physical role, or turn her into a buffer/debuffer. (By underperform I mean she only deals 90 damage as opposed to everybody elses triple digits)

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Chapter 4: The Legend of the Zodiac Braves

Have you been participating in any Errands?

I've send Rad, Lavian and Alicia to retrieve a cat, I just hope they'll be okay.

Agrias, a Chocobo or he are the fifth member of my party depending on the needs. Don't see him sticking around for long though.

Any thoughts on the story developments in this chapter?

Dycedarg send Gaffgarion to look after Ramza, he might be ruthless player in the political game but he's no Argath or Zalbaag. Seems to be getting outplayed by Delita though.

Did you struggle with any of these fights? About now you can start delving into some of the more unique jobs, what kind of party are you rockin'?

The Gallows fight was a real pickle as usual. Took a bit of experimenting to get there. I now got Black Mage Ramza (spamming Ramuh and Moogle endlessly), Black Mage Daimbert (got Chakra and Arcane Strength), Wulfhilda was a fairly useless Squire during the try on this fight that did it, Agrias soaked damage and slow spells so did not do a great deal either. Guinevere was a crackshot Orator. That 100% accuracy was pretty useful, got Gaffgarion to screw off right on his second turn.

Russell

.. ? ..
AKA
Golgollada Gallows is 8-vs-5!

I think this is the 'fuck I quit the game' type of battle, any tips? :huh:

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Golgollada Gallows is 8-vs-5!

I think this is the 'fuck I quit the game' type of battle, any tips? :huh:

Regroup your party as soon as possible, make sure you have at least two healers and faceroll down the Time Mages as soon as possible or they will make your life a living hell.

Also if you have a choice between healing yourself or killing a target, kill the target. Only heal if you can't instantly kill an enemy - depending upon how good and quick you can raise and heal. I recommend you take down the targets in this order, pending what is convenient to you, never avoid a chance to kill a target:

Time Mages
Knights
Gafgarion
Archers

Gafgarion may seem like the bigger threat, but depending upon your level their standard strikes and Magic Break ability can cripple and kill you faster than Gaffy who tends to stick mostly to Night Sword which is usually survivable.

Top Bottom