SPOILERS Leaked Character Screens (Untagged Spoilers, potentially big implications)

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
So, massive dialogue dump incoming 'cause the subtitle files have been mined. Spoiler tagged for length and this being some huge spoilers.

I will bold the names of the speakers to aid in following the convo, cause the data is raw and it can be hard to follow.

$ev_sbil0_2720_0040_hjo_1,My, are you a SOLDIER?,Hojo
$ev_sbil0_2720_0050_cld_0,Yeah.,Cloud
$ev_sbil0_2720_0060_hjo_0,No, not quite.,Hojo
$ev_sbil0_2720_0070_hjo_0,Oh now I recall... My memory was mistaken...,Hojo
$ev_sbil0_2720_0070_hjo_1,My boy, you weren't a SOLDIER...,Hojo
$ev_sbil0_2721_0010_zax_0,You'll be my living legacy.,Zack
$ev_sbil0_2722_0010_hjo_0,What? What is this fascinating phenomenon!?,Hojo
$ev_sbil0_2722_0010_hjo_2,What's happening!? Where are you talking me!?,Hojo
$ev_sbil0_2722_0020_blt_0,What are those things up to this time?,Barret
$ev_sbil0_2722_0030_art_0,Cloud!,Aerith

::Some more shit happens, this next dialogue presumably happens later after the Shinra Building::

$ev_sbil0_7610_0050_blt_0,Okay, asshole, let's─,Barret
$ev_sbil0_7610_0060_art_0,Don't.,Aerith
$ev_sbil0_7610_0070_art_0,And you... You're <i>wrong</i>.,Aerith
$ev_sbil0_7610_0080_sep_0,Those who look with clouded eyes see nothing but shadows.,Sephiroth
$ev_sbil0_7610_0090_art_0,Everything about you is <i>wrong</i>.,Aerith
$ev_sbil0_7610_0100_sep_0,All born of her is bound to her.,Sephiroth
$ev_sbil0_7610_0100_sep_1,Should this world be unmade, so too shall her children.,Sephiroth
$ev_sbil0_7610_0110_cld_0,The world won't end today. But you...,Cloud
$ev_sbil0_7610_0110_cld_1,You will.,Cloud
$ev_sbil0_7630_0010_sep_0,Hearken...,Sephiroth
$ev_sbil0_7630_0012_cld_0,Those who look with clouded eyes see nothing but shadows.,
$ev_sbil0_7630_0013_blt_0,Those who look with clouded eyes see nothing but shadows.,
$ev_sbil0_7630_0020_sep_0,Destiny squalls.,Sephiroth
$ev_sbil0_7640_0010_zax_0,After walking that long road home, this is the welcome we get.,Zack
$ev_sbil0_7640_0020_zax_0,Figures.,Zack
$ev_sbil0_7640_0020_zax_1,Freedom never did come cheap.,Zack
$ev_sbil0_7640_0030_zax_0,Pay the price...,Zack
$ev_sbil0_7640_0040_zax_0,Pay it gladly... Make 'em earn it...,Zack
$ev_sbil0_7640_0040_zax_1,'Cause if a SOLDIER's got anything...he's got his pride!,Zack
$ev_sbil0_7640_0050_zax_0,I'm home, boys!,Zack

So if you're still here and read all of that, you see that
clearly the game is not even trying to hide Zack's presence from this game or part of the story at all. Furthermore, Cloud has a vision and even briefly hears Zack's words. They're almost lifting word for word his final dialogue lines from Crisis Core, keeping the theme and history between these two characters alive. Incidentally, Hojo even hints that Cloud wasn't a SOLDIER, but before more can be revealed, something seemingly attacks him or interrupts his dialogue which moves the scene to something else.

This has some heavy and interesting implications. First off, regarding Cloud's identity and his memory, this makes the "inner voice" within him that knows the truth have some much heavier weight and context now. While it may seem far too early for the game to bring this plot point up, bear in mind two points regarding this event.

Cloud's conscious mind has no idea what these images or words actually mean, nor any context of where they're from. They're snippets of memory that feel foreign and confusing to him, just like all the other times in the OG Cloud's inner voice tries to push Cloud into questioning his existence and see the truth.

Like the moment he sets the bomb in the first Mako Reactor, or when he falls through the roof of the Church, or while he naps in in the bed in Junon. All these instances are times Cloud's subconscious mind bluntly reveals the truth but he's completely unaware of their context and meaning. And while it may seem strange to reveal him this early, remember that the game in hindsight revealed quite a lot. However, the obvious moments cluing us in to Cloud's false identity lacked context or meaning due to us being unfamiliar with the plot and the twist regarding Cloud. For those not having the luxury of experience with the OG or the Compilation, these flashbacks don't reveal anything other than the fact Cloud has repressed memories and perhaps secrets to his past.

Through it all, Sephiroth mocks Cloud's situation and cryptically hints at the nature of his memories. "Those who look with clouded eyes see nothing but shadows."

The word-play and implication is a bit on the nose but speaks to Sephiroth clearly toying with the fact Cloud's memories are not as they seem. Yet as expected.... Cloud doesn't get the hint or even question it. Which of course, makes sense. He shrugs it off and only focuses on fighting him. Sephiroth's line "Destiny squalls" seems to imply something... As if their fates are aligned and on a collision course.

This seems to all take place in the last chapter of the game. Aptly named, "Destiny's Crossroads."

Aerith rejects Sephiroth vehemently here. And seemingly senses there's something wrong about him. Perhaps implying she senses he's not a Cetra but is in actuality descended from Jenova. An invader and the furthest thing from a Cetra conceptually.

Also, something tells me that the thing that interrupted Hojo were the Guardians of Destiny. I have a theory that their purpose is to ensure Cloud stays in the dark regarding his past and keep him on track of Sephiroth. Calling it now.

TL;DR The implication from all this is, while the plot of the Remake may run parallel with the direction of the original VII and keep its overall themes and story beats.... Changes have been made and they're leaning into working this story differently. Especially in terms of how they lay out the plot progression. And especially in regards to using parts of the Compilation.

Personally, I'm a bit surprised but as long as they do it right and keep Cloud as the loveable and blissfully unaware puppet badass he is for this game, this should be awesome.

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
hr69bNp.png

This Guy Are Sick is definitely holding Jenova's headless corpse, right? :hohum:

Rose_of_Night

Pro Adventurer
So, massive dialogue dump incoming 'cause the subtitle files have been mined. Spoiler tagged for length and this being some huge spoilers.

I will bold the names of the speakers to aid in following the convo, cause the data is raw and it can be hard to follow.

$ev_sbil0_2720_0040_hjo_1,My, are you a SOLDIER?,Hojo
$ev_sbil0_2720_0050_cld_0,Yeah.,Cloud
$ev_sbil0_2720_0060_hjo_0,No, not quite.,Hojo
$ev_sbil0_2720_0070_hjo_0,Oh now I recall... My memory was mistaken...,Hojo
$ev_sbil0_2720_0070_hjo_1,My boy, you weren't a SOLDIER...,Hojo
$ev_sbil0_2721_0010_zax_0,You'll be my living legacy.,Zack
$ev_sbil0_2722_0010_hjo_0,What? What is this fascinating phenomenon!?,Hojo
$ev_sbil0_2722_0010_hjo_2,What's happening!? Where are you talking me!?,Hojo
$ev_sbil0_2722_0020_blt_0,What are those things up to this time?,Barret
$ev_sbil0_2722_0030_art_0,Cloud!,Aerith

::Some more shit happens, this next dialogue presumably happens later after the Shinra Building::

$ev_sbil0_7610_0050_blt_0,Okay, asshole, let's─,Barret
$ev_sbil0_7610_0060_art_0,Don't.,Aerith
$ev_sbil0_7610_0070_art_0,And you... You're <i>wrong</i>.,Aerith
$ev_sbil0_7610_0080_sep_0,Those who look with clouded eyes see nothing but shadows.,Sephiroth
$ev_sbil0_7610_0090_art_0,Everything about you is <i>wrong</i>.,Aerith
$ev_sbil0_7610_0100_sep_0,All born of her is bound to her.,Sephiroth
$ev_sbil0_7610_0100_sep_1,Should this world be unmade, so too shall her children.,Sephiroth
$ev_sbil0_7610_0110_cld_0,The world won't end today. But you...,Cloud
$ev_sbil0_7610_0110_cld_1,You will.,Cloud
$ev_sbil0_7630_0010_sep_0,Hearken...,Sephiroth
$ev_sbil0_7630_0012_cld_0,Those who look with clouded eyes see nothing but shadows.,
$ev_sbil0_7630_0013_blt_0,Those who look with clouded eyes see nothing but shadows.,
$ev_sbil0_7630_0020_sep_0,Destiny squalls.,Sephiroth
$ev_sbil0_7640_0010_zax_0,After walking that long road home, this is the welcome we get.,Zack
$ev_sbil0_7640_0020_zax_0,Figures.,Zack
$ev_sbil0_7640_0020_zax_1,Freedom never did come cheap.,Zack
$ev_sbil0_7640_0030_zax_0,Pay the price...,Zack
$ev_sbil0_7640_0040_zax_0,Pay it gladly... Make 'em earn it...,Zack
$ev_sbil0_7640_0040_zax_1,'Cause if a SOLDIER's got anything...he's got his pride!,Zack
$ev_sbil0_7640_0050_zax_0,I'm home, boys!,Zack

So if you're still here and read all of that, you see that
clearly the game is not even trying to hide Zack's presence from this game or part of the story at all. Furthermore, Cloud has a vision and even briefly hears Zack's words. They're almost lifting word for word his final dialogue lines from Crisis Core, keeping the theme and history between these two characters alive. Incidentally, Hojo even hints that Cloud wasn't a SOLDIER, but before more can be revealed, something seemingly attacks him or interrupts his dialogue which moves the scene to something else.

This has some heavy and interesting implications. First off, regarding Cloud's identity and his memory, this makes the "inner voice" within him that knows the truth have some much heavier weight and context now. While it may seem far too early for the game to bring this plot point up, bear in mind two points regarding this event.

Cloud's conscious mind has no idea what these images or words actually mean, nor any context of where they're from. They're snippets of memory that feel foreign and confusing to him, just like all the other times in the OG Cloud's inner voice tries to push Cloud into questioning his existence and see the truth.

Like the moment he sets the bomb in the first Mako Reactor, or when he falls through the roof of the Church, or while he naps in in the bed in Junon. All these instances are times Cloud's subconscious mind bluntly reveals the truth but he's completely unaware of their context and meaning. And while it may seem strange to reveal him this early, remember that the game in hindsight revealed quite a lot. However, the obvious moments cluing us in to Cloud's false identity lacked context or meaning due to us being unfamiliar with the plot and the twist regarding Cloud. For those not having the luxury of experience with the OG or the Compilation, these flashbacks don't reveal anything other than the fact Cloud has repressed memories and perhaps secrets to his past.

Through it all, Sephiroth mocks Cloud's situation and cryptically hints at the nature of his memories. "Those who look with clouded eyes see nothing but shadows."

The word-play and implication is a bit on the nose but speaks to Sephiroth clearly toying with the fact Cloud's memories are not as they seem. Yet as expected.... Cloud doesn't get the hint or even question it. Which of course, makes sense. He shrugs it off and only focuses on fighting him. Sephiroth's line "Destiny squalls" seems to imply something... As if their fates are aligned and on a collision course.

This seems to all take place in the last chapter of the game. Aptly named, "Destiny's Crossroads."

Aerith rejects Sephiroth vehemently here. And seemingly senses there's something wrong about him. Perhaps implying she senses he's not a Cetra but is in actuality descended from Jenova. An invader and the furthest thing from a Cetra conceptually.

Also, something tells me that the thing that interrupted Hojo were the Guardians of Destiny. I have a theory that their purpose is to ensure Cloud stays in the dark regarding his past and keep him on track of Sephiroth. Calling it now.

TL;DR The implication from all this is, while the plot of the Remake may run parallel with the direction of the original VII and keep its overall themes and story beats.... Changes have been made and they're leaning into working this story differently. Especially in terms of how they lay out the plot progression. And especially in regards to using parts of the Compilation.

Personally, I'm a bit surprised but as long as they do it right and keep Cloud as the loveable and blissfully unaware puppet badass he is for this game, this should be awesome.

Aaaaaaaand this is what I won't read

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
hr69bNp.png

This Guy Are Sick is definitely holding Jenova's headless corpse, right? :hohum:

I honestly don't know what that is they're holding.

But it does appear to seemingly be a black cloaked Sephiroth Copy... Presumably it would be the sick man who uttered those infamous lines on Disc one.

On another note, Aerith's fear/apprehension of the sky carried over from CC. An interesting nod to her character and feelings of leaving Midgar.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
They are very interesting, and pretty much spell out that the game from here on out, is going to be different. Not different in that it's gonna tell a different story or "what-if" depiction of events, but it's gonna do the story beats differently and not shy away from curve balling event order or scenario layout.

There seemingly is a thematic parallel regarding destiny and how it can be changed or followed. And it sorta looks like it's reflective in the Remake totally doing its own thing in parts and leaning in on it retelling the story in a new way.

The only thing I kinda sorta have mixed feelings on is the featuring of Jenova as the final boss. I understand why they did it, and it makes perfect thematic sense in terms of punctuating Part 1 with this boss fight. However, I can't help but rack my brain over how they will top this reveal and what they intend to do with the Cargo Ship.

The Cargo Ship massacre and first reveal of Jenova was chilling and one of the most memorable scenes with Sephiroth. What are they gonna do now? I'll trust they have something entirely new and creative in mind, since they've done well so far.

I also can't help but wonder what the naming convention for Jenova will be. :monster: BIRTH, LIFE, DEATH, and SYNTHESIS was such an elegant and perfect pattern. So how will you fit a new Jenova off-shoot within this pattern? Or is this Jenova monster BIRTH, just revealer earlier? I'm curious as hell.

Part 2 is not gonna be the same as the OG. And that's kinda exciting.

So...
the clones are actually gonna look like Sephiroth?

Interesting.

Hmm, I dunno if that's the case.
He doesn't look like Sephy that much to me.

oty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ex-soldier boy
So is Red XIII playable or not after all? With these recent texts dumps

Shaun

Lv. 25 Adventurer

Rose_of_Night

Pro Adventurer
Well as I continue to futz over these BGM "MAB" files (sorry guys I was trying my best to get somewhere with it...), someone (no idea who, found these on /v/) managed to extract and convert them:

Part 1 Music Rip: (BGM)
https://www54.zippyshare.com/v/YMxTyIXN/file.html

Part 2 Music Rip: (Jukebox)
https://www113.zippyshare.com/v/cB0Lf6qT/file.html

Part 3 Music Rip: (Prelude, Squat Mini-Game Fanfare Win/Lose)
https://www53.zippyshare.com/v/T81qsMP2/file.html

FYI, the links seem to be working again for some reason

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal

That's right on the money and kudos to you for using a Stargate reference!!

So is Red XIII playable or not after all? With these recent texts dumps

Jury's still out on that. What we know is
he's introduced as a Guest and the game tells you that you can't fully control him for battle. Whether or not he fully joins after that and is controllable remains to be seen.

Suzaku

Pro Adventurer
I would like everyone to keep in mind that the game hasn't gone gold yet and we don't really know when this particular build was prepared. There's no way of knowing how much of this content is finalized versus what may actually just be dummied out or replaced entirely at this point. Everything is still subject to change.

The only thing I kinda sorta have mixed feelings on is the featuring of Jenova as the final boss. I understand why they did it, and it makes perfect thematic sense in terms of punctuating Part 1 with this boss fight. However, I can't help but rack my brain over how they will top this reveal and what they intend to do with the Cargo Ship.
I actually think it's probably the safest, most obvious choice they could make for a new Midgar final boss, since every major act break in the original game culminates with an appearance from "Sephiroth" and a battle with some of Jenova's remains.

Top Bottom