30 Days of FF Themes [Music]

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
FFIX's battle theme > all.

Here's a reminder because I don't think you guys have heard it since you're listing other songs :awesome:

This music seriously gets me pumped! xD

I listed it :(

@Boss theme, a number of my favourites have been mentioned already - Clash on the Big Bridge, J-E-N-O-V-A, Those Who Fight Further, FFIV's boss battle, FFIX's boss battle, FFVI's Decisive Battle, FFIV's Battle with the Four Fiends, etc. A couple of themes that haven't been mentioned are
and
If I had to choose an overall favourite it would probably be Clash on the Big Bridge though.

J

jamespeter1121

thanks for the info sir..

Its great to have the update. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Day late, so I'll do two. :)

1. Best normal battle theme

:awesome:

2. Best boss battle theme

I like this one because it seems so urgent which, when you think about it, boss fights are supposed to be. :)

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
It's still IX for me.

Come on. This sounds like impending doom.

Quoting cause I was gonna post the same thing for today.

(I have a feeling most of this list is going to be FFIX but damn I can't help that this soundtrack is flawless)

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
I knew I should've looked over my FF discography before making my poast. FFX's boss battle is pretty great as well. [spoiler="Challenge", from the same game, is also pretty great.]

[/spoiler] Incidentally, these are two themes that weren't composed by Uematsu; the boss theme (which is entitled "Enemy Attack") was composed by Junya Nakano and "Challenge" was composed by Masashi Hamauzu.

Clash on the Big Bridge still probably wins as best boss theme overall though.

Ghost X

Does Esper Battle count as a boss theme? That's my current favourite. Though it'll likely wear off to a point where I can't decide, like all the others =p.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Day 3: Best Main/World Map Theme

There are also plenty of good choices here. My runners up are To Zanarkand and FF7's Main, but unsurprisingly, I have to give it to:

This song has it all. The sweeping scope, triumphant sound, forlorn sound, great background. Everything. I'm not even sure how to put it, except that this will probably show up again from me on the last day :monster:

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Blue Fields from FFVIII is hands down the best world map theme. Not only is it a gorgeous FF theme, it is one of the most gorgeous songs I've ever heard period.

<3333

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
YACCBS, Legato Bluesummers, Daenaerys Targaryen, Revy, Kate Beckett, Samantha Carter, Matsumoto Rangiku

There are also plenty of good choices here. My runners up are To Zanarkand and FF7's Main, but unsurprisingly, I have to give it to:

This song has it all. The sweeping scope, triumphant sound, forlorn sound, great background.

this. so fucking good <3

Ghost X

World theme, hard to pick. They are so different to each other, and I can't exactly compare them, but like them all none the less. I'll pick the safe option: FFVII because in my opinion it triggers different feelings more so than others. More dynamic etc. Probably some bias in that pick, since I'm more familiar with it than others. Ingrained into my psyche!

Does FFX and FFXII even have a world theme? =p

@Tennyo: Just an impulsive critique here. Not sure if I like the clarinet composition in that FFVIII orchestral version you posted. Prefer the game version (if I even got my instruments correct =p).

@ForceStealer: I like the orchestral version.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Well I worded it as World Map/Main Theme. So To Zanarkand would be FFX's. XII, I'm not as sure about, it kind of used the Final Fantasy Main Theme as its main. And I would say the Archlyte Steppe would be XIII's, which is a pretty good song that I didn't think about, now that I mention it.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Nope, this is definitely the best World Theme:

Feels like I'm going on an epic adventure, and rightly so.

It gives you a feel of pushing forward quickly through a world of impressive landscapes. The Airship theme is quite similar at a much higher Tempo, giving you a sense of going even faster. Likewise with the Whale, but in the other direction, giving you a greater sense of the epicness of the surroundings.

FFIV's main theme is great partly because it is/ has a great leitmotif used elsewhere in the game.

Last edited:

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
I've also gotta give the nod to FFVI. FFIV and
are the runners-up.

It's also worth noting the world map themes in the second half of FFVI:
and

Terrafig

AKA
KaleMarsh
Final Fantasy VII's world map theme.

This might not be the best piece of music for world maps in Final Fantasy, but it's haunting overture and sad, horn-driven melody make it the most game-appropriate. It does the best job of bringing the story and the world along with it.

As a runner up, my favorite is definitely VI. Thanks for the Distant World II rendition.

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tifabelle, Nathan Drake, Locke Cole, Kain Highwind, Yamcha, Arya Stark
Well I guess I should say FFVI since that is my favorite song period. But I'm saving that for another day. So my choice would probably be The Highwind theme from FFVII. How fun every time you hopped in that airship and I felt like I was flying at hyperspeed or something XD

FFIV's is also a great one. That one takes a very, very close second place.

Marle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Ava, Spike Spiegel, Stella Nox Fleuret, Altair Ibn-La'Ahad, Princess Zelda, Alice, Raven Roth, Faye Valentine, Tifa Lockhart, Khal Drogo

This song has it all. The sweeping scope, triumphant sound, forlorn sound, great background. Everything. I'm not even sure how to put it, except that this will probably show up again from me on the last day :monster:
Said it perfectly. Terra's theme is a song I could listen to for ages and never get tired of.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
It's on the Distant Worlds II album, hito. I don't know how you hadn't heard before, you're usually on top of this stuff :P

Seeing them do that song live at the Distant Worlds concert was awesome. I didn't even know they had added it to their repertoire yet, I was thrilled.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
I've actually not listened to any of the concert albums, the most I've heard is odd videos on Youtube :monster: My CD collection could do with updating, really.

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
Day 3: Best world map theme

Very tricky one, definitely a toss up between FFIV and FFVII for me but its got to go to FFVII only because the orchestral version of it gives me goosebumps.

EDIT: I've just thought of another one that could be added to the theme, what about best FMV ending theme, there's loads of great pieces of music during the ending FMVS

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
We could, they're just really varied, there's almost nothing in common between them, but if people like the sound of it I'll add it in.

I've also been toying with the idea of a "Miscellaneous" category for songs that don't really fit in the other categories but people want to mention. Such as the Turks' Theme or Quad Mist (the Tetra Master song). What say you?

Top Bottom