30 Days of FF Themes [Music]

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
Day 5: Best Villain (not final battle) theme

This is probably the single most badass villain song I've heard in the series.

Its so ominous and evil. First time I heard the song when Golbez came on the scene, there was a "shit this guy means business" moment.

Dark and Divine

Pro Adventurer
AKA
D&D
Well, Force, Aaron and the others already covered up my favourites:

"Those Chosen by the Planet", "Kefka's theme" and Kuja's themes throughout FFIX.

Runner ups were already covered up - "Clad in Darkness" and "Sucession of Witches".

But I also like
a lot.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
I've decided that I hate this thread because as much as I want to, I will never be able to pick just one track for each day :sadpanda:

I was going to say Kuja's Theme(s), and XII's Theme of the Empire, and Succession of Witches. But then listening to the others, I'm liking those as well.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
6. Best town theme

Gotta go with
(a nice variation on Ghastla's theme),
and especially
(which, contrary to the official track listing, appears to be the correct translation of the title, although apparently either Slam or Slum can be written as スラム. But, I mean, Zozo's probably the best example of a slum in FF apart from maybe parts of Midgar). If
counts, it could be considered to be tied with Slum Shuffle.

edit: this was harder to narrow down than I thought. Added several.

edit 2: wtf how did I forget Zozo

Last edited:

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
^ Treno!!!! Love that one, how it sounds a bit like ragtime in a way. haha

But since Aaron already said it, I'll go along with a bit of a tie for these two:

Yeah I brought up a X-2 song. That game did have some weird tracks but it also had some gorgeous ones as well. To this day I can't decide which Besaid theme is best. There's a tiny part of me that almost likes the X-2 version better. :)

Also, while I'm on X, do the ruins of Zanarkand count as a town? If so, then this:

But I don't know if that really counts. :P

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Best Town.

Man...all of these are harder than I thought they would be when I thought of the categories. My honorable mention goes to:

This was the first song to interest me in listening to video game music. I've always just enjoyed listening to it, and when I first discovered an mp3 sharing program and learned you could get FF7 tracks, I was all over this.

However, there is simply no competition to

This song. Oh, this song. It addition to being positively beautiful, it seemed to fit the town so well. The heavy American Indian/tribal aesthetic is readily apparent, but I love the electric guitar in the background. The idea sounds like it would be so out of place, and it's perfect. Songs like these really speak to the renown that Uematsu has garnered.

Dammit I love this track :monster:

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tifabelle, Nathan Drake, Locke Cole, Kain Highwind, Yamcha, Arya Stark
Day 6: Best Town Theme

I can't decide on this one. I love Zozo (the one part reminds me of the Pink Panther song). Anxious Heart also good. Bhujerba good choice.

Also I like this classic:

WHICH ALSO REMINDS ME THAT I FORGOT THIS ONE FOR BEST MAP SONG:

FOR SHAME, TIFABELLE. THIS IS LIKE MY CHILDHOOD THEME SONG. *O*

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
Day 6: Best FF town theme

This is one of my favourites, also from 0:40 onwards may be quite recognisable as it was the inspiration for a certain song on the AC soundtrack, it also sounds a bit recognisable as one of the Twighlight Town themes in Kingdom Hearts:monster:

Oh and this for Mideel, nice and relaxing sounding

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
Agreed about Burmecia, Aaron. And I skipped best villian because I was on the Kuja bandwagon. :'D Anyway, besides Burmecia here are my favorite town themes:

^Had this going through my head for days

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
hnnnngh, Black Mage Village is also great. So many great town themes in the series.

Terrafig

AKA
KaleMarsh
So many great town themes. Black Mage Village, Cosmo Canyon, Slum Shuffle, and Zozo have all been mentioned. I have to add--

Balamb Garden for deceptively peaceful starting town music.

"Mark of a Traitor," North Corel (FFVII) for a strange mix of cheerfulness and oppression.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
However, there is simply no competition to

This song. Oh, this song. It addition to being positively beautiful, it seemed to fit the town so well. The heavy American Indian/tribal aesthetic is readily apparent, but I love the electric guitar in the background. The idea sounds like it would be so out of place, and it's perfect. Songs like these really speak to the renown that Uematsu has garnered.

Dammit I love this track :monster:

UGH. How did I not think of this?!

Especially since I'm obsessed with the piano version.

I also forgot to mention Fisherman's Horizon.

Love this song. And it gets even better:

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tennyo said:
UGH. How did I not think of this?!

Especially since I'm obsessed with the piano version.

The only thing with the piano version is you lose that Native American sound (the drums and the flutish sound), which makes the whole song. That's what I love about Cosmo Canyon & Red XIII's themes.

Marle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Ava, Spike Spiegel, Stella Nox Fleuret, Altair Ibn-La'Ahad, Princess Zelda, Alice, Raven Roth, Faye Valentine, Tifa Lockhart, Khal Drogo
Dunno if this counts as a town but...

I love this music so, so, so much. Also, does Temple of the Ancients count as a town? :awesome:

^_^

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Right. I missed a few days at the Con. So here go a few more.

4. Best playable character theme
Red Wings. Cecil's theme. Epic swells, dark undercurrents, a regimented beat. Suitably scores Cecil's conflicts and his rise above them.

Terra's is also quite good at representing her character and Arc.

5. Best villain (not final battle) theme

I won't cheat and Reuse the Four Fiends theme, but I can go with Golbez, Clad in the Dark.

6. Best town theme
Going out of the main numbers here, but I rather like the Town of Forgotten Time from Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon- Labyrinth of forgotten time.

And getting a jump on tomorrow...
7. Best incarnation of the Chocobo theme

13 DID have a good Chocobo theme.

So did IV.

But, somewhat unfairly, The Chocobo Subseries wins.

Of course, it was elaborating on FFIV's version. So it's doubly unfair.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
These three are the best, because they're all referencing classic works or styles of music.

Yep.

ForceStealer

Double Growth

I like all the stuff that's going on in this song (well...I could do without the klaxons). But that high keyboard part, the great bass line, and the 80s drum-pad drum roll really sells it. It's just a lot of fun, like every Chocobo theme should be.

Honorable mentions to FFXIII's and Ukulele de Chocobo.

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Day 7: Chocobo Theme

hmmm It might be a tie between Electric de Chocobo and 13's chocobo theme.

Also because it's relevent:

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Since everyone is spamming every possibly chocobo theme as being the best, I'll so this one...

I kind of like the Coccoon chocobo theme from XIII.

No really I do. It's kind of fun. :)

Top Bottom