Assassin's Creed (series)

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Ubisoft is basically ruining the thing for me with their business practices. They might as well be EA now imo. :monster:
The story I was interested in just kind of fizzled out and ended in yet another inconclusive fashion with ACIII so I don't really care anymore.

Maybe I'll get ACIV cheap someday for the ship gameplay. That seems to be the most interesting thing about it.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I'm the only person on Earth that liked Revelations, but by the end of III I had definitely had my fill. III had a lot going for it but it never mustered a moment that was better than "okay."

I loved the series approach to historical fiction and even liked the whole modern times approach to it. I really enjoyed the puzzles in II and Brotherhood. With the suggestions about historical events (Napoleon always holding his arm in his coat because he was grasping the Apple, the Space Race was to claim a Piece of Eden on the moon, etc.) But they got away from that stuff for some reason in favor of simply shoehorning Connor into every single notable story in the American Revolution even when it would have made zero sense for an ASSASSIN to have done so.

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
I wish I could convince more people to play ACIV:Black Flag. It truly is a brilliant game, between the classic gameplay elements that were overhauled and the new elements such as the ship mechanics. So many people gave up on the series before this game, which is a shame because it's easily their best work between both story and gameplay technicalities.

I don't have super high hopes for Unity and Rogue but it I'll be playing them regardless. Despite all the shit Ubisoft get for the AC series, all of the games in the series are better than more than half the supposed AAA titles out there. It's only due to similarities between each game that it gets most of its bad rap.

Lex

Administrator
I loved the series approach to historical fiction and even liked the whole modern times approach to it. I really enjoyed the puzzles in II and Brotherhood. With the suggestions about historical events (Napoleon always holding his arm in his coat because he was grasping the Apple, the Space Race was to claim a Piece of Eden on the moon, etc.) But they got away from that stuff for some reason in favor of simply shoehorning Connor into every single notable story in the American Revolution even when it would have made zero sense for an ASSASSIN to have done so.

See I liked all of this too. Actually one of the main things I found initially offputting about Revelations was the changes to the face models. They said it was better graphics or something but to me it really looked like they'd all become deformed. That and Desmond with the stabbity stab at the end of Brotherhood and absolutely no exploration or continuation of his story throughout the game other than "he has collapsed". Also Ezio was ancient and looked weird and I didn't get the setting. Gameplay wise you can't really complain because it's the same as brotherhood with a few tweaks and more features, but everything else bothered me.

I honestly liked the animus stuff/ present day story too. That's why I was so pissed with how they handled that in Revelations. I'm sorry but the whole
Lucy is a templar
thing REALLY fucked me off. No. Fucking. Build up.

I wish I could convince more people to play ACIV:Black Flag. It truly is a brilliant game, between the classic gameplay elements that were overhauled and the new elements such as the ship mechanics. So many people gave up on the series before this game, which is a shame because it's easily their best work between both story and gameplay technicalities.

When it's free on PSN I'll play it (and it will be free on PSN at some point). You say it's a good story? Can you explain this? I'm not spoiler sensitive for AC so just hit me with it. I still don't like the fact that they went further back instead of moving on.

Telcontar

Donator
Its a pirate simulator and its fun as fish.

Edward's a very very likable guy. I'm like 70% through the game and he still doesn't give a shit about the Templars vs. Assassins thing. He finds it ridiculous.... Just like everyone who has played AC.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
^ That's basically it. He's my favourite protagonist since Ezio. :monster:

Also, here's my top 5 moments of the series ahead of it releasing tomorrow (besides America, because fuck you lot ;)).

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
Edward is the most believable character in the series, and more believable than most video game characters as it is. His motivations are clean cut and simply greedy. Tel is right with him being a really likeable character.

Story wise, the game tells a tale far different from the previous titles. More than anything it's about one man's greed, his selfishness along the way and ultimately what it all costs him. You also won't find a better piece of writing or media that has such a great story focusing on the historical golden age of piracy. The story, main character and motivations can all be neatly summed up with a quote from the middle of the game.

"In a world without gold, we could have been heroes."

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
They might as well be EA now imo.

I know this was a joke but its actually a pretty decent disservice to EA considering how well they have been doing to turn the ship around this last year or two.

Origins Customer service is pretty much top tier. Especially in comparison to some of the other storefront alternatives like Steam and definitely trumps Uplays customer service (and service for that matter)

How many companies completely refund every penny spent on a game if it closes its doors?

A lot of people talked about the disaster of Sim City launch. Not many talked about how EA responded.

Origins game return policy is unmatched as well.

They also have a cool free game service. Lately Titanfall was available completely free , and the rotation just switched to BF4.

Speaking of BF4. They didn't give up on it. Of course an argument is that it shouldn't have been released at its original state but any other company would have closed the doors a few months in. They gave it a year and they fixed it. Comparatively you only need to look at Splintercell Blacklists current state to see what Ubisoft does with games that run into rough patches online. Or better yet look at the online state of any of their slightly older games (good reason to skip Rainbow 6 and The Division).

AC3 still does not work on most PC's to this very day. AC4 is extremely hit or miss on PC's as well. Unity is a pile of garbage on all platforms.The Embargo shenanigans is pretty fucked up and anti consumer too.. How about all of the lies surrounding Watch_Dogs?

Ubisoft has always been pretty awful company to be honest. At least EA does some pretty cool things to try and turn it around.

Lex

Administrator
Well EA are doing things now which is good, I imagine the many years of being near the top of the "worst company in America" list has had something to do with that. They were treating all of their employees like absolute shit too. And the charging for online mode when people bought pre-owned games was pretty bullshit, but Ubisoft jumped on that bandwagon too. Both companies have now discontinued that, but I'm not sure if that's because of a consumer backlash or not.

Ubisoft these days are undoubtedly worse and have been for a long time. They previously were just as bad as EA and their continued consumer ignorance makes them worse since EA seems to be improving. Lets not forget the missing chunk of Assassin's Creed II that's supposed to be DLC (did I fuck buy it).

Also I spent time on the Ubisoft forums for the Rayman Legends daily challenges which just require a server update every day to update the challenges, which are single player aside from the fact that you're competing with other people's previous (and future) scores for the day. There's a trophy associated with reaching level 11 which requires getting an insane amount of points in the daily challenges after 100%'ing the game. I'm awesome at that game and I had to do challenges every day for about 3 months. To put this into perspective, 2000 points are required to reach level 11. A bronze cup is 1 point (most people). A silver cup is 5 points (anyone below the top 10% of scores). A gold cup is 10 points (top 10% of scores). A Platinum cup is 50 points (top 1% worldwide). Getting a platinum is nearly impossible for most people. It took me a month to start getting them consistently, and that was only on game modes ("Get as Far as You Can" in a level). Anyway, the challenges would break every now and again and yesterday's challenges would be showing and you wouldn't be able to actually play the new challenges and it stayed like that for a week, so you were stuck. Ngl, the game mode is fun (the levels were randomised and changed every time, also they went on forever if you were good enough because after a certain point the hardest sections just repeated). There are hundreds of complaints about this on their forum for all platforms and none of them bothered to fix it. There also isn't a way to submit a report about the game because ACIV was released at the time and that was a shitstorm, they removed the game section for Rayman Legends on their report site, so there were thousands of people who were trying to get that trophy that were stuck.

Anyway to get this back on topic, if ACIV is free on PSN for PS4 I'll get it and try it out since you guys are saying it's awesome. I don't want to play it on PS3 so it has to be PS4. I'm sure it'll happen at some point.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
I assume the only department in EA that actually cared about the whole worst company in America thing was their PR group. That said, I do think they've definitely been making an active attempt to ingratiate themselves with their Origin users, and they're certainly leaving Uplay behind in the dust, regardless of how much a behemoth Steam is :monster:

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
I think winning Worst company NA 2 years running (or was it more?) gave them a good serving of Humble Pie. They have a long way to go to right some serious wrongs, but the steps they took in late 2013 and 2014 have been really good.

Ubisoft on the other hand... i dont know. I just dont trust especially given some statements made earlier today regarding Unity. I dont see them turning it around.

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
With all this awful stuff surrounding Unity, there's a good chance I won't be buying it. I'm happy keeping Black Flag as the last game in the series I've touched. It was a fantastic game and did a lot to wipe away the bad taste of previous titles.

Roll on Far Cry 4 I guess

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
The only thing I'm hearing about Unity at the moment is how terribly it runs. On PC, for example, it barely scrapes over 30fps on a GTX 980, which is a $560 graphics card, on maximum settings in 1080p. Black Flag runs about twice as fast on the same hardware.

I think it's madness to push out a sequel every year for a series as big as AC. Corners will always end up being cut.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
As much as I love the series, I do agree that putting out an entry a year is quite wrong and I honestly wouldn't mind the extra time given (a year or two) for story, engine, graphic, etc improvements. I'd probably be a bit more excited, but it seems having at least one (because Unity AND Rogue this year) annually seems a bit more of an expectation than an excitement now.

Just before I had to update my PS3, heard the intro music to Rogue just before you select to play it on the menu. Got genuine excited shivers running down my spine. <3

Lex

Administrator
I honestly think the sweet spot seems to be every two to three years for a sequel (not counting next-gen jumps for sequels as they're always going to take longer). Crash Bandicoot, Uncharted, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, most Square-Enix games etc. I know SE aren't the best example for awesome games but I've got to say SE games are the least buggy of any series I've ever played. They're always solidly built. Anyway that time period seems to be the sweet spot for not losing fans to time and being able to build a proper game.

EA's other franchises piss me off. I get that they need to keep up with the sports seasons re: games but the knock on effect is that I fucking hate every sports game ever, because all I hear from "bro-gamers" (i.e. my brother) is "did you get the new FIFA" "have you played the new FIFA" "omg lets play FIFA". No, fuck off.

This is what Ubisoft is doing with Assassin's Creed. I'm just glad I don't need to hear about those all the time.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
From what I've seen from Unity, it looks like more of the same. Kind of feels like 'been there, done that'.

With the exception of that weird DmC-like dream sequence where shit falls apart around you and you jump over floating platforms.

And that decision to let you buy in-game credits with real life money...priced from $9 to $99. O.o
What asshole thinks it reasonable to put "micro"transactions in a full price game and for more than the price of the game itself?
And who are the asshole enablers that actually purchase that? :monster:

I mean, I don't usually tell people how to spend their money but if you think buying credits for 99 bucks is a worthwhile purchase in a $70 game then you got problems, son.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I honestly think the sweet spot seems to be every two to three years for a sequel ... most Square-Enix games etc.
If you'll excuse the off-topic rant: The Final Fantasy games between IV and IX were released in the space of nine years, one game every year and a half. Since then we've had just three (offline) games in the main series in 14 years. SIGH.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
With all this awful stuff surrounding Unity, there's a good chance I won't be buying it. I'm happy keeping Black Flag as the last game in the series I've touched. It was a fantastic game and did a lot to wipe away the bad taste of previous titles.

If you do plan on getting FC4 dont do it on PC. The guys working on its port are the guys who did AC:Unity and AC3 port to PC. So it will undoubtedly be junk as well.

The only thing I'm hearing about Unity at the moment is how terribly it runs. On PC, for example, it barely scrapes over 30fps on a GTX 980, which is a $560 graphics card, on maximum settings in 1080p. Black Flag runs about twice as fast on the same hardware.

I think it's madness to push out a sequel every year for a series as big as AC. Corners will always end up being cut.

Totalbiscuit could not play Unity on Ultra and struggled on lower settings to maintain consistent FPS.

http://youtu.be/SgpzT5V5Mgs?t=1m53s

His newest pc has two 980's and arguably the best i7 variant on the market lol.
Regarding issues aside from the extremely poor optimization across platforms issue.

Several character models have holes in them , tons of clipping issues, reused animations from AC3!, crashing to desktop issues. Microtransactions in a full priced game. The embargo used to delay reviews long enough to get in sales. They completely locked away any portion of the review copy that had microtransactions from reviewers so they had no clue about it. The PR team crapping the bed with lies like saying that the game was not optimized for AMD and that the only people running into problems would be them. Despite Nvidia users having an awful time. It also doesnt make sense since the consoles are on AMD... Unity is the game that keeps on giving.

edit:

Lol. Multiple PC review outlets have had their FC4 review copy delayed beyond the embargo point. The ones who did get the review copy of FC4 are being locked out from playing it by UPlay and the embargo date for the PC version was pushed to the release date of the game.

GGWP Ubisoft.

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I'm always a little puzzled by people that hold it against Assassin's Creed for having the same gameplay who then buy Call of Duty (or any shooter series) every year. The gameplay was more or less solid with incremental improvements. The story is what kept me and what keeps me for most game series. That's what lost me on III, really.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe

I'm always a little puzzled by people that hold it against Assassin's Creed for having the same gameplay who then buy Call of Duty (or any shooter series) every year. The gameplay was more or less solid with incremental improvements. The story is what kept me and what keeps me for most game series. That's what lost me on III, really.

Maybe IW CoD games but the ones done by Treyarch were pretty decent and in the single player side of things really tried to change a few things up. The multiplayer was also pretty interesting due to the design approach of the maps and the multiplayer was varied a bit with some mechanics from the usual CoD fair.

CoD:AW is also a complete departure for the series since it plays more like Unreal Tournament more than it does CoD. Though I agree half of the CoD games are approached much the same as AC.

Hisako

&#28040;&#12360;&#12394;&#12356;&#12402;&#12373;&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
See this is the thing: people knock sports games because they're basically yearly installations with minor incremental improvements, but in many series, fans of the game will notice the differences and will tell those stranger to the franchise how these really shake up the system.

On a face value games like these look identical and lazy (and Unity may well be a case of poor development), but for many people there are formula shifts that satisfy a need for change while still sticking to a formula, and it's not fair to write those users off. It all comes down to personal taste and that in itself affects the way the game is perceived to be either rehashing or changing things up.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
One thing I don't understand is how many people are confused about the British accents in a game set in France.

Like, everyone is speaking proper French obviously. This is 'translated' into proper English. Them speaking English with an accent would mean they are *actually* speaking English/not their native language.

I always thought that was silly about the previous games although they handwaved it with the Animus botching the translation.
I mean I guess they still have them drop the occasional French words or phrases as a compromise to still have it sound 'foreign' but yeah.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
But everything is always this-is-happening-in-another-language-and-so-everyone-sounds-British. The fact that everyone had Arabic or Italian accents gave it some uniqueness. And the accents were pretty solid, by and large, and it gave it kind of an odd sort of authenticity.
I mean, everyone complained about Altair's originally American accent.

Lex

Administrator
Maybe because it was set in a time period where the American accent didn't exist. We can't really know how English people sounded back then either but it's less authentic to set something that long ago and use American accents than it is to use faux ye-olde English accents. Considering there is no ye-olde American equivalent because the country didn't exist (with spoken English) at the time.

Top Bottom