Avatar: The Last Airbender & Korra (SPOILERS)

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
Again, Mako's apologies are genuine, just because he does not use the pronoun "I" 100% of the time in the apologies, does not mean he is shirking his faults or responsibility. Sorry if they don't come across as genuine to you, but they obviously do to the other characters in the show.

Just because he is redeemable in-universe doesn't mean he's redeemable to the audience. That is what bad writing is, and it's a really poor defense of the character/writing of the show.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Just because he is redeemable in-universe doesn't mean he's redeemable to the audience. That is what bad writing is, and it's a really poor defense of the character/writing of the show.
Okay, that is fine. It is a difference in opinion/reaction. To me (and others) he was redeemed, to you (and others) he wasn't. The fandom (the online fandom, to be precise) has a divided view on the character (and the finale in general), that happened with previous series too (not trying to justify anything with that statement, just making an observation).

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Now for some lighter conversation, here are some pretty awesome fan creations:

Funny, post-season finale Korra-Tahno interactions comic:
tumblr_m65pc6z23B1qja923o1_500.png

Some pretty awesome fan songs:

This one almost made me cry (it is parody/modified disney song, made to fit Tarrlok's and Amon/Noatak's relationship...which by the way, did anyone find it funny that teenage Amon/Noatak had the same hairstyle as Korra?)
http://tinysaurus.tumblr.com/post/25748686948/this-one-goes-out-to-you-little-tarrlok-that

Iroh Man
tumblr_m68dguSios1rtktk2o1_500.jpg

Last edited:
Z

Zealkin

Well we're obviously divided on this, we all have different opinions and what not. Twas still fun posting about the episodes with you guys! We have about a year(give or take) until season 2!

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
and the show has shown and stated that Mako is a particularly talented firebender (even Amon complemented his skills).
can i mention that made me really uncomfortable? like, amon has fought a metric ton of people who have bended for years (lin for example) who messed up his officers and fought amazingly, but no, it was mako who was able to surprise him and catch him off guard and temporarily resist his bloodbending?

it just seems terribly unrealistic that an 18 year old would be able to shock amon right as he tries to take away his bending which you would have thought gang leaders had tried before and were just as good if not better. i would have brushed it off as amon being in an emotional frenzy, but then he went on to say how good he was and that just made me roll my eyes. sorry bro, but when i think of amazingly talented benders, i think of lin, tenzin, or heck, tenzin's kids.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
can i mention that made me really uncomfortable? like, amon has fought a metric ton of people who have bended for years (lin for example) who messed up his officers and fought amazingly, but no, it was mako who was able to surprise him and catch him off guard and temporarily resist his bloodbending?

it just seems terribly unrealistic that an 18 year old would be able to shock amon right as he tries to take away his bending which you would have thought gang leaders had tried before and were just as good if not better. i would have brushed it off as amon being in an emotional frenzy, but then he went on to say how good he was and that just made me roll my eyes. sorry bro, but when i think of amazingly talented benders, i think of lin, tenzin, or heck, tenzin's kids.

Um, You seem to have contradicted yourself by implication here. If it's so unrealistic that an 18 year old bender can be really amazingly talented, how's a group of preteen benders more realistic?

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
Um, You seem to have contradicted yourself by implication here. If it's so unrealistic that an 18 year old bender can be really amazingly talented, how's a group of preteen benders more realistic?
tenzin's kids are talented for their age group, imo. on the other hand, i don't think amon would compliment them because their bending is immature. mostly it's that you don't see like 6-13 year olds trained in fartbendingairbending which is why they struck me as talented.

on the other hand, i think lin and tenzin are more genuinely talented because they know their way around their element and are both strong and resilient.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
tenzin's kids are talented for their age group, imo. on the other hand, i don't think amon would compliment them because their bending is immature. mostly it's that you don't see like 6-13 year olds trained in fartbendingairbending which is why they struck me as talented.

on the other hand, i think lin and tenzin are more genuinely talented because they know their way around their element and are both strong and resilient.
But both Mako and Bolin were stated and shown (Mako a little more than Bolin) from the beginning of the season to be extremely talented benders for their age. They were the "super-rookies" of the year's pro-bending season. How is Mako being talented at 18, any more unrealistic than Azula and Aang being considered progidies (both were stated to have been better than their adult masters growing up) in A:TLA?

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
If anyone wants to check out a more mature version of ATLA with more world-building, active spirits, politics, geographically informed war, consequence for actions and a much more flawed world as a whole they should check out "Embers" by Vathara. It's over 66 chapters long and has more then 6,000 reviews. And before anyone asks, the author has not watched LOK even though there are a lot of similar themes. It'll at least give you something to do while waiting for the second season...

Last edited:
Z

Zealkin

lol and yet the love triangle still goes on :awesome:

oh fandoms are funny :' D

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi

why make a character likeable through being a good person or having decent character development when he can beat the bad guy and make everything better.

oh wait.

Top Bottom