Captain America: TFA, TWS, & Civil War

Ghost X

Sooo... was a good film for a superhero movie. Lots of humour too, which I don't recall in previous CA films. I would like to write paragraphs on my thoughts, but my thoughts aren't specific to this film, I guess, so it can wait :p.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
TeamStark, all the way.

Currently I feel this is the second best Marvel movie after the Avengers. Wanda, Vision, Falcon, War Machine, Winter Soldier all put forward their best performances in these roles yet in this movie. Black Panther and Spider-Man are great additions to the cast. Spidey in particular was very well cast, though the cgi wasn't the best (though maybe it's just even his new uniform really being that bright, featureless red and amateur looking). At least not in the iMax 3D I watched in. Captain America does what he does best, being the absolute straight arrow that everyone can play off of.

Story was good, though I'm not entirely clear where Zemo got his skills and information after he was just a family man in Sokovia prior. Thunderbolt was servicable but doesn't seem Red Hulk/Hulk main nemesis material here. The reveal was well thought out. Really felt for Tony at the end, yet it very much makes it a trilogy of the cap movies.

Worst scene was Hawkeye in the prison. You and Tony aren't the comicbook characters, Barton don't pretend you are.

Go see it.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Really enjoyed it. Good action, emotional stakes, also Spidey was fun (though lets face it, he was also completely irrelevant to the actual story).

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Not sure why I went to see this so soon, It wasn't a film I cared about a whole lot.

Thought they came down a little heavily on Cap's side, they already have the superprison built and Rhodey was friendly fire. Which I was expecting them to do.

A well executed movie, but no great impact on me, much like Cap 2. Could take or leave it.

Summary: meh.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
Thought this was Marvel's best film yet. But I was Team Cap before, during and still am. It does make me wonder how it's all going to come together for the next two Avengers films. And although I agree Spider-Man was irrelevant, he was so much fun!

Also stay behind for the films (if you don't already, haha) because there are two scenes - one mid-credits and the other after.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Some more stuff about the movie:

:ironmon:
First of all, #TeamCap :capmon:

I feel like Team Iron Man might have a point if it wasn't for the fact that they don't :monster:

Also, members of Team Iron Man go and wreck the aiport Leipzig-Halle in Germany just to stop Team Cap. Vision straight up lasers a tower just so Cap can't get to the hangar.
No checking whether there might still be someone inside, not to mention all the damage to an airport paid for by German taxpayers.

I thought the Accords were supposed to prevent this type of shit? And here we have the signers of the Accords fucking up shit in my country. >_>

#TeamGermanyWouldLikeTonyStarkToPayForTheDamages

I'm glad they didn't go for the predictable "Heroes fight until villain makes them team up again to take him down" (which is exactly what BvS did).
Zemo himself wasn't all that interesting but he did manage to escalate the situation here.

The final fight being between Cap/Bucky and Tony is really kind of brutal. For Tony it becomes an entirely emotionally fueled situation and turns the whole situation that was already strained by their disagreements over the Accords completely ugly.

Somehow the fact that the Avengers are walking out of this with strained relationships/broken friendships etc has more of an emotional impact on me than a forced character death =P

Overall I felt the characters' reasons for fighting each other felt more genuine and not as contrived as BvS.

When Cap got the text "She's gone. Died in her sleep". Ugh, gut punch. =(
RIP Agent Carter.

Also, that digital deaging they did on RDJ is so impressive. It was really good on Michael Douglas in Ant-Man as well. We have come a long way from Tron: Legacy.

Black Panther and Spidey had cool introductions but both of them were not really important to the story at all. It can be excused because they're awesome but yeah, technically not needed.

Stark getting Spidey especially felt a bit, I dunno, rushed? He just somehow knows Peter is Spidey. He just does. :wacky:
I did like him calling out aunt May as "unusually attractive" :lol:
Yeah, still feels weird going from grandmotherly Rosemary Harris to aunt May being hot now :monster:

Also, Spidey almost broke the fourth wall at one point "that thing doesn't obey the laws of physics at all!" (in regards to Cap's shield). I lol'd :P

Oh yeah, Spidey felt very obviously CG at many points imo. Some of his movements in closeups seemed weirdly stiff?
Action scenes were fine though.

Also, even with all the Avengers humor and quippy characters like Spider-Man or hilarious Giant Man shenanigans they still managed to keep the more serious Winter Soldier tone to this movie which I greatly appreciated. Phase 2 felt like every single movie outside of WS was essentially an action-comedy and I was missing a bit of drama and genuine tension.
The Russo Brothers did a good job balancing this here which makes me look forward to Infinity War even more because I really want these movies to feel like shit's getting real instead of the Joss Whedon quipfest that was Age of Ultron (don't get me wrong, I love Whedon and I enjoyed AoU but he outwhedoned himself here).

Post credits scenes: That Wakanda tease D:
Still two more years until the Black Panther movie though.

And of course "Spider-Man will return" :p
Pretty excited to see more scenes between Holland and RDJ.

Also, seeing this in Imax was pretty cool. For once a cinema that has their 3D lenses adjusted properly. Everywhere else I get various amounts of blurring and double images. Here everything was sharp as fuck (even though the 3D itself still didn't add much to the movie :P)
They also have this new laser projection system so the colors and contrast looked much better as well.

I wish I could see everything in Imax )=
I'm probably gonna travel to Berlin again just to see Infinity War 1 and 2 in this format :P
:capmon:

Last edited:

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
yDbXVbz.jpg

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer

I feel like Team Iron Man might have a point if it wasn't for the fact that they don't :monster:

See, I blame the writers for that, and it made the movie less enjoyable for me.
All the 'mistakes' were written as coming from his side, if you want your movie to be a genuine moral dilemma, write it, don't chicken out. Not that I was expecting anything else.

I'm pretty sure the airport was cleared in advance.

Animexcel

Pro Adventurer
I'm trying to avoid as much spoilers as I can after seeing a couple spidey clips from the tv spots. No more watching clips or tv spots for me. Though I was really tempted to see bootleg clips of the airport scene, but I'm like "Nope, nope, nope.. ><;;" Gonna see it in the theater in all it's glory. Already got tickets for Saturday. I wonder if I should dress up as Spidey.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato

All the 'mistakes' were written as coming from his side, if you want your movie to be a genuine moral dilemma, write it, don't chicken out. Not that I was expecting anything else.

Sokovia was Tony's fault, the incident in Africa was Wanda's (Cap's side), the rest was SHIELD/Hydra. But Tony's team outside of Black Widow wasn't in Winter Soldier and Tony DID spend a good deal of the Avengers clashing with Steve about trusting Fury. Steve was ready to take Fury at his word about all things Tesseract and then moonlighted as a SHIELD agent on his off time even after saying Fury had the same blood on his hands that Loki does.

The extent of airport destruction was crazy but Bucky was no different, that's just movies man, they Micheal Bay it up.

Vision crippling War Machine was some BS tho yeah

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
I'm trying to avoid as much spoilers as I can after seeing a couple spidey clips from the tv spots. No more watching clips or tv spots for me. Though I was really tempted to see bootleg clips of the airport scene, but I'm like "Nope, nope, nope.. ><;;" Gonna see it in the theater in all it's glory. Already got tickets for Saturday. I wonder if I should dress up as Spidey.

Do it.

Post pics.

Abortedj

The Crawling Chaos
AKA
Abortedj, The Offender, Abortedjesus, Testicules,
Re-watched the first Captain America (first Chris Evans one anyway) and I had forgotten about a scene in the movie that really made me like this version of Captain America. Where he is asked about his trying to enlist 5 times and he say "I don't want to kill anyone. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from." It was a statement that I really liked, really related to.

Looking forward to the new movie, but doubtful I will see it Friday, more likely to see in a week or two once crowds are a bit more dead.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer

Sokovia was Tony's fault, the incident in Africa was Wanda's (Cap's side), the rest was SHIELD/Hydra. But Tony's team outside of Black Widow wasn't in Winter Soldier and Tony DID spend a good deal of the Avengers clashing with Steve about trusting Fury. Steve was ready to take Fury at his word about all things Tesseract and then moonlighted as a SHIELD agent on his off time even after saying Fury had the same blood on his hands that Loki does.

The extent of airport destruction was crazy but Bucky was no different, that's just movies man, they Micheal Bay it up.

Vision crippling War Machine was some BS tho yeah

I meant in this movie. Friendly fire from his side, having the prison somehow already built, confining Wanda to barracks, the hunt for Bucky furthering the villain's plan, his reaction to the revelation at the end... all the 'wrong' moves were made by his side.

Other, more detailed thoughts...

Shaky cam excessive at the start, smoothed out as it went on, though.

'Bird costume' Haha.

Most impactful line: "And the Avengers? They went home". There's room for interpretation here, but if they really didn't help with the cleanup, that's pretty messed up.

Nice: Tony not bringing a suit to Vienna, he's really committed to this.

I didn't expect what happened in Siberia with the squad, that was nice. Think they could've had a better reason for the last conflict, though.

Felt a bit odd about that kiss with Sharon, I mean, while seventy years is long enough to move on from an ex, it's the day after Peggy's funeral, and she's her grand niece...

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
I meant in this movie. Friendly fire from his side, having the prison somehow already built, confining Wanda to barracks, the hunt for Bucky furthering the villain's plan, his reaction to the revelation at the end... all the 'wrong' moves were made by his side.

Most of those were only 'mistakes' from the Capside POV though. At the end of the movie Ironman and War Machine resolutely stand by the Sokovia Treaties, despite the prison, side lining Wanda, Bucky's relative innocence and all that. As long as they don't pull their punches in the follow up on that account, I'm fine with it.

Top Bottom