Captain America: TFA, TWS, & Civil War

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Someone had an interesting perspective on the "superhero registration act" angle on TvTropes:
Every time superhero stories mention a registration act - a rather reasonable idea when dealing with supernaturally empowered behemoths and self-appointed enforcers of justice - it's invariably for the idea to be condemned, no matter how many leaps of logic it takes. The big two superhero films coming out this year both revolve around the issue of accountability, but you can bet dollars to rubles that the conclusion will be the one enforcing the status quo - namely, that anonymous civilians are perfectly justified in operating military-grade weaponry (or inherent biological equivalents thereof), frequently in foreign states, and that anyone trying to curb such heroics is totally badwrong.
My response ended up being this:
The superhero registration act thing is more of an American reaction to the idea then anything else. Being required to inform the government about something that often the person has no control over having (as opposed to using it) is going to ping the personal freedom radar no matter who is in charge of the government.

It would probably be presented a lot differently if the superhero genre had gotten started in Europe instead of America.

The most realistic take on this that I've seen would be the web-novel Curveball where while there isn't an official registration act per say, "metahumans" are only officially recognized as superheros (with all the perks involved with that term) if they're open to government oversight. This has lead to superheros forming their own micro-nations, and "vigilantes" getting warrants for their arrests for major property damage even while violent crime rate plummet in the areas their working in.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
^Steve's role/response in that reminds me of some of the WWII veterans my grandparents knew (go figure). They'd already been though one war and in spite of all the hardship they went though, thought the outcome was worth it.

I think sometimes in the MCU it's hard to remember that Captain America has already fought in a long continuous war while the other Avengers really haven't. They're starting to realize that the current (alien) conflict is shaping up into one and not all of them are sure that they can handle what that means for them and the world. For all that Captain America has trouble fitting in with modern society/culture, he's been though a large-scale war already; it would be stupid for the other Avengers to write off what he thinks even if it happened a long time ago for them.

It's also interesting contrasting Steve's vs Tony's childhoods. Tony has always been good at what he does; the type of frustrations he experiences are the frustrations that come with knowing you can do something if you can only figure out how to do it. And then later he has the frustrations of watching his creations blow up in his face because other people didn't use them correctly (in his opinion). His solution to all that is to take the creation that failed out of the equation all together. I kinda get the feeling from the trailers that that's how he's viewing the Avengers now; the Avenger experiment failed and now it's time to try something different.

Steve meanwhile was never good at what he wanted to be. And what he wanted to be was someone who could defend people weaker then himself. What he has gotten good at is empathizing with people so he can know how to defend them better. His frustrations come from not being able to do what he knows will help fix a problem. He never looses the motivation to help people once he's able to do something about it either. From what we've seen, I think he's seeing the Avengers as people who need protection from the very people they're helping keep alive. Whether or not he's capable of doing that isn't something that Steve cares about (so long as he's actually trying) and I don't think Tony gets that.

It also looks like Steve's realizing that none of the Avengers will be able to go back to "normal life". It's been reiterated in several trailers that Bucky isn't involving himself in the typical superhero behavior (as far as the world is concerned, he disappeared pre-Ultron mess), but the government is still going after him anyway. It doesn't take a huge leap of logic to think that the government would go after the rest of the Avengers once they're "done" with their superhero lives, if they didn't like what they'd done while they were superheros. Which would make Tony's question of "Aren't we we fighting to end the fighting and go home?" kinda moot. What's the point in trying to end the fighting if people are going to come after you regardless of if you're fighting now or not?

The other thing Tony is glossing over is that the Avengers aren't the ones who started or are continuing the extra-terrestrial/dimensional conflicts (Loki and ultimately Thanos did). The aliens are coming no matter what the Avengers do and it sounds like Tony's not thinking about what would/could happen if the Avenger's hadn't been there in the first place...

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
International Trailer

You know, other than adding subtitles for non-English speakers, what is even the point of regular vs international trailers anymore?

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
You know, other than adding subtitles for non-English speakers, what is even the point of regular vs international trailers anymore?

Typically they attempt to cater a little differently to regional audiences with the trailer formatting, since films that succeed domestically and internationally frequently do so for different reasons.

X :neo:

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Well, you see it if you have an interest in the thing. Generally speaking, they're still used to catch moviegoers' interests in X place in the world. :awesomonster:

X :neo:

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Check out the difference between the American trailers for Big Hero 6 and the Japanese trailer. The American trailers make Big Hero 6 seem like an action movie, while the Japanese trailer makes it seem like a drama.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Well, you see it if you have an interest in the thing. Generally speaking, they're still used to catch moviegoers' interests in X place in the world. :awesomonster:

Yeah I suppose that did think of that, that the casual viewers won't go looking for this.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Gonna see this in three weeks. I'll be in Berlin at that time so I bought an IMAX ticket for that occasion :excited:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Oh, those were nice, yes. <3

I also heard there was a clip that had more Spider-Man at the MTV VMA's. Is this true?

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Just look at the ease with which he blocks Bucky's punch and bends his arm away.

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-26%20at%207.41.27%20PM_zps13thuqhm.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-26%20at%207.43.22%20PM_zpstmyau05n.png

And then Bucky's all like, "Holy shit..."

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-26%20at%207.42.46%20PM_zps16lscxqw.png

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Come on you guys, start posting before I get ban-hammered for posting too many times in a row. :awesomonster:

Top Bottom