• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

[Case of Shinra Finished] Any news on the new OTWTAS entries?

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
Ha, good one!! From jail to jail, and...

And the writting's mostly fine, with me. It keeps it simple, while developing the story enough.

Oh, maybe he's writting the script for some fan to actually make the videogame! :monster:

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Something I read on Case of Shinra concerns me.

Rufus nodded and turned his back towards Kilmister. Just as he was about to leave the room, Kilmister said in his usual tone, "Long ago Professor Hojo rejected a project I proposed. Even now I am itching to give it a try. I think we might be able to create something beyond Sephiroth."

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Holy shit, that was awesome. Nojima truly wrote one of the best stories of his career with Case of Shin-Ra, and XComp did a fantastic job with this translation. I love him for this.

These last 24 pages of the story were the best yet -- and that's saying something! Truly a great story with wonderful characterization. I'm genuinely impressed and delighted.

I like that -- despite redeeming him and having him grow a genuine concern for others and an honest desire to heal the planet -- Nojima wrote Rufus with the personality traits that have always made him Rufus. It's really not that surprising that he'd want to stay in charge as much as possible, despite his change of heart.

I know a lot of people are going to read that to mean that he's not really reformed, but I think he is. When he was defying Kadaj in AC/C and speaking of recognizing the authority of the Lifestream, he had no one to put on a show for there.

As well, the fact that he funds Reeve's operation -- despite Reeve being anti-Shin-Ra -- in secret rather than trying to win public favor by openly declaring what he's been doing would suggest an honest concern for the planet.

There's also one of his last lines in Case of Shin-Ra: "It means to heal the world."

Well, they need some sort of premise for a sequel, right?

Well, they already have that in Genesis.

Honestly, I don't think that Kilmister's idea of creating "something beyond Sephiroth" will play a role in whatever sequel is forthcoming. In fact, I think that very idea is what led Rufus to have the guy killed.

Rufus doesn't even ask him what his idea was, but -- given how Kilmister keeps asking about JENOVA, and given that he originally proposed the idea to Hojo, who had possession of JENOVA for all experimental purposes -- it obviously had something to do with the Crisis from the Sky. Given Rufus' position on Sephiroth and JENOVA in Advent Children, there was no way he was going to have the Turks search out the creature's remains while Kilmister was still alive.

Also, the fact that Rufus refers to Kilmister as a "mad scientist" when he tells the Turks to find the alien's remains and make sure no one else gets their hands on them suggests to me that Rufus made a connection between the doctor's idea and Sephiroth's "mother" -- and, thus, had him killed before he could try it.

I don't think Rufus would like the idea of creating another Sephiroth. I really, really don't.

Neutron Ronnie

From The Front of Armament
AKA
Powerslave
Rufus didn't have him killed. I thought Judd did it behind his back.

But Judd
got the gun from Rufus, didn't he? And Rufus didn't seem surprised... Bit convenient, for it to happen right after he mentioned the Jenova plan... I thought maybe Rufus had given Judd the gun, and reminded him of Pamela, you know, sort of like a little nudge or something.

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
But Judd
got the gun from Rufus, didn't he? And Rufus didn't seem surprised... Bit convenient, for it to happen right after he mentioned the Jenova plan... I thought maybe Rufus had given Judd the gun, and reminded him of Pamela, you know, sort of like a little nudge or something.

You are right, and
when questioned about it, Judd said: [FONT=&quot]"I can't tell you - I wasn't told to keep quiet about it but the person who gave me it had saved my life once." [/FONT]

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Very very good story. As Xcomp says, how awesome would it be to see all of the On the Way to a Smile series get "the Advent Children treatment?" Though, mostly, I'd settle for the book getting more widespread attention/accessibility. All of them really improve the experience of Advent Children in so many ways.

I wonder if we'll ever get these in English. We got the first three.

Anyway, Tres,
call me stubborn, but I'm still not convinced Rufus is about to don a halo. The experience certainly changed him, I'm sure, but all his scheming is still readily apparent. From making sure he wasn't the one to kill Kilmister to trying to trick Cloud into becoming the posterboy of the 'new Shinra' in Advent Children.

Yes he opposed Kadaj, and splendidly so, but why wouldn't he? He doesn't need the planet destroyed. I do agree that Kilmister's plans have nothing to do with any sequels, and it was why Rufus had him killed.

As for funding the WRO, I don't think he remained anonymous out of nobility, but that Reeve wouldn't actually accept money from Rufus for fear that he would use it as reasoning to gain sympathies. I think he's backing it so that WRO can do all the heavy-lifting in reorganizing the world and revealing himself as its benefactor at an opportune moment. I could even see him going so far as to assassinate Reeve.

But we'll see soon I guess, I can't wait to see how they conclude the compilation.

Glaurung

AKA
Mama Dragon
I think that
he wanted to save the Planet because that implied to save his own ass. He realized that if the World was destroyed, even the souls in the Lifestream would banish into nothingness.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
The reason I brought up his defiance of Kadaj is that he seemed to be recognizing the authority of the planet and Lifestream. As though it was something he would defer to out of principle and it would lead to victory for whoever did so out of principle.

I guess it all really boils down to how much you trust Reeve's judgment. He says he thinks his mysterious benefactor is someone who feels they owe a debt to the planet. Though I guess he could still be a scheming dick who feels he owes a debt to the planet. XD

ForceStealer said:
But we'll see soon I guess, I can't wait to see how they conclude the compilation.

Hear, hear. :monster:

Loxetta

Pro Adventurer
Oh for sure.
Self preservation definitely had a hand in what Rufus did. It's not unlikely that he has a genuine regard for the rest of the planet, either. But his ways of going about helping the planet are limited by his experience as a 'bad guy'.

Glaurung

AKA
Mama Dragon
Oh for sure.
Self preservation definitely had a hand in what Rufus did. It's not unlikely that he has a genuine regard for the rest of the planet, either. But his ways of going about helping the planet are limited by his experience as a 'bad guy'.

I wouldn't see it as a limit.
He just has another perspective that the "goody two shoes" don't have. He can predict how an evil mind works because he himself can be quite evil. :monster:

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
I think Rufus has the potential to be a genuinely good person. Sure, he's still Rufus, but come on guys, character development. Don't fall into the trap of writing aimed for children where NOBODY EVER CHANGES EVER NOPE IT DOESN'T HAPPEN NO SIR

Honestly, I don't think that Kilmister's idea of creating "something beyond Sephiroth" will play a role in whatever sequel is forthcoming. In fact, I think that very idea is what led Rufus to have the guy killed.

It just seems a bit weird from a narrative point of view to even suggest the possibility of creating someone stronger than Sephiroth and going WHOOPS WE'LL NEVER MENTION IT AGAIN, you know? I'm not saying its definitively proof of anything, but still, weird. The story could have easily been exactly the same with that bit left out, so the 'something' in me is telling me it does have some purpose to it.

Loxetta

Pro Adventurer
Dunno about anyone else, but I didn't mean to imply that Rufus couldn't be a genuinely good person or couldn't change. Yea, character development and stuff is fine, but he's not going to flip to the other side and be just like the rest overnight. It takes time for a switch like that to really sink in, and still, it's a choice on how to go about solving a problem. And Rufus even says it himself -- "Our methods maybe a bit reckless but- We are Shinra Company. It won't surprise anyone."

And no, the stronger being than Sephiroth thing was needed in the story. Nojima needed to put something in about Kilmister that would jarr Rufus into thinking "Hoo-kay, time to get rid of this chucklefuck before something serious happens" to explain why we don't hear anything about him in the rest of the Compilation. :monster:

Top Bottom