Coming to you from 1997... Duke Nukem Forever

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
It's not an opinion, it's a fact.

Ignore all of the bullshit humor, and juvenile content, and it's still not a good game. It's mediocre at best.

For Duke Nukem 3D, the averaged reviews of the PC Version sits at a rating between 80-90% and the XBLA one at 80%, which is a fact, unlike your opinion of the game. I wasn't aware that qualified as "mediocre at best". I understand it's not your cup o' tea, but despite what you say, there's still a lot of people who enjoyed it, and that's a fact.

X :neo:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
For Duke Nukem 3D, the averaged reviews of the PC Version sits at a rating between 80-90% and the XBLA one at 80%, which is a fact, unlike your opinion of the game. I wasn't aware that qualified as "mediocre at best". I understand it's not your cup o' tea, but despite what you say, there's still a lot of people who enjoyed it, and that's a fact.

I'm sorry, but a game that doesn't register on the radar of more than a cult following isn't something that I would consider a "great" game. A lot of reviews praised the game for its humorous writing and overall juvenile approach to the game.

The mechanics and systems of the game were nothing special and on a whole it's pretty forgettable. The fact that people enjoy something is no barometer of it's quality at all. People enjoyed Dirge of Cerberus but the game is widely panned and on an objective level it's a badly designed game.

A game that's just passable that pleases a few people for humor and not being an excellent shooting game, isn't something that can be considered great(especially by today's standards), and it shouldn't be. Ask anyone what a great FPS game is, they won't say Duke Nukem is one of them. Is that a measure of the game's quality?

It's a fact Duke Nukem is not held as a standard of FPS game design, and it isn't lauded among the best. That makes it mediocre.

But lol, X getting some bite to em? This is new.

Last edited:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
I'm sorry, but a game that doesn't register on the radar of more than a cult following isn't something that I would consider a "great" game. A lot of reviews praised the game for its humorous writing and overall juvenile approach to the game.

The mechanics and systems of the game were nothing special and on a whole it's pretty forgettable. The fact that people enjoy something is no barometer of it's quality at all. People enjoyed Dirge of Cerberus but the game is widely panned and on an objective level it's a badly designed game.

A game that's just passable that pleases a few people for humor and not being an excellent shooting game, isn't something that can be considered great(especially by today's standards), and it shouldn't be. Ask anyone what a great FPS game is, they won't say Duke Nukem is one of them. Is that a measure of the game's quality?

It's a fact Duke Nukem is not held as a standard of FPS game design, and it isn't lauded among the best. That makes it mediocre.

Oh, I'm not at all arguing that it's a "great" game. It's definitely a "good" game thoughthough. I'm just saying it's above "mediocre". The humor- juvenile or not, is part of what makes the experience enjoyable and memorable. It would've been mediocre if it was another generic story every game, but its remembered BECAUSE it was over the top about everything and it was unique and fun and doesn't feel the need to take itself seriously. Dirge of Cerberus WAS serious and it didn't have great gameplay and if it wasn't part of the Compilation, no one would've heard of it.

Duke Nukem IS juvenile but it's enjoyable because it's fully committed to its image and that's a draw to the audience. That's why I agreed with Inter that it'll probably never live up to the legend of being a great game that other games will build themselves after, but I have high hopes for it being a good, fun game rather than just another meh FPS.

But lol, X getting some bite to em? This is new.

Hahaha. I suppose so. I also had a lot of free time today and was in the mood. I'm mostly just quiet so you don't often see my debate-type comments applied to something that's not theorycrafting. :monster:

(Also- it was rather taxing writing this from my phone, because my computer's being a cunt again)

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
But beyond all of the humor and over the top crap, it's not much more than a mediocre shooter.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
But beyond all of the humor and over the top crap, it's not much more than a mediocre shooter.

Completely discounting the writing and content that make the game memorable, the bare game mechanics were fairly standard of an FPS of that age.

Hi, my name is Dacon, and I LOVE to get the last word in. :awesome:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Sorry for being right.

What makes a game a game is the gameplay. Not some bad sense of humor, if the gameplay is nothing special, then what the hell is it besides mediocre?

Eat a bag of monkey dicks force, grown folks are talking.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Average gameplay (not groundbreaking but not bad) is only half a game. A bla story makes the game mediocre. The same game with a boring story or a great story will have vastly different ratings because- that's a PART of the game. It's not JUST gameplay or JUST story, it's both. Duke Nukem is an enjoyable game because it's unique, funny, and memorable. The gameplay needs to work as an appropriate medium for the experience. You wouldn't judge a Final Fantasy game ONLY on gameplay, so whether it's your humor or not, a chunk of Duke Nukem's appeal is in his overly the top character and it's WHY people remember it. Even something with average gameplay can be fun because of its writing.

And that's why it's a GOOD game, not a MEDIOCRE game, like I said before.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Average gameplay (not groundbreaking but not bad) is only half a game. A bla story makes the game mediocre. The same game with a boring story or a great story will have vastly different ratings because- that's a PART of the game. It's not JUST gameplay or JUST story, it's both. Duke Nukem is an enjoyable game because it's unique, funny, and memorable. The gameplay needs to work as an appropriate medium for the experience. You wouldn't judge a Final Fantasy game ONLY on gameplay, so whether it's your humor or not, a chunk of Duke Nukem's appeal is in his overly the top character and it's WHY people remember it. Even something with average gameplay can be fun because of its writing.

And that's why it's a GOOD game, not a MEDIOCRE game, like I said before.

There are fantastic games with no story at all. Gameplay is what makes a video game, a videogame. Story is irrelevant in the face of making a game fun to play. ESPECIALLY in a first person shooter. Also, lol story in a Duke Nukem game, there's barely ANY.

Not everyone is going to appreciate some shitty juvenile attempt at wit, but EVERYONE can appreciate a well designed game that is fun to play.

Last edited:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Yes, but Duke Nukem IS fun. The fact that it's not ground breaking doesn't make it unplayable or boring.

Not liking a Final Fantasy or other RPG's story wouldn't make it a "mediocre" game. It just means You didn't get into it.
:monster:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Yes, but Duke Nukem IS fun. The fact that it's not ground breaking doesn't make it unplayable or boring.

No. The unappealing personality of the game has nothing to do with whether or not it's fun to play, as in move around the environments and shoot things, which is nothing special makes it mediocre.

Not liking a Final Fantasy or other RPG's story wouldn't make it a "mediocre" game. It just means You didn't get into it.
:monster:
Why do you keep making these failed comparisons to RPGs? This is a shooter. Even then, most Final Fantasy games have good gameplay that tries something new and introduces new mechanics by and large. FFXII largely had a boring slow moving plot until the twilight hours of the game, but guess what? It had fuck awesome gameplay that caused me to play it for over 70 hours, completely ignoring the story.

Bayonetta has a story, but who cares? No one gives a shit about it. I hate the over sexualized bullshit main character and the story is terribad, but guess what? The gameplay is fucking AMAZING with some of the best boss battles there are.

A lot of people bought MW2 and didn't even play the campaign, they jumped right into multiplayer and logged in thousands of hours because it was fun. Same with Halo 3.

Story/Personality means nothing in face of gameplay. If a game doesn't have great gameplay, who is going to give a shit about the story past a small minority?

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
Who cares? Nearly everyone was playing DOOM or Quake at the time anyway.

Sheva Alomar

I'm Alive and on Fire
AKA
Adri, Sir Integra, Fiona, Sango
Just pointing out that it is also quite ironic that THIS was picked as the best Yahtzee video.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Gemaplay footage of the stuff that's been talked about for those who are interested.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Sorry for being right.

What makes a game a game is the gameplay. Not some bad sense of humor, if the gameplay is nothing special, then what the hell is it besides mediocre?

Eat a bag of monkey dicks force, grown folks are talking.

Well...

Well...to be totally fair, for example, Xenogears is lauded (and I agree, one of my favorite RPGs...ever, if not my favorite) as one of the best RPGs ever to be created, but it's gameplay was...alright. A lot of neat concepts (SUPER ROBOT FIGHTING), but a lot of the gameplay mechanics were either unbalanced, unfinished, or not all there.

The gameplay is alright, but the story more than makes up for it; and that's why its so critically acclaimed, and when you get down to it, a great and fun game.

I don't really have an opinion on either side of the present argument, but I wanted to throw that out there. But since Xenogears is an RPG, it may not really apply to what you're saying as much as a FPS would.

Last edited:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Well...

The gameplay is alright, but the story more than makes up for it; and that's why its so critically acclaimed, and when you get down to it, a great and fun game.

Exactly, it's a fun game with an assload of content and features with a great story.

Next time bring your argument to the table when it still exists. Not four weeks later.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Exactly, it's a fun game with an assload of content and features with a great story.

The gameplay (which is the word you have been using) is only alright, though.

Next time bring your argument to the table when it still exists. Not four weeks later.

It's always good to be fashionably late.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
les gasm

The last part of the demo vid was glorious. :monster:

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
YACCBS, Legato Bluesummers, Daenaerys Targaryen, Revy, Kate Beckett, Samantha Carter, Matsumoto Rangiku

Hell, I'd still hit it.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
The thing is back in the day, Duke Nukem was pretty edgy with its violence and semi naked women etc etc, I just hope he can compete now that all games have that as standard. (Including Hello Kitty Island Adventures)

I'll believe it when I can actually go into a shop and buy it. Right now I feel like theres more of a chance of Jesus coming back :monster:

Top Bottom