• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Cyberpunk 2077

Dee

sweet dee
AKA
Bun, Academic
So the trend now is to get prematurely excited and overly hyped, announce a release date, then change it within a few months of the first announced date. Got it. In any case, I'm much more torn up about the FFVIIR delay, even if it's only 5 weeks. As it was mentioned above, I might get Cyberpunk with PS5 instead. That way, maybe I'll have Cyberpunk/AC Viking (if that gets a holiday release) to play later in the year.

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
Rated Mature by the ESRB.

ESRB Summary:

This is a first-person RPG/shooter in which players assume the role of a mercenary named V trying to make their way through the open-world of Night City.

Players can explore futuristic locations, interact with citizens, perform missions, and engage in combat to complete various objectives within a storyline. Characters use handguns, machine guns, rifles, and explosives during frenetic firefights with humans and cybernetically enhanced enemies; players can also use melee weapons (e.g., wrist-mounted blades, enhanced limbs) to stab enemies and, in some cases, dismember them. Combat is frenetic, with frequent gunfire, cries of pain, explosions, and blood-splatter effects.

Some locations depict mutilated corpses with open chest cavities and/or exposed organs/entrails. During one quest, players assist a character by hammering nails through his hands and feet; screaming sounds and blood effects accompany the scene.

The game contains nudity and sexual material: Players can select a gender and customize their character; customization can include depictions of breasts, buttocks, and genitalia, as well as various sizes and combinations of genitals. Players can encounter events where they have the option to engage in sexual activities with other main characters or prostitutes—these brief sex scenes (from a first-person perspective) depict partially nude characters moaning suggestively while moving through various positions. Some scenes contain brief depictions of thrusting motions; other scenes depict a character's head moving towards a partner's crotch.

The game contains frequent depictions and references to fictional drugs, including characters taking puffs/hits from a state-altering inhaler/stimulant; an animated billboard ad depicts a man snorting speed.

Some sequences allow the player to drink alcoholic beverages repeatedly until the screen distorts; player's character can also drive cars while drunk. The words “f**k” and "c*nt" appear in the dialogue.

Last edited:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
All games made now are built with the PS5 in mind, just like PS 4 vs PS 4 Pro; it won't be a revolution but an evolution, and they'll be able to make the same games run on PS4, PS4 Pro and PS5, they just need to tweak the graphics settings and resolution a bit for each console.

Reactions: Wol

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy

Also the game will get an anime:

Studio: Studio Trigger
Platform: Netflix
Release: 2022
Director: Hiroyuki Imaishi
Chracter design: Yoh Yoshinari & Yuto Kaneko

wdhVPGE.jpg

AKXPJPn.jpg

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Are we, as Consumers, so vile that we must torture hard working artists for no reason?

Just fucking delay it. We’ll be okay. The tweetors will get over it. The tumblies will settle. The ratings won’t be inversed. Just... delay ffs
This is why delays don’t happen; to be clear neither the tweeter or I am defending crunch, just explaining why delays don’t occur especially this close to release (or sometimes like with Naughty Dog don’t even necessarily help with crunch).

Last edited:

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Hmm... good point. I’ve definitely been in plays that were not ready by festival opening, and I suppose that frantic last week or so is a kind of crunch... but the gaming industry crunch literally kills ppl so I’m also with you when you say there’s no defense.

Edit: I would like to see some sort of industry standard for delaying the “day 1 patch,” making it the norm that the scheduled release is an Alpha build, to be replaced when the developers reach their intended iteration. Launch parties could be like celebrating a successful rocket launch, with the understanding that until the mission safely returns (or the game is complete) the wait isn’t fully over. Much like how I generally wait until the GotY Edition or similar to buy a game with all the DLC.

But... that would require us to collectively overhaul game review etiquette, risk losing hype and sales as players trickle in and out through the Launch build and may never touch the complete game... fuck, there’s gotta be some solution!

Last edited:

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I'm not sure about video games so much, but in the film/TV sphere crunch is perpetuated from the bottom as much as it is from the top. A lot of senior/mid-level staff consider it a sort of hazing thing to test of someone "has what it takes" to be in the industry. Not to mention this attitude from lower/middle management that if your demands are too high/productivity too low, there's always new blood they can hire right of school to do your job for cheaper. Those newbies come in with a desire to prove themselves. Crunch hours become a sort of badge of honour. It's an awful cycle of exploitation, but it's also a culture.

There's also a lot of trepidation around unionizing because of this idea that a lot of these sorts of jobs can be outsourced to India/Korea/Philippines. Not sure if that really applies to game studios per se, but I'm sure there's some elements of that somewhere down the pipeline.

It sucks, and while there's an concerted effort to get everyone on the same page with this kind of stuff... it's also difficult to recognize which peers are trustworthy when it comes to that kind of thing :/

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I'm not sure about video games so much, but in the film/TV sphere crunch is perpetuated from the bottom as much as it is from the top. A lot of senior/mid-level staff consider it a sort of hazing thing to test of someone "has what it takes" to be in the industry. Not to mention this attitude from lower/middle management that if your demands are too high/productivity too low, there's always new blood they can hire right of school to do your job for cheaper. Those newbies come in with a desire to prove themselves. Crunch hours become a sort of badge of honour. It's an awful cycle of exploitation, but it's also a culture.

Oh definitely; there was a lot of dismissive backlash to the objections to crunch. I suspect it comes from people who are not in the industry and who do not have experience with a death march, or people who are both young and single, or the odd "go-getter" who actually enjoys working 14 hour days because being alone with their thoughts is too much to bear.

But there are so many people who are so eager to get into the gaming industry that they don't object too much to crunch. And the game companies know it; they have a massive luxury position in that if they have people who object to working overtime, they can fire them and pick ANY of the dozen other applicants to replace them.

It's one example why the free market can be problematic, not enough worker protection. I mean with some base legislation you can make it mandatory to pay or compensate people for the overtime they do. If a 60 hour work week is necessary on occasion, they should be required to pay for the 60 hours, not whatever is in the contract. And anything over 40 hours - which is nowadays considered a reasonable work week, 8 hours / day for 5 days / week - should be paid as overtime, 150% or thereabouts.

That'll hurt the people that pay for development in the wallet, and it'll make them plan better.

I mean I get that at some point they need a release date so they can do all the marketing shit - and fuck me, there has been A LOT of marketing for Cyberpunk, it's insane - but they should not do a release date until the game is in the final stages of development - QA and final polish.

Top Bottom