Cyberpunk 2077

I am also sadistically pleased because the last year I've been in close proximity to two people who would constantly banter about how this would be the greatest game ever made... without a hint of irony.
I have similar feelings on the matter. The hype machine for this game has annoyed me ever since the title was announced. Long before any gameplay was shown many people assumed that by virtue of it being a CDPR project that Cyberpunk 2077 was guaranteed to at least be the game of the year. This zealous conviction from CDPR fans reminded me of the unreasonable hype for any number of AAA games that, in the end, didn't live up to expectation. After years of seeing the same CDPR appraisals written over and over, I almost believed it myself for a moment that the hype bubble wouldn't burst.

The bubble did burst however and now I'm having trouble containing my smug vindication. These are of course not feelings that I should indulge in. The game in both its development and marketing is clearly yet another sad example of the things wrong with the industry.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
The bubble did burst however and now I'm having trouble containing my smug vindication. These are of course not feelings that I should indulge in. The game in both its development and marketing is clearly yet another sad example of the things wrong with the industry.

DM6-PzEXkAEysAt.jpg

Erotic Materia

[CONFUSED SCREAMING]
I'm actually shocked by how much of a mess this is.

I am also sadistically pleased because the last year I've been in close proximity to two people who would constantly banter about how this would be the greatest game ever made... without a hint of irony.

You can't even toggle the width, depth, or flappiness of your puss. What is even the point of cybernetic augmentation if I cant have cartoonishly ridiculous genitals!? Trash game.
Heh. "Flappiness".
tenor.gif

I have similar feelings on the matter. The hype machine for this game has annoyed me ever since the title was announced. Long before any gameplay was shown many people assumed that by virtue of it being a CDPR project that Cyberpunk 2077 was guaranteed to at least be the game of the year. This zealous conviction from CDPR fans reminded me of the unreasonable hype for any number of AAA games that, in the end, didn't live up to expectation. After years of seeing the same CDPR appraisals written over and over, I almost believed it myself for a moment that the hype bubble wouldn't burst.

While CP was more of a backburner simmer for me, I was looking forward to it. My disappointment is slightly lessened only by virtue of my less-than-overwhelming eagerness to play it. That being said, I'm still gonna see if Best Buy will let me return it (wish me luck, they're the fucking worst).

All of this reminds me of the hype leading up to Destiny, for which I was simping hard. Then they chopped it up, repackaged parts of the base game as paid DLC, butchered the story, etc., etc. It was hot garbage, and I was pissed for months. The gameplay itself was good, but there was no plot. It simply didn't exist. I should have learned my lesson about game studios promising the world.

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
It was remarkable how much blind faith was given to CDPR based on one good mainstream game.

I kept my eye on it, but the edginess always annoyed me some. If it were a little more "cyber" and less "punk" I think I would have been more excited about it :monster: Generally speaking I'm more about sci-fi than dystopias anyway.

Erotic Materia

[CONFUSED SCREAMING]
I've seen people circlejerk Witcherino tres like it was God's gift to man for a while now
In fairness to CDPR, Witcher III was really fucking good. Like, "I didn't leave my room for a month" good.

Thinking about Destiny stoked the embers of my nerd rage, and I had to go looking. This video is perfect for describing just exactly how badly Bungie and Activision fucked away what should have been a revolutionary series. (You can start at the time stamp for the really juicy bits, or start at the beginning, it's a pretty good video overall).

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
And in CDPR fairness, C2077 is a very good game by critics and a big step up from Witcher 3 in the RPG department. It would be a different thing if they were panned for making an outright bad game, which they didn't, they just made a great one that's currently unplayable on last-gen consoles.

Erotic Materia

[CONFUSED SCREAMING]
And in CDPR fairness, C2077 is a very good game by critics and a big step up from Witcher 3 in the RPG department. It would be a different thing if they were panned for making an outright bad game, which they didn't, they just made a great one that's currently unplayable on last-gen consoles.
I reaaaaally disagree.

The storyline (as far as I've gotten into it before giving up on the game) is good, but nothing to write home about. And the issues with the game aren't solely due to bugs. The entire nature of the game as they intended is far, far removed from how they were billing it. It's not an RPG, it's an action-adventure game on rails, as someone else said. Witcher was far and away a superior game in many ways, but especially in the RPG department.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
It was remarkable how much blind faith was given to CDPR based on one good mainstream game.

I kept my eye on it, but the edginess always annoyed me some. If it were a little more "cyber" and less "punk" I think I would have been more excited about it :monster: Generally speaking I'm more about sci-fi than dystopias anyway.
Arguably the poor treatment of the devs made it fall short of even the “punk” aspect, according to the devs themselves.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
You know your game is doing... badly... when people are comparing it to Fallout 76... to point out that for all the bugs and glitches and problems with Fallout 76, it still... worked when it came to basic functionality like working save files...

It shouldn't take this long to develop a game that makes a Bethesda game launch look more competent. At least when it comes to the game actually functioning, not payment methods.

Another fun "what the hell was the development of this game like?" moment

Last edited:

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
I've been playing my bug-riddled, low quality PS4 version of Cyberpunk and all things considered I'm having fun. Mostly, I'm enjoying the writing, the atmosphere, and how some of the quest are structured - when they work. But yeah, very far from GOTY material. Personally, I'm still ok with this game because I tend to put a damper on my expectations.
A few things that come to mind - probably repeating some of the impressions mentioned here:
- The game heavily suffers from over-hype backlash. A lot of fans started to place unreasonable expectations on what this game should be like, and CDPR promoted the game as though it would satisfy all these expectations. It really reminded me what had happen with the release of Watchdogs 1.
- They must have decided to go ahead with the release because they didn't want to miss the Xmas window. But yeah, the game is clearly unfinished, and completely unoptimized for PS4. It looks like a 'PS3 game remastered for your PS4'. On the technical side, Watchdogs 1 is better than this, and that game was released ... 6 years ago. Ouch. Personally it reminded me of the release of FF XV, but while FFXV was incomplete at launch, at least it was rather bug-free.
- How many times did I hear "I don't need good graphics, just give me a good story!" for a rpg? Personally, I've always found this argument absurd, because it's often the quality of the visuals that contributes to your immersion in the world where the rpg takes place. This game is a very good example of it: I do feel like I'm missing out on a lot of the atmosphere of this game, because the graphics quality is lacking.

I'd still give the game a 8/10. But it's a far cry from 'the second coming of the rpg-messiah to rule them all' that a lot of folks seem to have expected.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
I've been playing my bug-riddled, low quality PS4 version of Cyberpunk and all things considered I'm having fun. Mostly, I'm enjoying the writing, the atmosphere, and how some of the quest are structured - when they work. But yeah, very far from GOTY material. Personally, I'm still ok with this game because I tend to put a damper on my expectations.
A few things that come to mind - probably repeating some of the impressions mentioned here:
- The game heavily suffers from over-hype backlash. A lot of fans started to place unreasonable expectations on what this game should be like, and CDPR promoted the game as though it would satisfy all these expectations. It really reminded me what had happen with the release of Watchdogs 1.
- They must have decided to go ahead with the release because they didn't want to miss the Xmas window. But yeah, the game is clearly unfinished, and completely unoptimized for PS4. It looks like a 'PS3 game remastered for your PS4'. On the technical side, Watchdogs 1 is better than this, and that game was released ... 6 years ago. Ouch. Personally it reminded me of the release of FF XV, but while FFXV was incomplete at launch, at least it was rather bug-free.
- How many times did I hear "I don't need good graphics, just give me a good story!" for a rpg? Personally, I've always found this argument absurd, because it's often the quality of the visuals that contributes to your immersion in the world where the rpg takes place. This game is a very good example of it: I do feel like I'm missing out on a lot of the atmosphere of this game, because the graphics quality is lacking.

I'd still give the game a 8/10. But it's a far cry from 'the second coming of the rpg-messiah to rule them all' that a lot of folks seem to have expected.

I dunno about unreasonable expectations. This is an adaptation of an existing property, a tabletop RPG, it's gameplay very much resembles what we see in the pre-Keanu marketing material, a team of mercs that do heists jobs for fixers in the cyberpunk world. It was marketed as such but it got shortchanged for a more doable linear action-adventure storyline and gameplay mode that focuses on V as a solo operative with a sidekick in his head. As Erotic Materia says, what it became is really not much of an RPG, doesn't matter if you are playing it on a console or PC for which it is optimised better.

Top Bottom