DCFFVII Research Thread

Torrie

astray ay-ay-ay
Screaming about how absolutely demented they were in Deepground to give out a book called, "How to Make Mako 10 Times More Fun."
Well, they spend time underground, devoid of sunlight and simple things that make humans happy. The've got to entertain themselves by any means available, haven't they? lolololol

This also might be the first time mako has ever been mentioned as... an edible substance?? Or is it considered edible for Deepgrounds SOLDIERs only since they already run on mako? "Curiouser and curiouser", as Alice would say in Wonderland :wacky:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Azul chillin' with Rosso, sharing a jar of mako as they watch randoms kill each other playing "Capture the Flag."

Both of the Tsviets eating it by the fistfull like Winnie the Pooh.

Mako poisons and renders humans comatose when overexposed or ingested.

Unless you're Deepground and you literally eat it for fun. Pass out cookbooks for it. Fucking hardcore.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Nero having an absolute Deepground Heated Gamer Moment when Sonon and Yuffie accidentally spill his Mako Dew Licorice Twist, trying to escape the Shinra Building in Intermission.

Because Nero's the type of demented monster who would enjoy mako, mountain dew, and fucking licorice mixed together.

Because he is the pitch black darkness.

Be aware that the auto-translation may be misleading. I can't say with 100% confidence that the "How to Make Mako 10 Times More Fun" description actually mentions mako as an edible or if something else is being said.

ヌーベルマスク
ディープグラウンドの女性たちに人気のマスク。Hirenも勝負マスクとして愛用している。
Nouvelle Mask
A popular mask for women in Deepground. Hiren also uses it as her victory mask.

神羅零式兜​
神羅ソルジャーの標準マスク。頭にジャストフィットするが、前が多少見えにくい気がする。​
Shinra-Zero Helmet
Shinra Soldier's standard mask. Fits the head perfectly, but makes it somewhat difficult to see in front.​
*(Officially localized as "SOLDIER Mask")

BETA

ガスマスク
神羅特製ガスマスク。一般に売られているガスマスクよりムレにくいらしい。
Gas Mask
Shinra's special gas mask. It is said to be more resistant to dampness than other gas masks sold in the market.

2006 ERA
ガスマスク
研究員たちが好んで着用するマスク。きつい締め付けが、程よく脳を刺激する。
Gas Mask
This is the mask that the researchers like to wear. The tight fit stimulates the brain just right.

耐爆発物用プロテクター​
爆発物を取り扱う際使用されるプロテクター。耐熱加工で爆発物センサー付き。目下故障中。​
Explosion-Proof Protector
A protector used when handling explosives. It is heat resistant and has an explosive sensor. Currently out of order.​

BETA
トンベリキャップ
トンベリをモチーフにした可愛らしいキャップ。……なんだか心が清らかになる。
Tonberry Cap
This is a lovely cap with a Tomberry motif. …It makes me feel somewhat pure inside.

2006 ERA
トンベリキャップ
かぶった瞬間、心の底からどす黒い怨念が溢れだす。気が付くと、包丁とランタンを求めている。
Tonberry Cap
The moment I put it on, a black grudge begins to overflow from the bottom of my heart. The next thing I know, I'm looking for a knife and a lantern.

チョコボキャップ​
祭りや部隊集会などで使う装飾用。戦場には不向きな代物だが、あえて着用する者も多い。​
Chocobo Cap
For decoration used at festivals and unit meetings. It is not suitable for the battlefield, but many people dare to wear it.​

死霊の面当て
死者の怨念が詰まった面当て。隙間に入り込んだ魔晄パウダーが非常に不愉快。
Phantasmask
The faceplate is filled with the grudge of the dead. Very uncomfortable due to the mako powder that got into the gaps.
*(Same text as Beta)

ゆる~いガスマスク​
いわゆる再利用マスクで、締め付け具合もゆるいため、脳への刺激もどこか物足りない……。​
Loose-fitting Gas Mask
This is a so-called reusable mask, and the tightness is loose, so the stimulation to the brain is somewhat insufficient…​

The loose-fitting gas mask has no corresponding 3D model and is the first I've ever heard of it.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Be aware that the auto-translation may be misleading. I can't say with 100% confidence that the "How to Make Mako 10 Times More Fun" description actually mentions mako as an edible or if something else is being said.

I mean, I'm not sure what other context can be inferred from "dishes." :monster:

Hell, you got Shelke having to bathe in mako. Deepground SOLDIERs have their suits give them weak infusions of mako. At this point? Fuck it, why not eat it?

LOL these items are golden. There's so much mako in Deepground it's in the fucking dust. I love how apparently they really do be having fun killing each other in this place. Wonderful.

My overall impression from the NPC text excerpts we have, and bloggers summarizing the NPC characters and subplots, is that the overall atmosphere is one of dark humor and silly contrasts. The basic premise is that everyone is a killing machine and death lurks everywhere...and yet we have subplots like the love triangle between Iruka, Carry and Masso. DGG Iruka is popular with the ladies and DGT Carry is in love with him. DGC Masso is one-sidedly in love with Iruka (and he always stands a short distance behind Carry) and so Iruka is his "rival".

Deepground is usually pictured by people as this constant, ultimate battle royale. Where is the time for a love triangle?! I guess love can bloom on the battlefield...?

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
My overall impression from the NPC text excerpts we have, and bloggers summarizing the NPC characters and subplots, is that the overall atmosphere is one of dark humor and silly contrasts.

This is why Deepground SOLDIERs are the best SOLDIERs. :wacky:

Fuck dreams and honor.

"Embrace your KILLING. And more than anything, protect your mako as you eat it." -Weiss giving an impromptu motivational speech to Deepground

Example of a player collecting mako capsules as part of a mission to advance in the DG ranks.

Mako-Capsule.png

BETA
魔晄カプセル​
中に魔晄エネルギーが入っている。魔晄を浴びないと死んでしまう者達の必需品。​
Mako Capsule
There is mako energy inside. A must-have for those who die if they are not exposed to mako.​
2006 ERA
魔晄カプセル​
魔晄エネルギーを中に閉じ込めたカプセル。​
Mako Capsule
A capsule filled with mako energy.​

For whatever reason, they removed the second half of this item description after the beta phase.

060224_1.jpg

イフリートフラッグ​
魔晄のエネルギーを利用して、​
赤く発光するフラッグ。​
Ifrit Flag
A flag that emits red light​
using the energy of mako.​

060404_1.jpg

シヴァフラッグ​
魔晄のエネルギーを利用して、​
青く発光するフラッグ。​
Shiva Flag
A flag that emits blue light​
using the energy of mako.​

Rule #1 of FF7: If it glows, it's mako. :wacky: (I guess that makes the sun a huge mako ball)

@Odysseus Beautiful <3

Grenade2.png

ボムのかけら​
ボムの組織の一部を利用した手榴弾。空気に触れると自然に発火し、一定時間後に爆発する。​
Bomb Fragment
A hand-grenade made from a piece of Bomb tissue. When exposed to air, it spontaneously ignites and explodes after a certain period of time.​

Old video of grenades unlocked but without sound effects
Didn't truly catch on until now that these grenades have tissue from the Bomb monster in them. I also used to think that "Bomb Fragment" was some weird general term for hand-grenade in Japan, but clearly that is not the case. Don't know where I got that idea from.

Screenshot_039.jpg

Sマイン​
設置式の地雷。至近距離の生体反応を感知して爆発する。​
S-Mine
Stationary landmines. It explodes by detecting a biological reaction at a close range.​

Same 3D model as some of the mines that can harm the player in the Extra Missions. In the online mode you could plant these on the field yourself.

@Odysseus I'm sharing those on the Dirge speedrunning Discord, if you don't mind :monster:

In some of the Extra Missions you collect the following medals:

Mini EX Medal
These medals are the key​
to clearing extra missions.​

Small medal with a Cactuar imprinted on it.
mini-ex-medal.png

Japanese name and auto-translation:
EXメダル​
ミッションクリアの鍵となるメダ​
ル。​
EX Medal
A medal that is the key to clearing the mission.​

Gigas EX Medal
These colossal medals are​
the key to clearing extra​
missions.​

Giant medal with a winged creature imprinted on it.
gigas-ex-medal.png

Japanese name and auto-translation:
GTEXメダル​
ミッションクリアの鍵となるサイズの大きなメダル。​
GTEX Medal
A large medal that is the key to clearing the mission.​

These medals were originally collected in the online mode, though under different names.

シルバーメダル​
サボテンダーがデザインされたおもちゃのメダル。​
Silver Medal
A toy medal with a Cactuar design.​
ゴールドメダル​
バハムートがデザインされたおもちゃのメダル。​
Gold Medal
A toy medal with Bahamut's design on it.​

Screenshot_102.jpg

060322_2.jpg

Screenshot_050.jpg

Thanks to the item descriptions unearthed from the game files we have finally confirmed what specific winged creature is supposed to be on the Gigas EX Medal: Bahamut. Prior to this I wasn't confident on making a definitive statement on this topic, though Bahamut would have been a reasonable assumption to make.

Investigating the unused/older KelStr files reveal that the Mini EX Medal and Gigas EX Medal were originally planned to go under different names:

DGメダル​
DGの刻印が入ったメダル。集めると何か良いことがある……?​
DG Medal
A medal with the DG imprint on it. If you collect them, something good will come of it. ......?​
Official localization
DG Medal
A medal inscribed with the​
Deepground insignia. It is​
said that good things come​
to those who gather them...​
GTDGメダル​
DGの刻印が入った大きなメダル。集めると何か良いことがある……?​
GT DG Medal
A large medal with the DG imprint on it. If you collect them, something good will come of it…?​

Official localization
GTDG Medal
A large medal inscribed with​
the Deepground insignia. It is​
said that good things come​
to those who gather them...​

The Deepground insignia is nowhere to be found on these medals. Rather than creating a unique design, the Silver- and Gold medal textures from the online mode were re-used for the Extra Missions.

References to "DG Medal" instead of "EX Medal" can be found in unused zone text data for the Extra Missions, not just in the KelStr files.

Last edited:

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I'm sharing those on the Dirge speedrunning Discord, if you don't mind :monster:
By all means.

Hey, is this area in the main game, or is this a sperate map?
screenshot_039-jpg.11424

I was just noticing it looks a lot more like the OG's Kalm than I remember from Dirge.

Hey, is this area in the main game, or is this a sperate map?

I was just noticing it looks a lot more like the OG's Kalm than I remember from Dirge.
The map is "Church" and its basic layout is similar to the final boss area in Kalm (Ch1) in the story campaign. Both have a church, a wide open square and adjacent stairs. "Church" is used for Extra Missions such as Collector's Mind and Vincent the Grappler.

No single area in the DoC rendition of Kalm can be perfectly lined up with the OG Kalm map. Rather the constituents of the original map has been spread out throughout DoC Kalm.
elm.png

For example the church area in DoC has the equivalent of the right upper half of the OG field map. But the strange metal tower at the center of the square is relegated to an earlier spot in DoC, which notably lacks any stairs.

The moogle dolls also count among the quest items in the online mode.

木彫りのモーグリ人形​
激流に躍りこみ、今まさに巨魚を叩き上げんと腕を振るっている​
モ―グリ人形の置物。​
Wooden Moogle Doll
A moogle doll figurine leaps into the raging current, waving its arms in the air,​
ready to slap up a giant fish.​
金メッキのモーグリ人形​
顔脇で拳を丸め、手招きしている金ピカのモーグリ人形。しかし、金運上昇の効果はないようだ。​
Gold-plated Moogle Doll
A golden moogle doll beckoning with its fist curled up beside its face. However, it does not seem to have the effect of increasing fortune.​
金のモーグリ人形​
その山吹色の輝きにぼーっと周囲が霞んで見える。つるっと滑らかな手触りはどこか悩ましく挑発的。​
Gold Moogle Doll
The brilliance of the bright yellow color makes the surroundings look hazy. The smooth, smooth texture is somewhat troubling and provocative.​

When I learned back when that the Gold Moogle Doll was included in the online mode I assumed that the game was re-using the Gold Moogle Doll from the single player. Turns out to be not so. The above text entry for the Gold Moogle Doll is from the quest item section for the online mode, completely separate from the text entry for the single player.
Single player version (official JP and official English)
金のモーグリ人形​
撃破数100を達成した者に与えられる幻の人形。 鼻を押すと「ク​
ポー!」と鳴る。​
Gold Moogle Doll
A rare gold doll presented to​
any who succeed in defeating​
100 enemies. Says "kupo"​
when its nose is pressed.​

The Silver Moogle Doll(s) that can be found in Ex Hard mode of the main game is unique to the "single player" and do not have an online-mode equivalent.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
The map is "Church" and its basic layout is similar to the final boss area in Kalm (Ch1) in the story campaign. Both have a church, a wide open square and adjacent stairs. "Church" is used for Extra Missions such as Collector's Mind and Vincent the Grappler.

No single area in the DoC rendition of Kalm can be perfectly lined up with the OG Kalm map. Rather the constituents of the original map has been spread out throughout DoC Kalm.
elm-png.11433
For example the church area in DoC has the equivalent of the right upper half of the OG field map. But the strange metal tower at the center of the square is relegated to an earlier spot in DoC, which notably lacks any stairs.
Oh it's based on the boss arena. I don't think I ever noticed the stairs before. that area also has the tower that's in the original map (the other towers in dirge's kalm look a bit different.

The timestamp string of the Japanese KelStr, from the North American version, is "KelStr 1.1 2006/06/07 22:43". This is the KelStr with the most multiplayer-exclusive text still intact.

The timestamp string in the NA localization prototype is "KelStr 1.1 2006/04/24 19:48", and while it contains plenty of text from the online mode it still is missing a lot of items + item descriptions that came later in the multiplayer's lifetime. The data fragments for the Turk Vincent event, which took place in June, aren't present. Even quest items from May, like the Eden Notes gained in the Empty ☆ Doll mission, are missing.

Timestamps stop mattering though from the PAL version and onward. While the JP KelStr in the European version has the stamp "KelStr 1.1 2006/08/24 11:56", it has been almost entirely cleansed of multiplayer text. The JP KelStr in the second Japanese release, DCFFVII: International, is based on this PAL file and so is almost devoid of juicy online-mode text.

Without the right KelStr files, we are left to online blogs and guides for certain item names and descriptions. Prime examples:
ポケットティッシュ​
参加賞​
Pocket Tissue
Participation Award​
マキシマ​
Makiの気合で弾倉部が拡張してしまったテラシマ。​
Maxima
Terashima whose magazine has expanded due to Maki's spirit.​
*(The name "Maxima" exists in the JP NA KelStr but not the item description)
魔晄キャンディ​
口の中がしびれてビリビリするキャンディ。10個集めると自分の星回りを見てもらえる。​
Mako Candy
A candy that makes your mouth numb and tingling. If you collect 10 pieces, you can see your own star circle.​
*(Deepground sure loves their mako)
極秘シークレットマスク​
Top Secret Mask
*(No description provided)
2uBrexZ.png
デュアルヘッドギア​
デュアルホーンもびびりまくりのデュアルヘッドのシンボルヘッドギア​
Dual Headgear
The dual-headed symbolic headgear that even the dual horns are scared of.​
ezN7dOD.png
マグニフィングヘッド​
研究棟で通称「マフィン」と呼ばれている、拡大鏡付きのマスク​
Magnifying Head
A mask with a magnifying glass, commonly called a "muffin" in the research building.​
BnEe4Xw.png
It's interesting though that none of the documentation from the Internet mentions the Adamantite quest item or the Loose-fitting Gas Mask. Could be that these items were never implemented in the final game. Or no blogger/guide-writer thought to mention these.

Last edited:
Top Bottom