Death Stranding -A Hideo Kojima Game-

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Oh God, the MGS4 announcement trailer was so good xD

Hmmm, I wonder if Death Stranding will have poop jokes.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
ooh so...maybe the 'stranding' has a double meaning, as in stranded on a beach but also 'strands' (ropes/umbilical cords) securing things?

Or I've gone crazy :monster:

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Aaaaand here's a better, more complete interview with Game Informer

Here's the last bit of it with the most relevant parts:

After the Sony press conference, we were discussing Death Stranding for hours and theorizing what it could be. Can you go into the inspiration behind the game?

There is this author that I'm a huge fan of named Kōbō Abe. One of his stories is called The Box Man. He wrote a short novel called Rope. I don't know if it has been translated to English. In this story, he states that the first tool mankind invented was the stick. The stick was invented to keep away bad and unpleasant things as a weapon. And the next thing mankind invented was the rope. Unlike the stick, the rope had [potential] to tie things close to you together.

Games nowadays are based mainly on sticks. You communicate and interact based on sticks punching or shooting or being used as weapons. Through cooperative and multiplayer you connect with other players through sticks. Now, in this game, you will be able to use sticks, but I also want people to use ropes to connect somehow. In the teaser, you can see crabs, whales, dolphins, handcuffs, and a baby with an umbilical cord. Those are connections. Connection is the theme of the whole game. The word "stranding" is a theme of the game. The name Death Stranding plays off key themes in the game.

How did you and Norman Reedus connect initially and for this project?

I wanted to work with him, and have been a fan of The Walking Dead. Going back to PT, I wanted to work with him on that. I tried to go to him directly. I don't like going through agencies. In this case, my friend Guillermo del Toro was also close with Norman, so he gave me his contact info and I got in touch with him. We just started work on PT and then he was sad about it [getting canceled] and the difficult circumstances back then, so we kept in touch. I talked to him again in February, and we made the decision to work together again. Toward the end of March we shot what we needed for this [trailer].

PT was being made with Reedus and del Toro. Were you considering reuniting the entire team and bringing del Toro on board?

I'm not working with Guillermo on this project, but we've always wanted to do something together. I don't know if that's going to be a game or a movie or a television show or a comic book, but we want to work together. With Guillermo, I discussed [Death Stranding] before signing with Sony, and said "I'm thinking of this project and working with Norman again" and he was happy, and thought it was a good idea.

Where are you guys at with Death Stranding? Is it still in the conceptual stage or are you in active development?

We're weighing our options for the engine. We are down to two candidates. One of the options was used to create this [trailer]. Because it's a new game, we want to do many tests first. As far as the imagery and the concept of what the world will look like, it's already settled. In between all of this, I'm trying to make the story and the characters and how it all comes together. We should settle on the engine soon, and at that point we'll move from tests to full development.

X :neo:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
oODPKWu.jpg

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X

I'm assuming this is the intro movie we'll be seeing for his new studio before the start of the game.

Ghost X

Kojima likes to be all meta, with his games commenting on the position as game player, and I'd put money on him doing that again. Speculative to the highest degree, but I wonder if those floating figures in the trailer have anything to do with the role of the player.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
No damn idea, but I am SO stoked. Here's the full quality version from their official channel:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Lel, it's Guillermo del Toro :wacky:

And Mads Mikkelsen, to the surprise of no one.

Man, this is so fucking weird! So this is what happens when you take Kojima off the leash. :lol:

Edit:

CyoxYfPVIAEpFWI.jpg:large

CyoxYfoVIAArfK4.jpg:large

Last edited:

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
What the fuck is going on?

Isn't it obvious?

Del Toro has to smuggle baby Thom Yorke in an iron womb through a war torn city. He has to avoid skull faced soldiers and tanks full of intestines. Mad's Mikkelsen is out for revenge after he had a severe allergic reaction to some mascara, which seems to have given him psychokinetic powers. The broken doll does a Thom Yorke impersonation which gives Mads a little smile of amusement and somehow clears up his allergy.

:monster:

Seriously looking forward to this, I mean if you're going to be batshit be totally utter fucking...ballsacks squished against Harrods window batshit.

Like I'm not even gonna make the mistake of expecting a coherent plot I can make sense of, this is gonna be Un Chien Andalou of games.

Top Bottom