Dissidia Duodecim Final Fantasy

Kobato

Pro Adventurer
I don't think it's that people hate Prishe necessarily, it's just that we don't know who the FUCK she is. :lol: And even while it's cool knowing this information about her, there's more than a handful of other well known characters that they could have chosen from. <=/

I'm not sure if there is Prishe hate, but I know that people are pissed off that SE added in a Final Fantasy XI character, instead of a Final Fantasy VI or IX one. While I am pissed off that there's no Celes or Vivi, Prishe does look rather cute so far, and she seems rather cool with her white magic and black magic abilities. Hating Prishe right now, when we know nothing about her personality or character, would be rather silly.

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time
Update - Track 1 listing added to the OST website.

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/music/sem/page/dissidia/012/

I think I found what I will wager is the battle theme for Desperado Chaos - "Cantata Mortis & God in Fire". I had a friend translate some of the Latin. Cantata is Italian and Mortis is Latin, reverse their order and you get "Deadly Chant/Deadly Song", roughly. There's also Canta Mortis, which is fully Latin and roughly translates as the same, but "canta" is a possessive form of "sing", so the phrase's meaning carries the implication that "mortis" (death) is the possessor in the possessive "I sing".

...yeah, Square-Enix went for the blind idiot translation. For those curious, "Cantus Mortis" would be "The song of death".

Last edited:

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
I realized something: Prishe has it worse than pretty much every single FF protagonist. She's hated and shunned by almost everyone, she's been locked up for most of her life, her hometown has already been more or less destroyed, she's a wanted criminal in half the world, she's being hunted by the Sin Hunter assassins and possibly Bahamut himself, she believes she will one day be responsible for the end of the world, she expects her own party members to kill her for the greater good someday, and her entire life has been manipulated by someone she trusted as a little girl all so that she can one day be sacrificed to Promathia, the God of Chaos. And she's still more upbeat than most FF protagonists.

And you know what? She almost never complains about it all. Her backstory isn't even revealed until halfway through the story, and everyone else in the party is shocked because she never complained about it before. Even when her immortality is revealed, she jokes about it ("If I were a Tarutaru, no one would have ever noticed."
wink.gif
. She chooses to bottle up all of her problems, and the only indication she gives is at the very end of the story, when she privately admits to the player character that when Promathia tempted each of them with what they wanted most, he offered to simply end her life.

So yeah, my respect for her has now gone up.

For those of you who are curious, I watched all the cutscenes on WotgAshiee's youtube channel. She has every Chains of Promathia cutscene on there. Here's the first one that introduces Prishe:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxzKmX2PSwU

Oh, and another thing: I noticed that Prishe's cussing never extends beyond "hell" and "damn". Guess even I was mistaken in my memory of her foul mouth.

What? I dunno where that link is suppose to go, but I see a cutscene in which Prishe is the leader of a group that worries about her when she is gone for too long, to which she responds by talking condescendingly.

And she has it worse then every sinle FF protagonist? Try Basch. His hometown as destroyed, his mother dies of illness, his brother hates his, hi new home gets conquered too, his brother kills his new liege and the people followed Basch into battle, he gets locked up in a cage in which he literaly can't even stretch his arms for two years and everyone thinks Basch did it all. And guess what, still the nicest guy in the story.

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tifabelle, Nathan Drake, Locke Cole, Kain Highwind, Yamcha, Arya Stark
Pretty sure most (if not all) FF characters have had shitty lives.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Yeah, and more importantly, the general gamer doesn't decide how much they like a character by applying a careful equation how bad their backstory is to how bad their attidute is. It's much more simple: FFXI tell it's story through conversation, there's nobody in Final Fantasy you'd want to have a conversation with less then Shantatto or Prishe. Or at least nobody that you are suppose to be feel sorry for apparantly.

EDIT: I'm going through these cutscene and yeah, Prihe isn't that bad. She lightens up for a while after she runs into a village and gets her ass thrown in prison for her attidute but she's hardly hated by everyone. I'm at Sheltering Doubt where she's talked off as a hero to her own nation and before that exactly one person refered to her as the "abhorrent one".

Last edited:

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Pretty sure most (if not all) FF characters have had shitty lives.

Time for the rundown

FF1- We have jackall clue.
FF2- Home razed to the ground, country conquered. Rather recent, but very shitty.
FF3- Actually nothing bad happens to either incarnation's heroes, apart from Refia's town going invisible. Arc being bullied approaches.
FF4- Cecil's life doesn't suck much until the recent shift in Baronian foreign policy, seeing as he's the most powerful military man in the country and the King's adopted son in spirit if not name. Rydia would qualify.
FF5- Bartz's life seems pretty idyllic- even his parents deaths are rather mundane. Lenne's a princess, Faris, despite being kidnapped by pirates, seemed to enjoy it. Galuf and Krile would count.
FF6- Yes. Terra and Celes both had lives of suck. Even people
FF7- Again, lots of sucky lives.
FFT- This game is made of 'your life sucks, deal with it.'
FFTA- This game is made of 'Yeah, you think your life sucks, it really doesn't, deal with it.'
FFTA2- Rather little of this from what I recall. Frimelda's arc fits, though.
FF8- While it's arguable how sucky his life really was, Squall feels like this is his life. Quistis had distant adoptive parents she never connected with. Rinoa's mom died young and her dad's an overbearing jerk. Your mileage may vary. The others seemed to have positive lives.
FF9- Garnet. Vivi. Eiko. Enough said. Other people's suckiness seems to be more recent or transitory.
FF10- Everyone but Tidus's lives sucked. Even though he had his issues with his father 'abandoning' him and an early death of his mother, he got Auron as a guardian and he was a celebrity. Other than that, the lives of the heroes did suck, even if they didn't realize it.
FF12- Basch. Keryep.
FF13- Pre L'cie, I'd say Lightning might have had a hard life (Raising her sister alone after their parents died) and the Fang and Vanille had to live on Pulse. Sazh was a single parent, which has its difficulties (especially since I think he's a widower, not a divorcee, which has its own emotional baggage) but he seemed happy with his life before his son got L'cied.

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tifabelle, Nathan Drake, Locke Cole, Kain Highwind, Yamcha, Arya Stark
Don't forget Ashe either. Maybe not her whole life, but the couple years prior were pretty crappy. Vaan and Penelo made orphans, etc. Shadow as well. So even if it's more recent I guess.

Of course, none of this changes the fact that I could care less about Prishe. Honestly, I skimmed that paragraph. I really didn't even read it. I just don't care. :monster:

Elisa Maza

Whomst
I know when someone is forcefully shoving a character and its origin game down my throat, Drake. That's what they are doing with Prishe now.

I have every right to hate a fictional video game character for what it looks like, because it is not real: it is CREATED to amuse and entertain and iconography has EVERYTHING to do with it. If the character looks like shit, then it's a fail character. It fails its purpose, it's raison d'etre which is to please me. It's the video game industry, not the reality. Image has everything to do with liking/disliking a video game character at first glance. And a glance is what we have about Prishe. No one knew shit about her.

That being said, no I don't hate Prishe. Where the hell did you get this idea? What I hate is the nerve of SE to scream down my ear and DEMAND from me to like a character I know NOTHING about in a superficial game that is created strictly for fanservice purposes. I have every right to react to this dickish behaviour from someone who demands my MONEY. I'm the buyer, the costumer and the costumer is always right.

Last but not least. Suddenly, there are people who act superior that they searched Prishe's backstory and they know it and they point fingers to people who hate her. And (using the 2nd singular here speaking generally, not to Drake) pretending to like Prishe after searching her backstory is perfectly hypocritical. All of a sudden you like a character you knew nothing about before? Smells like you want to play superior and do a hairflip.

I don't hate her, she's perfectly indifferent to me and that is exactly the reason why I hate her inclusion in the first place. This is why many people hate her inclusion: she's an unknown from a fail game SE wants to promote when they know it is a fail game.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I highly doubt SE has any interest in promoting FFXI, they want that game to be on its way out and be replaced by XIV. That's not going to happen, but Prishe is not in the game to get you to play XI. She's in there for fans of FFXI, wherever they are. I guess they must exist somewhere.

Last edited:

Elisa Maza

Whomst
The game (Dissidia) is for fanservice. It's silly to pretend otherwise. Fanservice means superficial enjoyment and pleasing the fans. SE wants fans because their income is low. If they actually thought that there are more XI fans than VI or IX fans, then they deserve to hit the rock bottom, being so detached from the desires of their fanbase. Which is what Dissidia is created for.

Including Prishe is idiotic, at the very least. Including her at the cost of other, more popular characters is downright nerve. And it's not like XI had no representative. Shantotto (sp?), anyone?

Also, in his interview, Nomura said that the team wanted to include someone from XI in the first place and they voted Prishe. My question: WHY XI? Why NOT another FF title with characters few(er) people would go "Who the fuck is that?" at? Is that game such a brilliant gem in SE history in terms of selling and gaming history impact that it shoved aside the other titles? The mere fact that the majority was questioning Prishe's identity when she first appeared gives me the answer: No. So, what is the reason? I say promotion. You may come up with other ideas, like lack of taste and not knowing what to do.

At any rate, whatever will be, will be. SE did a screw up in a fanservice game, whoop-dee-doo, new low. Let's hope the gameplay and graphics are good. Not hoping for scenario and dialogue whatsoever.

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Do you think the likes of Firion and Onion Knight would be in this game if they were going by sheer popularity?

Please note that my point is NOT that Prishe was a good choice, I've said a million times now I've been hoping for Beatrix. My point is that Prishe is not in the game to make YOU like her, she's in there for the people that do, regardless of how many of them there are.

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time
I know when someone is forcefully shoving a character and its origin game down my throat, Drake. That's what they are doing with Prishe now.

...What I hate is the nerve of SE to scream down my ear and DEMAND from me to like a character I know NOTHING about in a superficial game that is created strictly for fanservice purposes. I have every right to react to this dickish behaviour from someone who demands my MONEY. I'm the buyer, the costumer and the costumer is always right.

They demand nothing of the sort, you have the right to hate Prishe yes, but SE is hardly trying to cram her down your throat. Seriously, you could argue originally Shantotto was like that, and people don't mind her now do they?

Last but not least. Suddenly, there are people who act superior that they searched Prishe's backstory and they know it and they point fingers to people who hate her. And (using the 2nd singular here speaking generally, not to Drake) pretending to like Prishe after searching her backstory is perfectly hypocritical. All of a sudden you like a character you knew nothing about before? Smells like you want to play superior and do a hairflip.

So it's hypocritical to know nothing about a character and then change your mind once you know more about them?

Elisa Maza

Whomst
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the whole first Dissidia purpose was "take one hero, one villain from each FF title, lock them into a room and make them fight for the sake of fangasm". OK and Firion and even the nameless WoL were the heroes of their respective titles, so they get a pass, even if no one knew them. Their inclusion follows the logic the game was created on.

With Duodecim, they have the freedom to bring in more well-known characters that will raise the sales. And they chose a fairly not-so-known character. What SE raised here is its fans' eyebrows. I repeat, many people were asking for who she was. If she was the main heroine of a title, even though not so well-known, okay, the logic of the game had to be followed. But like this?

I know that your point was not that Prishe was a good choice, don't worry.

BTW, we're together in the case of Beatrix. :D

So it's hypocritical to know nothing about a character and then change your mind once you know more about them?

No. Pointing fingers at the ones who are complaining at her inclusion in a fanservice game is. Maybe Prishe in her game is a wonderful character, well-crafted and round.

So what?

Last edited:
Top Bottom