Dissidia English Clips & Translation Discussion

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Agreed, Cloud's Omnislash Vers 5 and Braver seem to be his preferred Aerial HP attacks, but his ground HP attacks suck. Good to see they've been boosted.

Omnislash Ver. 5 chained from Slash Blow is sick. It's such a simple yet punishing and effect combo. I love it. Definitely his best.

Braver's awesome because while slow, it can pierce through lots of other attacks such as Garland's "Cyclone," Mateus' "Flare" and a bunch of others. It's a pretty good way of closing in and nerfing another opponents attack.

I always though Meteorain sucked since it took so long to pull off and didn't track but its been sped up and although you can't tell for sure, it seems to target a lot better. Which is a plus.

Also, Cross-Slash is a great HP attack on the ground now because it too is faster. It's pretty easy to just guard some poor person's attack and then counter with a Cross-Slash.

I am just happy I never got the Japanese version since it seems they've really tweaked a lot of the characters and improved them. :monster:

Same with Squall, with that new aerial Magic move and Rough Divide, he'll be better at aerial fighting now. Apparently, in addition to doing it in the air, Rough Divide has a faster start-up too now.

Squall's aerial Rough Divide can be annoying especially if you don't hear him start it up and you just see this blue missile coming at you. XD

I think his Revolver Drive is probably one of his better HP attacks. It's got sick homing capabilities making it hard to dodge.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
An Ultimania montage? What do you mean?

And that's not an insult to you hito! You didn't even translate the Dissidia script! :P

I'm saying that Japanese dialogue translations while accurate and well done, were no where near as...readable/memorable/localized as the script is now. It gives it a flair that makes it stand as something more than just a standardized localization. It's like they put in a lot of effort to keep it accurate AND also unique and entertaining.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
An Ultimania montage? What do you mean?
Ultimania? I don't know what you mean, I see only 'Ultimecia' :monster:

And that's not an insult to you hito! You didn't even translate the Dissidia script! :P

I'm saying that Japanese dialogue translations while accurate and well done, were no where near as...readable/memorable/localized as the script is now. It gives it a flair that makes it stand as something more than just a standardized localization. It's like they put in a lot of effort to keep it accurate AND also unique and entertaining.
What I mean by :kermit: is that you should look to the actual Japanese script to judge it, and not the translations. But it depends on how the person decided to translate them as well. If they did the whole 'stick as close to the original language (even in terms of grammar)', I think it will lose some flair.

I just don't always agree with the view/statements people sometimes make along of lines of "this show/comic/game is completely different in Japanese because this guy on the internet made it like this with a load of unnecessary swearing and bad writing!"

Though maybe I'm not one to talk, also being a 'this guy on the internet' :monster:

Dark and Divine

Pro Adventurer
AKA
D&D
Nothing new here.

The VA's aren't bad per se, but they pale in comparison with their japanese counterparts.

George Newbern's work, in particular, while improving with time, is still far from being as memorable as Morikawa's.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Ultimania? I don't know what you mean, I see only 'Ultimecia' :monster:

Are you..playing a Jedi Mind Trick on me, or did I misread that?

What I mean by :kermit: is that you should look to the actual Japanese script to judge it, and not the translations. But it depends on how the person decided to translate them as well. If they did the whole 'stick as close to the original language (even in terms of grammar)', I think it will lose some flair.

Well, Mino's translations were very close to just the original Japanese language with no real addition of flair or anything. They were good but they were just..the bare bones meanings of what was said.

I mean, there's a difference between Cloud just saying "Scorch!" when he uses Firaga, and Cloud saying "Buuurn!" with an attitude.

Or, "The outcome was decided from the start" versus "You should've seen that one coming..." I mean, its a subtle...expression and attitude that's being given to Cloud that wasn't with Cloud before. Cloud's original seiyuu while great, and emotional, didn't really have much of the attitude Burton is giving him now. He was just stoic, and serious.

I just don't always agree with the view/statements people sometimes make along of lines of "this show/comic/game is completely different in Japanese because this guy on the internet made it like this with a load of unnecessary swearing and bad writing!"

Oh I totally get you. Sometimes, fansubbers like to be a bit liberal in terms of how they translate some language. Which works but gives a wrong impression of the script.

Hinata Hyuga

wallflower
AKA
Juniper, Rinali, Legretta
It sounds like Doug Erholtz is reprising his role as Squall, I have to admit thats the one VA I didn't want. I always thought his voice wasn't right for Squall in KH2 whereas I think David Boreanaz got it right in KH1 apart from that though I gotta say the effort was really put in to make sure they had a good english voice cast for this title, most of the voices are spot on or how I imagined if I hadn't heard them before.

I feel the same way. I don't hate Doug Erholtz(I thought he fit Asuma and Gizel Godwin fine), but he's not Squall to me. His voice sounds too old, and a bit too nasal.

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
legretta said:
His voice sounds too old, and a bit too nasal.

Precisley, I mean it sorta works in KH2 when Squall is coming into his late 20s, but at 17? It just doesn't work, heck even Cloud sounds younger than Squall and he's 4 years older than him.

DrakeClawfang said:
Not to mention David Boreanaz has experience playing brooding, black-clad loners.

Well there is that too :monster: funnily enough before KH ever came out I used to say to my brother that if FFVIII ever did a voice cast then David Boreanaz would be a perfect choice so imagine my surprise and delight when I found out he was the VA for Squall in KH1.

TheMadHatter

Banned
AKA
Not Sure - guess the movie.
Precisley, I mean it sorta works in KH2 when Squall is coming into his late 20s, but at 17? It just doesn't work, heck even Cloud sounds younger than Squall and he's 4 years older than him.

You know what some people tell me? Which I think is completely wrong..
They say Squall is older than Cloud. How is that possible? Squall came after Cloud, did he not? I don't buy that they are connecting the games after all and that FFVIII came before VII, that's just bull shit.

Well there is that too :monster: funnily enough before KH ever came out I used to say to my brother that if FFVIII ever did a voice cast then David Boreanaz would be a perfect choice so imagine my surprise and delight when I found out he was the VA for Squall in KH1.

I loved it when David played Squall. I only like Sqaull's new actor as Asuma >.< David should have gotten his part back. >_>

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
TheMadHatter said:
They say Squall is older than Cloud. How is that possible? Squall came after Cloud, did he not? I don't buy that they are connecting the games after all and that FFVIII came before VII, that's just bull shit.

Unless they're referring to KH in which they would be correct where we know Squall is around the 25/26 year mark but Cloud's is never given so we have to assume he's 21 in KH1 and 22/23 in KH2 as is the same with FFVII and AC.

In FFVIII however Squall is only 17 and I assume that's the age he's supposed to be in Dissidia so I think his voice needs to sound younger. David has a younger and lighter sounding voice which suits more to Squall while he's still able to maintain the whole brooding/loner quality. I just think Doug's is a little bit too old sounding for Squall.

TheMadHatter

Banned
AKA
Unless they're referring to KH in which they would be correct where we know Squall is around the 25/26 year mark but Cloud's is never given so we have to assume he's 21 in KH1 and 22/23 in KH2 as is the same with FFVII and AC.

How? Why did they change it? Seems pointless and stupid to me :P
Squall is younger and Cloud is older. :bmonster: defend Squall's age lol

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
Are you..playing a Jedi Mind Trick on me, or did I misread that?
The answer is at the bottom of my post :monster:

Well, Mino's translations were very close to just the original Japanese language with no real addition of flair or anything. They were good but they were just..the bare bones meanings of what was said.
You could make the greatest work of literature and liveliest dialogue sound dull if you didn't try to make it work in English. I've not read the translations for Dissidia, but I think just sticking close to the basics isn't the best representation of the original.

Or, "The outcome was decided from the start" versus "You should've seen that one coming..."
:kermit:

I thought we were talking about Cloud, and was wondering why I couldn't find this line. Don't sneaky quote the Emperor at me.

I thought the original had attitude, a kind of condescending tone to it, but that is kind of lost in the translations. But that's more a difficulty with translating than with the original script.

I mean, its a subtle...expression and attitude that's being given to Cloud that wasn't with Cloud before. Cloud's original seiyuu while great, and emotional, didn't really have much of the attitude Burton is giving him now. He was just stoic, and serious.
From the demo, I thought it was the best Steve Burton has been as Cloud (from how ever much you can judge from battle quotes).

But I don't really see the lack of attitude in Sakurai's Cloud either. But some person's attitude can be another person's lame, so I guess that's subjective :monster:

Oh I totally get you. Sometimes, fansubbers like to be a bit liberal in terms of how they translate some language. Which works but gives a wrong impression of the script.
I can't tell if stuff like "how can I trust a bitch who doesn't explain her shit" is supposed to be taken serious or the people were joking. It's that kind of stuff I don't agree with, making people think some comic for 12 year olds is some big mature thing because some scanlations used 'shit' and 'bastard'.

But I'm not sure what this has to do with this topic anymore :monster:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Meteorain definitely charges faster, but it tracked in the Japanese version too, Mako. Maybe it tracks better, can't really tell. But spamming meteorain from far away was rather effective in the Japanese version. :monster:

Both Burton and Newbern get better and better at their roles with each subsequent installment. I totally see what you're saying about Cloud's attitude. "Go back to sleep," is great. And Newbern's really delivering the 'puppet' lines just like I always imagined Sephiroth did.

Flunkies.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Not to mention David Boreanaz has experience playing brooding, black-clad loners.

Liar! Man has only ever played pastel clad social butterflies, and that's my interpretation and you can't prove it wrong.

In OG and Dissidia, that is false, and Squall is younger than Cloud. In KH, we do not know.

Flunkies.

FANBOYYYYYYYYY!

TheMadHatter

Banned
AKA
In OG and Dissidia, that is false, and Squall is younger than Cloud. In KH, we do not know.

In KH, they saw so.(?) The makers even say so. I hate it! Squall IS younger. I just don't get why they would fuck something up like that. Its wrong.

I adore Squall, I think he is so cute. But KH made him something he's not.
He wouldn't be THAT friendly to Sora. In FFVIII he was very nice to children, but the way he treats Sora is kinda...off character.

But on topic, David did in fact play a better Squall. Why didn't they get him for the part?

Tifaeria

Hello again! 8D
AKA
Roxy Lalonde, Black Canary, Princess Vampira, Ah-Choo, Cutie-Aoide
But on topic, David did in fact play a better Squall. Why didn't they get him for the part?
Either he was too busy, he wanted more money, or he just doesn't wanna do it. It happens. :monster:

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time
GameSpy....I love these people

Final Fantasy VII's Sephiroth is just about the most overrated videogame character in existence. Basically, the dude is a whiny, pissed-off loose cannon who overreacts to the discovery of his test-tube-baby birth (or FF7's magical equivalent, anyway) by trying to destroy the world. Yeah, that's perfectly reasonable. His long hair, dark clothes, and cartoonishly long sword won over legions of gamers easily impressed by generic, effeminate Japanese character designs, and he somehow ascended to the pantheon of arch-videogame-villainy because he killed one of your party members. Never mind the fact that you could use a Phoenix Down to bring dead characters back to life in any other circumstance, but hey, this happened in a cut-scene, so no take-backs.

FrankBarone.png

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
TheMadHatter said:
In KH, they saw so.(?) The makers even say so. I hate it! Squall IS younger. I just don't get why they would fuck something up like that. Its wrong.

I wouldn't go that far, Squall was about 17 when his world was destroyed 9 years before KH1 began. I don't really see the big deal with him being older to be honest, not everything in KH is canon i.e Aeris is still alive, so there is room for them to play around with the characters and change them around a bit.

TheMadHatter said:
I adore Squall, I think he is so cute. But KH made him something he's not.
He wouldn't be THAT friendly to Sora. In FFVIII he was very nice to children, but the way he treats Sora is kinda...off character.

Sorry but I actually have to diagree with that. He wasn't really that nice, he helped them if they were in trouble and gave advice but he wasn't overly nice or anything I can't remember any scenes in FFVIII where he was really nice to children. Squall's not known for being all nicey nice anyways seeing as he keeps his distance from everyone so I'd say the way he acts with Sora in KH1 is pretty accurate whereas in KH2 he recognises Sora more as a friend just as how he does half way through FFVIII with his own comrades. He also still maintains that notion of fulfilling his duty in KH of protecting and rebuliding Hollow Bastion similar to how he strives to fulfil his duty in FFVIII. so I reckon the character was pretty accurate.

@ DrakeClawfang's post about Sephiroth: 1. LMAO and 2. WTF?

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time
EPIK KEFKA IZ EPIK!!!!!

I see a poser! THIS is gonna hurt....did I get 'im? Don't mess with me! Whadda ya think of this?

Just like Kefka, I can't stop laughing. Just.....yes, Kefka, yes....

*applaudes*

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Holy shit...

Kefka's fucking hilarious. What a cold bastard. :monster:

Whoever did his voice has my respect. He did Kefka great justice.

Top Bottom