Dissidia English Clips & Translation Discussion

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Yeah, they fucked up again with Ultimecia. The most out of anyone it seems.

"I will deny all you stand for."

That should be, "Your existence is denied." Which...is what she says when she finally assumes her last form in the final battle. How the fuck did they muck that one up?

"Reality is harsh. Is it not?" is supposed to be...

“This is reality. No one can help you. Wouldn’t you agree?”

Where in FFVIII, while inside Edea’s body, Ultimecia said “This is reality. No one can help you. Sit back and enjoy the show” during her speech in Deling City.

The meaning is there, but the reference is pretty opaque now due to the wording.

"Why stand in the way of a witch?"....Yeah that's bizarre too. Especially considering they didn't call them "Witches" in the english localization of FFVIII. They were sorceresses. "Witches" is what they were in the Japanese game. That reference is also lost since it's supposed to be

“How dare you hinder a sorceress!”

In reference to FFVIII, Time Compression is disturbed by Squall and company’s confrontation, inciting this hate-filled line to be said.

I seriously want to see Squall now. But it looks like FFVIII got shafted here.

And now looking at Squall's we again come to a problem. Squall's victory quote:

"Go talk to a wall." Which he coldly said to Quistis when she told him she only wanted him to listen to her, has been translated to...

"Gone talking to a wall."

...LOL whut? That doesn't even make sense. Everything else makes sense though and is translated right but that memorable one got a really odd translation.

Last edited:

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time
Yeah, they fucked up again with Ultimecia. The most out of anyone it seems.

"I will deny all you stand for."

That should be, "Your existence is denied." Which...is what she says when she finally assumes her last form in the final battle. How the fuck did they muck that one up?

"Reality is harsh. Is it not?" is supposed to be...

“This is reality. No one can help you. Wouldn’t you agree?”

Where in FFVIII, while inside Edea’s body, Ultimecia said “This is reality. No one can help you. Sit back and enjoy the show” during her speech in Deling City.

The meaning is there, but the reference is pretty opaque now due to the wording.

"Why stand in the way of a witch?"....Yeah that's bizarre too. Especially considering they didn't call them "Witches" in the english localization of FFVIII. They were sorceresses. "Witches" is what they were in the Japanese game. That reference is also lost since it's supposed to be

“How dare you hinder a sorceress!”

In reference to FFVIII, Time Compression is disturbed by Squall and company’s confrontation, inciting this hate-filled line to be said.

I seriously want to see Squall now. But it looks like FFVIII got shafted here.

And now looking at Squall's we again come to a problem. Squall's victory quote:

"Go talk to a wall." Which he coldly said to Quistis when she told him she only wanted him to listen to her, has been translated to...

"Gone talking to a wall."

...LOL whut? That doesn't even make sense. Everything else makes sense though and is translated right but that memorable one got a really odd translation.

I agree with those allusions, but even the Japanese version didn't make them.

English quote - Japanese quote

"I will deny all you stand for." - "I will put an end to everything you love."

"Reality is harsh. Is it not?"- "Reality is harsh. Isn't that right?"

"Why stand in the way of a witch?" - "Why do you interfere with a sorceress?"

But yeah, on both fronts they dropped the ball on some prime allusion material.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I agree with those allusions, but even the Japanese version didn't make them.

English quote - Japanese quote

"I will deny all you stand for." - "I will put an end to everything you love."

"Reality is harsh. Is it not?"- "Reality is harsh. Isn't that right?"

"Why stand in the way of a witch?" - "Why do you interfere with a sorceress?"

But yeah, on both fronts they dropped the ball on some prime allusion material.
I'm pretty sure that the
first one in Japanese is incorrect. The Ultimania states it was "Your existence is denied."

The reality one is correct in terms of the Japanese script but going by the English localization script, it was "“This is reality. No one can help you. Sit back and enjoy the show."

If they're going to try to keep the references and stuff in check, they need to stick to the English localized script...since that's what we're familiar with. Using direct translations of the Japanese script is meaningless because they didn't do that the first time :monster:

It's just inconsistent.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Which is exactly what I was afraid of, they'd catch the Japanese references but not the English ones. The train is just a failure on both counts. But witch? Come on, they only said sorceress in that game over 9000 times. And one of Cloud's victory quotes is "Let's go." Meaning it was "ikou" in Japanese and anyone who knew the English localization of FF7 would have made that "Let's mosey."

Come on localizers, in this kind of game you really needed to be on the ball and you weren't...

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
That's one quote that I'm actually glad they messed up on, personally.

Which is exactly what I was afraid of, they'd catch the Japanese references but not the English ones. The train is just a failure on both counts. But witch? Come on, they only said sorceress in that game over 9000 times. And one of Cloud's victory quotes is "Let's go." Meaning it was "ikou" in Japanese and anyone who knew the English localization of FF7 would have made that "Let's mosey."

Come on localizers, in this kind of game you really needed to be on the ball and you weren't...

It's moments like these we really need a hardcore (English) fan work together with Square. Naturally the end product of all their projects would be much more excellent by working with the fans!

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Yeah yeah, I knew you'd say that (Mako). And I know it wouldn't really fit with the victory quotes either, but a reference is a reference. And since we'll apparently be missing a lot of them.

And I agree Shademp, or just hire some people to simply play through the English version of the games would have made it easy.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
That's one reference I could do without.

Cloud sounds a 100x cooler and more assured saying "Let's go" while shouldering his sword. It'd look and sound so awkward there. Besides, in FFVII Cid corrected him, so clearly he wouldn't say the same thing again :monster:

@Shademp

Honestly, they got most of the other games right to their credit. FF1 through FFVI were spot on. FFX looked good. It's just FFVIII that really got screwed, and then that one line in FFVII. FFIX is the last.

Oh and then there's the actual game script. Let's hope that's not going to be some terrible surprise there.

Indeed, I'm happy they got so many things right.

It's interesting how much more of a glimpse into Ultimecia's character we get through Dissidia. Our understanding of her and interaction with her in FFVIII is 'limited', to say the least.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Indeed, I'm happy they got so many things right.

It's interesting how much more of a glimpse into Ultimecia's character we get through Dissidia. Our understanding of her and interaction with her in FFVIII is 'limited', to say the least.

Yeah, Ultimecia has way more characterization and dialogue from her own mouth in Dissidia than in her original game. It's rather amusing. I like her a lot, which makes me sad her gameplay quotes got flubbed the most it seems.

LOL now I fear for FFIX...

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
It's fucking silly, and not in the good way.

In the Japanese version, wasn't it just Cloud saying it awkwardly, not saying an entirely different, hokey western cowboy expression?

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Eat a dick, Dac.

And I don't mosey anywhere. I stalk. And I ain't stalkin' out of nowhere! :@

You go and mosey with your love with that line. Luckily I'm not gonna be hearing Steve Burton sound like a drugged out cowboy talking to his horse. :monster:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Relax, I already said it would sound strange in that context, I was just making a point. And Cid correcting him is a good point, though, then the reference should have been "move out" :monster:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
LOL if he had said "move out" he'd sound like a goddamn military sergeant or something. :monster:

"Let's go" is just simpler, cooler, and just less awkward. I could live with "move out" though, but "let's go" just...sounds perfect.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Eat a dick, Dac.

And I don't mosey anywhere. I stalk. And I ain't stalkin' out of nowhere! :@

You go and mosey with your love with that line. Luckily I'm not gonna be hearing Steve Burton sound like a drugged out cowboy talking to his horse. :monster:

Cry moar kid.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
"Let's go" is just simpler, cooler, and just less awkward. I could live with "move out" though, but "let's go" just...sounds perfect.

It's also incredibly generic and dull.

"Let's mosey" is Clouds own unique line that highlighted his dorky awesomeness. But hey if you like mediocrity go for it kid.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
LOL if he had said "move out" he'd sound like a goddamn military sergeant or something. :monster:

Are you saying the original translation wasn't right?

I didn't know you were one of those 'I know better than the official staff' flunkies.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Make a note of it people, August 11th, 3:00PM, Mako was irrevocably wrong.

Top Bottom