Dissidia English Clips & Translation Discussion

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Now we just have to see how the localize or translate the lines from the previous FF games. Will they be the same as they were from the previous FF games, or are they gonna change them? I hope they keep them the same.

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time
Now we just have to see how the localize or translate the lines from the previous FF games. Will they be the same as they were from the previous FF games, or are they gonna change them? I hope they keep them the same.

Well, there's a hint of how that's gonna go...

http://psp.ign.com/dor/objects/9049...dissidia-final-fantasy-20090716052756429.html

Not *exactly* the same, but close enough to appease me....for now at least.

EDIT - Someone just called Exdeath a name....and I think they're right! They at least sound alike if it's not the same guy, but I think Exdeath is voiced Richard Newman, aka Rhinox from Beast Wars!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adQ8qluslqA

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
What was it in the game itself?

I'll refer you to your own translation work here, hitoshura :monster:

http://thelifestream.net/dissidia-f...l-fantasy-vi-p-510-of-the-dissidia-ultimania/

”Why do people insist on creating things that will inevitably be destroyed? Why do people cling to life, knowing that they must someday die? …Knowing that none of it will have meant anything once they do?“

And yeah, that's close enough, although I really would've preferred it being the same. Thank God, it's close enough to where it is still recognizable and all.

Going through some of these screenshots are interesting. But I'm confused at one. "Heaven's Light" as the name of one of Sephiroth's aerial attacks? I wonder what that's supposed to be? Empty Sky? I guess that would work. I'm not even sure what "Empty Sky" is supposed to represent anyways :monster:

Last edited:

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time
Going through some of these screenshots are interesting. But I'm confused at one. "Heaven's Light" as the name of one of Sephiroth's aerial attacks? I wonder what that's supposed to be? Empty Sky? I guess that would work. I'm not even sure what "Empty Sky" is supposed to represent anyways :monster:

Actually, there's a way to tell, sorta. The attack names don't appear for every attack, just HP attacks. The only Aerial HP attacks Sephiroth has is Prison Gate, which doesn't look like the screenshot (it's the downward stab), and Octa-Slash. So I think Heaven's Light is a new attack for him. Which is cool, because we've seen that other characters have new attacks.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I sure hope Heaven's Light, isn't a fuck up of "Flash." Because that's pretty damn basic. It's an attack from FFVII, and he had that attack in KH, KH2, and now this. Wait...nevermind. Flash is only an HP attack on the ground, so...Wow. You maybe right! :monster:

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time
Who else had new attacks?

Obviously, I don't pay much attention :monster:
Squall has an aerial spell where he fires multiple ice shards, and Emperor has an aerial Flare. Rather than the normal Blue Flare that tracks opponents, this is an Orange Flare that stays in place once fired like his Mines, but much larger.

Other changes I've noticed is Kefka's fireballs look more fiery than just red arrows, and his Trine triangles move faster. There's probably more that someone who has played the game may notice, but these are the obvious ones I've seen. I also think the Cloud of Darkness' "Wrath Wave Cannon" has a longer range, but it may have just been the camera angle.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Squall has an aerial spell where he fires multiple ice shards, and Emperor has an aerial Flare. Rather than the normal Blue Flare that tracks opponents, this is an Orange Flare that stays in place once fired like his Mines, but much larger.

Which is good, because Squall SERIOUSLY needs more aerial attacks. He sucks in the air due to his lack of attacks so hopefully this will make him a more competitive air fighter.

And that's an awesome addition to Emperor's attack arsenal. Holy fuck. I love it. I sure hope they give Cloud a new attack too. Something faster, since he's kinda slow. You can't play as aggressively with him, which sucks.

Other changes I've noticed is Kefka's fireballs look more fiery than just red arrows, and his Trine triangles move faster. There's probably more that someone who has played the game may notice, but these are the obvious ones I've seen.

That's good about the Trine. Kefka's attacks are WAAAAY too predictable, slow and dodgeable. Making Trine something that's not so easy to run or attack through will make him better. I sure hope there's more like this.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
No, we're talking about the English dialogue and the new attacks so far. :monster:

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time
Which is good, because Squall SERIOUSLY needs more aerial attacks. He sucks in the air due to his lack of attacks so hopefully this will make him a more competitive air fighter.

And that's an awesome addition to Emperor's attack arsenal. Holy fuck. I love it. I sure hope they give Cloud a new attack too. Something faster, since he's kinda slow. You can't play as aggressively with him, which sucks.

That's good about the Trine. Kefka's attacks are WAAAAY too predictable, slow and dodgeable. Making Trine something that's not so easy to run or attack through will make him better. I sure hope there's more like this.

Here, you can see the attacks - Kefka's faster Trine and more fiery fireballs at 3:24....

Emperor's aerial Flare at 1.27.....

And Squall's aerial Blizzard at 1:29

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Well I was reminded of the whole Kefka's quote whenever he battles against Tidus in Dissidia. :monster:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
WTF is Scintilla?

Fail. Even bigger fail for the attack being the same one he used in KH and KH2 and they somehow forgot that...Wow.

Sephiroth

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Diamond Weapon
I got to say that the voices of Terra and Ultimecia came out pretty well. They did an outstanding job with the voices.

Last edited:

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time
I think it may have been a hit and miss translation. "Scintillation" means "spark" or "flash" by definition, so technically the translation isn't wrong, it's just literal. But yes, it's still a fail in that they missed the reference.

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time
Cecil vs Gabranth, courtesy of GameSpot.

I have to say I like how they named Gabranth's Quickenings. The translations, especially the third, are too different from the original names to be accidental, so I think they deliberately renamed them. Which is appropriate, given that they *look* different from Basch's, they should have different names too.

Fulminating Darkness --> Fulminating Oblivion
Ruin Impendant --> Ruin Unflinching
Flame Purge --> Frost Purge

Last edited:

Sephiroth

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Diamond Weapon

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
:facepalm:

Try reading the thread. These are the videos we've been posting and talking about.

Top Bottom