E3 2019 Full Trailer with TIFA!

a_apple

Pro Adventurer
AKA
orange
I disagree, as outfits are concerned, Tifa is clearly the most changed of the characters. She's dressed more like a cheerleader now, and it boggles my mind that there are people out there that can't tell the difference. I don't think modern graphics has to match real life physics 100%. I mean silly as it sounds; magic effects are coming out of her fists and legs, Barret has a gun arm, Cloud's skinny arms wields a gigantic buster sword. None of that could possibly happen for real, regardless of who the person is or what he/she wears, how can you tell me Tifa's tube miniskirt can't defy the laws of physics in the Final Fantasy VII world? Because it looks odd? It's ALL odd, and it's cool!
I absolutely understand where you're coming from. When I first saw her new look I really hated it just because it seemed so out of character for her and looked so much more sexualized than her good old barmaids outfit. BUT since then I saw so much nice fanart of her that I really started to warm up to it:mon:

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
Speaking of the Tifa trailer, I've been trying to figure out what moves she's using, just for fun. It's actually kinda tricky...I can try, though. Hopefully someone experienced out there can step in and correct me:

The first move is cool, but strange...looks like a mixture between a spinning back kick and a whirlwind kick with no real pause between them, then she spins into some kind of forward strike with her hands. Then comes something I can't catch, followed by something that looks like a charged up Shoryuken with extra spins, haha. Neat looking stuff.

The next sequence is also fun. Looks like she uses a roundhouse and steps into a southpaw stance (right foot forward), then uses a boxing one-two to the body (a jab and straight combination) followed with an uppercut to the chin. Cool. In the next scene it even looks like she starts off with an elbow strike? Not sure.

It's going to be super fun using her moves in combat. I say that even though I love turn based stuff...
This is both really interesting and a great example of living up to your username haha.

My last thought on Tifa's design is that using shadows to cover up is not a solution, it's just ignoring the problem. Aside from that though, I'm not sure what else there is to say about her design aside from people are never, ever going to agree on it :mon:

Roundhouse

Pro Adventurer
This is both really interesting and a great example of living up to your username haha.

My last thought on Tifa's design is that using shadows to cover up is not a solution, it's just ignoring the problem. Aside from that though, I'm not sure what else there is to say about her design aside from people are never, ever going to agree on it :mon:

Haha, thanks! Surprised someone else found it interesting actually. I particularly like the spinning back kick that they've given her. I was looking at the bit after the possible elbow strike, and she actually switches from orthodox into southpaw and then throws the spinning back kick. It's awesome to watch her transition into the different movements.

Animexcel

Pro Adventurer

You're right. She should wear black underwear.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Haha, thanks! Surprised someone else found it interesting actually. I particularly like the spinning back kick that they've given her. I was looking at the bit after the possible elbow strike, and she actually switches from orthodox into southpaw and then throws the spinning back kick. It's awesome to watch her transition into the different movements.

This analysis has me so pumped. Love the way her move set shows how ambidextrous she is. I can so see Tifa in a brawl with Rude and pulling a “I am not left handed” move.

Animexcel

Pro Adventurer
I absolutely understand where you're coming from. When I first saw her new look I really hated it just because it seemed so out of character for her and looked so much more sexualized than her good old barmaids outfit. BUT since then I saw so much nice fanart of her that I really started to warm up to it:mon:

Yeah I agree about the fan art. I don't know what it is, but when I see the new version of Tifa in the Remake, the outfit makes her look.. shorter. Maybe slightly de-aging her too. Like we got high school Tifa instead of college Tifa.

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
This analysis has me so pumped. Love the way her move set shows how ambidextrous she is. I can so see Tifa in a brawl with Rude and pulling a “I am not left handed” move.
Except Rude won't hit her back so it looks like this:
Dragon-TheBruceLeeStory-01-400-sg.gif

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
LMAO like that's not even a joke.

If Tifa is in the party in a boss battle against Rude, even if Tifa is the only character left standing, he will not attack her. He just won't do it. Rude has to rely on other allies or his other Turk buddies to deal damage to her because he seriously can't bring himself to hit her.

Now this normally is never an issue cause the other Turks are with him and have no qualms bashing Tifa's head in but it does make one fight hilarious.

The Rocket Town boss fight on the way to get the Huge Materia. Rude is backed up by two MPs and if you KO the MPs, Rude is all alone and if Tifa is there... Well, enjoy the stare down :mon:

I really hope they keep that element in the Remake. It's fucking hilarious.

Dissidia NT did it successfully. They used shadows to cover up, so it can be avoided.

I mean, there's nothing wrong with this approach but going by the logic that went in redesigning Aerith's dress and top, they obviously are going for a more realistic and grounded approach, at least in terms of clothing. That's just how it is.

And I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Nomura and the other artists have already done the FFVII characters in 1:1 realistic CGI style. They now wanted to do something fresh that would be surprising, eye-catching and generate conversation regarding the game. It makes perfect sense.

Would anyone really be surprised, excited or so intrigued about the next upcoming characters if all the FFVII cast just had PS4 gen updates to their FFVII 10th anniversary artwork? I highly doubt it. The outfits are one of the avenues the creators can really play around and do something different to keep themselves stimulated and not just stagnate. As long as we don't get something too atrocious or bizarre, I don't mind it at all. I like it.

Random Nobody

local roach
Yeah I agree about the fan art. I don't know what it is, but when I see the new version of Tifa in the Remake, the outfit makes her look.. shorter. Maybe slightly de-aging her too. Like we got high school Tifa instead of college Tifa.
it's because she looks like she's wearing a disney channel original outfit from the waist down.

don't boo me i'm right

Reactions: Ite

Animexcel

Pro Adventurer
I mean, there's nothing wrong with this approach but going by the logic that went in redesigning Aerith's dress and top, they obviously are going for a more realistic and grounded approach, at least in terms of clothing. That's just how it is.

And I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Nomura and the other artists have already done the FFVII characters in 1:1 realistic CGI style. They now wanted to do something fresh that would be surprising, eye-catching and generate conversation regarding the game. It makes perfect sense.

Would anyone really be surprised, excited or so intrigued about the next upcoming characters if all the FFVII cast just had PS4 gen updates to their FFVII 10th anniversary artwork? I highly doubt it. The outfits are one of the avenues the creators can really play around and do something different to keep themselves stimulated and not just stagnate. As long as we don't get something too atrocious or bizarre, I don't mind it at all. I like it.

I'll have to go with less is more on this one. Details are nice and all, but the original outfits had a certain style to them already. They kept them intact for the most part; some changes were good, some not in my opinion. I mean I'm still excited for this remake, it's just if the characters dressed more closely as they did in the original concept art, I'd be even more excited.

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
Also, I really hope they let Scarlet wear something a little more professional.

I like her original attire.. Maybe because I tend to view her as some sort of aging femme fatale with an obsession with weapons (probably more with killing tbh..). She definitely seems like the type to push boundaries. I imagine her drowning herself in perfume and having long impractical red nails.

I had something like this in mind:
jennifer-aniston-tux-tuxedo-look-outfit-burgundy-no-shirt-sexy.jpg

Because no self-respecting woman with a modicum of taste and professionalism would wear a cocktail dress to work. It's not about the sluttiness, it's about knowing the social etiquette of clothes. The heels should be at least six inches and she should be able to run in them like a boss. They also double as a weapon.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Dissidia NT did it successfully. They used shadows to cover up, so it can be avoided.

Yesterday I stumbled on an interesting Reddit thread re: Tifa's redesign and I think that they definitely have a point:

Of course, since Dissidia NT decided to use the classic design people are calling out the "ethics department" for changing her design (FYI, everyone got a change, they put a shirt on Barret) but there's more to it.
Beyond the fact that Dissidia NT is infinitely smaller compared to FFVII, let's look at the warning label for Dissidia NT:
Partial Nudity, Violence
That's it. That's all they have to warn against so keeping a T rating is far, far easier. The violence has no blood or gore to boot.
FFVII, however, going by the original itself will be:
Partial nudity, suggestive themes, violence, blood and gore, acohol use, tobacco use, strong language
Which means it will be infinitely harder to keep a T rating.
Then there's the fact that FFVII Remake will be the face of SE for a long time and public image will be important here.
Add in the fact that Dissidia also is further from the camera and faster paced so during gameplay they don't have to worry about having physics on their characters beyond the minimal compared to FFVII where we are almost over their shoulder and slower paced.
Tifa is also not the one to push the partial nudity tag, Cloud of Darkness is so she's much more mild in comparison. Both are considered "main characters" to boot.
Basically, what I'm getting at is Dissidia NT's situation is completely different from Final Fantasy VII Remake's and comparing the two is an exercise in folly.

Emphasis is mine. This is definitely a big difference between the two games, and one that would explain easily this. They don't want pantyshots.

Then, you have this interview from Sakurai for another game who explains how ratings work in JP. Basically there are questions of "could there be panty shots, y/n?" and you have to keep in line to avoid that sort of things. This is where we realise that JP can be weird :D
Found this interview in this chain of messages on Reddit that also is very interesting to read.

Animexcel

Pro Adventurer
Yesterday I stumbled on an interesting Reddit thread re: Tifa's redesign and I think that they definitely have a point:

Emphasis is mine. This is definitely a big difference between the two games, and one that would explain easily this. They don't want pantyshots.

Then, you have this interview from Sakurai for another game who explains how ratings work in JP. Basically there are questions of "could there be panty shots, y/n?" and you have to keep in line to avoid that sort of things. This is where we realise that JP can be weird :D
Found this interview in this chain of messages on Reddit that also is very interesting to read.

Ughh, why are pantyshots such a problem for Final Fantasy?
VMJ0Eh5.gif

OdaDaimyO

Conqueror of Sugar
AKA
Mochi Lover
I wouldn't have asked the question if there were.
But if I were to really think of one, and it probably won't count, it would be a fallen Rikku in FF X-2.
OK. Forgive me, for doing you wrong. You said it's 'a problem', and I interpret it as you thought, they would dispose another "feature" from the series.
I apologize for my ignorance!

tenor.gif

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I don't think X-2 had pantyshots. Not that were in the US or EU releases.

FFVIII had Selphie, but that was edited in the International and overseas editions.

Pantyshots are mostly avoided.

Animexcel

Pro Adventurer
OK. Forgive me, for doing you wrong. You said it's 'a problem', and I interpret it as you thought, they would dispose another "feature" from the series.
I apologize for my ignorance!

tenor.gif

Well, I was trying to be funny by saying that. Sorry if I offended you.

I don't think X-2 had pantyshots. Not that were in the US or EU releases.

I don't think it does. I just saw Rikku die one time and thought, "uhh they didn't cover her yellow thong there."

I was thinking about this, but thought the question was about the main Final Fantasy games and apparently Dissidia doesn't count because it's not realistic and camera angles are different.

I like her original attire.. Maybe because I tend to view her as some sort of aging femme fatale with an obsession with weapons (probably more with killing tbh..). She definitely seems like the type to push boundaries. I imagine her drowning herself in perfume and having long impractical red nails.

Yes, and maybe a little more than a slapping match against Tifa.

anigif_enhanced-mid-12678-1438720932-6.gif

Last edited:

OdaDaimyO

Conqueror of Sugar
AKA
Mochi Lover
I can see Scarlet wear some gear, that fills the strenght gap between her and Tifa.

Something like this:

cac3989cf95d09d40726947dcc76e964fad4d87c.jpg

FFShinra

Sharp Shinra Shill
Random aside, but looking at the air buster fight again, I kept wondering how Cloud can fall from such great distance and not get more than a few scrapes and bruises. I mean sure, Jenova and Mako. But maybe for a bit less suspension of disbelief, I had a thought upon looking at the airbuster....what if when it explodes, cloud grabs on the hover portion and "rides" it down to the slums?

Top Bottom