E3 predictions

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Square Enix: The deadbeat dad of game developers. He promised to take you to the zoo on your birthday, but daddy isn't coming. 2 days later you come home from school and find he left you a swingball set. You already had one but he didn't bother to check with your mum. There is only one paddle.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
So... Squeenix purposefully snubbed E3 this year right? They didn't even announce their Marvel title. Nomura took his KH3 trailer to a concert audience *instead* of E3, and is probably going to miss the week altogether. What happened?

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
So... Squeenix purposefully snubbed E3 this year right? They didn't even announce their Marvel title. Nomura took his KH3 trailer to a concert audience *instead* of E3, and is probably going to miss the week altogether. What happened?

Well, Final Fantasy VII Remake Part 1 is obviously still in early development(lagging two years behind of KH3) and they only just announced the Marvel title(Gotta ask, though. Since when did Square earn half of the ownership of Marvel? Is it another half-deal with Disney who owns the other half of it?).

And as for KH3....who knows? Maybe Nomura wanted to focus more on the concert instead of E3 this year. I mean, seriously, given how airlines are these days and that America and Japan are both half around the world away, he can't do both in just one week, let alone in 24 hours. He probably wouldn't get any sleep if he did that.

Or....maybe we still have to wait for both games in 2020 and 2021.

All in all, I had a feeling that FFVII Remake wasn't going to show up this year, same with KH3, but I never expected that we'd at least get a trailer at the Concert either, so that's a nice surprise.

Unit-01

Might be around.
AKA
Sic, Anthony

Frankly I forgot about the Marvel title until you said something here Ite.

I feel like something is up with Square though.

Ryuman

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pointlessname, Pointer
Damn. Maybe this is due to the development shift. It's so weird for Square to deny Nomura a video at Monaco Magic this February and still have nothing for E3.

I would honestly feel a lot better if they communicated some info on what's going on or when we might expect to see the game again. I honestly still kinda believe in a 2018 release.

Unit-01

Might be around.
AKA
Sic, Anthony
If we go through the rest of 2017 with nothing I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being past 2019.

______
We are 1/2 way through 2017 with two screenshots, and news of development troubles. Maybe the 2nd 1/2 of 2017 will give us more.

Ryuman

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pointlessname, Pointer
I honestly still kinda believe in a 2018 release.

You optimistic man!! 2019... at the very earliest.
I am an optimist, yeah...

If we go through the rest of 2017 with nothing I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being past 2019.

______
We are 1/2 way through 2017 with two screenshots, and news of development troubles. Maybe the 2nd 1/2 of 2017 will give us more.

...But basically this. If there is nothing at TGS or even PSX, the dream is dead.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I kinda feel like the most likely explanation really is the legal whatevers that're happening between SE & CC2 over them taking everything in-house. It seems like that's the most plausible explanation for everything that's been happening insofar as a lack of information on FFVIIR lately, the trailer not dropping, etc.

I can't imagine them not being able to address SOMETHING about it during their little segments, or that they'll get out of E3 without any mention of it on some level though, but given the way things are at the moment, it doesn't seem like we'll be getting anything substantial until that's cleared up – and we won't hear specifics about that for likely obvious legal reasons.

X :neo:

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Hahaha, touché. :P

Still, this year's not only the 30th anniversary of Final Fantasy, but it's ALSO the 20th anniversary of FFVII, so not being able to talk about it seems like something that they HAVE to be aware of, even if they're avoiding it for all the legal top-toe-type reason, it'll be amazing if nobody brings it up to them at some point.

X :neo:

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
So basically E3 in one picture:

DCKyWavUwAAIvZA.jpg

Ohzai

Rookie Adventurer
At least they showed a 5 second clip of the 1997 FF7 of their 30 years on Final Fantasy on their presents show.

7c6.gif

Worth.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Damn. Maybe this is due to the development shift. It's so weird for Square to deny Nomura a video at Monaco Magic this February and still have nothing for E3.

I would honestly feel a lot better if they communicated some info on what's going on or when we might expect to see the game again.

Maybe they'll show the trailer at the Tokyo Game Show in September this year? There's still that in just three and a half months from now.

I honestly still kinda believe in a 2018 release.

You optimistic man!! 2019... at the very earliest.

2018 for KH3, and 2019 for FFVII Remake Part 1 and maybe 2020 for Part 2 at the very earliest for both which makes sense(Hopefully). Still waiting on what Reno would look like in the Remake, though.

Ryuman

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pointlessname, Pointer
That sounds very realistic to me. I remember Kitase or someone mentioned in an interview about wanting to finds ways to keep players engaged between parts, so I really feel they'll make the wait between each part as short as possible. If that means holding off on releasing some of the earlier parts straight away, then that's fine with me.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
So E3 has come and gone and not getting any new footage after 1.5 years is disappointing. I guess the latest we can expect something is PSX. That'd mark the two year point since the last trailer and I think even FF Vapor XIII never went more than two years without a trailer at least.

Of course it could be earlier at TGS or something but I'm honestly hoping for PSX since that means having a livestream and hanging out with people in the voice chat again which is more fun. :monster:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
IIRC, FFXVapor had effectively one trailer at the very start, then nothing until it was rebooted as FFXV. But mind you, my memory's shit so I might be wrong. IIRC though, they didn't maintain the XIII Versus hype once they started with XIII-2 and 3.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Versus XIII had several trailers. I still have them somewhere and I used to watch them a bunch :wacky:

edit: Reveal in 2006, new trailer in 2008, then 2010, 2011, re-reveal as XV in 2013 :monster:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
It occurs to me that the remake has now already been in production for three full years ... and we haven't seen anything past the first bombing mission. =|

Also --

Just came across this (now amusing) post Ite made one year ago (as of yesterday):

Interesting interview, and confirms all-too-late our suspicions that FF7R won't even be brought up at what's left of E3. It's likely that they'll roll out a new trailer at the next PS Experience, or their own private event. My prediction is that we'll get a "character reveal" trailer showing off Tifa and Aeris this December, and then at next year's E3 we'll get a demo and a release date.

:awesomonster:

Last edited:

Lex

Administrator
You need to bear in mind we were fresh off the E3 of dreams and all under the false impression that SE had finally "understood". XV was about to be released, VII Remake had been revealed AND had a gameplay trailer less than a year prior. They've since rapidly reverted back to their confusing and irritating usual behaviour.

hian

Purist
I can't go into to much details, and people are free to take this with a grain or salt or jump down my throat for it - but as far as I know, a trailer was slated to be shown at E3 prior to the news about the game being moved back to Business division 1.

This has severely shaken what little faith I had mustered for the project.
Usually, moving production back internally would be a given because of what FFVIIR is to SE, and the final run-down of systems and assets would likely have been slated for a in-house team anyways, and as such my original assessment was that this was merely a par for the course, meaning that the game was, ultimately, on track.

However, seeing as the game was a complete no-show at E3, that immediately rang alarm bells to me, which prompted me to run like a moron through some of my private channels. Everything is on super tight lock-down (which is also probably why we've had no reports of journalists asking where the fetch the game is, and what SE responded with) pretty much confirms to me that something has gone wrong at some level with the project.

This does not spell good for several reasons -
1.) Considering SE's marketing practices, most major games in the pipe-line with a close to certain release date get heavily marketed as much as a year in advance, if not more, and the marketing campaigns are almost without exception set to launch during major press events. This means that FFVIIRs release window is way off, since the only other major press events are TGS and PSX, the former for September, and the latter in December, which in either case means that at best, we're probably looking at a winter 2018 release for the first part. Unless all the parts are slated to release within the year (which is highly unlikely given what they've said about the size of the parts), that would put something like a one-buy complete FFVIIR experience out to something like 2020.

2.) FFVIIRs release window being waaay off, is a problem. The "take your time" crowd need to realize that you can't just "take your time" with games at the AAA level, because any such project is a black money-sucking hole for as long as its active I.E the longer you take on a project the more money you're draining from a company without generating a return profit.
This is a problem because it motivates upper management and major shareholders to push for patch-quilt releases based off of market research data on how little they can release while generating sufficient profit to consider the project to be either a success, or good enough of a success to the point that they can walk away without major losses and pretend it never happened.

Consider FFXV - and the incomplete mess that game turned out to be because of its delays.

The more FFVIIR gets delayed, the higher the likelihood of further delays acruing down the line as hardware gets outdated, or new standards of fidelity are reached demanding rework of assets etc. in order to keep the remake up to current standards (this is especially true given where we're at in the current console generation) - and the higher the likelihood of upper management stepping in to rail on production saying, release it with whatever you have and be done with it.

This is especially problematic in light of the remake when you consider this is just part 1. It's not even the entirety of what they plan to make.
What happens to the later parts if the first part sees heavy delays and as a result gets released to mediocre reviews and fan backlash?
It would be reasonable to think that the entire reason for outsourcing the game to several larger external companies, and using the U4 engine was so they could push out the first part as early as possibly to avoid that from happening, but that would only seem true if they had managed to get the part out this year.
It can't possibly work out smoothly with a late 2018 release, given how far out we are in the current console generation.

It's possibly to salvage all of this of course - if SE are playing "4 dimensional chess" with everyone, and actually plan on doing something crazy like having the first part be the entirety of the original game, and the other parts be dedicated to spin-off material (like compilation story-lines - prequels and sequels), and have a huge reveal thing planned for TGS.
But I just don't see it. Given SE's current track-record, it just doesn't seem realistic to put my bets on that.
Seems more likely that, in good old SE fashion, they've fetched up something seriously, and are currently scurrying about like mice on cocain trying to work things out, but at this moment in time, really have no idea what to do - hence the radio silence.

Not liking this one bit. Seriously SE, get your shit together.

Top Bottom