Lulcy
Updated Key Visual.

ccgag6bawyn61.jpg

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
3.0+1.0 week one box office:

The film has sold 2,194,533 tickets for 3,338,422,400 yen (about US$30.6 million) in its first seven days in 466 theaters in Japan. The film sold 33.6% more tickets for 45.1% more yen than the previous Evangelion film during their respective first seven days.
Week Two box office.

Film has accumulated 3,222,873 million tickets sold and has earned 4,934,996,800 yen (about US$45.37 million). The film stayed at #1 in its second weekend. The film has earned 48.8% more yen and sold 36.0% more tickets than previous film during the same 14 days period.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
People still buy anime DVDs? :monster:

Of course they do. Unless you wanna rely on streaming and then see your favorite series' licensing rights expire and then disappear off whatever platform forever. You buy it so you can enjoy it without restrictions.

You simply buy a series you like or you pirate it. Anime is notorious for up and vanishing because of legal crap or just lack of interest.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Going with piracy for now, I'm not too keen on blowing another $400 right after getting a PS5. Maybe later lol. What happened to Eva anyway? It's like the most popular thing anyway, why no bluray release? I can tell the OG English dub is caught in some legal snafu, which is why Netflix redubbed it.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Both I guess? Bluray is physical media lol. I have some newer shows like Steins;Gate on Bluray just because I happened to see them. Older series like Eva, out of print DVDs are the only way to actually own them sometimes.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Evangelion is a testament example of why you buy DVD/Blu-Ray box sets of series you like because you never know what the future will bring.

Their distribution rights got fucked up with the bankruptcy of ADV in 2009. Shit's been weird with Eva ever since that happened. I picked up the DVD box set and have never regretted it.

Another series example is Blood+. Anyone remember that one? For God knows what reason, Sony has memory holed that series and refuses to give the rights away for streaming. Meaning, DVD is the only means of getting that series to watch again, because you sure won't find that running on Adult Swim anymore. And I dare someone to take a look at how much the Blood+ series costs now.

Anime is not something you can count on being "available." Own it or pirate it.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
there has been a japanese bluray release of the original series. and since it’s a japanese home release of a tv series it costs hundreds

but i still want it (the first release is out of print now but there was a cheaper release with some of the physical bonus material excluded later on and i should really look for that)

imagine watching it on netflix and they replace fly me to the moon. the audacity

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Yep ended up binging the whole thing in like two days lol. There was a decent transition into more serious drama from the episodic stuff. The ZEBRA SPHERE episode was where I could tell it would all be down hill from there. There's a lot I could say, but I'm still processing it all lol. There's a bit of animation in episode 20 that looked straight out of a film, I was really impressed. Compare that to the storyboards and reused animation of the last two episodes lol, they must have blown their budget. The stuff with Kaoru seemed oddly rushed, I'm assuming for similar reasons. Poor Shinji never did want to pilot that robot.

I still need to watch End of Eva, but I'll do that a little later.

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
Going with piracy for now, I'm not too keen on blowing another $400 right after getting a PS5. Maybe later lol. What happened to Eva anyway? It's like the most popular thing anyway, why no bluray release? I can tell the OG English dub is caught in some legal snafu, which is why Netflix redubbed it.

Blu-ray for NGE/Death/EoE coming in 2021 to North America (GKIDS, including digital download) and U.K (Anime Ltd). No idea if the dub will be ADV or Netflix, or if a new one (rofl) will be commissioned.

Yep ended up binging the whole thing in like two days lol. There was a decent transition into more serious drama from the episodic stuff. The ZEBRA SPHERE episode was where I could tell it would all be down hill from there. There's a lot I could say, but I'm still processing it all lol. There's a bit of animation in episode 20 that looked straight out of a film, I was really impressed. Compare that to the storyboards and reused animation of the last two episodes lol, they must have blown their budget. The stuff with Kaoru seemed oddly rushed, I'm assuming for similar reasons. Poor Shinji never did want to pilot that robot.

I still need to watch End of Eva, but I'll do that a little later.

Agreed, that's definitely the timeframe where the rollercoaster peaks. I personally think the kiss in episode 15 is the flashpoint, and the real downward spiral begins after the events of episode 19.

According to Eva Monkey (who's always seemed a pretty reliable source to me), the story behind the last two episodes is that Anno mismanaged the project schedule and ran out of time rather than money.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Blu-ray for NGE/Death/EoE coming in 2021 to North America (GKIDS, including digital download) and U.K (Anime Ltd). No idea if the dub will be ADV or Netflix, or if a new one (rofl) will be commissioned.
I'm under the impression that the ADV dub is stuck in legal limbo, so I have to imagine it will be the Netflix one. I'd fucking laugh if they made a third dub though. I'll get that when it comes around anyway, though I may or may not have bought the old platinum set already lol.)

Agreed, that's definitely the timeframe where the rollercoaster peaks. I personally think the kiss in episode 15 is the flashpoint, and the real downward spiral begins after the events of episode 19.
One thing that impressed me was how Asuka's self-loathing just builds and builds on itself, and that never resolves into a redemption arc where she learns to be better. She's just a depressed shell and that's where her character leaves off. I have to imagine she gets back into her groove a bit in EOE, but I know that's not a happy ending to the story anyway lol.

According to Eva Monkey (who's always seemed a pretty reliable source to me), the story behind the last two episodes is that Anno mismanaged the project schedule and ran out of time rather than money.
Yeah that makes sense too. I feel like there must have been more planned for the last few episodes than what we saw. I just wonder how it was resolved to just do existential crisis for the final two episodes. I'm probably going to do some reading about the behind the scenes stuff when I have time.

Top Bottom