Fat People

Atticus

Kissed by Fire
They do that on either side, really.

My ex used to . . . he said this comment one time that bothered me and now that I think about it, it still kind of does. When I told him that I was considered for modeling which I found to be really offensive (since they're usually so skinny) he'd said that he wasn't surprised because, "well look at how skinny you are."

I mean the one you love saying that--that's like saying that you're a poster child for anorexic people everywhere. I get ridiculed, people who have eating disordersget ridiculed. It's hard. Period. It's hard for people on either spectrum to understand what it's like to be something they're not. I can't say that I know what it's like to be overweight and to be judged by everyone all the time but I do know what it's like to be underweight and to be pressured to gain "a few extra pounds--10 or 20 would be fine."

And I know what it's like to feel like an absolute failure when you realized that you went to bed hungry because you couldn't stomach your dinner. I used to love being slim too, really. I used to embrace it because the models I'd see were thin as well. But when I started to get malnourished and lacked the proper vitamins and nutrients to help me get through the day, that's when I realized I had a problem.

It's just hard on both sides. No one side is worse or harder than the next because they're extreme.

Wait what? That sounds pretty serious not being able to eat. Why?

Edit: And another thought. If you are afraid to go out and exercise because of the looks and stuff. You could go out with friends that don't care how you look and do it. There is strength in numbers.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Maybe some people are confident with how they look and they are the ones that walk around in bikinis getting tans and whatnot but most of us aren't very confident at all. We're just as scared to take off our shirt as the next fat guy.

Trust me. Fat is not who you are. Its like saying shy is who someone is but its not. Shy is just a mask that hides the true you.

That's fair. Fat isn't who a person is, but when people will only look at you as a fat person and often judge you firstly on that appearance, then it certainly becomes the main part of who you are. So many people are opted out of opportunities just because they're a little overweight, not even fat.

It's hard for people on either spectrum to understand what it's like to be something they're not. I can't say that I know what it's like to be overweight and to be judged by everyone

This pretty much summarizes the thread.

Teva

hai a/s/l plz?
AKA
Queen of Sunshine / QoS / Suiseiseki / Desudesudesu / Teva / Teva'ni
Do they know what you have? That sounds pretty serious not being able to eat.

They do. They just uh tell me to eat or get frustrated with it. I was ALWAYS the kids that dumped half of my food away, looked at myself and felt really weird about my body image. I always felt that I could gain more but I didn't know how to control my inability to eat.

I think I've only gained a substantial amount of weight ONCE in my life and that was when I was nine and I was vacationing in Jamaica. They had to sit there and watch me polish off my plate against my will for a whole year until I'd gained about 10 pounds. When I came back here I lost all of that weight.

Atticus

Kissed by Fire
That's fair. Fat isn't who a person is, but when people will only look at you as a fat person and often judge you firstly on that appearance, then it certainly becomes the main part of who you are. So many people are opted out of opportunities just because they're a little overweight, not even fat.
The greatest hurdle of my life was learning to not care what people think of me and just being myself. Everyone can do that.

edit: ^that's serious stuffs. I have a friend that's really skinny and gets crap for it too but she eats about as much as me so eh... not much she can do about it. Your case is a bit different though. Why can't you eat that much? Do you just get full?

Last edited:

Teva

hai a/s/l plz?
AKA
Yes, but not everyone is as strong as you are Atti. :monster:

fgj. :monster:

Seriously not everyone sees themselves as worthy of being complimeted or being pretty or socially acceptable in society and all that. It's hard for some people to really be comfortable in their own skin, hell it's hard for me a good deal of the time to be that way.

Atticus

Kissed by Fire
If I could let you play a day of sports healthy and all, and the happiness that comes from that, you wouldn't let anything stop you from getting back to that. It is so worth it serious. It is so much more important than caring about what anyone says. If I lived by you I'd go play sports with you. I'd go swimming with you and stuff. It would be fun. Tuesdays I play soccer, Wednesdays, Ultimate frisbee, Thursday Tennis... maybe softball soon. IT IS SO FUN.

Teva

hai a/s/l plz?
AKA
The greatest hurdle of my life was learning to not care what people think of me and just being myself. Everyone can do that.

edit: ^that's serious stuffs. I have a friend that's really skinny and gets crap for it too but she eats about as much as me so eh... not much she can do about it. Your case is a bit different though. Why can't you eat that much? Do you just get full?

Um I guess a lot of it is a psychological thing or whatever. No one really knows. My mom didn't think to bring it up with the neurologists/other peeps that were in charge of me when I was old enough to start eating food. I've always had a problem with textured foods (i.e.: I hate tomatoes and stuff), or the way certain foods were prepared (i.e.: vegetables have to be chopped finely) and even then the challenge is actually feeling motivated to finish it.

It's like when I eat something I get sick--like I literally feel nauseous. After that the nausea usually intensifies to the point where I feel like throwing up and in order to avoid that I just throw food away. I've learned to mask it and control it somewhat over the years but it occasionally pops up. I mean I eat fairly regularly now but I don't gain weight like at all or if I do then it's only like one or two pounds. It's all very odd.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
EVERYONE GETS JUDGED.

I have a chest problem which leaves kind of an indent thing in my chest but I go swimming anyway because its fun. Screw other people. Hell there's this kid I know with no arms that's a better swimmer I know than most people. He gets looks all the time but he's cool with that.

Trust me. Just do it because getting out and getting the blood pumping feels so good.

DUDE! I know a guy with an indent in his chest. He's always seen it as something to be proud of, since most people think it's kind of awesome. XD

I think he may have even put chips in it before just so that he could gloat that he has his own built in bowl. XD

Okay first of all, as a fat person, I have to say fuck every one of you.

Or how about fuck you Channy you aren't fat! You're like half my size. ¬_¬ I've seen your pics...

srsly

Last edited:

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
Do you have pectus excavatum?

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Oh.

That may be what my friend has but he isn't nearly as severe as that dude in that pic is. :/

Teva

hai a/s/l plz?
AKA
Oh.

That may be what my friend has but he isn't nearly as severe as that dude in that pic is. :/

Hm yes there are ways to grade the severity as explained here:

One such index is the Backer ratio which grades severity of deformity based on the ratio between the diameter of the vertebral body nearest to xiphosternal junction and the distance between the xiphosternal junction and the nearest vertebral body.[11] More recently the Haller index has been used based on CT scan measurements. An index over 3.25 is often defined as severe.

So I think it's safe to assume that your friend (if he has it) has an index below 3.25.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
If I could let you play a day of sports healthy and all, and the happiness that comes from that, you wouldn't let anything stop you from getting back to that. It is so worth it serious. It is so much more important than caring about what anyone says. If I lived by you I'd go play sports with you. I'd go swimming with you and stuff. It would be fun. Tuesdays I play soccer, Wednesdays, Ultimate frisbee, Thursday Tennis... maybe softball soon. IT IS SO FUN.

See the thing with my overweightness was I couldn't play a lot of sports because I had dislocating knees. Now that ones fixed and the other will be too, I'll be more free with my activity and not so paranoid about collapsing randomly.

Sports are over rated. ;-; But I'd play with you too

Or how about fuck you Channy you aren't fat! You're like half my size. ¬_¬ I've seen your pics...

srsly

I will gladly pm battle compare our weights to prove to you that I am in fact, not half your size. :monster:

Atticus

Kissed by Fire
Huh. I guess I do have that. o.O

Though like Tennyo's friend, its not that bad. Its noticeable though and probably does effect respiratory function a bit. I ought to look into the nuss procedure.

well thnk u for the info.

I got another prob too. I had braces for 7 yrs but the orthodontist gave up on me so now my teeth are shit.

& That's good to hear, Channy.

Last edited:

Teva

hai a/s/l plz?
AKA
Huh. I guess I do. o.O

Though like Tennyo's friend, its not that bad. Its noticeable though and probably does effect respiratory function a bit. I ought to look into the nuss procedure.

well thnk u for the info.

no problem. :glomp:

And on that note, I'm happy because I was able to actually sit down and eat regularly today -- well for the most part. Breakfast was a challenge which pissed me off. But lunch and stuff was good.

Atticus

Kissed by Fire
no problem. :glomp:

And on that note, I'm happy because I was able to actually sit down and eat regularly today -- well for the most part. Breakfast was a challenge which pissed me off. But lunch and stuff was good.

That is an interesting psychological issue. Its like a phobia to food. I wonder why... and its not really annorexia... its just... alergic or something...

Teva

hai a/s/l plz?
AKA
That is an interesting psychological issue. Its like a phobia to food. I wonder why...

I don't know. Yeah it's like a weird selective phobia to food. I hate doing this, always sticking the 'because I was premature' label on everything, but I think it might apply a bit here. I did have a grade three bleed after all and that lack of oxygen in the brain could've damaged something there--receptors, parts of the frontal lobes, who knows? It might have scrambled up the part of my brain that controls my ability to taste and to perceive taste and to feel the textures of foods but that's a stretch though.

It could be a weird version of this: Sitophobia or Sitiophobia- Fear of food or eating. (Cibophobia)

Not sure though . . .

Top Bottom