Fat Princess: Helping to create...

Munatik

Beacause I am a puppet
..."a new generation of fat-hating, heteronormative assholes"? Or should these critics STFU and get over it?

Linky to article

Linky to a gameplay video

With Fat Princess slated to come out this year, some of you may have caught some wind of this little controversy surrounding the title and its major objective--retrieving a kidnapped princess, while the you/the enemy has fattened her to make the rescue attempt more difficult. To some this may seem like just a clever game mechanic amidst a cutesy action-strategy game, but to others it's nothing short of offensive.

article said:
Melissa McEwan of Shakesville writes: "Congrats on your awesome new game, Sony. I'm positively thrilled to see such unyielding dedication to creating a new generation of fat-hating, heteronormative assholes,"

Also referenced in the article is Feministgamers.com, which has this to say about why it's important to address sexism in games:

Sexism in videogames may not be the most crucial issue on the top of the feminist agenda, but it’s not entirely unimportant, either. And to be told that there are areas of our culture that should be magically exempted from feminist critiques is a request that smacks of desperation.

The reason that women gamers tend to prefer games that allow them to play female protagonists probably has a lot to do with this identification. But when a game only offers up versions of ourselves that are either highly sexualized or completely helpless, it doesn’t help us in that identification process.

With all this in mind, do you think there is any merit to the outrage over a game like Fat Princess? Would an alternative to a princess have been better, such as a treasure chest or an animal? Do you think games like this helping to reinforce negative images of women? Should games be more responsible in presenting images to the contrary?

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
If someone needs to be explained how that's offensive, then that's pretty fucking sad.

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.
I came across a group on LiveJournal that espoused nothing but serious contempt and loathing for people who are fat, and all because it was unattractive. They even supported anorexia, which really has nothing to do with someone's looks per se, but more importantly is quite deadly. It's very sad. I was very hurt as well as majorly frightened by these people, because they were absolutely horrendous.

As someone who is fat, I can say that the negativity surrounding extra pounds of flesh is stupid. Honestly, I am just as normal as anyone else, I just have - extra pounds of flesh. My issues are my own, but yes, I do wish to lose weight, for my health. Excuses perhaps, by my pounds are highly linked to my psychology and there's more than one reason as to why I'm fat. It's not gotten on my quickly, and it's sadly not going to leave me quickly.

I fear that people have gotten to a point of utter simplicity in their minds that if something doesn't please them right away, it should be gone from the world. It's pretty scary. No one seems to be able to exercise their minds in a thought of looking beyond the shell and seeing if there's beautiful qualities within. Some people need more work than others to bring out their beauty.

As for the game, I don't know what to think. I'm not crazy with what I'm hearing from the critics, and I am pleased to know that some people want to stand up for people who are different from the accepted, media-pushed base of 'normal', but that doesn't exactly mean it's a bad game. Then again, I didn't read the linked articles either. I rather just stay away. Also, sadly, people are going to believe whatever they are going to believe - some may be willing to be open minded and accepting, others will not.

... Eh - I'm nuetral; such a game is bound to bring up issues.

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
While I'm not sure how it promotes heteronormativity (though a Fat Prince option seems cool with me), I can see how this would be annoying to some female gamers, since we're mostly given overly-sexualized girls and wibbling girls who couldn't hold their own if they tried. I liked Chell from Portal; I didn't like Nina from Tekken. For every step forward, there seems to be twenty steps back. A game like Fat Princess is just another game that offers nothing much in the form relatable female characters.

Munatik

Beacause I am a puppet
Personally, I think there is definitely merit to the outrage as well. Why Sony/Titan wouldn't go with something more innocuous like a treasure chest instead makes me suspect that they were trying (and failing) to be funny at best, or intentionally aiming for bad publicity at worst. Or somebody forgot to mention the potential problems with this while they were in the concept stage.

And Arianna, I think you touch on a big issue concerning not only sexism, but all kinds of prejudice and hate-spewing online. I think a lot of people think they can get away with stuff like that because A) it's anonymous, and B) because they are able to meet people who think the same way and thus validate it. It's still wrong, and although I think they have a right to say it (free speech and all), I think it would be best for all if there wasn't stuff like Fat Princess to make a bad joke out of these kinds of issues.

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
@Arianna: Here's why.

internetdickwad.jpg

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
It's meant to be a silly little entertaining game.

People need to get over themselves.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
No dude, it's offensive as shit. There's light entertainment, and then making an entire demographic of women the butt of a video game joke, coupled with the usual female objectification bullshit.

Stuffing the face of a woman so she'll turn fat and be too heavy for anyone to carry, while also making her ugly, has serious offensive connotations that any woman would see. They're not making this shit up.

If you're gonna attribute the characteristic of weight to a game and show it where a woman just sits there and stuffs their face like a cow, it sends a very negative and cold message as to who fat people are. It's cold and rude. If no one calls out shit like that, nothing ever changes and we'd be in the same stale, culturally insensitive and homogensitic hole we were back in the 50's and later.

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
It supposed to be entertaining to keep your helpless princess from being saved by feeding her until she's too fat to be able to move. Now go ask an overweight woman whether that concept is hilarious or offensive. I think you'll get the answer as to why people are getting so upset over this game.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
I guess it's time for me to get offended by the fat characters in fighting games that attack people with their blobs of fat, or puke on people, or throw food.

And Mako, how can you go about this being so very bad, when the entirety of family guy is offensive to everything. Is that ok?

I see why people are offended by this, never said I didn't, but assumptions are always a hoot. I'm saying it's silly to be offended by it when there's much worse shit out there.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Family Guy is comedic satire and slapstick. You definitely are not to take it seriously or to garner any positive message from that. Family Guy makes fun of such stupidity. It doesn't justify it. It'd be like taking South Park seriously. Totally different.

This is a game aimed at children that shows them fat people eating like cows til the point they are so large and distended that they can't even be carried and their clothes no longer fit.

The two are not even in the same league.

Last edited:

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
No dude, it's offensive as shit. There's light entertainment, and then making an entire demographic of women the butt of a video game joke, coupled with the usual female objectification bullshit.

Stuffing the face of a woman so she'll turn fat and be too heavy for anyone to carry, while also making her ugly, has serious offensive connotations that any woman would see. They're not making this shit up.

If you're gonna attribute the characteristic of weight to a game and show it where a woman just sits there and stuffs their face like a cow, it sends a very negative and cold message as to who fat people are. It's cold and rude. If no one calls out shit like that, nothing ever changes and we'd be in the same stale, culturally insensitive and homogensitic hole we were back in the 50's and later.

As a fat woman myself I can completely agree with this post. You're all being insensitive jerks.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Family Guy is comedic satire and slapstick. You definitely are not to take it seriously or to garner any positive message from that. It'd be like taking South Park seriously. Totally different.

This is a game aimed at children that shows them fat people eating like cows til the point they are so large and distended that they can't even be carried and their clothes no longer fit.

The two are not even in the same league.

Oh bullshit, this goddamn game is meant to be comedic and satire. This isn't meant to be taken seriously, and it's not about conveying some goddamn message to the public.

People are picking and choosing here, and attacking because it's a damn video game, and it's not aimed at children, it's meant for everyone.

People aren't going to view overweight people in any worse of a light because of this game, they'll do it people they're humans.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Where's the satire? There's no critique or message regarding culture and society. It's just some prince stuffing the face of a meek woman who eats and eats until she's fat so no one can carry her. Where's the satirical commentary?

And if the game is being played by children, its for children too. And that's a shit message to show and insensitive. Does the fact its OFFENSIVE to women and women who are overweight not mean anything? It's fucking ridiculous.

And yeah, they are. At the very least it'll reinforce the same negative, and insulting societal connotations of fat people having no self control and eating to excess until their fat and ugly.

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
It's meant to be a silly little entertaining game.

People need to get over themselves.

I actually very much agree with this. I think the game is cute and hilarious. I think it's funny that an outrage comes from this game, but games like Grand Theft Auto (killing and picking up hookers) is completely fine and isn't considered wrong at all.

Stuffing the face of a woman so she'll turn fat and be too heavy for anyone to carry, while also making her ugly, has serious offensive connotations that any woman would see.

I actually thought the Princess was kinda cute. :awesome: I'm a woman, but I don't see any offense at all to this game. What if it were "fat prince" instead of princess? I can bet anything that no-one would be complaining then. I dislike when feminists/females in general, have to make everything out to get them.

Now go ask an overweight woman whether that concept is hilarious or offensive. I think you'll get the answer as to why people are getting so upset over this game.

Ah, very good point. Now ask a skinny woman how she feels about being portrayed as a hooker, or a slutty volleyball player with big boobs in other games. No matter where you go, or what is out there- someone is going to be offended. I think people are taking this way too seriously.

get offended by the fat characters in fighting games that attack people with their blobs of fat, or puke on people, or throw food.

Let's cancel DBZ for creating Majin Buu. Let's ban Mario games for creating Wario.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Who the hell said no one made a stink about Grand Theft Auto and its offensiveness? That's bullshit because they did. I have no clue how you missed it.

And good for you that you don't, but plenty others do and that doesn't change a thing.

If it were prince it'd still be insulting to people who are overweight. You're missing the point. It's not just about the gender, it's about the issue of weight AND gender. Which couples with the fact that women in media are held to an unrealistic standard of beauty and thus they paint overweight people negatively by saying they lack control over their diet or that they're lazy and stupid for not making themselves skinnier. And this game pretty much enforces that connotation by having a woman mindlessly eat to the point she's so fat she can't move or be carried. It's retarded.

Wow...and Majin Buu isn't a human. It's a monster. Not only that, but Majin Buu isn't just fat. He changes shape again and again. And Wario isn't just about him EATING TO THE POINT HE CAN'T MOVE. You're missing the point.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
I think somebody is suffering from a little bit of weight related rage tonight.

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
I actually thought the Princess was kinda cute. :awesome: I'm a woman, but I don't see any offense at all to this game. What if it were "fat prince" instead of princess? I can bet anything that no-one would be complaining then. I dislike when feminists/females in general, have to make everything out to get them.
I'd actually prefer if there was a fat prince option. Or, even more, if you had to steal each other's treasure chests and it get harder as you fill it with more wealth. If that were the case, no one would be offended.

Ah, very good point. Now ask a skinny woman how she feels about being portrayed as a hooker, or a slutty volleyball player with big boobs in other games. No matter where you go, or what is out there- someone is going to be offended. I think people are taking this way too seriously.
Maybe we are, and maybe we shouldn't be so uptight. But I do wish there were more girls in video games that weren't just there as eyecandy or as jokes to the rest of the population. It's why I like Heather, Freya and the like.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
@Ashes

Keep acting like a tit, it does you good. Why don't you actually post on the subject and discussion at hand instead trying to be witty? Because its spam and has no value to the discussion.

@Ninra

It still is stupid, whether its a woman or a man. I'm sorry, but portraying humans as cows who just eat and eat is just a real shitty representation.

And no, it's not uptight. Creativity and game design does not exist in a cultural vacuum. It too, carries societal connotations and nuances that should be critiqued and commented on when offensive.

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
Who the hell said no one made a stink about Grand Theft Auto and its offensiveness? That's bullshit because they did. I have no clue how you missed it.

I've heard small complaints. I never knew it got articles or anything like that. There are plenty of other games that have/haven't gotten complaints when they do/don't deserve it. My entire point in my entire post is that no matter what, someone is going to be offended. People have to realize that not everything is about them or about others. It's a Kiradamn video game.

but plenty others do and that doesn't change a thing.

And it's too bad for them that they don't realize that this is a fictional game that isn't trying to slander them personally. Are you suggesting that we ban television, video games, and any type of media out there, because people ARE offended? I saw you defending Family Guy awhile back, and I just had to giggle. As if satire is an excuse to let some things fly, and other things fail. As 'satire' as it may be, it still offends plenty of people. People of color, women, 'fat' people, 'ugly' people, men, children, etc.

If it were prince it'd still be insulting to people who are overweight. You're missing the point. It's not just about the gender, it's about the issue of weight AND gender.

No, I get the weight part of it as well. I'm saying that if it were some fat guy, no-one would care. I'm sure SOME over-weight people would be offended, but it wouldn't be as big of an issue as it is at the moment. Because some women have to make themselves the center of attention. It means NOTHING.

Guess what? Fat Princess isn't REAL either, she's a work of fiction. Nothing to get upset about, imo.

But I do wish there were more girls in video games that weren't just there as eyecandy or as jokes to the rest of the population. It's why I like Heather, Freya and the like.

I agree, Nin. I honestly get more offended at cliche stereotypical portrayals of women, than this whole overweight business. Even then, I don't let it get to me much. It's not worth it, and I do believe it's being too touchy.

Last edited:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Where's the satire? There's no critique or message regarding culture and society. It's just some prince stuffing the face of a meek woman who eats and eats until she's fat so no one can carry her. Where's the satirical commentary?

In the game? Have you played it?

Even if it's not there, there's no reason to take this anymore seriously than that episode of Family guy where Lois eats herself into a giant blob of crap because her husband isn't sleeping with her, and everyone regards her as an unattractive cow.

You can't have it both ways.
And if the game is being played by children, its for children too. And that's a shit message to show and insensitive. Does the fact its OFFENSIVE to women and women who are overweight not mean anything? It's fucking ridiculous.
I take back what I said, I was wrong, IT'S NOT FOR KIDS AT ALL. The game is full of blood, and the system is far too complicated for children. The developers also made it pretty clear this isn't for kids themselves.
And yeah, they are. At the very least it'll reinforce the same negative, and insulting societal connotations of fat people having no self control and eating to excess until their fat and ugly.
What? That ridiculously overweight women are hard to move? The women are pretty much being forced to eat if you look at the damn game. They're kept in cages and have food thrown at them.

And what the fuck, this isn't meant to be representative of anyone it's supposed to be over the top and ridiculous, as represented by the visuals, music, and presentation.

Fuck,the characters barely look like people.
Maybe we are, and maybe we shouldn't be so uptight. But I do wish there were more girls in video games that weren't just there as eyecandy or as jokes to the rest of the population.
There's a lot of them though, they just don't stand out as much.

Last edited:

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
Guess what? Fat Princess isn't REAL either, she's a work of fiction. Nothing to get upset about, imo.
I'm sorry, but that's like saying I shouldn't get upset with Twilight's sexist portrayal of it's characters because it's a work of fiction. Just because it's a work of fiction doesn't make something any less offensive.

@Dacon
There are? I only know of some survival horror games, Portal and some JRPGs. Are there more?

Last edited:

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
@Ashes

Keep acting like a tit, it does you good. Why don't you actually post on the subject and discussion at hand instead trying to be witty. Because its spam and has no value to the discussion.
It's not like I need to try to be witty, I manage just fine without :awesome:

There isn't really much to add to the discussion tbh, I think you're taking it and yourself far too seriously tonight. It's just a harmless game and just like GTA the only people who are going to be offended by it are those who are offended much too easily (a point you just proved on your own). Not everything needs to be critically analysed to such an extent, some things should be allowed to be taken at face value as the harmless fun they are.

Dumb Apple

Soul Wrought of Terra Corrupt
AKA
Geostigma, Omega Gist
I guess I just shrugged it off because, GASP?! A video game that centers around rescuing a Princess? How sexist!

Mario, Zelda, anyone? What about the critically acclaimed games Ico and Braid? It's nothing new or unusual, and don't know why people have decided to kick up a fuss over a cell shaded comedic RTS.

And yes, it's supposed to funny. Maybe not satirical, but it wasn't meant to taken seriously: " comic medieval battle royale", as stated on the official site.

Makes me think people are offended because it's a fat princess. :awesome: It's ok to have a hapless princess as long as she's attractive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom