FF Newbie Plays FF7 Remake

• Thread starter Deleted member 13557
  • Start date

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Had I known you would go for that, I'd have advised never using items in your initial playthrough. After hearing what a bitch Hard Mode is and that you can't use items for it anyway, I did my regular difficulty playthrough just relying on materia for restorative needs.

Reactions: Fiz

Fiz

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Eh?
Had I known you would go for that, I'd have advised never using items in your initial playthrough. After hearing what a bitch Hard Mode is and that you can't use items for it anyway, I did my regular difficulty playthrough just relying on materia for restorative needs.

This caught me out completely.

I wish they had implemented difficulties more like Tales of though. Easy, Normal, Moderate, Hard, Hard+/Extreme for post game. I felt easy was ridiculous, Normal was erratic but generally too easy and Hard was... I wanted something in between for the first playthrough.

D

Deleted member 13557

Chakra and pray materia are godsends in hard mode, since they don't even require MP. Revival is obviously great too. Given Aerith maxed out magnify + healing just to be safe

D

Deleted member 13557

Hard mode Hell House is where the game expects you to really understand the battle mechanics. I had a rough time when I did it the first time too, but he's a big ol' pushover once you understand what to do. He's easily staggered if you exploit his elemental weaknesses as they come, FYI.
Exploiting his elemental weaknesses is all well and good (basically, equip maxed out ice materia and you're good), but that didn't prevent tonberry insta-kills, and the double sweeper assault.

Dealt with the tonberry's by abusing triple slash, and for the final phase I used Leviathan. Finished it of with Ascension for style points.

D

Deleted member 13557

Equipping revive on both of 'em helped too, lol. First boss which made me really think about what materia I should use.

Also made me realise that maxing out HP+ is probably not a bad idea.

D

Deleted member 13557

If you keep up the pressure enough the sweepers never have time to come out lol
I'd typically use focused thrust to build pressure, and then nail it with ray of judgement when it's staggered. Usually, a cutscene follows.

Huh, didn't know you could bypass the sweepers like that. That's interesting.

Stiggie

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Stiggie
I've only just watched the trailer for FF XVI. Looks pretty good!

Oh, and I've bought myself FF IX. I'll probably do a thoughts thread or something when I eventually beat that.
Dude, this is going to be a reply to this comment, but I came here specifically to comment this anyway by coincidence.

I started playing through FFIX again with my best mate, since it's my favorite game of all time and he's had to endure me talking about it for years now, and it just hit me again how insanely, absurdly good this freaking game is. Just the more I think about it the more it blows my freaking mind, I've just been listening to "top 10 best songs from FFIX" compilations for the past hour and crying. When playing remake and FFVII I was thinking "you know what, this really is even better than I remember, maybe it is better than IX", then I started playing again and all I could think was "....nah, holy shit this is good".

That game is just brilliant as you play it, and then somehow gets better and better the more you think about is, listen to the songs, go over the characters, their themes, what they go through, etc. I have a 100+ OST playlist here and there is not a single song in it that isn't complete fire.

It's too bad that many dismiss it because at first glance it seems less serious and dark than some of the others because of the visuals, but like my friend said "Wow, this is soooo much darker than FFVII, this is some of the darkest shit I've ever seen".

Will you play it on steam? Because if so I'd recommend using the Moguri Mod, it really improves the quality of the backgrounds along with some other quality of life improvements.

Top Bottom