FF Newbie Plays FF7 Remake

• Thread starter Deleted member 13557
  • Start date

Fiz

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Eh?
Did it. I don't think I've ever focused so hard

You have not reached the pinnacle of Hell House yet... Now... Solo it with Cloud... then... with Aerith :D

Not done this myself but have done some of the summons and things with Tifa or Aerith. I suspect Aerith would be the easier for Hell House.

Fiz

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Eh?
Dude, this is going to be a reply to this comment, but I came here specifically to comment this anyway by coincidence.

I started playing through FFIX again with my best mate, since it's my favorite game of all time and he's had to endure me talking about it for years now, and it just hit me again how insanely, absurdly good this freaking game is. Just the more I think about it the more it blows my freaking mind, I've just been listening to "top 10 best songs from FFIX" compilations for the past hour and crying. When playing remake and FFVII I was thinking "you know what, this really is even better than I remember, maybe it is better than IX", then I started playing again and all I could think was "....nah, holy shit this is good".

That game is just brilliant as you play it, and then somehow gets better and better the more you think about is, listen to the songs, go over the characters, their themes, what they go through, etc. I have a 100+ OST playlist here and there is not a single song in it that isn't complete fire.

It's too bad that many dismiss it because at first glance it seems less serious and dark than some of the others because of the visuals, but like my friend said "Wow, this is soooo much darker than FFVII, this is some of the darkest shit I've ever seen".

Will you play it on steam? Because if so I'd recommend using the Moguri Mod, it really improves the quality of the backgrounds along with some other quality of life improvements.

I agree, IX is one of my favourites. There is something charming about it.

D

Deleted member 13557

I started playing through FFIX again with my best mate, since it's my favorite game of all time and he's had to endure me talking about it for years now, and it just hit me again how insanely, absurdly good this freaking game is.
Man, that's a way to make me play this game sooner!

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
So, just out of curiosity, what are all of your favourite Final Fantasy games?

IX and VII are pinnacle achievements in storytelling — in any medium. I just finished IX again last night, my sixth playthrough. Like classic literature, I gain new insight and love for life with each pass through those two games. The buy-in for IX is that it presents itself as a light-hearted fairy tale full of colourful characters. The buy-in for VII is that it’s a cinematic action movie starring you. Both make good on this promise and so much more.

VI and VIII are also beloved to me and are definitely among the most solid FFs. The buy-in for VI is similar to IX, although a bit heavier, and the buy-in for VIII similar to VII, although less action movie and more “boarding school mystery novel”. VIII is the first (and ostensibly the best) game by the NKN team (Nomura/Kitase/Nojima) and VI is one of the most beautiful pixel art games ever. Both have soundtracks that will bring you to tears. That said, I don’t consider them mandatory, because I can see how their stories won’t grab everyone. Compared to VII and IX, VI seems just a bit shallow and VIII is just a bit too deep.

XII would round out a Top 5 list. The setting and villains are second-to-none. Visuals are never my priority but it’s also fabulous looking.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I've personally been of the mind that VII has the best overall story, while IX has the best storytelling, the best pacing.

Overall, I would not need any justification from anyone saying that VI, VII, IX or X is their favorite. I feel I would know why immediately. If Tactics counts, my personal order is VII, Tactics, and then either IX, VI, or X depending mostly on which I played most recently :P

Stiggie

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Stiggie
I've personally been of the mind that VII has the best overall story, while IX has the best storytelling, the best pacing.

Overall, I would not need any justification from anyone saying that VI, VII, IX or X is their favorite. I feel I would know why immediately. If Tactics counts, my personal order is VII, Tactics, and then either IX, VI, or X depending mostly on which I played most recently :P

I've never played tactics, making it basically the only one I've never played, and considering how much people love it I really should.

My list is probably:
1: FFIX
2: FFVII (including compilation titles, because it's really CC that made me really appreciate VII more as well).
3: FFX

(and if I get to count Nier:automata, then that would round off my top3 instead of FFX).

To me, FFIX is just an example of a perfect game, I could highlight every aspect of that game and go on for hours about why the way it handled said aspect just perfectly. From the opera style presentation, to the cutscene choice, to characters, to the summonings, to the music, to the worldbuilding, to the polish, to the atmosphere, to the storytelling, to the sidecharacters, to the pacing.

Somehow, even though I've played FFIX over 10 times I think in my life, I've still discovered something I didn't know about it every single time I've played it, to the point where I actively noticed it as a pattern several playthroughs ago.

I mean, this game has a sidequest that wasn't discovered until 13 YEARS after it's release, how is that even possible XD

D

Deleted member 13557

I guess I can grind some of the Shinra VR missions to level up my materia, lol

Top Bottom