FF7 Headcanons and Discussion

I never actually considered Jenova to be 'evil', because I always assumed that she was acting entirely out of instinct. And I thought that someone mentioned that the Cetra were actually incredibly violent in game. But I'm not entirely sure.

The only reference to Cetra *possibly* being violent, and not necessarily in an evil and corrupt fashion, is by Yuffie on the Highwind. Even then it's only her guessing.

{Yuffie}
“{Cloud}……urp……ugh.”
“You know, I was thinking……phew……
Why does Materia always have
something to do with
battles or magic?”
“I bet the Ancients must've always been fighting.”
“It must've been……ugh……terrible……”

Talk to Yuffie when Bugenhagen is on board the Highwind to see this dialogue.

@Ninja'd

Splintered

unsavory tart
Rufus doesn't feel guilty for what he has done, he just knows what works and when- and in order to gain influence he's got to play by new rules. He'll gain prominence once again.

This might actually contradict canon (I have yet to read Case of Shinra) but I can't picture Rufus as anything but a magnificent bastard.

Splintered

unsavory tart
Well, trying to execute Tifa and Barret to save face. Granted, they managed to escape, but he wouldn't have blinked at killing them.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
@tifa being a virgin:

In what world does a beautiful hormonal teenage girl not have sex at least once?

This one, for one.
Many do. Many don't.

yeah, i imagine her first time was either when she was with some guy she was dating in nibelheim or it was some point after it'd been burned down in some sporadic act of 'i want to be normal again'

She was 14-15 when Nibel burned, and went pretty quickly into eco-terrorism after that. Certainly, it's possible, but it seems unlikely that she'd have the desire in Nibelheim- she was still a very young girl with a romantic dream of waiting for a hero- or care afterwards- as an ecoterrorist focused on revenge.

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
what does her wanting revenge have to do with her having sex

i mean seriously

that has nothing to do with anything; she managed to still be friendly and popular enough to make a name for herself in sector 7, so it's not even like she was a lone ranger on her rampage of revenge so how would that deter her from having at least casual sex?

shit maybe she and biggs had sex a few times who knows

actually i would watch that sex tape............................

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I also have to pitch in with the Jenova isn't evil crowd, with some more detailed headcanon about what happened between the Cetra & her. I've always had this idea about Jenova since I first saw the appearance of Red Lifestream when Sephiroth dies in FFVII.

Reunion is more than just a cellular regenerative capability. It has to do with the very nature of how alien Jenova is as a lifeform. She's made of an energy that's so foreign that it is actually incapable or returning to the Planet and joining the Lifestream. She travels huge distances in space via a cataclysmic meteor, with only minimal semblance of control over where she goes. When she arrives, the first thing she attempts to turn herself into people recognized by the locals and assimilate, but because it's their dead relatives, she's instantly shunned, and there's a conflict that starts over it. The Cetra found out that even if you obliterate Jenova's cellular material into Lifestream energy, it's so foreign that it can't merge into Gaia's lifestream, and coalesces back towards her body.

Their first attempt to defeat her involved injuring her greatly enough that they were able capture some of her lifestream energy and condense it into a Materia that they could use to defeat her. Instead of doing what they intended, it just solidified her own magic into a Materia that was useless to them, because as a weapon- it would kill the planet. That's where the Black Materia came from, and why it's meant to be used by channelling the energy from a planetary wound, and not weilded by a single person. Although it failed as a weapon, it allowed them to study the magic, and craft one that could oppose it - the White Materia - that they then kept to themselves and passed down from one generation to the next. The Cetra then took the Black Materia, and because of Jenova's shapeshifting magic, they were able to transform the Materia itself into the Temple in order to lock it away. Unable to defeat Jenova, they sealed her away to prevent her from regenerating or summoning Reunion, but this is also why she/Sephiroth now needs the Black Materia to complete Reunion, because it contains the crystalized Lifestream that was taken from her, and she's incomplete without it.

X :neo:

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
what does her wanting revenge have to do with her having sex

i mean seriously

It could have any number of things to do with her deciding not to have sex as it would be a distraction from her goals. Raising money and improving public image for the organization would not.

that has nothing to do with anything; she managed to still be friendly and popular enough to make a name for herself in sector 7, so it's not even like she was a lone ranger on her rampage of revenge so how would that deter her from having at least casual sex?

Okay, that asks the question- is Tifa the sort of person who would engage in casual sex? From everything seen, she probably isn't.
Is there any evidence Tifa actually engaged anyone in any sort of romance in her years with AVALANCHE? Also no. Johnny, our most likely suspect, never got anywhere by his own admission.

shit maybe she and biggs had sex a few times who knows

And maybe Aerith selling flowers is a cover for her real status as drug queen of all Midgar. Who knows. Or maybe Moral Crisis is based on what she actually did in the time between the Nibelheim Massacre and getting Zack's last letter.
There's all sorts of things that could have hypothetically happened if we take the reigns off, but I thought 'head canon' was limited to likely and implied by the evidence. Not what we want to happen.

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
Okay, that asks the question- is Tifa the sort of person who would engage in casual sex? From everything seen, she probably isn't.

hurr hurr shy girls don't have sex drives hurr hurr

There's all sorts of things that could have hypothetically happened if we take the reigns off, but I thought 'head canon' was limited to likely and implied by the evidence.

Incredibly beautiful teenage girl desperately seeking companionship and adored by nearly everyone she meets.

yeah the thought of her having sex is just SO OUT THERE

Fairheartstrife

[no fucks given]
AKA
FHS, that cloti bitch
There's all sorts of things that could have hypothetically happened if we take the reigns off, but I thought 'head canon' was limited to likely and implied by the evidence. Not what we want to happen.

Head-canon simply infers to an interpretation that is 'true' for the person creating it. The reigns ARE off on head-canon. Ask any Draco x Hermione shipper or HrH shipper or any shipper for that matter. Head canon is speculative imagination at best--sheer bs at worst, but there's no "rules" to what someone can assert as their own personal head-canon. As much as I disagree with the idea that Tifa had sex--casual or otherwise--before Cloud, (for the reasons I already stated) it doesn't diminish Zee's (or anyone else's) belief that she may have. It's their personal opinions--which, like it or not--aren't bound and restricted by what Ryu says head-canon is supposed to be.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
I'm just still a bit confused about the difference between head canon and fanon. The original post seems to imply there is one.

Fairheartstrife

[no fucks given]
AKA
FHS, that cloti bitch
I'm just still a bit confused about the difference between head canon and fanon. The original post seems to imply there is one.

Head canon is taking the available compilation (book/game/movie/ etc) and creating extenuating circumstances that either explain or elaborate on things in the plot that may be missing or never covered. Fanon, is making up things that never happened period or expanding upon a work with new events.

Hope that helped.

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu

You REALLY need to do something about this terrible habit of strawmanning the fuck out of people's arguments.
I never said they don't have sex drives. I never even implied that. Does Tifa seem like the person who would go out and casually have sex to alleviate her sexual frustrations, or would she take care of it personally, if at all?

Incredibly beautiful teenage girl desperately seeking companionship

Assumption, or based on evidence?

and adored by nearly everyone she meets.

No. It's not out there, there's just no particular reason to think that this teenage girl acted so out of character as to hook up with someone just for sexual gratification, and no evidence she had any romances during this period. But apparently the idea of her not bothering to have sex with someone else for any reason, is 'just SO OUT THERE' to you.

I gotta wonder the fuck why.

Like I said, some do. Some don't. Evidence would seem to paint Tifa as in those that didn't for whatever reason. This suggestion seems to offend you.

Why?

OneWingedDemon

NOT AMUSED
In what world does a beautiful hormonal teenage girl not have sex at least once?
This one. Many of them are even good looking. GASP. I know, what a remarkable occurence.
It's not that her having sex is somehow "out there". It's you claiming that no pretty young girl wouldn't have sex that's fucking ridiculous.

That having been said, I think Sephiroth was, and definitely now is, asexual.

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
Head canon is taking the available compilation (book/game/movie/ etc) and creating extenuating circumstances that either explain or elaborate on things in the plot that may be missing or never covered. Fanon, is making up things that never happened period or expanding upon a work with new events.

Hope that helped.

So the only effective difference is that one's not allowed to seriously violate the existing continuty?
You're still blatantly making shit up to reach a desired conclusion. That's fanon. It's just limited fanon.

This one. Many of them are even good looking. GASP. I know, what a remarkable occurence.

It's not that her having sex is somehow "out there". It's you claiming that no pretty young girl wouldn't have sex that's fucking ridiculous.

That having been said, I think Sephiroth was, and definitely now is, asexual.

He's Cactuarsexual.

As long as we get to make up whatever we like. That poem was funny, dammit.

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
pfffffffffffffffft ahahhahhaaaaa

the idea of virginal tifa is almost as hilarious as virginal aeris

Fairheartstrife

[no fucks given]
AKA
FHS, that cloti bitch
So the only effective difference is that one's not allowed to seriously violate the existing continuty?
You're still blatantly making shit up to reach a desired conclusion. That's fanon. It's just limited fanon.

Yes. So, head-canon is fanon. So what?

Head-canon: Tseng is emotionless due to a shady childhood history that he refuses to divulge.

Bordering on Fanon: Tseng and Zack had sex in the helicopter causing it to crash in the mountains.

Fanon: A new character named Gary-Stu finds Zack and revives him, and takes him to Wutai where Zack--with amnesia--lives out his days as a trade-for-hire.

Technically all are fanon, for sure, as it's not specifically originated from the source.

You can disagree with Zee's impression of Tifa. I know I do. But you can't declare her belief blatantly wrong based on the fact that your own opinions don't match up. Do I think Tifa had sex? No. Do I think she even had urges? No. Do I think Aerith was intentionally manipulative and hurtful? Yes. My head-canon says she had attachment issues and knew damn well the effect her comments and actions would have on her 'competition'. Does everyone else have to agree with that? Not at all, but it's how I see the character. in MY head.

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
My head-canon says she had attachment issues and knew damn well the effect her comments and actions would have on her 'competition'. Does everyone else have to agree with that? Not at all, but it's how I see the character. in MY head.

actually i do think aeris is a bit of a bitch but it just makes me like her more.....

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Priscilla. Don't forget the poor child.

Incredibly beautiful teenage girl desperately seeking companionship and adored by nearly everyone she meets.

Because every teenage girl who is beautiful is going to not be too shy to have sex?

Because every teenage girl who is beautiful actually wants to have sex?

I had a sex drive when I was a teenager, too, but I as way to shy to have slept with anyone.

I don't see why Tifa HAS to have sex, really.

I certainly think it's possible that she may have, but it's also possible that she never did.

Last edited:

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
pfffffffffffffffft ahahhahhaaaaa

the idea of virginal tifa is almost as hilarious as virginal aeris

Based on.....?
She's sexy? Cuz that's all you've offered. I suppose sexy 20+ year old virgin women don't exist in your world. Unless you have some other evidence to offer.

Yes. So, head-canon is fanon. So what?

So it shouldn't be called 'canon,' technically. Or presented as materially different from fanon.

Head-canon: Tseng is emotionless due to a shady childhood history that he refuses to divulge.

Bordering on Fanon: Tseng and Zack had sex in the helicopter causing it to crash in the mountains.

Fanon: A new character named Gary-Stu finds Zack and revives him, and takes him to Wutai where Zack--with amnesia--lives out his days as a trade-for-hire.

Technically all are fanon, for sure, as it's not specifically originated from the source.

Technically nothing. They're all fanon. The third is shitty fanon, and the second is out of character fanon. The first is even reasonable fanon. Still fanon.

You can disagree with Zee's impression of Tifa. I know I do. But you can't declare her belief blatantly wrong based on the fact that your own opinions don't match up.

I'm not. I'm saying I find hers a bit unlikely given what else we know of the character.
She, on the other hand, IS declaring mine blatantly wrong.

Do I think Tifa had sex? No. Do I think she even had urges? No. Do I think Aerith was intentionally manipulative and hurtful? Yes. My head-canon says she had attachment issues and knew damn well the effect her comments and actions would have on her 'competition'. Does everyone else have to agree with that? Not at all, but it's how I see the character. in MY head.

Yeah, but what's in your head doesn't trump what's in the story, and if it's going too far, it's got to lose against the story.

Fairheartstrife

[no fucks given]
AKA
FHS, that cloti bitch
I certainly think it's possible that she may have, but it's also possible that she never did.

That's the beauty of head-canon. For Zee, she did. For you and I, she didn't. There's no way for either side to assert their stance as 'more factual' than the other. More likely? Sure, that's debatable, but Tifa having sex versus her being a virgin is really irrelevant to the story, and therefore, no matter what determination you make in your head, it changes notta in the actual canon. :awesome:

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
i'm not saying she HAD 1000% true fact she had sex but

i'm just saying that it's way more than likely that she did

Based on.....?
She's sexy? Cuz that's all you've offered.

actually i think her personality lends more in favor of her being sexually active than against it

but durr opinionz

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
actually i do think aeris is a bit of a bitch but it just makes me like her more.....

I actually agree with this sentiment.

I never thought that she was the delicate flower so many people make her out to be.

I like her better with an attitude than I do with her being a Mary Sue. :P

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
when exactly did i say she HAD to have sex

i'm just saying that it's way more than likely that she did

@tifa being a virgin:

QED.

actually i think her personality lends more in favor of her being sexually active than against it

but durr opinionz

No, not opinions. Claims.
You've made a statement about her personality, not your subjective reaction to it.
I'm curious now. How does her personality lend more favor to the idea that she's sexually active?

Fairheartstrife

[no fucks given]
AKA
FHS, that cloti bitch
So it shouldn't be called 'canon,' technically. Or presented as materially different from fanon.

It's called head-canon, Ryu. It's in YOUR head. It has notta to do with the actual narrative aside from expounding upon it to make sense of things left out or not explored thoroughly. It is fanon--only logically so. unless you know of some other definition for head-canon that I am not aware of or not come across in the past 12 years I've worked in the literary field. Feel free to enlighten me. Head-canon is about as valid as fanfiction in terms of the source material. I am not, in any way, trying to assert that all head-canon has equal merit in terms of being logical or fitting the story/character. However, there is no more 'right' head-canon than there is a right opinion. It's not up for debate. It's completely individual.

Technically nothing. They're all fanon.

Yeah, kinda my point...

The third is shitty fanon, and the second is out of character fanon. The first is even reasonable fanon. Still fanon.

Yes. Again, yes. Is there a reason you're repeating what I said?

I'm not. I'm saying I find hers a bit unlikely given what else we know of the character.

So do I. Doesn't mean I can take that thought in HER head-canon and remove it. It's how SHE sees the character. Also doesn't make it any less valid than my opinion.

She, on the other hand, IS declaring mine blatantly wrong.

As you are hers.

Yeah, but what's in your head doesn't trump what's in the story, and if it's going too far, it's got to lose against the story.

Refresh me where in compilation it specifically states Tifa's a virgin... Otherwise, neither of you have any more 'story-based' merit than the other.

Top Bottom