FFVII Character Details, Easter Eggs, and General What-the-fuckery

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
It's Reno's salt. :monster:

He's mad that he's lost to the dude he spent the past several minutes talking smack to, and he's justifying the loss to himself by attributing it to "beginner's luck."

He's essentially a poor sport. It's like losing a competitive match you think you'd have in the bag and instead, you got trounced. So you justify the loss in your head as having been a result of "luck" instead of the opponent just being good or better than you. It's like self comfort.

Compare it to Rude who didn't talk nearly as much shit, when he got overpowered. He just simply said "Okay then" and steadied himself for more. Rude doesn't underestimate or disrespect those he fights, he treats them seriously.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I guess it's possible, but it still doesn't make a whole lot of sense for Reno to mock the notion that Cloud is "Mr. SOLDIER" or to be surprised that he could lose to a SOLDIER at any rank if they got some hits in.

If he knows nothing about the guy, why take that "Whatcha waitin' for, bodyguard?" approach at all? Dude could be lethal af -- and was.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
But Reno doesn't want to believe Cloud's a SOLDIER or anybody, let alone a 1st class. xD

There's obviously a huge grudge, particularly on Reno's side, between these two dudes. To Reno, Cloud's some scrub, and he was especially wanting to show off how much of a badass he was to Aerith. Cloud's pride was insulted and Cloud wanted to really shut his mouth and teach him a lesson after he kept dancing on his sword and calling him out.

Simply put, Cloud embarrassed him in front of Aerith and the remaining troops Cloud didn't fold/kill in that church. And Reno doesn't want to believe he was clowned and nearly killed by some dude he spent like 10 minutes calling a chump. Reno's got Turk pride, and he thinks he's elite.

kathy202

Pro Adventurer
I assumed "beginner's luck" was just Reno being salty too. Though it's not impossible that they actually know about Cloud.

Anyway, I found it amusing how they were both acting like 9 year olds and Aerith is like the slightly older babysitter going "okay kids, enough is enough? Please??" I just love that whole scene.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
There's obviously a huge grudge, particularly on Reno's side, between these two dudes. To Reno, Cloud's some scrub, and he was especially wanting to show off how much of a badass he was to Aerith. Cloud's pride was insulted and Cloud wanted to really shut his mouth and teach him a lesson after he kept dancing on his sword and calling him out.

Simply put, Cloud embarrassed him in front of Aerith and the remaining troops Cloud didn't fold/kill in that church. And Reno doesn't want to believe he was clowned and nearly killed by some dude he spent like 10 minutes calling a chump. Reno's got Turk pride, and he thinks he's elite.
But he's mocking him before that. :monster:

We'll just have to wait and see where they go with it, I guess.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
If he knew who he was, 'beginner's luck' is a weird thing to say, as he's talking to the dude that killed Sephiroth and was experimented on by Hojo for years. He'd attribute his skills to Hojo or be 'maybe Nibelheim wasn't such a fluke after all.'

As I see it, the thought process is, 'huh, guys got Mako eyes, but I don't know him. That's weird. Lol, he said he's a first, but he can't possibly back that up, must be some scrub with delusions who got too close to a mako pipe -oh shit, he kicked the crap out of me. I'll attribute that to luck, as otherwise I have to admit he's straight up better than me'

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
If it was removed for that reason (not unlikely), it was done for the original game. The lack of the "Deathblow" kanji for the remake version of the summon shouldn't be related to that.
I probably should have phrased better. I know it doesn't say Kamikaze in the OG either, I'm saying they removed the text altogether in the remake because it was still too easy to draw that connection. Maybe. I dunno. They kept text on the shock troops and the hard edge so I figure there must be a reason they removed it from the moogle.

I have no memory of paying this much attention to the Kalm pub TV before. Though I'm surely not the first to notice that it is using background graphics from other parts of the game.

kalmpb_snap.png

kalmpb_TV_collage.png

No matter when you visit the pub these same three images flicker on and off. Fire effects not present in the source image were added for effect since the news is supposed to be about the recent disasters.

The relation in the second line is the blue background with a gradient that goes from light to dark, top to bottom. The dark blue banner on the lower left could also be a remnant from the original newscast image.

The blue background could of course have been made on its own for the Kalm pub TV. There certainly are many differences, like the replaced newscaster, the omission of the reactor explosion photo and the lack of the "SIN" text . But on the other hand it's also still possible that the Kalm pub image is derived from the original newscaster template.

Elkazor

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
Cinder Wing
Oh, and also, anyone else use Boomerangs as their primary throw weapon? I don't see anyone mention this, but if you throw the Boomerang weapon it actually hits the enemy twice, once going out, and another coming back since, y'know, it's a Boomerang and all that. I think bc it hits the enemy twice the damage dealt is actually double the damage of the weapon.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
You piqued my interest so I investigated this. It can be difficult to see, but throwing a Boomerang does have a unique animation where it returns to the user!

However, from my brief testing, the damage was about the same as throwing Yuffie's 4-Point Shuriken. And despite it returning to you, you still lose it from your inventory.

A neat detail regardless!

Elkazor

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
Cinder Wing
Ah yea, I see. I always use Boomerangs as my primary throwing weapon bc I figured it was designed for the Throw materia thanks to its unique animation (and the fact that you steal them from the enemies in the forest where Yuffie can first be found, and that Yuffie comes equipped with Throw materia). I knew that you lost them after throwing them still, but I was always curious about the damage scaling compared to other throw weapons. I guess its still about the same but its cool that they added that unique double hit animation.

Top Bottom