• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

FFVII Character Details, Easter Eggs, and General What-the-fuckery

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
Something I happened to think of lately and was wondering about was how Cloud and the rest carried all their gear. I mean, by the end of the game, their inventory can be immense. It's a wonder they're even able to move, let alone fight, what with hauling around literally hundreds of items, weapons, and materia and such. I know it's a game and there's supposed to be some disconnect there, I was just curious to see if anyone might have had any ideas about what an in-world explanation for that might be.

Lestat

He/him
AKA
Ergo, V
Chocobo
Buggy
Tiny bronco
Highwind

Would only really be an issue pre-midgar escape really as they have transportation throughout. That or the party members not fighting were on mule horse duty and would be there to carry all their shit and setup camp etc.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
Something I happened to think of lately and was wondering about was how Cloud and the rest carried all their gear. I mean, by the end of the game, their inventory can be immense. It's a wonder they're even able to move, let alone fight, what with hauling around literally hundreds of items, weapons, and materia and such. I know it's a game and there's supposed to be some disconnect there, I was just curious to see if anyone might have had any ideas about what an in-world explanation for that might be.
It was the same with ff15. We never saw them carrying their camping gear

OdaDaimyO

Conqueror of Sugar
AKA
Mochi Lover
True adventurers only have handbags, you can't fisting deep enough to be worthy!
tumblr_m85rvdDnng1rtuw6eo3_500.gif

Last edited:

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Well technically, their last interaction is him trying to kill her with a sword and then saying “Ugh... what are you making me do.”

If we want to talk about the Real Cloud™️ his last interactions with Aeris are really the moments leading up to the conversation with Sephiroth in the Temple, so Tseng’s death, the glowing pensieve thing, and chasing that blob guy through the Scooby Doo maze. He’s too muddled, triggered, and high-octane after that “Ha ha ha call Meteor” thing to really be himself after that point.
....imo

Does anybody at any point ever say, "But it can't be Sephiroth who killed the President. We know for a documented fact that he died in the Nibelheim reactor four years ago." ? Or do they accept his return from the dead unquestioningly as just the kind of thing a crazy guy like Sephiroth would do?

Reactions: Ite

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Does anybody at any point ever say, "But it can't be Sephiroth who killed the President. We know for a documented fact that he died in the Nibelheim reactor four years ago." ? Or do they accept his return from the dead unquestioningly as just the kind of thing a crazy guy like Sephiroth would do?

AVALANCHE straight away goes "Shinra owns the news papers, that don't mean nothing." Most people don't know Sephiroth is back at all, they just remark on black-caped men. Dio has no trouble believing Sephiroth is still around and the people that have sighted him at Junon have no trouble believing Sephiroth is back.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Given the precedent of Genesis, it'd be easy to assume he just broke out of whatever lab Shinra had him stashed in, and was understandably pissed as a result.

Isn't he mostly referred to as 'The Man in the Black Cape', though?

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
In Kalm, you can overhear two NPCs talking about how AVALANCHE attacked Shinra HQ and killed the President (and injured his son). Earlier in the game (or is it deleted text?) ppl talk about how there was an accident in Nibelheim and Sephiroth was killed.

As far as I know, Shinra News never reports Sephiroth’s return from the grave (they blame Meteor on AVALANCHE as well) but people bring it up, first as a rumour in Junon, then Dio’s like ‘Hoopdee-doo I met that nice young man Sephy tra la tra la.’ But I think the company line is still ‘Sephiroth died in an accident 5 years ago.’

No, I meant, does no one on the Board - e.g. Rufus, Palmer, Scarlet, Heidegger, Reeve, or even one of the Turks, say - "Whoever killed the Old President, it can't have been Sephiroth, because we know he's dead." ?

One wouldn't expect the general public to be in the know, but it just seems odd that all the top brass instantly accepted that Sephiroth was alive despite having believed themselves that he was dead. Of course they sometimes put out announcements saying that so-and-so had been killed in action despite knowing very well that so-and-so was alive (e.g., Zack). But in Sephiroth's case, they were pretty convinced he was dead. That's why I said that returning from the dead must not be as implausible in their world as it is in ours.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Kalm, you can overhear two NPCs talking about how AVALANCHE attacked Shinra HQ and killed the President (and injured his son). Earlier in the game (or is it deleted text?)
I'll try to remember to check that when I get home.
but it just seems odd that all the top brass instantly accepted that Sephiroth was alive despite having believed themselves that he was dead.
i mean in the original game Palmer literally saw him do it. Remake leaves that out, but even then, Hojo knew he was there and has little reason to hide it.
The backside of the PAL region game manual shows a portion of the unused ice cave.
You're the only person alive who could notice that lol. I've looked at that ice image a few times myself and i didn't notice lol.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Why would they be sure he was dead in the first place? He fell off a walkway in a reactor. Cloud and Zack survived that. So did Genesis. Angeal reportedly returned from the dead (and only Zack found out that was actually Lazard)

Cloud and Zack didn't fall into the mako pool. I'm not sure Genesis did, either. That's supposed to be fatal, especially if you're submerged for a long time.
i'm sure Hojo didn't believe for one minute that Sephiroth was dead.
Well, if they weren't convinced he was dead, then they were incredibly lax and complacent in not going to look for him (and finishing the job), but that would be typical of Shinra under the Old President, wouldn't it?

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
'Supposed to be fatal' according to whom? SOLDIERs survive stuff that's supposed to be fatal all the time, it's pretty much what they do.

Zack and Cloud aren't talking, and Player Turk if she was there couldn't have seen the whole fall from the angles she was at. They may not have all the information we do.

Be interesting to see which version of Nibelheim the Remake goes with.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
'Supposed to be fatal' according to whom?
Well, everyone. If Shin-Ra's conclusion after he fell in was that he was dead, it stands to reason they were basing it on some concrete evidence. I have very little doubt Hojo had tested the effects of processed mako on the human body at some point.

And to be fair ... they were right. Seph legitimately died. His body dissolved. It's not like anyone could or should have anticipated that he would have a will powerful enough to defy dissolution of consciousness and to then reconstitute his body elsewhere.

Well, if they weren't convinced he was dead, then they were incredibly lax and complacent in not going to look for him (and finishing the job) ...

Perhaps they did and found nothing, though, since his body had dissolved?

It's ironic, by the way, that in the first chapter of the remake, Barret asks Cloud if they would just keep sinking all the way to the heart of the planet if they fell into the processed mako at the bottom of reactor no. 1 and Cloud responds that the pumps would just suck their remains back up. I wonder if that's meant to allude to the extraordinary turn of events with Sephiroth's body dissolving and his remains (measured in ppm :wacky: ) making their way out of the reactor's system to the Northern Crater.

S.L.Kerrigan

Pro Adventurer
AKA
molosev
Perhaps they did and found nothing, though, since his body had dissolved?

It's ironic, by the way, that in the first chapter of the remake, Barret asks Cloud if they would just keep sinking all the way to the heart of the planet if they fell into the processed mako at the bottom of reactor no. 1 and Cloud responds that the pumps would just suck their remains back up. I wonder if that's meant to allude to the extraordinary turn of events with Sephiroth's body dissolving and his remains (measured in ppm :wacky: ) making their way out of the reactor's system to the Northern Crater.
To me, it could be an hint that Sephiroth's body never had a chance to leave the reactor.
But Cloud probably has very limited knowledge of how a reactor works, so ...

Fade

SHR
If you saw Elvis murder Trump, would you immediately accept it was Elvis, or would you at least wonder if there could be some other explanation?

If Elvis were a Captain America-style supersoldier and pulled off at least one sick, Captain America-esque move with his iconic shield, sure! Combined with later testimony about what happened to Jenova's remains etc. they'd have a pretty solid reason to believe Sephiroth was genuinely involved.

Besides, some people are just credulous. I think we see enough evidence of that on the daily in 2020.

I'm getting a little weary of this discussion, but I just wanted to say: I'm not arguing that they should have refused to believe it was Sephiroth. I'm just saying it was a oversight on the part of the scriptwriters that not one Board member in the OG said, "Yeah, Sephiroth. Weird. We were so sure he was dead." The fact that everyone instantly accepts that he's returned from the dead, as if this is a normal occurence in their world that doesn't need to be questioned, is what niggled at me a little. Anyway, the Remake has fixed it by having Palmer say something like, "Impossible" or "It can't be." (I don't remember his exact words, but the terror on his face was a sight to behold!).

It's a very small thing really.

Top Bottom