• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

FFVII Confessions & Mishaps

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
In my current run in New Threat Version, I kinda forgot to pick up two treasure chests during Midgar Raid. I'll never know what was in them. Sigh.

Actually a Compilation confession, but I can never memorize whether the OVA is called "Last Order" or "Lost Order".

Sometimes I remind myself with google search that it's called "Last Order" and I may remember it for a week or two, but inevitably I forget again soon after. I think this has been true for me ever since the OVA was released.

Vortigern

Pro Adventurer
FFVII was both my first PS1 and Console RPG game, having just recently discovered the series via the misleadingly named Final Fantasy Legend 3 on the GameBoy. Having grown up with Nintendo and Sega games having save features directly on the game cartridges themselves, I plowed into my first playthrough of FFVII none the wiser.

Just like I had in my initial playthrough of FFL3, my naivety with RPGs led me to put little emphasis on level grinding as I increasingly found the battles becoming more and more harrowing to finish with the party alive. My ill fortune caught up with me in the Elevator of Shinra HQ in the midst of the boss fights as I was finally greeted with the Game Over screen. Having seen it plenty of times in other games, I thought little of it until I found there had been no data to reload to start back up from...

"WHAT THE HELL IS A MEMORY CARD!?!?"

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
Let’s see. When I first played it:
  • I thought Shinra was pronounced Shine-ra.
  • I attacked while the tail was up (thanks, Barret), but I still won.
  • I didn’t put any effort into making Cloud as fabulous as possible.
My second playthrough, I had serious trouble with the simultaneous team button press in that reactor, even though I had no problems during my first play through.

For years I pronounced the work 'Regen' like Reagan, as in Ronald Reagan.

I was well into adulthood and multiple FFs before I realised it was short for Regeneration, cause it regenerates HP

My brother and I used to call it a “Ronald Reagan.” We knew what it was supposed to be called, we just thought it was funny.

Last edited:

Erotic Materia

[CONFUSED SCREAMING]
I'm SO glad this thread exists. Here's a few of mine.

Here's mine: I got stuck for 6+ months in the junkyard after leaving sector 5 because I didn't know you could walk up the pipe (that leads you to the playground). My frustration was impossible to put into words. And once I finally figured it out, you better believe I spent days berating myself.

I still pronounce mako as may-ko in my head.
Oh thank god, it's not just me. I thought I was some secret freak. But "Mah-ko" just never sounded right to me, even if I know that's the proper pronunciation. Like, why is Mako shark pronounced differently?

I have never succeeded in sneaking past the Shinra guards on the 60th floor
Dirty casuals...

EDIT: After reading through this thread, apparently I've been saying "Yuffie" wrong in my head all these years, too. WHY would you do a hard U followed by two Fs? It defies the norms of english pronunciation. "Yufie" would be a better spelling.

Last edited:

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
I used to say may-ko until the Compilation gave us the mah-ko pronunciation. Also, the first time I ever played, I thought Aerith was just a random passerby, didn't buy a flower, and sent her on her way. I also used to think, very early on, that the entire game took place in Aerith's head since her face surrounded by mako/lifestream is the first and last thing we see in the game and that I thought it all happened in her mind while she was gazing at that broken mako pipe in Midgar before walking away.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Early in the game Tifa asks Cloud if he and Barret fought. If you say no, she say something like "whew, that's a relief. You used to get into fights all the time when you were little." For some reason I took this to mean that Cloud and Barret used to fight with each other when they were kids, and that they were also childhood friends. I continued to think this for some time, despite absolutely nothing in the game supporting it.

Erotic Materia

[CONFUSED SCREAMING]
Early in the game Tifa asks Cloud if he and Barret fought. If you say no, she say something like "whew, that's a relief. You used to get into fights all the time when you were little." For some reason I took this to mean that Cloud and Barret used to fight with each other when they were kids, and that they were also childhood friends. I continued to think this for some time, despite absolutely nothing in the game supporting it.
lol, in a conversation near to that one, the "Next to you, who wouldn't?" response when Tifa asks how you slept went completely over my head as a kid. I read it as "aside from you" and I didn't get what that meant, and Tifa said she didn't either :lol:

Same to both! When I got to that same spot after reaching adulthood, the light bulb came on, and I was all like
ForkedWideCrossbill-size_restricted.gif

Littlewing

Pro Adventurer
AKA
human
I was replaying the game and I noticed all these details that I hadn't in years but then, I feel like the game sorta dropped off after like Midgar for some reason, just because it's old a bit and it just feels weird playing it nowadays. I enjoy it still a fair amount it's just harder to really get into I guess as a result of adult pressures. That's why when I heard about the remake I spent lots of time imagining what it would be like and I re-imagined the world in my own way I guess kinda.

Torrie

astray ay-ay-ay
Same here about the Honeybee Inn. I had no clue what was happening there. Giggling girls? All those embarrassed dudes outside? A bunch of guys in a bathtub? Whaaa--? Oh, sweet naivety.

Don't know if it fully belongs here, but discovering that the infamous LTD was a thing was shocking and slightly disturbing. I always thought that Cloud and the girls were simply best friends, no romance whatsoever. I still love to think they are (at least in the OG). Either I'm blind or I cherish the power of friendship way too much, so I take advantage of the game's ambiguity... *sigh* Also, I always thought that Cloud and Tifa simply fell asleep watching the stars under the Highwind... I still love to think they did, because it's just incredibly inspiring, isn't it? *heavy sigh*

I could never be bothered to fight Ruby and Emerald Weapons.

Some aspects of the storyline used to be incredibly confusing, and it took years of gaming, reading extra materials, studying the compilation titles and gaining life experience in general to put all the pits and pieces together. And there are a couple of things I still don't understand, but maybe they are just plot holes after all.

Cat on Mars

Actually not a cat
I could never be bothered to fight Ruby and Emerald Weapons.
To be fair, fighting Emerald Weapon is a boring and tedious battle and I couldn't be arsed to do it. :mon:
And Ruby weapon is just.. there, minding its bussiness. And you kill it only to get a golden chocobo! Like cool, I already have one better with better stats but thank you I guess, I killed that thing that was peacefully wandering the Corel desert for this shit.

Last edited:

SocraticMethod

Ex ACFer
AKA
ticalmc2k2
I thought Disc 1 would end at Midgar. I kept going and going wondering and amazed, "When is just the first disc gonna end?!"

My brother and I didn't have a memory card when we first got the game. We got all the way to Corel Prison without saving or dying but it was crazy late and we had to just turn the game off. We saved and bought a memory card asap.

Despite getting the game near launch, an idiot classmate ruined Aeris' death for me. To this day I vividly remember that kid and the conversation we had. I had just gotten to Junon and had Rufus' March theme in my head and was telling him when he said, "Oh so Aeris hasn't died yet?" "Aeris dies?!?"

Top Bottom