• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

FFVII Confessions & Mishaps

Lestat

He/him
AKA
Ergo, V
I really liked all the minigames including fort condor. It was a nice break to the game and broke it up a bit.

Absolutely raging about the new dlc having fort condor within it and finding out it's been deacoped from part 2 (that said nothing fucking surprises me about SE money grabbing at this point)

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
1624237274458.png
Just curious because I saw a tumblr post about it, but do you guys usually kill the guards on the submarine or spare them? I usually spare them, but the one time I decided to fight them I realized that they were the same dudes from the Junon parade, and I got all heart broken and had to reset lol. FF7 is such a good game for having tiny details like this.

Torrie

astray ay-ay-ay
Just curious because I saw a tumblr post about it, but do you guys usually kill the guards on the submarine or spare them?
Same story, Ody, my heart shattered too when I found that out, which means the devs achieved what they intended to. I felt bad every time I had to use the submarine and never fought those guards again afterwards. This game can be incredibly touching at times.

the same dudes from the Junon parade
...HOLY COW. I had never considered this. XD

In my first few playthroughs I always killed these soldiers. Might have been because I was still so young and couldn't conceive of video games wanting me to feel bad for the enemy. Plus I disliked the idea of skipping out on EXP.

But once I matured I never killed these grunts again. They are too human now for me to coldly execute.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
...HOLY COW. I had never considered this. XD

In my first few playthroughs I always killed these soldiers. Might have been because I was still so young and couldn't conceive of video games wanting me to feel bad for the enemy. Plus I disliked the idea of skipping out on EXP.

But once I matured I never killed these grunts again. They are too human now for me to coldly execute.
FF7 has more recurring NPCs than people may realize lol.
I've always been a softie, so I always take the pacifist choices in RPGs when they're presented to me. I blame undertale, even though I didn't play that until afterwards.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Everytime I play FFVII I keep one thing in mind regarding the Junon parade troopers.

They shall be slashed, strangled and slaughtered. Beaten, stabbed, and crushed. Garroted and impaled. Shot and executed without mercy.

That's how we roll.

Looks like someone here has what it takes to become a Tsviet! :awesome:

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I don't like making new threads.

That's the confession.

Anybody have an educated assessment of how much of FF7's plot / script is covered on the first disc? I know Midgar alone is like 30% or something just by script percent.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Anybody have an educated assessment of how much of FF7's plot / script is covered on the first disc? I know Midgar alone is like 30% or something just by script percent.

I'm gonna say around 2/3 if not closer to 3/4.

There's lots of content on Disc 2 and 3, but a lot of that is challenges like Battle Square, longer dungeons, etc. A significant chunk of the actual lines of dialogue on Discs 2 and 3 are overhauls of global NPCs, who say something new at various story thresholds (once Meteor is summoned, after Diamond Weapon attacks Meteor, etc.). The story beats are also primarily focused on Cloud and Tifa, with very little in the way of the other PCs (nothing at all for Aeris!).

My novelization was 5 books, and Book 5 begins with Tifa waking up in Junon, which is just a teeny bit into Disc 2. The books were all of comparable length. edit: I found my working script, which is based on a few scripts ripped from gamefaqs, yinza, and fandom. There are stage directions but it is mostly dialogue. Optional events like Wutai are included at their earliest possible point.

Total Word Count: 147,765
Disc 1: 97,023 (65%)
Disc 2: 46,599 (31%)
Disc 3: 4,143 (2%)
Midgar section of Disc 1: 32,529 (22%)

So both myself and whoever said that Midgar was 30% were off -------- kind of. Word count doesn't mean everything, for instance, the Gold Saucer Play with the Evil Dragon King is included three times (for each respective date) and every time you have a choice the word count includes both answers, and every time your party members say anything the script includes what any possible party members could say. Midgar's dialogue, conversely, is almost guaranteed to appear in your playthrough because of its linearity. Whereas the Disc 2 word count has three sections where it overhauls what NPCs in every town have to say about current events.

Last edited:

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Here's my own research (didn't see Ite's edit lol)

It's not very scientific. All I did was throw every part of this script into a text editor, then used the line count to calculate the percentages. No optional content. The disc percentages ended up surprising similar to @Mr. Ite's.

Total line count: 40,152

Midgar Only: 11,130 lines (28%)

Disc 1: 25,608 lines (64%)
Disc 2: 12,680 lines (31%)
Disc 3: 1,864 lines (5%)

Alternately, here's the game split up into 25% and 33% chunks:

25%: Meeting Red XIII in the Shinra Building
33%: Meeting the Turks in the Mythril Mine
50%: Listening to Cid's backstory in Rocket Town
66%: Arriving at the Northern Crater
75%: Start of the Huge Materia quest

Last edited:

Sutsivoiran

Pro Adventurer
AKA
AverageNoid
View attachment 10368
Just curious because I saw a tumblr post about it, but do you guys usually kill the guards on the submarine or spare them? I usually spare them, but the one time I decided to fight them I realized that they were the same dudes from the Junon parade, and I got all heart broken and had to reset lol. FF7 is such a good game for having tiny details like this.

OH GOD I HAD NO IDEA!

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Welp, I'm playing on PC and my saves crashed. Yesterday I finished the Midgar part of the OG, went to Kalm. I saved here on a new save space because that part is a part I may want to replay later but without me noticing the time it was, I went on with the Kalm flashback... only to realise it was getting damn too late and I wasn't even halfway through... So I closed the game and now the only save I have is right before the boxx at the Highway in Midgar with the party at 1 point left... needless to say tthe attack the boss immediately landed on me killed the three of them. So now I have to replay ALL Midgar since the beginning - my patience is wearing thin.

So I guess be careful if you play on PC and need to disconnect during a long scene :mon:>_> (I'm so miffed fr lol).

Sutsivoiran

Pro Adventurer
AKA
AverageNoid
Welp, I'm playing on PC and my saves crashed. Yesterday I finished the Midgar part of the OG, went to Kalm. I saved here on a new save space because that part is a part I may want to replay later but without me noticing the time it was, I went on with the Kalm flashback... only to realise it was getting damn too late and I wasn't even halfway through... So I closed the game and now the only save I have is right before the boxx at the Highway in Midgar with the party at 1 point left... needless to say tthe attack the boss immediately landed on me killed the three of them. So now I have to replay ALL Midgar since the beginning - my patience is wearing thin.

So I guess be careful if you play on PC and need to disconnect during a long scene :mon:>_> (I'm so miffed fr lol).

Were you playing on an emulator or the steam version?

Sutsivoiran

Pro Adventurer
AKA
AverageNoid
The first time I played ff7 it was on an emulator and I didn't yet realise that the game was multiple disks. I had to redo the entirety of disk 1 on the steam version. Not complaining tho, it taught me a lot. I didn't even know what materia did until I got to Rufus.

Top Bottom