FFVII: Ever Crisis Announced

Suzaku

Pro Adventurer
Yeah, it suits his younger more naive personality way better. The old one really did look like someone just adjusted the geometry on his adult face. It's a better match for the prerendered cutscenes too.

For the second Halloween banner, Zack gets a werewolf (more like a wolfboy) costume and a sword with a really slick attack animation (debuffs PDEF and Water Resist). Glenn gets the game's first PATK buff, and unlike Sephiroth's MATK stance ability he can cast his on anyone.

Screenshot_2023.10.31_01.28.27.545.png Screenshot_2023.10.31_01.29.11.718.png

Zack's seems like an easy pick if you've got Cloud's Maritime gear, also might be really good for Ramuh.

Glenn's got himself a niche as the first offensive buffer, which means you should be able to pair him with any physical attacker.

Stats on both weapons and costumes are excellent.

Last edited:

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
The updated visuals for all the characters look REALLY good. I think it's slightly a shame that the renders for the backgrounds use the old models still as they definitely feel slightly inferior to the new looks.

One of the things that I noticed recently because of the latest event that's a bit odd is that Sephiroth's "Torn Wing" weapon is a visually identical match to the Iron Giant's sword in the craggy blade design & hand guard. It makes me wonder whether or not it was initially planned to have been implemented alongside Red XIII's Iron Collar as a part of something specifically themed around the Iron Giant Hunt event. It seems like there're a few examples of content getting shuffled around, which I assume is related to whatever engagement statistics and things that they're banking on to maintain activity – especially after the struggles that they experienced with TFS.

That being said, I'm betting that we'll get a weapon for someone else that's got a design and naming convention mirror to Barret's "Lefko Kypseli" (which means "White Cell" in Greek: λευκό κυψέλη), possibly for an albino variant of a boss fight or something like that. The fact that that's the one that was released alongside the Torn Wing, but they've got NOTHING in common for the design aesthetics, whereas Red XIII's Iron Collar is a match to the Torn Wing makes me figure that Lefko Kypseli will almost assuredly have some type of overall design mirror to things.

This isn't the only content mismatch as Glenns outfit here was clearly the one initially planned to be a part of the Halloween event (since it's the one that had the Background unlocked for that). It makes things a little odd now, since there's nothing to unlock for getting Glenn's weapon upgraded the way there is for Zack, and what was clearly meant to be the paired non-story-event Halloween outfits were Aerith's onesie Chocobo outfit & Zack's punk Black Hound look... but because of that shuffle there's no way to unlock a background for Aerith's Chocobo outfit since they've already given a route to get 11 of them so now there's no background for it – unlike with literally every other outfit released so far.

This brings things to the point where who is getting what and how content is being pushed out feels like it's happening by just grabbing anything available, and there are clearly some development struggles behind the scenes. Matt's Killer Attire, Sephiroth's Dark Harbinger, & Zack's Black Hound all have prominent lunar backgrounds... but Matt's Killer Attire inexplicably got released alongside Aerith's Prism Dress – when we KNOW from the trailers that Zack also has regal-themed outfit (and apparently uses the Buster Sword) that matches Aerith's Prism Dress – but with a totally different weapon that ACTUALLY matches her outfit.

Whoever is managing the content things is likely having a difficult of a time, because very clearly there're some points of disconnection in what things are being designed for and how they're being packaged & released (because the teams that do those things are totally distinct in most software development). It's also a bit odd that the only character to have no skin released (not including the default ones that require a gear ticket) is Lucis – the only who who's gotten a themed weapon duplicate from an event weapon. Every member of The First SOLDIER storyline has a Halloween costume... except her, and the whole Pumpkin Fest was a story event for those 4 characters specifically.

Cloud: Murasame, Maritime, Bandage
Barret: Scrap
Tifa: Lifeguard
Red XIII: Seaside
Aerith: Sundress, Prism, Chocobo
Zack: Beach, Wolf
Sephiroth: Training Gear, Halloween
Glenn: Pumpkin
Matt: Hunter
Lucia: NOTHING

These are the sorts of things that are bad because they are OBVIOUSLY being rushed out for content, and then once they're released that way, they can't very go back and tweak them. The issue here is that while most people see these sorts of things as arbitrary stats on weapon skins, generally speaking there is a TON of very specific and intentional design put into matching weapons and abilities that also align with elements of the various characters (like one of Matt's Weapons being "Prime Number" having a healing effect because he uses the Fibonacci sequence as a sort of meditative mantra to calm himself, so it matches to how he mentally focuses on unique numerical patterns to be able to act as a support).

When design work like this gets rushed for content, it obliterates any ability to do meaningful dives into the gameplay elements – which is a majority of what I spend my time doing for FFVII-related stuff, so it likely feels like a much bigger loss to me than to most any other players, but I know that design teams HATE when things like this get stat-shuffled and patchworked together by marketing – and even before the game's release we heard that the outfits & weapons were being designed in tandem, but now they're just getting slapped on with whatever ability will allow them to be gameplay relevant for the following challenge, regardless of whether or not they're functionally designed to be a part of that event (like Sephiroth's Torn Wing & Red XIII's Iron Collar were obviously conceived for the Iron Giant Hunt), but the Maritime Sword & Zack's new Halloween weapon are the ones that are actually effective in that battle. (As RNGeezus has left me with a single Maritime Sword for Cloud and none of Zack's new event weapon thus far, the first Iron Giant EX Battle seems significantly out of reach at the moment).

This is just one of those things were I REALLY hope that the rush that's happening gets sorted out soon, so that we don't get too much of the game's deeper design storytelling shredded into a patchwork mess by the capitalist gears of mobile gacha.

Recently, a single one of Cloud's Buster Sword just showed up in the Exchange for 2500 Crisis Medals which seems sort of comically ridiculous. Like it's already by far the most difficult weapon to upgrade because it's inexplicably content locked and I can't see why anyone would go out of their way for that when the Crisis Medals will more frequently have WAY more important one-off content.

Also, while I may post a lot of deeply critical things about the game, it's because I do enjoy it and it just sucks to see things in a less-than-ideal state, but especially I know how contentious that makes things behind-the-scenes for teams whose work isn't being respected, and whose complaints get ignored because the team who messed it up is making it print money anyway.

X :neo:

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Right. I certainly don't play Ever Crisis for the story, but I would like to see FS completed and BC someday. At this pace however, we won't see the either for quite a while. Here's my estimates. Note that in 2021, Nomura stated the OG would be "around 10 chapters."

Title and number of chapters in the originalEstimate for Ever Crisis
Final Fantasy VII~10 chapters
Crisis Core (prologue + 10 chapters)~10 chapters
The First Soldier (5 chapters currently)~10 chapters (?)
Advent Children (2hr movie)~5 chapters
Dirge of Cerberus (12 chapters)~10 chapters
Before Crisis (24 chapters + 3 special missions)~24 chapters

Altogether, that's ~69 chapters, with 9 of them available today. So we have about 60 to go (maybe).

Chapter 5 of The First Soldier (the one that added Sephiroth) released 22 days after launch. Let's be generous and pretend the next story chapter releases tomorrow. That'd be 39 days after Chapter 5. The average so far would then be...

(22 + 39) / 2 = 30.5 days

At best, story chapters are releasing every 30.5 days. About a month. Let's times that by the (estimated) number story chapters we have left...

30.5 x 60 = 1830 days

In years that's...

1830 / 365 = 5.01 years

So yeah, with some extreme guesswork, we won't see all stories completed until Fall of 2028, likely after Re Part 3. And considering how volatile the mobile game market is, where titles come and go in a flash, I'm not totally optimistic that the game will last that long.

Again, though I don't play EC for the story, it is a tad discouraging how long it's been since the last story chapter when I think about how much story is left to be told.

Last edited:

Suzaku

Pro Adventurer
I hope this means a 9 remake will be coming
That was in the same Nvidia leak along with a Final Fantasy Tactics Remaster, as well as the Tactics Ogre and Chrono Cross remasters which have both come to pass.

New models for FFIX enemies bodes well, at least.

Reactions: LNK

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
Yeah, having new models provides further evidence, imo. It's not like this year or even next year is an anniversary one for ff9.

Suzaku

Pro Adventurer
Data for the FFIX event has been distributed.

Vivi's Magical Gun (MATK + Magic Fire AoE) and Vivi's Garb (HP + MDEF) for Lucia as the free earnable reward for the first part, along with the other usual earnable rewards.

Zidane's Garb and Amarant's Garb for Cloud and Tifa are both HP + Physical Skill Boost. Zidane's Sword is just a really strong single target non-elemental physical attack weapon. Amarant's Claws has a strong single target non-elemental physical attack with a self PATK buff.

Unfortunately, looks like this will be the first true limited banner, with the weapons not being added to future draws nor the weapon parts to the daily request, though the banner may return in the future.

So that seems a bit unsafe for F2P unless you really like the costumes, as there won't be a way to overboost these weapons after the banner other than slowly grinding out Cloud- and Tifa-Specific Weapon Parts. Personally gonna have to skip for that reason.

Suzaku

Pro Adventurer
Also, Kuja costume for young Sephiroth right off the bat in the story. Dagger for Aerith. Guess that's the second banner.

Minor touch to the event is that the portal that pulls in Tifa appears just after she's brought into Corneo's Mansion by Scotch and Kotch, so we get the briefest of glimpses at a previously unseen moment.

Last edited:

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Can't help but laugh at the name they chose for Lucia's event weapon. Considering its ability, they could've gone with something like "Spitfire", "Magician's Hex", or literally anything else. Instead, they called it... (drumroll please...)

"Vivi's Magical Gun"

Last edited:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
So, I think I'm gonna write up an article about Ever Crisis next week because there's CLEARLY some tension happening behind the scenes.

We didn't get a story, we got an introductory prologue with zero content between the combat. The characters all magically swap into different outfits rather than having explanations for why they're in different clothes which the previous Halloween event established as a mechanic to how the Portal Materia work.

Additionally, Lucia's weapon "Vivi's Magical Gun" is the combat reward AND the store item that you purchase with the event items, but on top of that, there are TWENTY of them. To put this into perspective, the previous events all explicitly set up these weapons so that you max out at 11 of them in order to cap out the boost on the weapon optimally. Additional duplicates will only raise two stats by LITERALLY 2-3 points when making the weapon a +1, +2, +3, etc. By the time I had enough feathers to purchase 5/20 of her weapons from the shop... I had received enough from battles to have her weapon maxed out to a +10. That's a total of 5 from the shop and enough pieces to make SIXTEEN MORE from battles. With earning 60 feathers per battle from 5 on, they cost 1000 which means that you're doing ~17 battles per weapon, and you're being rewarded 4-5 of them from 3★ to 5★ at a standard distribution per battle.

This is pointing to a larger issue which is that the Sales / Marketing / Distribution team is just filling gaps with anything that they have and pumping out content, despite what the Design team is actually creating those assets for. This is why we're also suddenly getting cut corners and borrowed assets from in-progress work, like how Cloud's Zidaine Sword ability shown in the trailer at 27 seconds, is using assets from Yuffie's Ninjutsu abilities from INTERmission which are obviously a part of a work-in-progress for HER character that's still not released yet in Ever Crisis.

Pair this with how the Event-specific rewards are being scrapped together because other assets aren't complete, which is easier to tell by looking at the Watermelon Tonberry event as our standard expectation for how the Design Team is working to create them, and how that's broken down with the rush into the following events.

Zack's Outfit & Weapon were the theme of the event. They were obtainable to anyone who played the event, not relegated to the Banner Stamp Card. Additionally, this is why they unlocked the Wallpaper of Zack in that outfit, with that weapon, fighting the Watermelon Tonberry. You were able to get 11 of them explicitly and specifically allocated to particular rewards. Halfway through the event, they did the same with a challenge version of the Watermelon Tonberry and had Glenn's Thousand Waves weapon follow that same model, but there's no Wallpaper for that one because it doesn't have a corresponding outfit... which is a tiny sign of things to come.

Next was Young Sephiroth's release, but for this his new Outfit & Weapon were locked into a Banner that had a Wallpaper for it, but they were paired with a new weapon for Lucia that complimented it, but unlike with every other Banner she wasn't given an outfit at all and thus didn't have any Wallpaper. While that placed more emphasis on the brand new Sephiroth, it's pretty clear that this was being shoehorned into the banner model, rather than launching with the story as the center and the banner as an auxiliary element, they were awkwardly overlapping in a way that made them feel half-completed, and pushing out assets that didn't have their full set completed yet.

Then on the immediate heels of that, there's a Normal Sephiroth Crash challenge battle with a totally different Ticketing lottery system, where the reward weapons are being released, but there's no outfit for them and thus no Wallpapers either. The weapons are Sephiroth's Iron Giant weapon & Barret's White Cell weapon. We know that the Ever Crisis team explicitly designs their Outfits after specific Weapons – that's what ALL the Banners in the game did initially, so what's happening here is that the weapon assets are being taken and tossed in without the outfit that's being made for them, and so they're starting to just throw out half-completed content patchworked together, and making it appealing by power creeping the weapons just to have something new in the rotation constantly regardless of what the Design Team is actually creating those assets for, and is losing the content parity in the process.

This gets even further emphasized in how the next banner is Aerith's Prism Dress with a totally different weapon so that they can have Wind-specific abilities prior to the next event, but also Matt's Halloween Costume is paired with that – which you can tell because all of the later Halloween costume Wallpapers all have a Full Moon silhouette as a component to ALL of the other Halloween Wallpapers.

This gets even worse by the time of the Halloween Event where Glenn's Pumpkin Costume & Weapon are featured in the story event wallpaper, which makes sense as his was the Sub Weapon that they boosted in Zack's Watermelon Tonberry event as a way to prep him as the next central character for the story quests around the Nibelheim Festival. Except... the character Outfit & Weapon are Aerith's Chocobo Outfit which not only doesn't feature in the story content, but this story doesn't even involve her CHARACTER. As the event continues, it becomes apparent that the issue still exists because Zack's Black Hound gets paired with Glenn's Story outfit into a Banner unlock, and not placed into the event – leaving Chocobo Aerith without any Wallpaper, as well as Lucia's Pumpkin Smasher weapon as a duplicate of her existing equiment AND without a Wallpaper for the second time.

Now you get to the massive FFIX Crossover event and... it's now the aforementioned disorganized mess with barely ANYTHING in a completed state AT ALL. On top of that, now the odds in draws increase the more of the weapons that you have, and the motivation becomes clear – whoever is in charge of the game's monetization goals isn't hitting them, and so they're cannibalizing EVERYTHING that's complete in the game to try and fill that gap. After the way TFS crumbled only a year in, it's clear why that pressure is significant, but they're undermining the long-term viability of the game for that short term immediate return, and they're also eclipsing the main audience as a route to sustainable monetization and becoming overly dependent on their Whales in a feedback loop that's self-defeating.

This is dumping increasingly Banner-focused gambling so that they can crutch themselves on the Whales of the game to make it into the next content release and have metrics that look like monetary growth without acknowledging that despite having a MASSIVE audience of people who want to play the game, they're killing the content pipeline by shredding what the design team does and justifying that decision by showing that it makes money by whatever means will accomplish that.

This is how you kill a piece of software by disengaging its core audience, and making the designers & engineers apathetic.

I cannot overstate JUST how much of a colossal red flag this is.

Beyond that, and what makes this worse is that this is a Japanese company looking at the failure of TFS as its metric, and isn't understanding that what they NEED to be doing is doubling down on slow & steady development work instead until their Steam version is released. If the game is a hyper-predatory disaster of patchwork assets by the time that releases, you're not going to have the larger scale adoption of the PC Audience that Japan absolutely already does not understand. They're shooting themselves in the foot and they're going to learn the wrong lesson from doing it.

Lastly, the reason that I can look at all of this and know how it's impacting various teams in a software development company based ONLY on what the release version of software looks like is that that's LITERALLY a core part of my job. I work in QA for accessibility accommodation, and so I'm used to looking at different ways that a release piece of software gets rushed in what areas and what the overall development environment pressures put on each of the teams, and being able to immediately know if that's an Engineering pipeline issue cutting corners, if they're poor Design decisions, if the Marketing Team is setting false expectations, if Sales committed to something that isn't viable, if a Product owner is forcing a team to ignore something, etc. etc. etc. because it's my responsibility to engage with the issue directly where it's occurring because there's a massive phase-inflated cost of change to remediating those issues at the wrong departmental level.

Personally, I earn most of my good will with every department that I work with because I also find ways to cut down on the different departments undercutting and screwing each other over by taking pain points like this and making those processes better so that the overall development pipeline isn't antagonistic and self-sabotaging. It's why I have a low-tier position but have trust and am expected to be able to just have direct conversations with literally anyone up-to-and-including the CEO about why something needs to happen if there's a bottleneck in the process. EVERYTHING about what I've seen in all the Ever Crisis updates speak volumes to a LOT of white-hot conflict & undercutting behind-the-scenes, where the departments that don't have direct pipelines to one another don't understand the pressures that they're generating unsistainably upon the various teams.

Marketing doesn't know why the things they're advertising from Design are slipping in expectations, Sales doesn't know why Marketing isn't generating what income they expect. Design doesn't know why Engineering is sabotaging their work and cobbling together half-completed releases. Support doesn't know why Engineering can't just do their jobs correctly, and it's because NONE of those teams typically have direct pipelines into each other that channel that sort of issue, because the feedback goes the wrong direction into the team that "made" something while another team or leadership outside of that department ACTUALLY created the problem that they're trying to clean up.

While it's expected that they might need to accelerate their workflow and it'll take a little bit of stumbling & patchwork for the Engineering sprint cycles to align with what Marketing/Sales is forcing them to for release, this isn't showing ANY signs of stabilizing but instead is showing that Marketing is continuing to release the content that Design was initially planning for but isn't what's actually being given time to be done by Engineering, and so Sales is looking at the numbers and is forcing Engineering to put out ANYTHING which is lowering the bar on what the MVP (minimum viable product) is. This means that more issues arise because testing is happening last minute and the end-of-the-line QA process is getting an inflated list of issues from cutting corners and patching things together, and so only Urgent issues get addressed, not Important issues, which is putting more strain on the Support team – and as expected, the response times from the Ever Crisis Support have started to get WAY longer and less consistent as well.

And to top that all off, you're heading into the holiday season, so I'm betting that there is absolutely HELLISH crunch hitting the Engineering team because they're trying to get any remote window of breathing room before the holidays to actually be able to have time off, and the next window of relief will be when Rebirth releases and their core audience is playing another game... but they're ALSO a key marketing vessel for that build up to release, and so they can't drop the ball. Add to all of that that basically the entire Engineering world is economically in a massive cost-tightening mentality right now and forcing everyone to be wearing multiple hats to make things work with a skeleton crew on a shoestring budget, and... the stressors will be burning out teams right, left, and center despite this being a project that everyone SHOULD be able to build a better foundation for, because there is story content that they can pull from for AGES – but they need to have the time and support to make those things happen.

Essentially, I'm just worried that we're gonna hit a point where they LITERALLY don't have anything (like a completed story for FFIX), and someone just barrels through into the release anyway – but then the wrong team takes the heat for it... because that happens CONSTANTLY.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
So, I think I'm gonna write up an article about Ever Crisis next week because there's CLEARLY some tension happening behind the scenes.

We didn't get a story, we got an introductory prologue with zero content between the combat. The characters all magically swap into different outfits rather than having explanations for why they're in different clothes which the previous Halloween event established as a mechanic to how the Portal Materia work.

I don't know what the fuck's going on but to be blunt. I'm not enthused about this FFIX event at all. I love FFIX and its a cool idea...

But this event is going to last for a whole fucking month.

I didn't sign up for Ever Crisis to be a Dissidia 2.0. Why the fuck are we waiting over a goddamn month for 1 chapter of story which is going to just be the Kalm Flashback from FFVII?

Ever Crisis's pacing is a snail's pace and I don't really give a shit about fighting mobs and Iron Giants. I don't understand why it's taking this fucking long to make story chapters when they're using a goddamn chibi 3D model style; something derivative of the OG!!!

This is beyond annoying. I'm not interested. Events and stuff are fun to do in-between the actual meat of the story but this shit is getting old. Don't know why the fuck we're suddenly on Gaia fighting Black Waltzes on loop and there ain't even a story for it yet!

I want to see the rest of the First SOLDIER story. Clearly they have more already fucking made, it's in the goddamn trailer. What the hell is going on here?

It'll be late 2024 or early 2025 before Crisis Core is completed in EC. FFVII's story won't be fucking done until 2026.

Just, what the hell is this?

What was the near year long delay for Ever Crisis for???

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
The best part about Ever Crisis is the avalanche of fanart that falls upon my Twitter feed each time a new costume is revealed.

On the pace of story chapters: Odysseus just recently invented the scene choreography for some unused text in the original game. Very impressive, very cool stuff. I bring it up because it's stylistically similar to Ever Crisis, as the developers intended.

So imagine multiple Odys, working full time, with actual developer tools and access to a sizeable asset bank (from Remake and Rebirth). I know I'm going to sound like a bratty entitled gamer when I say this, but yeah, I think Applibot / Square Enix could put up a story chapter a bit sooner than 6+ weeks.

It's even more confounding when you think about how 2.5 years passed between EC's reveal trailer and the game's launch. What were they cooking in that time?

Last edited:

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Never mind the fact that they showed scenes from the flashback like two years ago, so at least some of it was already made even back then.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
A few things to add to today's comments:

The update notes for v1.2 mention that some of the data is for the upcoming FFVII chapter "Cloud's Memories". And EC has held events and chapter updates simultaneously, so I don't think it'll release after the IX collaboration. It could release anytime.

X, I definitely agree with a few of your points. The ability animation for Cloud's event weapon is of a magical explosion, but the game states it's a physical attack. The same goes for Tifa's. By that logic, Fire magic should be a physical attack. However, physical attacks are ideal for the current event because the mages have high MDEF. Additionally, you get bonus rewards for grinding with event gear on. It'd be ridiculous to ask players to invest real world money into a sub-optimal build, so I think they changed the ability property, animation be damned. There appears to be a lack of communication between the game design and art teams.

Suzaku

Pro Adventurer
Isn't Cloud's ability animation taken from the one in IX?

1699872860514.png
Physical damage, learned from the Zorlin Shape, which is the weapon Cloud's is modeled after.

1699872951863.png

TBF I feel like there's a lot of sky is falling talk going on. The game is barely two months old. They said they would do new chapters once a month. They've released new content every week. They're even adjusting art assets based on feedback. They address bugs quickly, downtime is minimal, localization is excellent, production value is high. Getting a Steam port, too.

I've played FFBE since day one, and at its worst it has been a broken mess. Like maybe a tenth of the quality control EC is getting. I'm talking hackers sending currency to all players, days long maintenances, localization errors way beyond mistranslations, entire features bugged for months at a time. Its monetization is also quite a bit more predatory. They announced plans for a PC port and then never followed up, quietly canceling it. And that game has persisted for eight years.

Yes, this game needs work. There are some QOL issues, it's a bit too grindy, some of the systems (materia synthesis, mainly) are frustrating.

They'll get that stuff ironed out in time. Even if they don't radically overhaul things, just the nature of catch up mechanics and standard QOL updates means the stuff that's hard or grindy right now will be easier and more streamlined in the future.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T

Physical damage, learned from the Zorlin Shape, which is the weapon Cloud's is modeled after.

You got me there :monster: Shoot, being outed because I never played IX. I knew it'd catch up to me someday.

Yeah, there are good bits. And it seems to be retaining players. I don't remember the last time the co-op matchmaking timed out on me for an event battle. Plus it just reached 7 million downloads.

But when a game is this predatory, I can't help but approach it with extreme cynicism.

Suzaku

Pro Adventurer
I think you're just not familiar with the gacha space. And don't take this as a defense, they're all predatory and definitely prey on people with gambling / impulse control / FOMO issues. But this is pretty firmly on the generous side of monetization compared to a lot of stuff, especially the big ones.

Genshin Impact for example is simultaneously one of the most successful and most predatory gacha games out there, the pity rate for a 5-star unit in that game (the weapons and characters are both gacha) comes out to something like 90 pulls, about $350 IIRC, and that's just for one copy, not even getting the dupes needed to fully unlock their skills. FFBE's current pity rate ranges from around 40-60k lapis, which means you can pull for a unit about once every other month if you clear all content F2P, and again even then you might not get enough copies to fully unlock their skill set.

So not for nothing, as far as gacha games go, this one is in a pretty damn good spot. The most offensive thing is that it pops up ads for deals in the shop, and that's a far cry from the way some of these are monetized. I've cleared everything as a F2P, only money I spent was for the $2 starter bundle, and I haven't spent the red gems I got from that, just the gear voucher for a Zack costume I don't even need now. Lot of these games, you can't even compete without spending. FFBE's main ranking event in the global version literally locks you out of the high score if you don't have your units awakened to a high enough level, even if you can beat it with a perfect score with weaker units.

Last edited:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X

View attachment 14008

View attachment 14009
Yes, that's what the attack is designed to resemble, but this is one of those things where the devil is in the details, and those details are usually something that the Design teams play especially close attention to. This one is specifically the symbol that Yuffie's Wind Ninjutsu utilize in INTERmission:

Screenshot 2023-11-13 at 12.50.23 PM.png

1699876357186.png

I'm familiar with this because a bit over two years ago, I started spending a rather exhaustive amount of time looking into the particular origins of the script & characters that they utilize in connection to the symbolism in Shingon Buddhism, and Yuffie has unique ones for all of the different elements of her attacks, as well for her Banishment Ninjutsu, in addition to a 13 character phrase that you see wrapped around Yuffie as she's casting, which is what's being utilized in the outer circle of Cloud's "Free Energy" C. Ability with Zidaine's Sword, and is even used as the icon for that ability:

This VERY CLEARLY was not something that was made exclusively as a part of the team putting together unique assets like the Black Waltz enemies for a big FFIX Crossover, but rather was an existing asset created as a part of Yuffie's inclusion into the game that was grabbed and repurposed because they don't have other things prepared and completed yet. Yuffie's character is work that we already know has been ongoing by the Development Team for quite some times, because there were references to a Yuffie Maid Costume in the data for the Halloween Event, which further points to the issue that time & resources are stretched extremely thin, and that only becomes more exacerbated the longer that Engineering efforts get tied up in bugfixes from rushed & unstable releases, rather than focusing on actual development efforts.

On the pace of story chapters: Odysseus just recently invented the scene choreography for some unused text in the original game. Very impressive, very cool stuff. I bring it up because it's stylistically similar to Ever Crisis, as the developers intended.

So imagine multiple Odys, working full time, with actual developer tools and access to a sizeable asset bank (from Remake and Rebirth). I know I'm going to sound like a bratty entitled gamer when I say this, but yeah, I think Applibot / Square Enix could put up a story chapter a bit sooner than 6+ weeks.

It's even more confounding when you think about how 2.5 years passed between EC's reveal trailer and the game's launch. What were they cooking in that time?

This is why it's important to talk about how Software development ACTUALLY works at a larger scale, because no one person has that level of control. If you're working on character design, level design, OR scene choreography, you have to run everything by the Design team for approval, because you're just creating what the Director or Product Lead of Design approves. If you're working on dialogue you're likely with the translation and i18n / l10n teams that are mostly a facet of the Design team and aren't usually a part of Engineering at all. Keep in mind that ALL of those chibi in-world assets are going to be interfacing with a different Engineering team who does all of the combat encounters with the high-quality character assets that have to sufficiently match to the chibi versions – which again, requires design approval and that's why the Weapon designs can be pumped out more aggressively because they don't show up in a secondary version.

The division of THOSE gameplay efforts are largely spread into what's likely 3 areas which are the Scenario (book icon), Combat (crossed swords icon), or Open Exploration (mountain icon). Depending which of those is highlighted, you know what to expect from that particular item as well as having an idea of the teams who are working on that.

Keep in mind that there are still NUMEROUS other areas of the game that also require work from various teams. Any of the battle scenarios from the Tower of the Cetra are a part of the Combat team, but there's also all of the UI & art assets included with that. All of the Banners & Gacha mechanics are a part of a team's responsibility, same with Chocobo exploration, or new weapons & upgrades, etc. etc. etc.

MOST of those teams can inter-operate and cover up for each other, but there's something that you can't rush which are the mixed scenarios that require ALL of the teams to contribute to a stable collective effort that include some of everything – which are the Story sections.

Level design for maps require all of the exploration to be completed and those are typically things that are going to be able to be revisited and reused for things like the Criterion & Crisis Dungeons to unlock additional content, so they're not just a once-and-never-again effort... which, unlike Nibelheim which will eventually get used when that content releases – literally everything for a single limited month-long FFIX Crossover event WOULD BE ONE-TIME USE ONLY. Not only that, but those maps need to have all of the exploration function and be able to transition in and out of combat states without issue, and have all of the battles therein work correctly.

The Ranked Dungeon events have had numerous bugs on existing maps just configured with new enemies and different mechanics, like characters becoming frozen and uncontrollable when entering combat. This isn't something that's necessarily easy to do, and those things require a LOT of work to make sure that they're stable and function properly – and the team is already working to make sure that those things operate correctly with existing assets and new ones will be inherently less stable and less well-tested, meaning you're more likely to be able to boundary break, have abilities working incorrectly, or potentially end up softlocked.

Suffice to say, that no matter HOW talented you think someone is, a single person wouldn't be able to ACTUALLY accomplish anything on that sort of a scale because that's just flat-out not how any of that actually works, and their prioritization is going to be dictated by someone else who's in charge of the team that they're assigned to. This is just the nature of how software development goes when working at scale (as my last job was working for a local statup company that only had ~200 people in the entire company when I started, and had several thousand and was a global company at the end of my time there).

TBF I feel like there's a lot of sky is falling talk going on. The game is barely two months old. They said they would do new chapters once a month. They've released new content every week. They're even adjusting art assets based on feedback. They address bugs quickly, downtime is minimal, localization is excellent, production value is high. Getting a Steam port, too.

I've played FFBE since day one, and at its worst it has been a broken mess. Like maybe a tenth of the quality control EC is getting. I'm talking hackers sending currency to all players, days long maintenances, localization errors way beyond mistranslations, entire features bugged for months at a time. Its monetization is also quite a bit more predatory. They announced plans for a PC port and then never followed up, quietly canceling it. And that game has persisted for eight years.

Yes, this game needs work. There are some QOL issues, it's a bit too grindy, some of the systems (materia synthesis, mainly) are frustrating.

They'll get that stuff ironed out in time. Even if they don't radically overhaul things, just the nature of catch up mechanics and standard QOL updates means the stuff that's hard or grindy right now will be easier and more streamlined in the future.

This is specifically because we're looking at what is ostensibly some crossover of the team & management for the FFVIIR-centric mobile games branch that managed to ensure that The First SOLDIER died in a single year. There are PLENTY of other divisions within the company that can justify different levels of poor performance because they don't have the same audience expectations or expenditure on the financial side of things for those games, and they also don't have the same pressures of showing certain levels of consistent profitability before the people with who control money divert it elsewhere.

We know that there's a lot more Ever Crisis content because we've seen it – but that doesn't mean that it's anywhere CLOSE to being feature complete for a single scenario, let alone at the point of an MVP for an update release, and not even remotely in the region of what it takes for a full story event. This is a double-edged sword because we also know that the team has spent a TON more money paying everyone to do that work already, which means that they're under extreme pressure to make up that difference, and ensure that they have a budget to be able to keep moving forward at all.

Lastly, it's also worth remembering that there's likely a collective freeze on any FFVII-post Midgar Story content until Rebirth is actually out, which is gonna be a lot of avoiding stepping on toes. This is why Ever Crisis development work not only has to be able to inter-operate with the marketing constraints of Rebirth, but whatever large scale delays happened with that game's development likely also shifted how and where their team had to refocus efforts on different story elements, because it'll come into play with how they roadmap all of their content release windows.

For all we know, they might have 75% of the entirety of Rebirth's content done because they've been able to directly borrow assets from those teams and benefit from that synergy... but all of that is off the table until March at the earliest – which is critically Japan's new Fiscal Year and doesn't do a single goddamn thing for the team where they're at now. This is why things are especially rough, and even in the main game there are signs of people scrambling before release to get things done and releasing temporary assets.

As one example: Crisis Core Reunion came out, so it should be in the clear to do that story, and most of the events have given assets for Zack so that his character is statistically likely for players to have decently equipped. The issue there is that Zack's combat scenarios all have to be balanced for a single character – which is different than all the other scenarios that are balanced for a team of 3. Additionally, despite the cinematics in Ever Crisis: The First SOLDIER story utilizing a unique version of Remake's Type-0 Behemoth, and Crisis Core Reunion having semi-updated combat models for the regular Behemoth, the Ever Crisis: Crisis Core story encounter (and thus all the other co-op and boss battles) are still all set up with the Behemoth asset from FFXV.

This speaks to all of the sorts of behind-the-scenes development efforts that are going to hold up that content, but the same things that are also likely to be complicating the adaptation of Before Crisis scenarios as well. Add to that that what you're attempting to do primarily is ensure that the work that one team does can be actively used by as many other teams as possible, and you'll get a clear idea that there are any NUMBER of things that can become a critical blocker to a MASSIVE pipeline of additional content.

That results in teams having to scramble to compile whatever scraps of viable assets exist to be able to make a shippable update, and thus you'll end up with less things that are intentionally designed in a multi-purpose capacity that the Design team had a direct hand in crafting, and more things like grabbing one of Yuffie's assets because it's easy enough for that to be made to passingly resemble something for Zidaine for an event that barely has completed work on ANYTHING, and is exponentially more bare bones than if they were able to do anything that had assets that were made to be reusable and not one-off.

Even then, the fact that the Halloween Event being set in reusable asset locations, with reusable enemies was haphazardly cobbled together and was missing numerous assets, and that the planned Iron Giant Hunt had one of its two finished weapons released preemptively and thus wasn't able to be a part of that tiny event points to this being a deeper issue of holdups for them being able to release content that's more feature complete AND of marketing/sales overaggressively making predatory decisions for the game in an attempt to financially mask that struggle from the people who control the budget and only look at the numbers.

I think you're just not familiar with the gacha space. And don't take this as a defense, they're all predatory and definitely prey on people with gambling / impulse control / FOMO issues. But this is pretty firmly on the generous side of monetization compared to a lot of stuff, especially the big ones.

Genshin Impact for example is simultaneously the most successful and most predatory games out there, the pity rate for a 5-star unit in that game (the weapons and characters are both gacha) comes out to about $350 IIRC, and that's just for one copy, not even getting the dupes needed to unlock their skills. FFBE's current pity rate is around 40k lapis which means you can pull for a unit about once every other month, and again even then you might not get enough copies to fully unlock their skill set.

So not for nothing, as far as gacha games go, this one is in a pretty damn good spot.

This is one of those things that I'll have to repeat, which is that just because the bar is INCREDIBLY low for ethical implementation of monetization schemes in gacha games doesn't mean that Ever Crisis not being a more egregious example doesn't make what they're doing still a negative thing that should actively be spoken up against.

A core part of how those mechanics work is that they establish the low baseline as a psychological normal by utilizing a system of inconsistent reward that's linked into preemptively triggering a dopamine reward. This is why there's a long animation of Cloud walking up to and attacking the Iron Giant that you have to tap to interact with before the pull happens, and why there are a number of different configurations to what that attack animation are going to be. All of those delayed responses are a dopamine farm, and the inconsistency for what causes them is what inherently makes them addictive.

The animation is a consistent dopamine feedback (because dopamine is released on the anticipation of a reward not on the delivery of reward) and that's that's why clicker training works on humans, whereas the actual reward from the pull varies massively in value based upon a random table. That last part works because it's utilizing the same psychological framework that Intermittent Reinforcement does to allow a narcissist to maintain control over someone else's actions in an abusive relationship. It doesn't matter whether or not you are fully cognisant of what's happening, it's simply repeated exposure to that pattern over time that will make it have an influence on your behaviour and expectations of the person who's using it to their advantage. That dual system is designed to significantly amplify that particular series of experiences which is inherently a part of all gambling addiction.

This is because the dopamine release happens in your Hypothalamus which is a part of your Limbic system, and your Amygdala is a part of that, and will establish a feedback loop of an emotional response based on what your body is already doing. However, the understanding of the system mechanics at work takes place in your Prefrontal Cortex which is a totally different region of your brain. The resting level of dopamine in the Prefrontal Cortex is what manages impulsive behaviour, because the Prefrontal Cortex & Amygdala have an inhibitory relationship to one another via a shared pathway. The lower the resting level of dopamine in the PFC, the more you're going to have impulsive behaviour that reacts based on where that dopamine is being generated back in the Limbic system where cognitive function is inhibited by the Amygdala. The more often that pattern occurs, the more the brain will acclimate itself towards relying on it as a source of dopamine for the aforementioend reasons.

The more you play games or use gameplay systems like this, the more acclimated you are to that type of exploitive abuse where it's easier to see things in a positive light within what is still inherently a deeply abusive psychological framework, which is all it really is. This is why those sorts of things go as far back as early MMOs with their random loot table drops and how we even got to having the Common, Epic, & Legendary tiers of loot drops in the first place being a core component to the early iterations of that as a type of game design making World of Warcraft insanely successful. I never really engaged in MMOs, and especially after I'd worked in a Drug & Alcohol Rehabilitation facility and learned more about the mechanics of addiction dependency also having a significant social component – which MMOs also rely on with guilds and other groupings, I never really engaged in MMOs because of that element being the core driving mechanic in doing quests and grinding, rather than actually having good design.

These days, I'm someone who's even more vulnerable to those sorts of things, having been stuck in an abusive relationship that had a feedback cycle of that type of Intermittent Reinforcement – where I was 100% aware of what was happening, why it was happening, and all of the mechanics behind it... but that doesn't prevent those patterns from forcibly altering your brain's responses because the understanding in the PFC can't prevent how that is rewiring the Amygdala's response to the dopamine release. Especially as I take medication for ADHD which uses a stimulant to alter the resting level of dopamine in your brain (and by extension in the PFC), I'm particularly used to watching for very specific changes in my behaviour that are related specifically to these frameworks, as I have to know how to preemptively mitigate exposure to the parts of them that will be significantly damaging – because being able to fully dive into all of the content of an FFVII-related title is still extremely important to me.

That's why for Ever Crisis, I actively conduct my way in the game to be as straightforward as possible, where I just treat it as 3000 crystals per Stamp and for 10 random 3★ weapons, and I don't watch through the animations and only look at the end list of what's there. Even then that doesn't fully eliminate how that pattern will have a persisting influence on you, because weapon rarity and everything else, but it's also why I'm VERY critical of the places where gacha and monetization strategies are used to mask bad game design. There's a reason that rehabilitation requires intervention of external parties with a deep knowledge of the mechanics of addiction, and how that all works because those things LITERALLY change what the baseline "normal" you expect from something the same way that being in abusive relationships do, or anything else that relies on this particular framework.

That's why it's still important to highlight when those predatory tactics are being employed even in small amounts, because it's not JUST the monetary extortion of Whales that's an issue, but the fact that when that mechanic becomes successful ONCE, it influences BOTH parties to become more desperate with how deeply they're going to continue to push that dynamic and how exploitive it needs to be to chase that success. That's because how much how money a random amount of Whales have to be able to spend on a game will vary event-to-event... which means that the Intermittent Reinforcement is ALSO influencing who's using that to secure a budget, because how much one banner makes vs. another will change and so if that starts trending down, they'll try to make it more appealing again to get a spike in that compensation. This is why Genshin is both the most successful AND one of the most exploitive. They're mutually reinforcing dynamics, and because that is counterintuitive to the "free market will choose the better system and the worse one will fail" of your external cognitive understanding of not wanting those system to be successful.

This is why companies in the mobile environment ended up saturated with gacha games – because that's more self-reinforcing than a stable exchange for a known value. It also reinforces bad game design like how in Ever Crisis the "value" of what you can use Blue Crystals on is make no sense whatsoever, which dictates the feeling of inconsistency in what you exchange earned rewards for... and then pushes you into the psychological framework of the gacha systems where that inconsistency feels like an understood mechanic, especially because so many other games utilize a version of that – except that it's not something that you can just understand your way past.

The inherent issue is that the more Ever Crisis replies upon that, the more it will become codependent upon it and slowly work itself out of having a healthy and stable monetary balance with the general audience. If there are 100 Whales who spend $200 to unlock both skins on the Stamp Cards, that's MORE desirable than having TWENTY THOUSAND people buy them as DLC for $2 – because even though they make the same amount of money (individual transaction fees & taxes notwithstanding), the psychological addiction goes both ways and reinforces that behaviour.

That's specifically why you HAVE to keep talking about the ways in which this sort of thing is bad for the long-term health of the game, even if at the surface it seems positively benign compared to any other modern gacha. Consistency in being outspoken about it is where you eventually get opportunities to make change, because gambling systems will have more and more victims fall off, and they will add to the majority who eventually have enough influence to allow the people on the inside to make a change that is to everyone's collective benefit – and THOSE have to be strongly supported so that they can eventually dial back on that type of gambling crutch being shoehorned in lieu of any actual satisfying game design – which Ever Crisis HAS, but is being undercut by the monetization in ways I've tl;dr'd about before.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X

I mean, Ever Crisis was LITERALLY marketed as being a "What If?" type showcase of alternate possibilities of how things could play out by giving us a single place for all of the stories and allowing you to play through scenarios with any of the characters, so I'm not sure why anyone is surprised that the Portal Materia is the central mechanic for the one-off events that allows them to do basically whatever they want in this game.

:monster:

If we're poking at that particular thread, Dissidia FF NT had even more overt foreshadowing to Sephiroth & Cloud forming an alliance over mutually shared interests (5:07 & 1:00 respectively if the timestamps don't work), which was the last time we saw their characters before Sephiroth shows up with that exact same fancy new belt accessory in Remake, and then he & Cloud start off the conversations with THE EXACT SAME SWORD CLASH to lead in to that conversation.

This is all just a continuation of how even Kingdom Hearts always had some pretty overt nods to the behaviour of characters in extra-canon appearances being able to feed directly into whatever sort of parallel worlds you want, but being mapped accurately to if they had been magically pulled out of a certain slice of time, and then reinserted with no memory of what they did in that alternative timeline.

I think that Ever Crisis just provides an easier way to look at a possibility of something that your explore still being able to leave an impact on your heart even when the reality that you're living in can never have & keep that series of events, because that's just a facet of grief acceptance with loss.

Ultimately, I think that implications of Sephiroth's motive being trying to overwrite current reality with those retroactive events that undo various tragic events would just destroy everything else that the person cares about, and impact the lives of millions of other people outside of their control. Sephiroth's only able to do that by being apathetic towards everyone else because of extreme trauma, which is why the cooperation with Cloud is a part of examining how to cope with that type of damage without losing yourself to it the way that Sephiroth was no longer recognizable to Zack as the same person upon the advent of the Nibelheim event.

Essentially, it's existentially the same as wrecking the planet and then flying Meteor to create a new world somewhere else, but doing that in a way that's more intertwined to the echo of that same trauma in someone else still clinging to tiny fragments of other active surviving relationships, and the Portal mechanics are a good way of raising and examining those questions (especially with Young Sephiroth), while also allowing for a bunch of fun & varied gameplay opportunities.

Top Bottom