FFVII: Ever Crisis Announced

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I'm glad it's got a steam port, but it's still so odd to me that this game, which is much more optimized for touch screen use, gets one while the First Soldier didn't despite begging for a more appropriate platform for that type of game :lol:

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Because they didn't give a shit about The First SOLDIER.

That's really the extent of it. S-E wasn't interested in cultivating an excellent or even proper game experience for their mobile title out of their own pocket so they cut it off. They just see mobile titles as magical money trees and if they don't grow, they're chopped down. :monster:

Reactions: Wol

Maidenofwar

They/Them
The new event (CHRISTMAS 🎄) is the best since launch, there's just a couple of extras needed to fully surpass watermelon event I think.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I think it's more likely that all the requests for a PC port of TFS made them more receptive to doing one for EC.
My thoughts exactly. It always felt like there was still an acre of Japan not totally understanding the differences of the International Market when it comes to how many people still play "mobile" games like Genshin on a non-mobile platform. I think that them seeing that as a primary misstep with TFS leading to the game being dead after a year definitely feels like it was one of the primary reasons for ensuring that EC got a Steam port (which also involves a not-insignificant investment of the programmers who work in that language and building out that integration into the existing team).

I managed to get JUST enough to get Kuja's Spirit Blade boosted up to the full ★★★★★ Red, and now it'll be the slow grind to 200 Weapon Parts until I can tip it over the edge for that extra damage to the C. Ability. It's still just absurdly useful in a bunch of contexts, so feel quite worth it.

Aerith's & Barret's new weapons both having a Materia Slot that reduces Cure Materia heal by 40% but casts it as "All" is pretty neat and makes for a versatile weapon, and allows for at least one other party member to finally be able to hold half decently as a "primary" healer.

The winter event having new things every day was pretty interesting, but I'll be honest – I haven't been able to redeem gifts half the time because the event specific stamina currency is always pushed WELL over the maximum which prevents it ALL from being claimed, The score attack & cards is a super neat idea that's got some of the Dungeon-boosting feel to it, but the event itself always makes me feel like I'm just getting confusingly lost between sun-menus.

Hell House is a properly satisfying fight. I haven't really built up an ideal team to take it on (mainly without anyone dedicated to fire), but managed to get through the EX with Ifrit, Shiva, and some solid Ice offense by Sephiroth. There's something about the cadence and flow and the way where it's got a pseudo-interrupt phase where if you knock down the meter its attack power gets MAJORY reduced makes it feel significantly better than the rock, paper, scissors hard counters & specific ability timing that the last couple felt like they leaned in extra hard to.

Level Cap moving to 65 and Bahamut feels like it's gonna round things out a good bit for something less event-centric, and just regular content, which honestly feels like it'll be a much appreciated break from just the explosive shotgun of a million things going on, but still nothing that I end up spending in-game stamina on, and thus have been getting stuck with not being able to fully redeem gifts again. xD

X :neo:

Suzaku

Pro Adventurer
Barret's Story just dropped last night, and it's a completely new story set while Marlene is still a baby. It includes some content referenced in On the Way to a Smile "Episode: Barret." It also gives us a first look at some locations that will be appearing in Rebirth.

I'll hide the summary and screenshots with spoiler tags for people who want to experience it firsthand.

It begins with Barret walking through the woods with Marlene crying, and him telling her he doesn't have any milk to give her yet. He feels like a bad father and narrates a bit of his backstory.

2484110_20231222115112_1.png

Gives us our first glimpse of Corel and a new arrangement of "Mining Town."

2484110_20231222115143_1.png

It also introduces old man Sakaki from On the Way to a Smile "Episode: Barret," complete with a unique design, adapting the story he recalls in it.

2484110_20231222115818_1.png
2484110_20231222120115_1.png

Barret says that none of the other prosthetics "fit" and Sakaki tells him he's too consumed with rage to be helped and gives him an adapter, telling him to think carefully about what to use it for.

Barret narrates that he already made up his mind, and is next seen brandishing his new gun arm at two men who mock him and make Marlene cry, which is when he decides to leave Corel, unwilling for her to face the same treatment he's received. He sets out with no plan and no idea of where to go.

In the forest he encounters a trio of Planetologists who share some milk with Marlene, saying that all people born of the Planet are family. They wear tattered robes of different colors, looking like the same models used for the Sephiroth Copies and also the villagers from the Halloween event.

2484110_20231222120654_1.png

He crossed the sea and in Under Junon saw how Shinra was treating the people there. I believe this is a repurposed bit of the La'Paina Coast dungeon.

2484110_20231222121633_1.png

There a fisherman tells him that the only work available would be under contract with Shinra and they agree that life would be better if they could go back to how it was before they showed up. He tells Barret that there's rumors of a group called Avalanche that wants to bring them down.

2484110_20231222122045_1.png

Barret recalls hearing about them for the first time back in Corel, when he still believed in Shinra, from a miner. At the time Barret believed that a big company like Shinra would be to concerned about maintaining their image to do anything bad, and that a Reactors would mean a better life for their people. The miner told him about a man whose land was taken by Shinra, and another group who were protesting and forming a group called Avalanche.

Barret narrates that protests won't be enough for him, and tells the man that he'll get revenge. The fisherman tells him that's the kind of spirit he'll need to get through every day. Barret narrates that after that he started working odd jobs to save money to make it to Midgar, where the Shinra HQ is.

And now we're introduced for I believe the first time to a new arrangement of "Barret's Theme" as he works a job loading boxes. The map is repurposed from the Abandoned Factory dungeon in Banora Village. Barret tries to work with Marlene strapped to his chest, but he's clumsy with the gun arm and wrecks some cargo.

2484110_20231222123112_1.png

On the way to the next town we hear a new arrangement of "On Our Way" as they camp outside, and he sees a Chocobo walking through the forest with its chick and laments that he's putting Marlene through grief she doesn't deserve. He wonders if he'll ever be worthy of calling himself her father, and decides that he will make it happen, shouting "Daddy's gonna make it!" louder and louder until it wakes Marlene up.

2484110_20231222124532_1.png

To be continued in the next post, as I can only upload ten screenshots per post.

Suzaku

Pro Adventurer
2484110_20231222125322_1.png

Barret narrates that as he worked his way to Midgar, they mostly slept outside, but on days where they found planetology workshops and screenings they were lucky enough to sleep with a roof over their head. I believe this scene has a new arrangement of the Main Theme. At least I don't think it's the same one used previously.

During a meeting Jessie is attending, Barret and Marlene sleep nearby, snoring loudly and annoying the other guests. The speaker tells the guests they're part of their family and will come around to their teachings eventually. Jessie attempts to introduce herself to Marlene, who hides behind Barret and remains silent. Barret narrates that at this point, Marlene had never spoken a word, and wonders if it's because of what happened back at Corel, or because of him.

Jessie asks if Barret is really Marlene's father, but Barret shuts her down and she apologizes, saying that planetology teaches everyone is family and families come in all shapes and sizes. She asks where he's from and recognizes Corel as a place destroyed by Shinra, even though the official reports say it was taken out by anti-reactor activisists. She asks him to listen to her lecture and stay and talk afterwards. Jessie shapes her lecture to speak directly to Barret and Marlene, and he gets the teachings of planetology for the first time. Jessie explains that her father has mako poisoning and is in a coma, but they're still connected via the lifestream, and that's why they can't let Shinra destroy the planet.

2484110_20231222130420_1.png

Barret, now viewing the lifestream as the thing connecting him to Marlene, decides to stop Shinra. Afterwards he tries to find Jessie, but the others tell him she's a radical and he should just forget about her.

2484110_20231222130653_1.png

Barret gets belligerent and demands they tell him where she went, and they direct her to Seventh Heaven. He tells Marlene that he wants to help protect the Planet from Shinra but that she'll always be the most important thing to him.

2484110_20231222130808_1.png

Marlene then says her first word:

2484110_20231222130817_1.png

2484110_20231222130831_1.png

2484110_20231222131039_1.png

Suzaku

Pro Adventurer
Haven't kept the thread updated with the Christmas or New Years events, but Yuffie just released and seems to be a really strong support unit right out of the box, with good support weapons.

She gets Clear Tranquil as her second LB, which is an AoE heal with regen and PATK + MATK buffs all in one.

Her first banner weapon has mid/high PATK up for self and mid/high - high/high PATK up for a party member with regen, and a new Buff/Debuff extension R. Ability which is also on her first banner outfit -- a winter jacket with a moogle hood.

Her 4-point shuriken (you get a free copy and 200 fragments) is a low/mid - mid/mid AoE PATK down weapon. She also has one weapon each with mid/high Fire, Ice, and Thunder resistance debuffs. One of her other weapons is the same as the PATK buff weapon but for MATK.

She's also got the first poison weapon, single target ice, and AoE earth and wind weapons.

Only thing she's lacking is an AoE heal weapon.

Looks like plenty of Yuffie draw tickets and blue crystals as rewards for her release campaign, plus a 400% EXP boost and missions that award memories so you can level her really quickly.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
It's a serious problem (for me) that they've released a gacha game where the entire cast is my favorite. There's like 6 characters I want to raise up and nowhere near enough time or blue crystals to accomplish that.

I thought for sure Landscaper would be her second limit break. Not that I'm complaining, I'm much happier with Clear Tranquil.

Last edited:

micknutson9

Pro Adventurer
Speaking of Yuffie....... Has anyone noticed that her signature weapon, the 4-Point Shuriken, already comes with the two pink ribbons tied around the handles from Advent Children or is it just me?

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Yuffie's pink ribbon in remembrance of Aerith is tied to her left arm in Advent Children. The bandages on her 4-Point Shuriken are also part of the model in Intermission and Rebirth. I think they're there to act as a grip.

micknutson9

Pro Adventurer
Didn't she have three, though? One tied around her arm and the other two tied on her Shuriken? I seemed to recall that she was the only one of the party to have three ribbons while everyone else had one instead. Or am I mistaken?

Maidenofwar

They/Them
My Yuffie joined at l28 and is now l53. 400% EXP boost is wild. So far I only have Aerith at l65, and Red XIII is l63 with Cloud trailing slightly below that. Matt and Sephiroth are l55, everyone else is L50 except Zack and Glenn, slow chocobo grind.

Suzaku

Pro Adventurer
New characters join at different levels based on how much of the story you've completed, as each story chapter grants universal EXP. Mine joined at level 32; I've completed all but two or three of the extra stages.

I used about 30 stamina tonics to run her through EXP 7 several times, and then ran my AutoHotkey script to farm the zero-stamina version while I slept. She's already 65, now, surpassing Red XIII who is still stuck at 60 despite being 59 when I started, and in the same EXP grinding party. He's the last unit I need to get to 65, and I'm sure that'll happen just in time for the level cap to get bumped to 70.

Yuffie seems quite strong. Easily the best offensive buffer with her Clear Tranquil LB, and her Arctic Star and Crystal Cross weapons, and her Fire/Ice/Lightning debuffs are really good (though they don't include the defensive debuffs like the other ones we've seen recently).

I'd strongly recommend leveling and wishlisting 4-Point Shuriken, if only for the HP and Buff/Debuff Extension R. Abilities, since you get two copies of it for free anyway. If you can get even just 5 points in the R. Ability that increases the duration of buffs and debuffs by 40% for whoever equips it, which is actually a pretty significant improvement for ATB efficiency, making it a solid sub weapon for any unit on buff/debuff duty, and can make it a lot easier to maintain uptime for some of the ones with a shorter duration.

Arctic Star and her banner costume are also very good for the same reason, as you can get her buff/debuff duration up high enough that she doesn't have to spend much time recasting them and can spend more time doing other stuff.

I'm sure other units will start getting that R. Ability on future weapons, but for now the only sources are 4-Point Shuriken and Arctic Star, making them quite desirable, IMO.

Despite Clear Tranquil having a mild heal attached, that's not really a role she can currently perform solo, due to a lack of a good AoE heal, but keep an eye out for any healing support she might get in the future.

There's also Twin Viper, the first Poison weapon. There are actually quite a few bosses who aren't immune to Poison, though it looks like it'll probably be universally useless against machine and insectoid enemies.

Poison deals non-elemental damage equal to 2% of the enemy's max HP, ticking approximately once every 5 seconds. Higher OB levels increase its duration and the success rate of applying it, but not the amount of damage done per tick. Because it scales with enemy max HP, it's more powerful against enemies the higher their max HP.

This could actually be really efficient ATB use, but I think the main thing holding it back is that you only have a 50% application rate, which only increases to 70% at OB6. This means you'll have to recast it about half the time. After we get the Bio materia it might be a good option for healers since it adds passive damage while they can focus on healing and support, but on a pure attacker I'm not really sure it's worth it.

---

As for my personal progress as a F2P, I'm doing quite well. My main team is still Cloud / Sephiroth / Aerith, now well over 200k power for most elements builds. I've also managed to get my Lucia in a decent place with an OB6 Bald Eagle just from randomly pulling it.

The blue crystals have been generous enough that, after skipping the Christmas banners as planned, I was able to snag both Cloud and Sephiroth's NYE costumes and weapons, which seemed like a good investment given that I doubt Cloud, Sephiroth, or the fire element will ever fall out of fashion.

Last edited:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Insofar as the recent content stuff in EC: the new regions and story things are REALLY neat, and I'm glad that they've got those things rolling in. They've given me things ta look forward to (I haven't tried out what Yuffie's dialogue options are during her interaction that matches the OG's post-battle recruitment conversation, but I'm curious how those branch out).

I still find all the EX battles to be extremely unsatisfying in how much they require arbitrary and painstakingly exact implementation of one specific strategy that's often reliant on using limit breaks to interrupt enemy attacks in order to beat them. They kinda burned me out on doing much with the game tbh, as it feels like what's left is just chores rather than anything really satisfying. Like, I haven't really leveled up anyone outside of my main team as there's not really any point and I've no interest in all the grinding to try and get materia that are 5 star AND have better stat boosts than the 4 star stuff I currently have.

Even the new Dungeons don't really seem to contribute much to anything that's actively useful gameplay, so I've been just forgetting to do them or check out the tower or anything else as they've sort of just arbitrary challenges that don't have a purpose to them. The upside is that I think that has made the really fantastically fleshed-out story bits feel ESPECIALLY welcome because they're such a breath of fresh air to have something that is of action subtance rather than just more vapid content.

A few things of note:

I forgot to mention this earlier, but the new CC Chapter actually gave us what I believe is the very first time we've ever had a specific canon location of Banora. While the general Mideel region has been mentioned before, I think that this is the first time it's ever been explicitly placed on the World Map, and makes me wonder if we might be able to see the bombed-out ruins during Rebirth. It also gives a better ability to be able to plot a more specific route that Zack ended up taking with Cloud on their way back to Midgar (which is exceptionally relevant with his apparent survival being a rather major story element in the Remake project).

EC_Banora.png

On a note of personal satisfaction, it made me smile ta see that Ever Crisis still uses the name "Midgar Zolom" for our favourite gigantic swap serpent, so we'll have to see whether or not Rebirth retains that particular naming convention or not.

Like what we saw previously in Mt. Nibel with how the Materia Fountain retained the blue/grey coloration present in Rebirth rather than the green/brown that was used in the OG, I'd expect that the visuals that we're getting here are going to be somewhat close to what we see in the new game in 7 weeks... but not entirely. What's interesting is that the Midgar Zolom that was showcased in the Rebirth Release Date Announcement trailer looks DISTINCTLY DIFFERENT from the way the model here does. In Rebirth, it has more of a yellow-green coloration, a very spikey hood and lateral spines that continue along at the border of its underbelly, distinctive black patterns along its whole underbelly, and most notably, its horns are curl back and around and are wrapped directly against its skull behind its eyes – matching the way that they look in the original FFVII.

In Ever Crisis, there are no spikes on the hood, its underbelly is a single color, and the horns curl up and forwards and are separated out on either side of the head. This is far more reminiscent of the FFXV Midgardsormr / Hvitrormir / Grootslang except that all of those also still have the more spikey scales along their hoods that this model lacks, so it's seemingly a new model rather than just grabbing an extant asset like with the FFXV Behemoths in Ever Crisis, but it's also not the asset from Rebirth unless the slain version is going to be distinctly different from the one actively roaming the swamp.

(EDIT: The FFVII version also has a split tail almost like a stingray barb, and while the earlier Rebirth footage doesn't give a look at whether that feature is present, the Destined for Rebirth trailer does show the split tail for a few frames, as well as the different facial sdesign and how its body is absolutely covered in dorsal spines as well. Meanwhile, Ever Crisis' Midgar Zolom here only has a very short tail that's curling upwards a bit like you'd see with a python, and absolutely no spines to speak of as well as a radically different facial design).

Aside from the model discrepancy, I was rather surprised that the Midgar Zolom was just impaled directly upright with the tree trunk emerging from just behind the skull like this. The original version in FFVII had the serpent flipped on its back and the spike of the tree emerging from its chest down near the base of the cobra hood. Even without the rivulets of blood pouring down the tree and onto its lower body – the physical positioning of the original feels VASTLY more brutal than this does, because of what it implies about the confrontation that took place, and thus what it ALSO communicates about how powerful Sephiroth is.

The way Ever Crisis portrays it, Sephiroth just had to lift up the snake's head slightly from its natural attack stance and push it back down onto the spike to kill it. (I expect that this is because Ever Crisis is barely doing anything to the default pose of the Midgarsormr model, and is really just editing a tree into the scene). Whereas in the original FFVII, Sephiroth would have had to physically overpower and twist the entire serpent over backwards before forcibly impaling it into the tree.

Very small differences in the designs can make for VASTLY different storytelling conveyance and Ever Crisis still seems to be operating on rather thin margins when it comes to which assets they have access to and how much time they have to be able to craft these sorts of scenes.

EC_Midgar_Zolom.png

Additionally, while Yuffie has a few weapons with C. Abilities that are currently using the wrong animations (but the in-game mechanics are fine), the proper animation for her Ice Ninjutsu's final strike uses the symbol for "Lightning" rather than "Ice" something that I noticed given that I was cataloging all the symbols for Yuffie's Elemental Ninjutsu in INTERmission back in 2021 (this Tweet shows Fire, Ice, Lightning, & Wind respectively, but that hashtag has a variety of other reference shots of her Ninjutsu). This is also why I recognized that Cloud's "Free Energy" C. Ability animation for the FFIX crossover was utilizing Yuffie's elemental symbol for "Wind" rather than the actual symbol from Zidaine's Free Energy attack, because when the Mandala appears, those 4 Bonji-like symbols are arranged in a specific pattern along with the 4 elemental Kanji that they correspond to.

I've been paying close attention to this specifically because in INTERmission Yuffie had 4 Elemental Ninjutsu as well as the ability to use Ninjutsu without assigning them to an element, which roughly matched to the 5 elements in Shinto (Earth, Water, Fire, Wind, & Void) which worked because FFVII Remake only had 4 elements with counters paired as Fire/Ice & Wind/Lightning. This is why Yuffie's Ninjutsu animations always start with a pentagon of 5 symbols for her casting animation. Even when she's casting Banishment and casting through a different symbol placed between the 5 orbs, there's been a specific design to their placement and even the Mandala that appears having a sideways clockwise rotation rather than being placed upright.

From the beginning, this already presented a rather notable difference since Ever Crisis has 6 different elements Earth, Water, Lightning, Wind, Fire, & Ice as well as having different foils between those elements: Fire/Ice, Wind/Earth, Lightning/Water, as well as also having the non-elemental damage option that could still correspond to a "Void" element attack. I figured that this meant we'd be reusing some of those symbols for Water & Earth, or that they'd take two of her other Ninjutsu casting symbols that don't get used for specific elements and assigning those to the 2 extra elements. However, with this shuffling a design between elements that both already existed, there's always the possibility that ALL of the symbols have gotten totally reassigned to match different elements altogether.

I mentioned it on the official Twitter post about the bug with those attacks, so hopefully it'll get corrected or clarified as I'd like to still be able to use things in Ever Crisis as a part of doing analysis on design in the FFVII games. It's already tough when there are bits of weirdness from shortcuts in development with its design consistency to the rest of the Compilation (like using the asset for the FFXV Behemoths rather than any FFVII-style Behemoths). However, when it doesn't adhere to specific designs within its own internal framework that's even more bothersome, because it means that I have to be able to track and discount or clarify conflicting design between different games.

This has added in an additional detail that I'll have to spend some extra time breaking down with Rebirth, and I'm hoping it won't have to involve discarding preexisting designs from INTERmission, or at the very least that there's still a unified design framework that Ever Crisis & Rebirth both share if they both have an expanded set of elemental attacks from the 4 that Remake was using. As much as it's helpful having them split out into individual games that can be analyzed on within their own combat systems, it's a bit frustrating when those grind up against the core design elements of how certain details are built out.

Especially with Yuffie's Ninjutsu having so many details that are intrinsically built from Shinto's five elements, not to mention the mysticism from both Wuxing's five elements (Earth, Wood, Metal, Fire, & Water) as well as Onmyodo's five elements (Fire, Wind, Earth, Water, & Thunder) both also including the dichotomy of Yin & Yang they're a core foundation for a lot of Wutai's unique cultural design as an older Japan that still had close connections to China in a juxtaposition that distinguishes it from Midgar which is more of the modern post-war Japan that was integrated with America and those two ways of life were heavily antithetical and biased against one another. There's a lot of careful thought that gets put into creating those things, which is why I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that the assets are being used correctly rather than just being haphazardly copy/pasted when they need a visual effect.

While it may seem like a lot of nit-picking (which it admittedly is), it's because Remake is a game that spent a massive amount of time showing a level of polish that can be achieved by a development team where they're allowed to really go all-out and aren't cutting corners in design and execution of things like this – and it seems like Rebirth is being afforded that same level of scrutiny and careful attention to detail in its own execution. This is something that Ever Crisis always seems to be out of the loop on, and that they're forced to keep covering for that in a way that feels reflective of how, rather than being able to focus on creating substantive developments as its own Compilation title, the game is stuck being a means to an end for generating a river of monetizable content at the expense of its own soul in a way that epitomizes the mobile gaming industry in juxtaposition to the core gaming development world.

This is still bothersome since this predatory model for mobile dev justifies cut corners because it prints money by being just good enough to not lose hold of its audience, but especially while the software & gaming industry keep getting ravaged by layoffs and struggles to remain profitable, it's an uphill battle to keep making sure that it's not just settling for this sort of thing when the devs WANT to do more. I think that this disconnect was most apparent in the recent Apex x FFVII Rebirth crossover where collecting everything was going to cost $360 where the MASSIVE fan outcry about exploitive gacha over those cosmetics (which are exactly like what Ever Crisis does as a constant staple for its content) made them drop their prices by 90% compared to what they were initially charging for them.

There's a COLOSSAL difference between what something IS worth and what the executives in charge of those decisions are going to try to force you to pay for something once they think that it's been sufficiently normalized within the wider industry. They WANT to normalize robbing you absolutely blind so that no one speaks up, and it's worth reiterating JUST how vastly exploitive this side of the industry is and how much it's going to constantly attempt to worm its way in to everything else, as well as why and how Ever Crisis doesn't operate like the other titles that it stands alongside.

Last edited:

Suzaku

Pro Adventurer
tldMUyI.png

Cosmo Canyon themed gear for Red XIII.

Suzaku

Pro Adventurer
Oh, also, this Bomb Rush event is incredible for leveling your characters super fast. Especially the once daily version, which awards 777,777 EXP to each character in your party.

The lowest difficulty for solo, which costs 15 Stamina, actually awards the most EXP per Stamina, so the only reason to do the more difficult stages is to get the clear rewards. Co-op only awards EXP for one character meaning it's likewise only worth it for the first time clear rewards.

The event is going to last for two more weeks, so not necessarily any big reason to rush through, especially since you don't want to hit 70 on all your characters and let the daily quest go to waste.

You need to beat the bombs by breaking their sigils, for which you'll probably want a weapon with a bonus for sigil breaking. Doesn't matter which sigils you bring.

The unlock quests get kind of difficult. You need to deal enough damage to the Spooky Balloon boss to make it malfunction after it repairs itself, otherwise it'll enrage and kill you by spamming the same move over and over again. Though, again, Golden Bomb 1 is actually the easiest and most stamina efficient way to grind EXP and medals for the event.

Lex

Administrator
Oh, also, this Bomb Rush event is incredible for leveling your characters super fast. Especially the once daily version, which awards 777,777 EXP to each character in your party.

The lowest difficulty for solo, which costs 15 Stamina, actually awards the most EXP per Stamina, so the only reason to do the more difficult stages is to get the clear rewards. Co-op only awards EXP for one character meaning it's likewise only worth it for the first time clear rewards.

The event is going to last for two more weeks, so not necessarily any big reason to rush through, especially since you don't want to hit 70 on all your characters and let the daily quest go to waste.

You need to beat the bombs by breaking their sigils, for which you'll probably want a weapon with a bonus for sigil breaking. Doesn't matter which sigils you bring.

The unlock quests get kind of difficult. You need to deal enough damage to the Spooky Balloon boss to make it malfunction after it repairs itself, otherwise it'll enrage and kill you by spamming the same move over and over again. Though, again, Golden Bomb 1 is actually the easiest and most stamina efficient way to grind EXP and medals for the event.
Yeah it's a bit ridiculous, I already managed to get 5 characters to level 70 and am working on the rest now. I've even bought out the entire store for the event which is wild considering it came out like two days ago.

Suzaku

Pro Adventurer
New chapter of The First SOLDIER available now. Includes a really nice new arrangement of "Listen to the Cries of the Planet" which recurs a few times during the chapter.

The chapter is unfortunately woefully short (3 sections with just seven episodes total), and ends just when it's getting good.

Deals a bit with the fallout of the battle against the Rhadorans. Shinra excavation crew and guards have set up a base and are preparing for a dig, while Team Glenn sets out to do something about the corpses that are drawing scavenging monsters, and Sephiroth is searching for the locket with his picture of Lucrecia "Jenova." Matt winds up comparing their belief system about mana to planetology and Sephiroth says they believed the planet will remember them after they're gone. Glenn realizes that they rejected Shinra's use of reactors because if mana is used up as a resource the planet will forget them. They decided to bury the Rhadorans as an apology, marking their graves with their shields.

Just then, the survey crew starts setting off underground explosions and they have to scramble to retreat, because the process is known to sometimes cause mako eruptions -- what Rosen described as a mana torrent. They head to the choppers and Glenn realizes they need to warn Rosen, so Lucia commandeers one of the choppers to head to Rosen's island. Then the gallonbaloir that's been hunting them ever since Glenn stole its claw appears in a haze of mako, evolved into a monstrous new form. They defeat it once and for all, and then board the stolen chopper, telling Sephiroth he should leave with the engineers since they're the ones defying orders. He instead decides to join them. To be continued...

Oh, also, Sephiroth knows how to use fragments of naturally occurring materia to cast really powerful versions of spells, but it shatters the materia after a single use.

Last edited:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Story Stuff:

Chapter 6 EP. 4 "The Leader in His Element" having the heroic version of One-Winged Angel was utterly phenomenal. I don't think that I've felt a totally different set of emotions connected with such an iconic piece in QUITE this sort of a way before.

With the "Jenova" (Lucrecia) locket being lost, I'm curious if that's something that'll end up coming up at some point in the future given that they're seemingly leaving the island behind. It's also worth noting that in the map regions revealed in the State of Play for Rebirth, Mideel appears to be covered in clouds like the majority of the northern continent, so whatever happens during The First SOLDIER, as well as the remains of Banora are likely to be kept under wraps until the final game. I think that them having the time to build out and complete whatever story that they're doing here is probably for the best.

Especially if Glenn does end up being the cloaked figure wandering Junon that Tseng has brought before Rufus as the emissary from Wutai sent by Viceroy Seruth, it would make sense to have more time building out that full backstory. Additionally, with Gilgamesh seemingly making an appearance atop the Pagoda roof in Wutai as well during that trailer, there's a clear possibility of areas not opened up still being showcased in Rebirth in some capacity still, so I'm quite curious just how much we'll see & how.

Gameplay Stuff:

Haven't tried to do the Chapter 6 EXTRA fight yet, as while I've got everyone at "Level 70" I haven't even remotely invested effort into actually going through the Growth Stream to actually get GreenMatchaTea any of the real bonuses from being at a higher level since they're not in my primary party. Plus, EC still has the godawful "automatic party" thing for story missions where, any time you customize a team configuration and don't win the battle, it doesn't save your setup and just reverts it to the automatic version, and you have to rebuild the entire thing from scratch. (which is the biggest quality-of-life frustration I have with the game).

Aside from that, I've been barely playing the game for the most part and had enough to insta-clear the Aerith banner as she's in my main party and her new Floral Wand weapon & Cetra-like Floral Gown outfit seem like they've got the potential to be amazing. Floral Wand has a Materia slot that allows a Cure All and increased Status Effect Duration, and that weapon has a Physical & Wind debuff. It's also got a Materia Slot to boost Wind damage by 30%, 3 ATB bar Wind ability, and those work well if you need damage if you've got her Prism Dress that boosts Wind by 35%. On top of that, Yuffie's got three weapons (4-Point Shuriken, Wind Slash, & Arctic Star) that boost Physical Attack (2x), HP, & all 3 boost Status Effect duration – which you can assign as her sub-weapons to really optimize the Status Effect for Aerith if you've got her using Buffs/Debuffs, but especially since Healing Wind has a Regen effect, you can make use of her as a Healer without absolutely needing Fairy Tale. Even something like the Mythril Rod's all MDEF & PDEF buff would get a lot more potent if you don't need to recast it anywhere NEAR as often.

Future Musings:

I'm rather curious if we'll end up seeing Titan as an Earth summon in the near future with his appearance in Rebirth, and also if Leviathan as a Water summon will end up being included soon, now that Yuffie's in the team or if that'll be held off until the FF7 story reaches Wutai like in the original game. Unfortunately I don't expect that the game will be adding in a Wind-based Summon any time soon, as even though it's the element I'd most like to optimize (since Cloud's got Lightning & Ramuh, while Sephiroth's got Ice & Shiva for my main party to really emphasize that elemental vulnerability), base FFVII really only has Typhon which is a weird choice at best, and I'm not sure if Rebirth might have another summon that can fill that role in their extras. The other showcased summons for Rebirth: Odin, Neo-Bahamut, Alexander, Kujata, & Phoenix don't really fit that role either, and so even if there IS a viable "Wind" option, I don't expect that they'd spoil something like that with a reveal in Ever Crisis until the game'd been out for a long time.

Mostly, I think it'd be nice to get more of the core 6 elements covered with Summons so that there are balanced tactical options for whatever type of challenge you're going up against.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Short but sweet. Wild to think the last time we got a FS chapter was back in September.

Since day 1 it was my plan to make the First Soldier crew my main party, and I'm glad I did. Since I see them every day, I feel attached to them. So I really enjoyed the new story. It's a simple narrative, but I'm really looking forward to where it's going.

It tickles me that they've been calling the big monster "Stamp". Stamp is only really introduced in Remake, so it makes the games feel more connected. Love that bit of world building.

We still have yet to see that pre-rendered scene of Sephiroth and Rosen from the final EC trailer, where Rosen asks Seph who's important to him. It seems like that'll be the next chapter.

And of course, Sephiroth still wields Nameless and not Masamune. I'm predicting that the Masamune is some ancient Rhadorian sword which will be gifted to him by Rosen, or maybe they have to find it in some Rhadorian ruin. We'll see~

Last edited:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
And of course, Sephiroth still wields Nameless and not Masamune. I'm predicting that the Masamune is some ancient Rhadorian sword which will be gifted to him by Rosen, or maybe they have to find it in some Rhadorian ruin. We'll see~
I hadn't actually thought about that particular detail, but now I'm thoroughly intrigued!

Top Bottom