FFVII: Ever Crisis Announced

waw

Pro Adventurer
Since the dialogue is text-based I think they could still do the thing where the player gets to the name their Turk character.

They could, for sure. I really hope they get names, though. (I really hope the Last Order production sketch names fit).
I'm a bit sad that it doesn't appear the On the Way to a Smile or Boys Are All Right side stories aren't getting worked in. Maybe they'll factor into the AC story content, actually. I think some of that material would make awesome chapters.

I think Audrey posted something about a Sephiroth backstory being embedded in this?

I think it's still possible that OtWtaS and The Kids Are Alright will be worked in. The trailer does after all say "Features the entire Compilation". OtWtaS is definitively Compilation material and even if TKAA doesn't technically fit under the Compilation umbrella, the trailer screen adds "and more" so it's definitely possible. I wouldn't be surprised if we see Dirge of Cerberus: Lost Episode among the Ever Crisis chapters.

FFVIIEC_screen.png

There is even promise of working in The First SOLDIER, despite how fresh that title is.
See Audrey's translation of the Famitsu interview article. This also mentions the "Young Sephiroth" chapter.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
I wouldn't be surprised if the "and more" involves something after DoC. We know they are adding in more to the origin story already... so they could also add more to the end of the story.

I do know that FFXV: Pocket Edition came out on Switch and PC after all the chapters were released, so there's a very good chance this will also come out on something other than mobile when it's finished updating.

Torrie

astray ay-ay-ay
I'm super excited and super confused at the same time. So many good questions have been asked in this thread that I can't really add anything new, but the very fact that BC and CC are getting a re-imagination eventually got me hyped. I'm not a big fan of chibi art style though, but ehh this game had kinda chibi characters right from the start, so it's both a faithful recreation and an hommage at the same time... as well as the most meta thing in the FF7 universe that we've ever seen. It's all coming together. The circle is *almost* complete. What a time to be alive!

waw

Pro Adventurer
I'm super excited and super confused at the same time. So many good questions have been asked in this thread that I can't really add anything new, but the very fact that BC and CC are getting a re-imagination eventually got me hyped. I'm not a big fan of chibi art style though, but ehh this game had kinda chibi characters right from the start, so it's both a faithful recreation and an hommage at the same time... as well as the most meta thing in the FF7 universe that we've ever seen. It's all coming together. The circle is *almost* complete. What a time to be alive!
I think DoC getting revisited and revamped into a more traditional RPG is brilliant, myself. Like... would Vincent's party involve him, Shalua, and Yuffie?! Cait Sith? I love the idea of what this is doing and I'm super, super excited for it. I'm okay with minor retcons to give them a party.

My only, limited hope, is the new characters in Remake could find their way into this material.

One aspect that feels a bit disjointed to me is how Ever Crisis is meant to retell the original story, yet its character models and the fields mimic the Remake style. Meaning that as Ever Crisis OG episodes start being released beyond where the Remake currently is, the developers will not have the Remake backgrounds to draw from and will then move on to copying/tracing the OG backgrounds.

At least the inclusion of the line "Open your eyes! This isn't a normal reactor!" makes me confident that they'll be following the OG script. It would make no sense if they followed Remake and included the Whispers etc, because then it wouldn't be OG and they could definitely not release episodes at any reasonable pace.

...And yet there's the problem that Ever Crisis OG episodes CAN'T be released beyond where the Remake is because in this current model they are using 3D models from Remake for all the boss fights. So eventually they'll either have to make custom models for Ever Crisis OG chapters and/or they will show Remake models in Ever Crisis OG before the corresponding Remake part is out.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
lol why even worry about that?

That's something for the game developers to concern themselves with. They'll figure out how they want to do it :monster:

I doubt they undertook this project without considering that detail, so all we gotta do is wait and see what their finished product is. They got plenty of material to tide them over, so it's not like there's a rush.

It is definitely an "aesthetic concern of luxury" rather than of real concern to the quality of Ever Crisis OG. I would prefer if Ever Crisis had a consistent aesthetic blueprint as its inspiration rather than doing a gradual transition from Remake material to OG versions, but it's not a *problem* strictly speaking.

Chocobo Eater

Pro Adventurer
I think DoC getting revisited and revamped into a more traditional RPG is brilliant, myself. Like... would Vincent's party involve him, Shalua, and Yuffie?! Cait Sith? I love the idea of what this is doing and I'm super, super excited for it. I'm okay with minor retcons to give them a party.

Even CC has a lot of potential for an actual playable party. Angeal, Sephiroth, Tseng, Cissnei, and Cloud are all possible (temporary) party members. Maybe Kunsel and Luxiere get thrown in the mix, too.

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
The in-game conrast between field and battle + seeing Aeris in the Guard Scorpion battle made me think they might be making you use FFVIIRemake characters in all battles in the game (like those Girl Who Forgot Her Name battles in WOFF), or at least any party of a selection of FFVII characters that maybe you have to unlock, and not necesarilly the canon characters present. Although I can't really actually see them doing that.

Although the thing seeing Aeris in that battle made me think of first was the FFVII demo.

Last edited:

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Also they might rotate the release of OG Ever Crisis chapters with the other Compilation title’s Ever Crisis chapters, so it’s not like they will wait until the OG portion is completely done before releasing other Compilation chapters. And if the release schedule is only monthly, it might be a long while before Ever Crisis risks “catching up” to the Remake.

I do wonder how linear/constrained Ever Crisis’ chapters will be and how random battles will work?

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Because it’s the DFFOO team (EDIT: actually probably not?) I assume a few things:

- Story chapters from each respective title will be unlocked in order but will be infinitely repeatable with a New Game+ or Hard mode style. That could explain how they recreated the demo sequence (unless it was just a reference, made for the trailer)

- The game will launch with a decent amount of content and updates once or twice a month in the form of new story chapters or challenge modes. Because it’ll be a paid app (presumably) I’m not sure where they place “engagement” in their priority list, but it will probably be lower than DFFOO

- Unless they somehow get a huge budget, we’ll be seeing more re-used assets than the original game had. Expect a lot of the unique locations to be neutered, and a lot of the dynamic heights reduced to flat isometric maps. (This is what primarily makes me scratch my head graphically. How is this an improvement over pre-rendered PS1 backgrounds?)

- The gameplay loop will likely be party menu > cutscene > battle. Exploration won’t be part of the game (edit: looks like I’m wrong, the first few shots are Cloud moving freely around the map. The character will move towards where you’re pressing the touchscreen I assume?)

- Materia and equipment might be gacha elements. Looks like your characters have five ability slots and a shared party ATB, with some of those ability slots taken up by unique abilities, and some by spells.

Last edited:
Top Bottom