SPOILERS FFVII:R Chapter 18 Spoiler Discussion

oty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ex-soldier boy
idk if they wanted a cheap surprise. I think it was just to show that Sephiroth didnt give two shits to anything. I mean, he stabbed Shinra and he would just leave Barret there?

The moment focuses more on Sephiroth than anyone else. He is the main star piece of that scene.

Also, didnt think people hated Chapter 16-17 as much. I thought it was similar to the original Shinra HQ, in the sense that any kind of realism should be forgotten. I mean, Shinra HQ in the original was a though part for me. Probably my closest moment to calling the game dumb.

Kratos

Pro Adventurer
I didn’t mind chapter 16 as much, although I miss all the little puzzle elements. And the fitness center, for whatever reason.

Chapter 17 is probably the weakest so far, though. I’ll do a more in-depth write up eventually, but structurally it’s all over the place (why not do the drum BEFORE the quiet moment in Aerith’s room?), and it drops several iconic moments without really replacing them with anything.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
I didn’t mind chapter 16 as much, although I miss all the little puzzle elements. And the fitness center, for whatever reason.

Chapter 17 is probably the weakest so far, though. I’ll do a more in-depth write up eventually, but structurally it’s all over the place (why not do the drum BEFORE the quiet moment in Aerith’s room?), and it drops several iconic moments without really replacing them with anything.
Which moments were dropped? The only one I can think of was Barret and Aerith being inside the tube together

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
Chapter 17 desperately needs playable Red. The Drum is the perfect place for a starting character, it's clearly meant for him. And also Arsenal, which was a sour end for the Chapter for me.
Or at least having him attack as a guest in that battle. Since they didn't make him playable in this part, they could've used him more in other ways

Has anybody else stated the obvious, which is that Barret's "death" is a pretty faithful recreation of Aerith's death, aside from the fact that Barret comes back to life, and, of course, that he's stabbed from the front?

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
Has anybody else stated the obvious, which is that Barret's "death" is a pretty faithful recreation of Aerith's death, aside from the fact that Barret comes back to life, and, of course, that he's stabbed from the front?
What do they have in common outside of being on the receiving end of a Sephi-shank? I don't see how it's a recreation at all.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
As soon as he dies, you are forced into a Boss fight with Jenova. You aren't allowed time to take it in. IIRC. Hope I'm not going to look stupid here.
:yass:

Not exactly.

Because right after Barret takes that fatal wound, the Whispers immediately catch him and you see the green energy of healing magic begin to work on him. So you know that he's not just... Dead. It really isn't playing the scene straight as a death scene, more as a display of power and what's going on with Sephiroth working outside of their control.

oty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ex-soldier boy
I wonder if ratings also made a change to the President Shinra's death. I'm pretty sure it did, since in the Remake, Shinra is stabbed with apparently a ghost mist sword. Like I get the sentiment but it honestly made me laugh a bit when Sephiroth killed and freaking gray mist comes out.

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
I wonder if ratings also made a change to the President Shinra's death. I'm pretty sure it did, since in the Remake, Shinra is stabbed with apparently a ghost mist sword. Like I get the sentiment but it honestly made me laugh a bit when Sephiroth killed and freaking gray mist comes out.

My first reaction was undoubtedly a frown. But I remember immediately thinking also that since none of it is real, it kinda makes sense. In fact, one of the best moments illustrating that is with Number 49 coming out, squealing from the shadows of the Jenova illusion melting away.
Jenova Dreamweaver.png

Eerie

Fire and Blood
considering Whisper Bahamut is a reskin of the same summon the party obtains... It might be Cloud, Tifa and Barret.

Actually, while watching Max's game... for an instant when Cloud goes against the Whisper with a blade... I thought he recognised it. He had a surprised face for like, half a second? But maybe I thought too much about it since no one seemed to have noticed it.

Reactions: Wol

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
The exchange between Barret and President Shinra is far more satisfying since it's such a clash of opposite, opposing perspectives. It really gives the audience a glimpse of both their characters, and why President Shinra, hardened over his years of corporate-dictatorial ruthlessness, feels so justified in essentially bleeding the planet dry. Likewise it goes to show how passionate, and driven Barret is to fight for the cause he's pinned his life to. Even to a fault. It's a very raw look at what drives these two characters, and it subsequently ends with a nice, albeit disappointingly censored, impalement :monster:

Top Bottom