FFVII REMAKE CONFIRMED

Lex

Administrator
Anyways, the dedicated Reddit thread hasn’t been used to post any actual spoilers. I’m a little skeptical that anybody else even has the game - or if they do, they’re too busy playing it to go spoiling it online for people. Two weeks feels like an eternity still though.

From the ebay screenshots it looks like all 3 were sold for £100, and they had ship dates for delivery between 31st March and 4th April (next week). I think if we're going to see spoilers start popping up it'll be after that. I definitely believe they were sold going by the ebay listings, it's just pot luck as to the people who managed to buy them.

pxp

Pro Adventurer
The guy who had the copies apparently decided against publicly posting anything because he got ripped into for being a thief by another Redditor through public posts and private messages.

Anyways, the dedicated Reddit thread hasn’t been used to post any actual spoilers. I’m a little skeptical that anybody else even has the game - or if they do, they’re too busy playing it to go spoiling it online for people. Two weeks feels like an eternity still though.
I ordered the the regular version on EBay today, and I’ve been told it’s shipping today. So I should get it this coming Tuesday or Wednesday ...

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
Anticipation for the remake continues to grow...

iu

Knights of the Round

Pro Adventurer
23 years.

That’s how long it’s been since many of us have experienced a game of the magnitude which we’ll see again in a week.

I’ve been playing video games since the Atari 400 when I was 5 years old. I’ve probably played several thousand, if not ten thousand, games in my life. And I have never had a single game come even close to FF7 in terms of experience and emotional impact.

In one week we’ll all greet an old, yet intimately familiar, friend. Looking much different after many years. Yet, underneath its refined and evolved exterior, resides a very familiar spirit and a creative love that will begin to reach into the depths of our souls yet again.

It feels like a dream, but I am eternally thankful that it’s real and that I’ve lived to see this. Those who say it’s ‘just a game’ will never understand what FF7 really means to some of us, the impact it’s had on our lives, and the very difficult times it’s helped many of us get through.

Cloud, Aeris, Tifa, Barret and Nanaki.. I don’t know if I’ve looked forward to anything more than the familiar journey we’ll embark on soon once again.

I’ll see you in Midgar.

oty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ex-soldier boy
Prolly because of patches and stuff? They account for that I think

EDIT: Wait, some people said it's like 95 gb or something. Whats real?

Last edited:

Saven

Pro Adventurer
With everything going on in the world right now, the once quick wait for this game-turned VERY slow crawl to April 10th (for me at least), recent SE blunders, and the fact that this a monumental game to remake and meet expectations for, it is so goddamn relieving that all the first initial impressions have been all positive so far. Just very happy right now

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I'm fine with streamers getting nuked because I'm spiteful and angry, so fuck 'em, but Square really shoulda known what they were getting themselves into.

Lex

Administrator
That's actually super lame. SE shipped the game out to be played. This isn't like when people get illegal copies early on and stream. They got it legit.

I think it's an interesting discussion. On the one hand I would rather people didn't stream until the 10th because all the people not buying the game can then watch and spoil for those who don't have the game yet. Also, Square Enix explicitly asked people not to stream or upload videos until the official release date - this is stated in their "material usage rights" on all social media platforms, which they pointed to in their press release regarding people potentially getting their copies early. To be clear, they shipped with the intention of ensuring that as many people as possible got their copies in time for the official release date, which remains April 10th. The majority of people getting their copies now are getting them through retailers who already had stock and saw an opportunity to sell it by promising early delivery. I ordered off the SE store and it's still sitting at "requested" status. The review embargo hasn't even been lifted yet!

On the other hand yes, I see the point that some people have the game and aren't able to stream it. I can maybe also see the argument that stipulating this in their material usage rights isn't explicit enough, but I do think their press statements make it pretty clear it shouldn't be streamed. And it may also be Square Enix's fault that people have the game this early (though I blame retailers personally). But those people are free to wait and stream on April 10th, if it matters that much to them? Or they can record their gameplay if it's for live reaction purposes.

I think for me, on balance, I would rather the game wasn't streamed or on YouTube until April 10th because that's still the official release date. Millions won't be able to play until that date (all digital customers for example).

Kratos

Pro Adventurer
With everything going on in the world right now, the once quick wait for this game-turned VERY slow crawl to April 10th (for me at least), recent SE blunders, and the fact that this a monumental game to remake and meet expectations for, it is so goddamn relieving that all the first initial impressions have been all positive so far. Just very happy right now

There are some negative impressions floating around out there - entirely from people watching streams rather than playing, mind, but they exist.

Like you, though, I'm glad the people actually playing are largely positive, and 9 days can't come soon enough. It'll be very interesting to see how it reviews - not because reviews matter, so much, but because there's so much baggage that one could conceivably bring to this game:
  • FFVII is a game that people have very personal connections to, which makes it more likely that the translation to a Remake will lose some aspect that meant a lot to somebody.
  • It's JRPG cheese. JRPG cheese isn't everyone's bag.
  • Final Fantasy VII - the original - is a game that received a ton of hype backlash and has continued to ever since release. People will totally grade its much-hyped remake on a curve, just because it gets talked about so much.
  • In the technical department - the way the team has gone on about how visual fidelity made the (already controversial) multi-part structure necessary will make people look closer at its visuals than they might have otherwise (this is something I saw happening a bunch yesterday).
And I'm sure plenty more! I'm currently prepping to not read any reviews at all until I play for this reason - I don't really want to give myself more preconceptions than my dabbles in spoiler threads already have.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Streamers also trying to rush through the game, mashing square in combat, and literally reading nothing in game before taking on quests that inevitably result in Tifa being smashed unconscious while Cloud gets devoured by mutant mako rats, is also a reason for people to have a negative impression. :monster:

It blew my mind watching folks bitch at how grindy and difficult battle was and decry the quests when they were legit skipping scenes or rushing through the tutorial and dialogue. Some people just are in a rush to be first to somehow beat it, get subs and say stuff.

Lex

Administrator
It blew my mind watching folks bitch at how grindy and difficult battle was and decry the quests when they were legit skipping scenes or rushing through the tutorial and dialogue. Some people just are in a rush to be first to somehow beat it, get subs and say stuff.

Weirdly seeing you say this makes me nostalgic. How much have we, over the years, said similar stuff about the original game or Compilation titles? The tradition of us all being grumpy know-it-all VII geeks continues <3

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Yeah, same. Though mentally the wait is making feel this Rick & Morty gif on a spiritual level.
BE9376E6-4909-42A7-80C5-37ED8F41E0BC.gif

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Streamers also trying to rush through the game, mashing square in combat, and literally reading nothing in game before taking on quests that inevitably result in Tifa being smashed unconscious while Cloud gets devoured by mutant mako rats, is also a reason for people to have a negative impression. :monster:

I'm glad because the one of the two streams I managed to catch actually had a player who read everything and was like "oh I see, I think I'm getting the hang of Tifa, wow, she's a beast!" lmao.

Top Bottom