• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

FFVII REMAKE CONFIRMED

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Idk if anyone has mentioned it and I'm at work but Steve Burton is listed as Cloud on the IMDB page for the game

His role as Cloud in the Remake is also listed on his profile on Wikipedia too, but since the trailer came out today and both pages haven't been updated in a while, that can easily change in the very near future.

it's unlikely it will be that long a wait being that -- if they are replaced -- there will probably be a statement forthcoming from the VAs themselves, and if not, the teasers this june and during the promotional run-up will have plenty of voice samples to compare.

it would be zero percent surprising if the characters have been recast, however. as far as i can remember, the only ones who were even voice actors by trade were blum and billingslea (and newbern, though they never let him be great). the rest of them are mostly artefacts of the early aughties when square enix's casting department selected their talent by recruiting jimothy from down the street and blindfolding themselves, opening people magazine, and tossing darts at it.

Yeah, most likely. Either June or sometime the rest of the year we'll find out what on Earth is going on. And if I recall even though I was very young when my parents used to watch the TV show Friends, but I think Newbern made a guest appearance in one of the episodes and I never even noticed.

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
there's not enough words in all the languages I know to express all teh excite in me fajhsdgasjhjasdgsd

Edit: Also, about the VA changing: I haven't seen any mention about the FFVIIR on Steve Burton's twitter, and while it could mean that it hasn't changed, chances are it has changed and SE hasn't let the previous VAs know, (which is what happened with the RE2R, no?).

NamcoBandai did the same thing in the ToV Switch Port where they got a different VA for Yuri Lowell for the new content, and never bothered to contact Troy Baker about doing new extra voicework in the Switch port.

...I'm gonna have to listen to the trailer again to get a 7th opinion on the change.

Last edited:

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Personally, until it’s officially stated otherwise, I’m still of the mind those are the same actors as before, just with different voice direction and/or inflections/tenor compared to from before. They didn’t sound that different to me.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Barret's delivery of that line regarding "watching the rear" was kinda eh but from what I heard before in the trailer, he sounds legit.

Cloud certainly sounds good. Same for Aerith and the others.

Sephiroth is questionable however. I'm really not sure what to think of it. But I'm not enthused but maybe it just was that one line and the rest will be good?

Insufficient data.

Answer hazy. Try again later.

Ok yeah, not just me then.

And I imagine the 90% of the audience who aren't part of the hardcore fandom probably don't care at all. They won't even remember who the past voice actors were.

Um. I dunno about that. I think it's pretty natural for people to be opinionated on voice acting when the vocal delivery of the character's lines are at the forefront of story immersion. How a character sounds and delivers their thoughts and emotion can make or break a scene.

And Steve Burton has been Cloud's voice since 2002. That's a long fucking time to be attached to the character and have that voice be the voice for Cloud everywhere. His work for Cloud isn't even "old." He's the voice of Cloud in Dissidia NT which is a current title. So yeah. It's not about "hardcore," it's about consistency and fans of any stripe are going to care in some sense about it. Because it's the voice. That's almost as important as appearance. If the voice is good, yeah it will work out in the end, but at the same time the fact people already noticed it shows that it's clearly something relevant to the opinions of players.

Last edited:

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
Um. I dunno about that. I think it's pretty natural for people to be opinionated on voice acting when the vocal delivery of the character's lines are at the forefront of story immersion. How a character sounds and delivers their thoughts and emotion can make or break a scene.

I wasn't talking about that. I agreed with that in my first comment.
I was saying I don't care who the voice actors are. It could be Steve Burton or just someone sounds kinda similar. I don't care about that at all.
It more or less fits Cloud, so I'm happy with it.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Girl With A Strong Opinion
Oh man... You made me think of something.

I really can't fucking wait to see how they depict Heidegger and Scarlet.

Like. Oh my fucking God, their portrayal could either be hilariously awesome or hilariously terrible.

But I'll hold onto hope and not expect the worst. :mon:

Along with President Shinra and Palmer.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I copied my screenshots onto my phone cause I have to travel now but MUST. STARE.

So fighting Sahagin in the sewers is the latest in the game we’ve seen to date, which makes me think that part 1 may just be Midgar, and I’m totally fine with that. If this is the quality we’ll be getting, I don’t mind if it’s only 10 hours. That said, if Part 1 goes beyond Midgar, I would love for that to be kept close to the chest. What a treat that would be, a surprise chunk of the story we weren’t expecting!!

One more trailer in June showing us Tifa and a launch date, and this would be a fine hype train leading to a 2020 release.

Last edited:

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
He was disagreeing to the statement that the non-hardcore fans won't care, not whether you will

I only meant they won't care who the voice actors are. I didn't mean they won't care about the quality.
I think that's true. I don't think non-hardcore peeps remember the exact voices for characters well enough to even know if they've changed. They certainly don't remember the actor names.
My brother is a Final Fantasy fan and has played most of the games. Yet when I said the name Nobuo Uematsu, he had no idea who that was. A lot of more casual gamers are like that. They play them once and enjoy it but never think in much detail about it.

Last edited:

Ite

AKA
Ite
I only meant they won't care who the voice actors are. I didn't mean they won't care about the quality.
I think that's true. I don't think non-hardcore peeps remember the exact voices for characters well enough to even know if they've changed.

I can confirm this. I’ve played all the Compilation or watched it on YouTube, but I can’t keep track. I know Mina Suvari and Rachel Leigh Cook were in there at one point, but I never cottoned onto the English actors or direction (at least before now). I’m very picky about Tifa’s voice though so I’ll have to wait and see...

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
I can confirm this. I’ve played all the Compilation or watched it on YouTube, but I can’t keep track. I know Mina Suvari and Rachel Leigh Cook were in there at one point, but I never cottoned onto the English actors or direction (at least before now). I’m very picky about Tifa’s voice though so I’ll have to wait and see...

I know I'm the only one for having much care about voice actors, but I've always been one who disliked changes in voice actors of any characters of any game and anime and movies that I love, and even to this day I still dislike the current voice actors in the Pokemon Anime of the old characters(Ash, Misty, Brock, Team Rocket, ect, pre-Diamond and Pearl anime), and yes I still prefer Mena Suvari's voice as Aerith.

Personally I loved all of the voice actors in Advent Children and I still do. Yuffie however can either have her voice actress from KH1 and Advent Children or KH2 and Dirge of Cerberus since both are actually equally perfect for Yuffie and she's the only one I can pick between the two actresses that I really like.

With everyone else, I wish they all stayed the same since I've grown attatched to them since day one. Yes, sometimes they can't help it with changing voices for important reasons or that certain actors can't do it anymore due to either health problems, or wanting to spend time with family or they had unfortunately passed away and those who are still alive and have life choices and are at least honest about it...

But the fact that no one saw Cloud's new unknown voice actor coming and that Steve's been suddenly replaced when he still voiced Cloud in the recent projects like Dissidia NT and even Mobius's 2018's update which is only last year...that leaves me cold.

Random Nobody

local roach
But the fact that no one saw Cloud's new unknown voice actor coming and that Steve's been suddenly replaced when he still voiced Cloud in the recent projects like Dissidia NT and even Mobius's 2018's update which is only last year...that leaves me cold.
assuming they're different actors. all the voices sound completely dissimilar to me (except for aerith sounding like bowen), but that could presumably be because they have adr direction that is not "say it like you died last week."

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Well, I do hope it's just a voice acting direction and not voice acting replacements for Cloud, Tifa, Reno, and Yuffie at least and I am hoping Blum will reprise his role as Vincent.

But I was hoping that most of the actors from Advent Children would return for the Remake and had been expecting changes in certain characters like Aerith(since that's nothing new to the poor girl) Marlene (since her voice actor in the original version of Advent Children is too old so they need a new child actor obviously), Red XIII(which I agree since he only had six words in total in the entire franchise) and especially Hojo since his original English actor Paul Eiding mentioned that he hated voicing the guy, plus his Japanese actor passed away a few years back.

The rest like everyone like all four Turks, Rufus, Reeve, and everyone else before the Remake was announced I would've loved to see return. But deep down I just had a feeling this would happen if they did suddenly decide to change the voice actors of all of the characters.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
They already replaced Marlene's first actor for Advent Children Complete. And it was a massive upgrade, I loved her ACC voice.

That just proves my point on Marlene being an example of having a constant change since the children actors that voiced her in the past are both now too old and have grown up into young women, so there's no choice for that matter for the poor kid. And, well...I prefer her voice in the original Advent Children. But again, that's just me.

Ite

AKA
Ite
Small detail I noticed: When Barret’s Big Shot detonates (that delay is so satisfying!) the little traffic pylon is knocked by the force of the explosion.

Details like that are going to make this an exceptional game.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Ariel Winter (her Complete voice) still does a lot of young, 'tiny' voices. She could probably still do it if she and they wanted.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
True. She did do voices of Moogles in the past. But somehow I don't think Ariel Winter will reprise her role as Marlene in the remake. She might, but I'm not sure about her.

Ite

AKA
Ite
Okay I’m signing off for the night (I’m actually at an old friends place — we’ve been playing FF7 on his PS Classic!)

Overall, I liked it. The colours, the models, even the VA. Not sure about that music. The fact that Braver now includes a front flip is lol. The one thing I don’t feel positive about is the change to the Cloud/Aeris scene. In the trailer, he seems to have a tweak moment with Aeris (fine) then he brushes her aside as he tries to move along; she stops him by offering him a (presumably free) flower. In the OG, she offers to *sell* Cloud one (albeit at a discount) and whether or not he takes it, SHE walks away from HIM.

I had to say it. I won’t be able to help m’self guys.

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
I think, in that previous trailer, Cloud's voice was just lines from World of Final Fantasy. So it's possible he was never really involved.

Then again, he could be playing early game Cloud in a different way than he plays it once the real Cloud comes out of his Zack shell.

Top Bottom