• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

FFVII REMAKE CONFIRMED

Dragonslayer Ornstein

Pro Adventurer
How would it effectively be made in the style of FFXII? You mean, a map you can select from that abridges the planet? I doubt they could confine FFVII to a single continent and have the whole story told feasibly if they're looking to redo the OG. Just interested in you expanding on that a little.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
given that we're two console generations from ffxii, i was thinking an evolved form of its 'world map' to include travel across more than land. i don't know what they are planning on doing with ffxv in terms of travel, but from the demo it seems like they could manage to replicate the buggy. make a lower res map and give you the ability to pilot the highwind if having an airship on a high res map is a problem (with a small transitional 'highwind landing, fade to black' shot between loading the airship map and walking map). if the sea travel would be better served with a bit of a split then make a separate sea map. underwater i can't see being much of a problem. the only issue with splitting the map would be stuff like gold chocobos which wouldn't be able to seemlessly cross environments (which is assuming that they would still have all the same transportation methods as the original game).

Lex

Administrator
And really, they could deal with that problem by just making the gold chocobo fly this time, and giving the mountain/black chocobo specific jump points over mountains or something.

For sure if they're not doing a world map I'd prefer a XII-like experience, vast expanses of zones kind of thing (which seems to be what XV is doing, just on a much larger scale).

Also, I think Type-0 handles the airship on the world map thing pretty well. When you're walking or using a choco on the world map there are zones, but when you're in the airship it's seamless until you land. I don't see any reason they couldn't do that on a bigger scale for FFVII.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
How big is the world of Final Fantasy VII compared to other recent "AAA" titles? I mean, if No Man's Sky can have hundreds of thousands of stars and planets with no discernible loading screens, surely it's not unthinkable that we could have an open world Final Fantasy VII with full airship flight and everything? GTAV is another example but I think it's a lot smaller geographically.

Also, I think Type-0 handles the airship on the world map thing pretty well. When you're walking or using a choco on the world map there are zones, but when you're in the airship it's seamless until you land. I don't see any reason they couldn't do that on a bigger scale for FFVII.
I'd be fine with that too.

Lex

Administrator
The airship in Type-0 also has cannons to shoot flying enemies. It's like a tiny minigame. I wouldn't mind seeing something like that implemented in VII (think you have to shoot Ultimate a few times to get him to attack or something).

Lex

Administrator
Yeah, it's definitely worth it. The story is good, if badly told (arguably), but the gameplay is really really fun.

Ohzai

Rookie Adventurer
Does this mean this scene will be remade in HD?
197.jpg

XD

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Two reasons: one, it wouldn't be too much work: Final Fantasy XII's code already exceeded the PS2's native capabilities, which you'll notice if you look up an emulated HD playthrough of the game on Youtube or something, and unlike, say, Final Fantasy X, it already had a widescreen setting; and two, the International Zodiac Job System version has, ironically enough, never had an international release.

55-

Probably Evan Townshend
You can see the interview from ~3:03:10 - 3:05:00 (not sure if there's more than just that)

X :neo:
Idk what happened to cause this, but those timestamps now just throw you to Dragon Quest.
Tiny bit about FFVII trailer is at 5:20:35-5:22:51.

Dragonslayer Ornstein

Pro Adventurer
given that we're two console generations from ffxii, i was thinking an evolved form of its 'world map' to include travel across more than land. i don't know what they are planning on doing with ffxv in terms of travel, but from the demo it seems like they could manage to replicate the buggy. make a lower res map and give you the ability to pilot the highwind if having an airship on a high res map is a problem (with a small transitional 'highwind landing, fade to black' shot between loading the airship map and walking map). if the sea travel would be better served with a bit of a split then make a separate sea map. underwater i can't see being much of a problem. the only issue with splitting the map would be stuff like gold chocobos which wouldn't be able to seemlessly cross environments (which is assuming that they would still have all the same transportation methods as the original game).
Did FFXII even have a world map besides the menu? Nono. FFXII only has a field map, it has a *literal* world map with places you can fast travel to Xenoblade style but only with the airship on hand. It had no airship travel that wasn't a menu transition.

FFXII had no jrpg world map (the concept of becoming tiny and going across the world on foot/air/chocobo, not the literal concept of a map) at all. Just a field map.

That's why I'm saying how FFXII done a 'world map' isn't applicable here. It only had field areas and to compensate was in a tiny bit of a small country in a much larger world.

Lex

Administrator
Oh come on, the horribly dramatic voiceovers are what make it a 90's thing :P. Just think of the Xena opening credits XD

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
In the absence of moar trailers, here's my favourite trailer for the original game which I remember being on a demo disc back in the day:

https://youtu.be/dJ-toUi9jDc?list=FLKoWdE7ki2YeYTzE2Yq-t3w

EDIT: There are absolutely no horrible overly dramatic voice-overs in it.

That trailer blew my mind as a kid. I only had a Nintendo 64 but when I saw this I knew that owning a PlayStation was a must.

I watched that shit so many times.

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
I will be honest I only played FFVII for 4 minutes as a kid and I recall having killed Cloud, Tifa and Barrett or Areis in record time because I have no clue what to do. But with this remake, life is giving me a shot to finish what I started.

clowd

Pro Adventurer
Im looking at FFXV videos and just imaging the remake looking like that.

I expect this game to blow me away just as much as the original did.

Dumb Apple

Soul Wrought of Terra Corrupt
AKA
Geostigma, Omega Gist
I remember writing the news post for the Tech Demo of FF7 over on AdventChildren.net...

... Ten. Fucking. Years. Ago.

Top Bottom