FFVII REMAKE CONFIRMED

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
Sorry to hear you didn't win, Lex. As far as the Butterfinger thing goes, though, you guys should still give it a shot if you can. I just got my 5th DLC code, so there's still some out there:

mk-jpg.5309

Now I've got to work on whittling down that stack of Nestle Crunch bars... :mon:

Attachments

• mk.jpg
    mk.jpg
    358.3 KB · Views: 138

Lex

Administrator
I have all 5 butterfinger DLC codes and they're the same, but butterfinger is for North American and Batchelor's for EU, so I don't know if I'll be able to use the codes I have. Like, I can use them on my NA PSN account but I don't know if that'll let me use them on my EU account (it works this way for themes as long as they're both set to use the same primary PS4's).

Misterbadguy

Phantom Lord
AKA
METEODRIVE
I don't think it's a particularly big leap of logic for people to expect a launch day patch really. Fair enough if it doesn't happen since like the guy says, Square have never said there's one coming, but most AAA games have some kind of download on release day.

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
The fact that we've come to accept "Day One Patches" is a problem.

Games should at least try to ship in a complete state. And we as players should expect games to come complete.

I'm all for patches and updates, don't get me wrong. But Day One Patches should only come if they find something wrong with the game when it's already too late...

Or am I crazy?

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
The fact that we've come to accept "Day One Patches" is a problem.

Games should at least try to ship in a complete state. And we as players should expect games to come complete.

I'm all for patches and updates, don't get me wrong. But Day One Patches should only come if they find something wrong with the game when it's already too late...

Or am I crazy?
I completely agree, I feel like as online integration has become more prevelant in the gaming world, less and less care has been taken to ensure the product is up to snuff at launch. The companies are so eager to get their product out there that they ship discs with broken or unfinished games and just patch it after the fact.

I have heard that the early version of the remake has glitches and texture loading issues though, so a day "one" patch isn't totally out of the range of possibility here either.

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
Rather than glitches, what I have noticed is that -sometimes-, certain textures load a bit too late and you end up noticing the low-res (meant to be seen from afar) a bit too much.

That doesn't bother me too much. I'm a bit more concerned with skyboxes. They're a bit... If you don't look too close you won't notice anything wrong with it but if you pay attention, you can tell they're just skyboxes when you look at the back of President Shinra's office or other times.

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
The build that's printed on disc is several weeks (if not over two months) old because they need to first get certificated before going on sale and that can take many weeks (because many softwares are certificated at a time) and because of that they send it as early as possible to not delay the printing phase (which on itself can take many weeks) and thus they use the most recent and stable version of the game they have. In that time period many previously unnoticed problems could be discovered and day one patches can remedy the issues that they may have overlooked.

It really bothers me how "complete" is being misused as meaning error free, because no software is error free.

Last edited:

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
The build that's printed on disc is several weeks (if not over two months) old because they need to first get certificated before going on sale and that can take many weeks (because many softwares are certificated at a time) and because of that they send it as early as possible to not delay the printing phase (which on itself can take many weeks) and thus they use the most recent and stable version of the game they have. In that time period many previously unnotuced problems could be discovered and day one patches can remedy the issues that they may have overlooked.

It really bothers me how "complete" is being misused as meaning error free, because no software is error free.
I understand, I just feel like they've gotten more and more lax about this as time has gone on. Even back in the day games got "patches" like how there are multiple revisions of Ocarina of Time on N64, or hell, even original FF7 with all the additions made to the international version. I just feel like companies are getting sloppy about what they ship out.

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
What you're saying at the end is exactly what I was saying:

But Day One Patches should only come if they find something wrong with the game when it's already too late...

In that time period many previously unnoticed problems could be discovered and day one patches can remedy the issues that they may have overlooked.

So I'm not exactly sure what's bothering you there.

The build that's printed on disc is several weeks (if not over two months) old

The game was announced as having gone gold at the beginning of March. Assuming they announced it late (which could be the case, or not), I'd say it's 5 or 6 weeks ago at most. Definitely not over 2 months.

Also, since I think the meaning of what I wrote was lost somewhere: games used to be released before consoles were connected to the Internet and developers had to be more careful. Because whatever they shipped was impossible to fix.

Since consoles nowadays are very often online, developers tend to take this for granted and push things that little bit more; trying to get shorter development times, stick to difficult release dates, etc. This is not even an opinion. They do because they can.

Assuming what other people's words mean can be a mistake. How about Square-Enix adding part of the ending to KH3? Was that game "incomplete" or just a quick fix?

I'll concede it's not exactly common for game companies to leave chunks of the ending out and add them on Day One Patches but I've seen a good amount of games over the years add CONTENT on Day One Patches. I'm not just talking about errors that need to be solved.

If a game needs a Day One Patch, I'm willing to bet a couple more months of troubleshooting work would have been enough. Don't push things too much just to make impossible release dates. It'd be nice to avoid crunch, which we know Japanese definitely tend to have. My games are important but not so important that I'd prioritize them to other people's health.

Also, if it's not much to ask, Lulcielid, try not sound a bit less stuck-up next time? I've often seen you do that to others and that's none of my business but don't do it to me, okay? :)

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I mean I sort of get doing certain things as a day one patch.

The thing is, this game so far has felt very polished. The only thing I noticed is what everyone else is saying, there's a bunch of textures that always seem to stay at the low level of detail state. This generally happens in the more 'open' sections of the game like sector 7 and 5.
And this is such a low priority type of thing that I get they'd rather do it as a patch rather than delaying printing the discs.

Outside of this, the 1.00 version of this plays well, runs well and doesn't seem to have any obvious glitches or jank.

Also, the digital version seems like it has 9GB more than the disc version so I'm assuming a patch is already included with that. We'll see!

ForceStealer

Double Growth
From my admittedly privileged position of having fairly solid internet. I couldn't really care less about Day One patches. I find the fixation on them being Day One a little odd sometimes. As though if it came a week later people would mind less?

I find a single player game requiring a constant internet connection to be obnoxious and onerous, but a one-time patch? *shrug* We've already conceded that we have to wait for games to install on consoles, so it doesn't really impact my first-time start up.

Last edited:

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I guess I'm just a nostalgic for the days when you just got the game and that was that. Not the classic games were bug free either, but the 1st party ones were at least solid from launch. Its probably more efficient how they do things now.

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
Don't get me wrong. I personally don't mind Day One Patches from a logistic point of view. Even in these days, my Internet is solid enough that I don't get any problem with them. My comment was more general than that.

Top Bottom