• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

FFVII REMAKE CONFIRMED

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Apparently the reason is a complicated issue with Unreal 4 and performance issues. It seems not to be an easy issue to solve without tanking something else. Im just hoping for the background textures to be fixed (like chapter 15, or the view from under the top plate). Everything else is really not a big deal. And hopefully a ps5 update will fix that too.

Yeah, I'm betting that a lot of them will be something that PS5 optimization will address (and is probably what the team has been focusing on a lot since launch, outside of the next game). I also figure that since UE5 is supposed to be able to be really easy to move into from UE4, that there's a possibility that that's another graphical update that we'll be getting next year, as I'd expect that the other games will all be running on UE5 and optimizing the PS5's 3D audio.

What bug in the vent? A kimara bug?

In my playthrough, if you looked into the vents along the way to see the other conversations while going towards the board room, it soft-locked the game, because you couldn't exit back to Cloud. I had to restart the game twice at that part just to be able to see all of the content. Glad that that fix is in.

Additionally, while at a glance, this is basically a nothing patch – there is something that stands out to me a lot as one of those software development world things.

The game only got its first path after 6 months, it was SUPER tiny, but it also corrected an issue with the game soft-locking. That tells you a LOT about what they're currently doing, and what they've been doing. Normally anything that can soft-lock a game is a huge deal to take care of. This is why that's one of the only critical things that got addressed on their patch, because it's one of the few things that is a high priority bug well above any other work that they could've released along with the other fixes.

What that means is that whatever they've been crunching all their time into over the last half a year means that it's not only ALL higher-priority than a soft-locking bug, but that it's also attached to a pre-existing real-world deadline of some kind where they couldn't prioritize this patch set until just now. Additionally, it means that there's a high likelyhood that this is ALSO because their current work required keeping Remake in the exact state that it was at launch. It's only NOW that they've both gotten enough bandwidth to come and start to revisit things for Remake as-is, as well as even been able to make ANY modifications at all.

This is all related to Remake's release date delay.

To me, what this reads as is that they've all been pouring in constant and non-stop effort ever since launch to make sure that Remake runs perfectly optimized on the PS5, in the version that went Gold on PS4. That PS5 launch date is set in stone, and Remake is one of the titles that Sony is going to want them to show off running with the increased capabilities of PS5. In another slightly different world, everything about Remake's development makes it look like it would've been a title to launch the PS5 with, and they've been building the game to be able to thrive on that system, while still run well on PS4.

A patch to the base game is only possible AFTER their PS5-optimized version of the release build of Remake is complete & stable. That means that the development team can now prioritize all of their scoped work on patch sets, because they can apply updates to both builds on PS4 and PS5 at the same time, and run all of their QA and testing against both environments. This means that all of their updates that they release from this point forward don't risk impacting any functionality or stability of the game when it's running on either system.

Essentially, from a development standpoint, you can sort of imagine that this is like if Remake just launched on both PS4 & PS5. If there're any big updates or anything content-wise (i.e. around Chapter 16 on beyond), they'll be under development now and we'll likely see them trying to get some stuff done before the PS5 release – since that's a reason to get people to replay the game on a newer and more powerful system.

I might try to go poking around in Chapter 18 just to see if the little Dev warp-points are still there, but I don't expect that those will have changed just with this tiny patch, since I assume that they'll still be making use of them until we see a more substantial update. They are something that I'm keen on keeping an eye on as patches get released to see if there're any hints about content being updated around those areas. Honestly, this feels like nothing but great news for us, since I think this means that we'll finally start to see things happening.

Also, don't be confused that there are teams working on the next game, because most of those teams fall into two different categories, which is that their work is system agnostic (concept art, story planning, motion capture, voice acting, modelling, etc.) or the work is multi-system-dependent, things like texture-loading, performance, audio configuration, optimization, etc. I can't imagine how crazy it's been trying to make sure that this all still works with COVID sending the whole world remote in the middle of everything, too.

X :neo:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
To me, what this reads as is that they've all been pouring in constant and non-stop effort ever since launch to make sure that Remake runs perfectly optimized on the PS5, in the version that went Gold on PS4.

Honestly, this feels like nothing but great news for us ...

FFVIIR for PS4 owners not planning on even looking at a PS5 before the next installment releases:

?

I kid. =P

A little.

Still, that's insightful analysis. Thanks for providing it, as always.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
FFVIIR for PS4 owners not planning on even looking at a PS5 before the next installment releases: ? I kid. =P A little.

Still, that's insightful analysis. Thanks for providing it, as always.
Sure thing! :awesomonster:

Also – this should equally good news for PS4 owners who won't be getting a PS5... possibly even ever! This tiny patch makes it look like everything development-related with the Remake team has finally gone back to "normal" for what you'd expect to see from them immediately post-launch.

What is in Remake being left alone and then this suddenly coming out makes a TON more sense if they had to treat their PS4 release version as an unchangeable build for several more months of development work, they'd have really pushed to make sure that the build did what they needed, and was ok to be left alone for a while – and the last-minute delay makes more sense now, too. Short of something being absolutely catastrophically unplayable, they wouldn't be able to patch op update ANYTHING until they finished getting whatever that release build was totally optimized on PS5.

The fact that in the release build, everything late-to-post-Chapter 16 is still kinda rough compared to the insane levels of polish that the rest of the game has, and especially Motorball, and the "you can now skip these things" message being very much a dev "oh shit" placeholder. You'd normally expect balance updates around launch to soften that weird experience a little bit, but this would make sense why we wouldn't get them at the time any other game would.

It's why I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if we start to see some bigger patches around content in those parts of the game in the near future, since it all syncs up with what the next release is gonna need, and it's stuff that was clear that they've been WANTING to address. The only thing that I think that might remain outstanding for a while could potentially be the textures. While that primarily looks like an issue with how it's choosing to load the correct textures (which is something that if you can troubleshoot both the PS4 & PS5 versions, you can make a patch set that works without breaking the other) there's also the possibility that they might be holding out for things that're related to UE5, which could push it off until later.

Time well tell, but it looks like good news for everyone!

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
I know I've been skeptical of your patch predictions in the past, but this does lean heavily in the direction of you being right on the money. So if that stuff all happens... damn, dude. Super kudos.
Being skeptical is always a good approach. Keeping my fingers crossed still!

FF7R has been updated with some PS5 support.
Looks like a PS5 support patch happened for God of War as well, so even more good circumstantial evidence that things are looking close to what I was guessing about yesterday.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
At 33:06 in the video, the small patch update and the PS5 power has not solved the (door) textures in FFVR, yet.

Fingers crossed on a future patch, but not TOO concerned unless it also gets the PS4 version, as I expect that having a PS5 is still a ways off for most of us. Good to know that it's not solely a PS5 thing though, and interested in seeing if it does get fixed before UE5 stuff.

Top Bottom