SPOILERS FFVII Remake Frustration Expression Thread (*Open Spoilers*)

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
So I get they probably want combat to be more snappy and stuff but I do miss that burst of energy animation before doing a limit break. Maybe we'll get something flashier for higher tier limits still, who knows though.
But so far, doing Cross-slash feels like using any other ability. In the original the limit breaks felt like minor events. You see that red burst of energy and hear that sound effect and think "that enemy is super FUCKED, son!"

Firstone33

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Daniel
So I get they probably want combat to be more snappy and stuff but I do miss that burst of energy animation before doing a limit break. Maybe we'll get something flashier for higher tier limits still, who knows though.
But so far, doing Cross-slash feels like using any other ability. In the original the limit breaks felt like minor events. You see that red burst of energy and hear that sound effect and think "that enemy is super FUCKED, son!"
We will see the others most footage we seen is usually pre release and likely to change in final game with delay they are likely wanting to keep the other ones as surprises for how different they will look.

Not sure how you would learn new limits but I think seeing that constantly is getting stale myself but at same time building the epicness of how badass the others will look

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
What is funny about that is that most people don't think Jaws is a "shark movie". They think it's a movie about a town responding to a stress/disaster o some kind. The shark in "Jaws" is pretty much a Mcguffin. What the thing threatening the town is doesn't really change the plot of the movie.

Sephrioth isn't like that, not even in the OG. Who and what he is specifically is very important to the plot. Changing Sephiroth to something else would change the entire plot of the game. It also means moving around where Sephrioth is in the game doesn't change the plot a lot.

Firstone33

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Daniel
What is funny about that is that most people don't think Jaws is a "shark movie". They think it's a movie about a town responding to a stress/disaster o some kind. The shark in "Jaws" is pretty much a Mcguffin. What the thing threatening the town is doesn't really change the plot of the movie.

Sephrioth isn't like that, not even in the OG. Who and what he is specifically is very important to the plot. Changing Sephiroth to something else would change the entire plot of the game. It also means moving around where Sephrioth is in the game doesn't change the plot a lot.
No it doesn't having him appear earlier in story than in og where he only starts appearing end of midgar arc but in remake it is clear square wanted to make sephiroth that much more of a major threat without having him actually appear until shinra hq which square confirms that was indeed sephiroth cloud attacks in shinra hq in hollow trailer.

I agree changing sephiroth would ruin the story cause they already before og came out he was already planned to be the main villain I don't know but yeah I saw that lol and just laughed cause jaws just did not want to die and constantly haunted the heroes

oty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ex-soldier boy
I would say not at the beggining. I mean, shortly after Midgar, Sephiroth is constantly mentioned and referenced close to Jaws. You see a monster impaled by him, hear the stories. You believe he is the strongest SOLDIER to ever have existed. His reveal is closely tied in to Cloud's revelations.

It makes sense to make Sephiroth close to Jaws in this Part. Just on this one. Builds him up and keeps the mistery, that the subsequent parts will take care of.

Firstone33

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Daniel
I would say not at the beggining. I mean, shortly after Midgar, Sephiroth is constantly mentioned and referenced close to Jaws. You see a monster impaled by him, hear the stories. You believe he is the strongest SOLDIER to ever have existed. His reveal is closely tied in to Cloud's revelations.

It makes sense to make Sephiroth close to Jaws in this Part. Just on this one. Builds him up and keeps the mistery, that the subsequent parts will take care of.
Indeed they did that with Freddy in nightmare on elm streets we never saw him only heard rumors and by like the second movie he shows up and you realize just how massive a threat he is, this same applies to sephiroth like oh he can't be real he is just a story! But then you see what he did to the zolom and like oh shit! Lol

Reactions: LNK

Kratos

Pro Adventurer
I didn't know we were discussing this here too, but I'll put what I posted in the Chapter 2 Spoiler Thread here:

So, fuck it, I watched the Max video describing all the Chapter 2 stuff. I'm actually...you know, kinda down with the idea of Sephiroth being some weirdo mental ghost that taunts Cloud a bunch.

So thinking about it from the perspective of a new player: there are hints at weird glitchy moments from our Cool Dude hero. Something's up with him. We know he has a history with the villains, and that he left the military for whatever reason...then, as things burn around him after the bombing mission, we see snippets of another place, a traumatic moment, and this guy who taunts him about various things (including his failure to save others). It's a neat bit of psychological torture.

It's obviously very different from the original, both in terms of Seffy's presence but also in terms of the entire vibe and mood of that part of the game, but what works about it for me is that it allows Sephiroth to be seen more often in the game while still building his mystique and still allowing for an "oh shit" moment when he turns up for realsies. Because in this specific context, he's not really THERE there - he's a part of the protagonist's trauma, and hint at his backstory, a psychological threat...until suddenly he's a much more tangible one.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I'm incredibly critical of square enix and don't really think they've made anything very good in at least 15 years.

That being said, I am super hype for what I've seen so far. Square's handling of the FF7 through the 2000s was beyond tacky, but with the landscape of gaming today, seeing a game company actually taking into consideration what their fans want is a giant breath of fresh air.

I am not sure the AAA format was ever going to produce the FF7 remake I personally imagined. Gaming has changed way too much since 1997. FF7 helped take video game's initial steps into full-blown, cinematic storytelling. It was never going to be the same from a narrative standpoint, and it doesn't surprise me that the story has been restructured significantly as a result.

From what I've seen so far, the production of this game is coming from a place of genuine love for the original. That's all I'm really asking for going in. There's a little part of me that hopes this game will make Square return to form as they were in the 90s-early 2000s, but I realize that's asking for a lot lol.

Replying to this because Jim Sterling made a video that goes through this a whole lot better than I did

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
It's hard to argue with his primary point there. The love of these Remakes largely stems from the dislike of a lot of modern gaming trends.

On the flip side of that, and I've written out a script for a video about this, it may lead to further stagnation of creativity in the medium. I'm not sure where they'll go from here, but I can't help but feel this pull toward the past may wind up being a bad thing in the long run.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
It's hard to argue with his primary point there. The love of these Remakes largely stems from the dislike of a lot of modern gaming trends.

On the flip side of that, and I've written out a script for a video about this, it may lead to further stagnation of creativity in the medium. I'm not sure where they'll go from here, but I can't help but feel this pull toward the past may wind up being a bad thing in the long run.

A pull to the past has been the overarching trend in entertainment media for almost the past 20 years. It's everywhere. However, to just evaluate VII-R or RE2 and RE3's Remakes as simple nostalgia bombs is to completely ignore the level of new injected creative talent and perspective that is present to makes them transformative works beyond the source material that originated them.

This is why a 1:1 Remake was never the interest of the developers and they've worked so hard to retool and redefine so many scenes and plot threads beyond just a simple retelling of the game. New creative energy has to cycle into this and that's what they're doing.

Look beyond the fact it's FFVII, and you see the amount of innovative and new creative concepts being utilized in the development of this game. This is an incredible synthesis of action/ATB that I never would have imagined, not to mention the smoothness and integration of the scene transitions.

For S-E at least, this is an incredible step forward even through a revisitation of the past.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Too much change too soon is as bad as too little change that never comes.

FFXIII is a good example of too much change, too soon. And a lot of the FF games SE has come out with since FFXIII can be seen as a response to how FF fans criticized FFXIII. Namely, the story/world was too linear and the battle system felt too confining. Especially when compared to the freedom of both systems in FFXII.

One of the great things about FFVIIR is that SE knows they have a story and world people want to experience. So they don't have to spend anywhere near as much time developing the story/world of FFVIIR as they would with a new game. What they are experimenting around a lot with is the battle system, character progression and item functions. Those are all very different than the OG.

Assuming this experiment works, SE will probably get a lot of good feedback on what fans want to see more of in a battle system and what they weren't so hot on. And having good feedback that isn't just "this sucks, we want something totally different" is very, very valuable. Especially when the over-all reception of a game is that it was great.

So long as SE learns from what they do with FFVIIR and builds on those lessons when they make more orriginal stories again, I think them going back and remaking FFVIIR will have been worth it.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I’d say a pull to the past is something we’ve *noticed* in the last 20 years. Before that it was the 90s, where the biggest things were the Brady Bunch movie, the Addams Family movie, the Matthew Broderick Godzilla, the Charlie’s Angels movie, the Casper movie, rebooting Looney Tunes via Space Jam, the Sabrina the Teenage Witch sitcom, the Mission Impossible movie, George of the Jungle movie, the Mummy remake, Return to Oz, Star Trek: the Next Generation, Disney’s Tarzan, Alien: Resurrection, Star Wars the Special Edition, Grease back in theatres.... If I had been as grumpy and old as I am now back then I would have been shouting to high heaven that it was all sequels and reboots these days.

Firstone33

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Daniel
Replying to this because Jim Sterling made a video that goes through this a whole lot better than I did

I partly agree but got to give them respect and some credit they tried their hardest to give us good ff games especially one that could match that of ffvii and if honest xv was the closest with xiii and xii of course that is just me

Reactions: Wol

Firstone33

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Daniel
I’d say a pull to the past is something we’ve *noticed* in the last 20 years. Before that it was the 90s, where the biggest things were the Brady Bunch movie, the Addams Family movie, the Matthew Broderick Godzilla, the Charlie’s Angels movie, the Casper movie, rebooting Looney Tunes via Space Jam, the Sabrina the Teenage Witch sitcom, the Mission Impossible movie, George of the Jungle movie, the Mummy remake, Return to Oz, Star Trek: the Next Generation, Disney’s Tarzan, Alien: Resurrection, Star Wars the Special Edition, Grease back in theatres.... If I had been as grumpy and old as I am now back then I would have been shouting to high heaven that it was all sequels and reboots these days.
I know the feeling I am gonna be thirty one April 16th and though not old I feel old seeing stuff I remember as a kid coming back but like better and vii remake is one of them a game that is out of all ff games my number one favorite and will always be

Reactions: Ite

Firstone33

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Daniel
Too much change too soon is as bad as too little change that never comes.

FFXIII is a good example of too much change, too soon. And a lot of the FF games SE has come out with since FFXIII can be seen as a response to how FF fans criticized FFXIII. Namely, the story/world was too linear and the battle system felt too confining. Especially when compared to the freedom of both systems in FFXII.

One of the great things about FFVIIR is that SE knows they have a story and world people want to experience. So they don't have to spend anywhere near as much time developing the story/world of FFVIIR as they would with a new game. What they are experimenting around a lot with is the battle system, character progression and item functions. Those are all very different than the OG.

Assuming this experiment works, SE will probably get a lot of good feedback on what fans want to see more of in a battle system and what they weren't so hot on. And having good feedback that isn't just "this sucks, we want something totally different" is very, very valuable. Especially when the over-all reception of a game is that it was great.

So long as SE learns from what they do with FFVIIR and builds on those lessons when they make more orriginal stories again, I think them going back and remaking FFVIIR will have been worth it.
Xiii was great telling the characters stories but the linearity I agree was not good and in my opinion games are not about gameplay it is about the story and the characters vii remake is expanded the story as well making some slight changes to it and the characters as well

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
If books tell a story through writing style, then games tell stories through gameplay style. Different authors use different writing styles and you can tell when the writting style of a book detracts from the plot of a book. Games work similarly. Different studios use different gameplay syles then others do to get feelings and ideas across to the player. And you can definetly tell when a game's story is good, but the gameplay used to tell the story doesn't feel right.

A good example is to compare the gameplay of the Final Fantasy games with the gameplay of oh... Neir: Automana. The gameplay of Final Fantasy games doesn't matter all that much to the story being told. The gameplay of Neir: Automana matters a lot to the story. Stuff like UI, and levels don't really have a function in Final Fantasy games. In Neir: Automana, anything you see on the screen is something the characters also see. Whether that is the UI glitching out on you, HP bars, damage numbers, etc.

Elisa Maza

Whomst
Oh, a useful thread!

Keeping in mind that the game is not out yet and these complaints that I have may be become obsolete, here I present my peeve so far:

Aerith's death. Or rather, the foreshadowing for it and how they're subtly changing its impact.

From the very beginning of the game, Aerth cannot even kneel in front of the leaking pipe in peace; his theme and the Dementors/Guardians of Fate/Whatever invade the scene. Oh, but what could it mean?!
Her flowers fall on the ground and someone stomps on the yellow one, the kind of flower that symbolizes her while Sephiroth's theme echoes and there's a boom in the music. Oh, but what could it mean?!!
Aerith no longer stands up while the camera pans out and zooms out from her place to the title of the game; she's kneeling while her hands hold the flower in a pose that resembles prayer and that's exactly the pose she had when she died. OH, BUT WHAT COULD IT MEAN?!

Sephiroth, as a mind ghost for Cloud literally walks around Aerith while you meet her for the first time, mocking him how "He can't save anyone." OH, BUT WHAT COULD IT MEAN?????!!!!

Like... OK, I get it. We ALL get it. She dies. He kills her. I get it. I GET IT, I SAID. STOP HITTING ME ON THE HEAD WITH THIS SLEDGEHAMMER OF *~FORESHADOWING~* KITASE, OR WHOEVER WAS WHO HAD THESE IDEAS. :@ I got multiple bumps and a headache.

It isn't necessarily the fact that there *is* foreshadowing, but the way they go about to do it. They're selling Aerith as "The One Who Dies" too hard for my liking. :nah: She was... more, you know?

Adding to that, I fear that with the Compilation, her role as "a symbol of Cloud's failures" has become so cemented that her losing her life will end up meaning something to Cloud in an imbalanced way. That was a young, joyous, flirty, spunky woman losing her life; it's tragic enough. The only reason Aerith's death can be argued not to be the "Woman in the Refrigerator" trope (which I HATE) in the OG was because it was bound to the bigger theme of life and death and Cloud wasn't the focus of the feelings her loss left behind. Everyone's feelings were. I found Tifa caressing Aerith's face when the latter died more impactful than Cloud laying her to rest in the lake.

In the OG, Aerith died for the story; I'm worried that the Remake will imbalance it towards "for Cloud's pain and insecurity that he cannot save anyone" too much. Yeah, yeah, main character and all, ACC had that as well, blah, blah, but it did happen balanced in the OG, no need to focus on Cloud THAT much.

Especially,
when the Remake retconed in that Sephiroth butchered Cloud's mother in front of him with the Masamune, exactly what he does to Aerith. Like, WOW, subtle there! /s

It's these nuances that I fear may change the story a little too much. Again, yes, Remake, modern storytelling, but different doesn't mean change of focus. Come on.

Firstone33

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Daniel
True I just felt the story and characters were what the game is about never the gameplay not that I have anything against that I love just as much as anyone going out and beating the crap out of the villain of game lol
Games tell stories through gameplay, if they don't then they might as well be graphical or visual novels. :monster:

Firstone33

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Daniel
Hey we all have different opinions I noticed that myself though how she kneels as she picks up the fallen flowers almost like a foreshadowing and how Max says sephiroth pushes her away and tells cloud he cannot save her or anyone or even himself or something like that but the thing is maybe they are doing that for new fans to vii who never played the original I think that square wants to give newcomers a story to tell that we already know about from beginning to end.

In my eyes vii remake is not only for the old generation but for the new generation of ff fans to enjoy, mainly the latter when dirge came out we knew what to expect story wise same with crisis core, with remake square wants to tell a story to the new fans give them an experience we veteran fans know about already....gosh hard to explain I hope you understand what I am getting at never was good at all explaining things
Oh, a useful thread!

Keeping in mind that the game is not out yet and these complaints that I have may be become obsolete, here I present my peeve so far:

Aerith's death. Or rather, the foreshadowing for it and how they're subtly changing its impact.

From the very beginning of the game, Aerth cannot even kneel in front of the leaking pipe in peace; his theme and the Dementors/Guardians of Fate/Whatever invade the scene. Oh, but what could it mean?!
Her flowers fall on the ground and someone stomps on the yellow one, the kind of flower that symbolizes her while Sephiroth's theme echoes and there's a boom in the music. Oh, but what could it mean?!!
Aerith no longer stands up while the camera pans out and zooms out from her place to the title of the game; she's kneeling while her hands hold the flower in a pose that resembles prayer and that's exactly the pose she had when she died. OH, BUT WHAT COULD IT MEAN?!

Sephiroth, as a mind ghost for Cloud literally walks around Aerith while you meet her for the first time, mocking him how "He can't save anyone." OH, BUT WHAT COULD IT MEAN?????!!!!

Like... OK, I get it. We ALL get it. She dies. He kills her. I get it. I GET IT, I SAID. STOP HITTING ME ON THE HEAD WITH THIS SLEDGEHAMMER OF *~FORESHADOWING~* KITASE, OR WHOEVER WAS WHO HAD THESE IDEAS. :@ I got multiple bumps and a headache.

It isn't necessarily the fact that there *is* foreshadowing, but the way they go about to do it. They're selling Aerith as "The One Who Dies" too hard for my liking. :nah: She was... more, you know?

Adding to that, I fear that with the Compilation, her role as "a symbol of Cloud's failures" has become so cemented that her losing her life will end up meaning something to Cloud in an imbalanced way. That was a young, joyous, flirty, spunky woman losing her life; it's tragic enough. The only reason Aerith's death can be argued not to be the "Woman in the Refrigerator" trope (which I HATE) in the OG was because it was bound to the bigger theme of life and death and Cloud wasn't the focus of the feelings her loss left behind. Everyone's feelings were. I found Tifa caressing Aerith's face when the latter died more impactful than Cloud laying her to rest in the lake.

In the OG, Aerith died for the story; I'm worried that the Remake will imbalance it towards "for Cloud's pain and insecurity that he cannot save anyone" too much. Yeah, yeah, main character and all, ACC had that as well, blah, blah, but it did happen balanced in the OG, no need to focus on Cloud THAT much.

Especially,
when the Remake retconed in that Sephiroth butchered Cloud's mother in front of him with the Masamune, exactly what he does to Aerith. Like, WOW, subtle there! /s

It's these nuances that I fear may change the story a little too much. Again, yes, Remake, modern storytelling, but different doesn't mean change of focus. Come on.

Reactions: LNK
Top Bottom